PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Tatum Assessment from The Ringer

mr. synellinden
01-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Here is what I think is a very spot on assessment of Tatum's game (https://theringer.com/jayson-tatums-old-game-could-use-some-new-tricks-c37f49bb21b8#.oo0a4vr9m) and his NBA prospects from The Ringer.

The two things that stand out to me as key areas of improvement (both of which are referenced in the story (and they are interrelated) are: (1) shot selection - he seems to take too many contested/difficult shots - very often relatively long two point shots; and (2) ability to find the open man when he drives into the lane (there is a great clip in this story of him driving, the defense collapsing on him and Grayson being wide open in the corner but Tatum not having the awareness to find him).

djp10
01-19-2017, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting. I quickly read the article and noticed they didn't mention his carelessness with the ball. His decision making has been pretty bad.

I also haven't been thrilled with his general lack of hustle and lethargic on-ball defense. I'm pretty disappointed with his play so far given he's one of the most—if not the most—talented players on the team. Hopefully he can pick up his play; he'll have to for this team to compete for a championship.

Spanarkel
01-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Here is what I think is a very spot on assessment of Tatum's game (https://theringer.com/jayson-tatums-old-game-could-use-some-new-tricks-c37f49bb21b8#.oo0a4vr9m) and his NBA prospects from The Ringer.

The two things that stand out to me as key areas of improvement (both of which are referenced in the story (and they are interrelated) are: (1) shot selection - he seems to take too many contested/difficult shots - very often relatively long two point shots; and (2) ability to find the open man when he drives into the lane (there is a great clip in this story of him driving, the defense collapsing on him and Grayson being wide open in the corner but Tatum not having the awareness to find him).

Interesting article. I would say overall it's accurate but toward the end the author states that Jayson "lacks the broad shoulders..." of players like Carmelo and Jabari. My impression is that Tatum has quite broad shoulders and is physically imposing(and is obviously still maturing).

weezie
01-19-2017, 08:52 AM
^^^ Yeah, the "shoulders" seems to be another irritating sports writer statement. Unless Senor Ringer is using it as a metaphor for "climb on, let's go," neither of which quite encompasses the two players referenced?

rsvman
01-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Interesting article. I would say overall it's accurate but toward the end the author states that Jayson "lacks the broad shoulders..." of players like Carmelo and Jabari. My impression is that Tatum has quite broad shoulders and is physically imposing(and is obviously still maturing).

It's a metaphor. The writer isn't suggesting that Tatum's physical shoulders aren't broad.

Edouble
01-19-2017, 10:01 AM
It's a metaphor. The writer isn't suggesting that Tatum's physical shoulders aren't broad.

Yes, he is suggesting that Tatum's shoulders are not broad. It is not a metaphor.

Quote: "Tatum is only 18, so he should be able to put on some weight as he gets older, but he lacks the broad shoulders of players like Carmelo Anthony and Jabari Parker or the raw athleticism of guys like Paul George and Andrew Wiggins."

He is talking about Tatum's physical makeup compared to current NBA players.

Spanarkel
01-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Yes, he is suggesting that Tatum's shoulders are not broad. It is not a metaphor.

Quote: "Tatum is only 18, so he should be able to put on some weight as he gets older, but he lacks the broad shoulders of players like Carmelo Anthony and Jabari Parker or the raw athleticism of guys like Paul George and Andrew Wiggins."

He is talking about Tatum's physical makeup compared to current NBA players.

Agree. I didn't take the "broad shoulders" comment as a metaphor at all.

madscavenger
01-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Agree. I didn't take the "broad shoulders" comment as a metaphor at all.

And you shouldn't. Its a simile.

rasputin
01-19-2017, 02:40 PM
And you shouldn't. Its a simile.

Nope, not a simile. If it's either of these things, it's a metaphor.

madscavenger
01-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Nope, not a simile. If it's either of these things, it's a metaphor.

He's talking about the broad shoulders comment, not the broad shoulders; a simile, i believe.

rsvman
01-19-2017, 05:18 PM
I stand corrected, perhaps?

If that guy thinks Tatum doesn't have broad shoulders then perhaps he should get a new set of lenses for his glasses. I don't expend much energy looking at player's shoulders, and I haven't watched a Knicks game in a long time, but I would venture a guess that Tatum's shoulders are at least as broad as those of Carmelo Anthony.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure why a player would need massive shoulders in order to be a good NBA player......

gotoguy
01-19-2017, 06:45 PM
That Kevin Durant, he's got some broad shoulders. Wait...

kmspeaks
01-19-2017, 07:22 PM
I found this chart quite interesting.

If I'm reading this correctly Tatum is second in the country in isolations, and 3rd in points per possession in isolation. The article says the chart contains players from their lottery big board, which is what they consider the top 14 NBA prospects. I suppose it's possible there are some players with higher points per possession that didn't make the cut for the Ringer's big board but I'm not sure how likely that is. According to KenPom Duke's offense (adjusted for opponents) overall scores 1.195 points per possession and that's good for 9th in the country. So Tatum in isolation is only slightly less efficient than one of the best offenses in the country, although those numbers also include Tatum's isolation possessions. Not to say he doesn't need to improve his shot selection, passing, and decision making with the ball in his hands, but maybe Tatum hasn't been quite as bad as the couple fade away long 2pt jumpers that stick out in our minds might make us think.

pfrduke
01-19-2017, 07:47 PM
I found this chart quite interesting.
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7088&stc=1

If I'm reading this correctly Tatum is second in the country in isolations, and 3rd in points per possession in isolation. The article says the chart contains players from their lottery big board, which is what they consider the top 14 NBA prospects. I suppose it's possible there are some players with higher points per possession that didn't make the cut for the Ringer's big board but I'm not sure how likely that is. According to KenPom Duke's offense (adjusted for opponents) overall scores 1.195 points per possession and that's good for 9th in the country. So Tatum in isolation is only slightly less efficient than one of the best offenses in the country, although those numbers also include Tatum's isolation possessions. Not to say he doesn't need to improve his shot selection, passing, and decision making with the ball in his hands, but maybe Tatum hasn't been quite as bad as the couple fade away long 2pt jumpers that stick out in our minds might make us think.

It's 2nd and 3rd on the chart. As you can see from the last column, Tatum's scoring in ISO situations is in the 87th percentile, so very high, but not on the extreme end of the distribution as it would be if he were 3rd in the country.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Sorry, I saw Tatum IRL, and my first comment was "man shoulders." Sorta negates the rest of the article.

Tripping William
01-19-2017, 09:07 PM
In cinderblocks. How wide are those shoulders in cinderblocks? :rolleyes: