PDA

View Full Version : Reiter: Quit Beating Up on Grayson Allen

NM Duke Fan
01-17-2017, 11:33 AM
"A recent overreaction came last week when Allen supposedly shoved Florida State assistant coach Dennis Gates while trying to chase down a loose ball.

Give. Me. A. Freaking. Break.

Oregon star Dillon Brooks kicked someone in the private parts that same week, and there was no fevered outcry. Allen got the brunt of the anger and resentment, even though the coach in question told everyone to relax."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/yes-grayson-allen-needs-to-rein-it-in-but-were-the-ones-whove-gone-too-far/

g-money
01-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Along similar lines, I'm a Warriors fan, but it amazes me how Draymond pulls far worse on the court than Grayson and gets a fraction of the media response.

Does Michele Beadle think Draymond should take a beating for his open court tackle last night? Lol.

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Along similar lines, I'm a Warriors fan, but it amazes me how Draymond pulls far worse on the court than Grayson and gets a fraction of the media response.

Does Michele Beadle think Draymond should take a beating for his open court tackle last night? Lol.

i was just gonna start a thread about Draymond and his most recent incident. I fully support a multiple game suspension for Draymond. If not, i hope he pulls some incredibly childish stunt in the Finals vs the Cavs again, that causes GSW to lose, again. I don't hate on GSW, and Steph Curry is a joy to watch, but Green is a cancer. Whichever team he's on, i hope they lose.
His wildly flailing legs that end up kicking people in the head/nuts/chest/legs and his wildly flailing arms that end up hitting people in the nuts etc are totally unsportsmanlike and not "basetball" plays. He has a long, sordid history of these things, and as such, the NBA should pursue a multiple game suspension with a massive fine.

CDu
01-17-2017, 05:19 PM

i was just gonna start a thread about Draymond and his most recent incident. I fully support a multiple game suspension for Draymond. If not, i hope he pulls some incredibly childish stunt in the Finals vs the Cavs again, that causes GSW to lose, again. I don't hate on GSW, and Steph Curry is a joy to watch, but Green is a cancer. Whichever team he's on, i hope they lose.
His wildly flailing legs that end up kicking people in the head/nuts/chest/legs and his wildly flailing arms that end up hitting people in the nuts etc are totally unsportsmanlike and not "basetball" plays. He has a long, sordid history of these things, and as such, the NBA should pursue a multiple game suspension with a massive fine.

Green is a punk for sure. But that "tackle" doesn't even register as an issue for me. It was a hard foul, but LeBron flopped to sell it. I am maybe okay with the flagrant 1. But it was borderline at that. It was a common foul to stop a fast break with perhaps a bit more contact than necessary. But the only reason this foul was news was because Green has hit/kicked people in the junk and because LeBron is clever enough to fool officials.

I am sure Green will do something worthy of suspension in due time. But this wasn't it.

That being said, great article on Allen.

kmspeaks
01-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Great article, heads up to everyone else - don't read the comments.

flyingdutchdevil
01-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Green is a punk for sure. But that "tackle" doesn't even register as an issue for me. It was a hard foul, but LeBron flopped to sell it. I am maybe okay with the flagrant 1. But it was borderline at that. It was a common foul to stop a fast break with perhaps a bit more contact than necessary. But the only reason this foul was news was because Green has hit/kicked people in the junk and because LeBron is clever enough to fool officials.

I am sure Green will do something worthy of suspension in due time. But this wasn't it.

Isn't the latest Draymond issue the same approach the media has taken with Grayson? With a "history" of tripping, any incident/"unnatural movement"/overly aggressive play would garner news and be deemed controversial.

I don't like Draymond and, like CDu, consider him to be a punk. And, sadly, I click on all articles about Draymond because of my dislike. OMG - is this how all non-Duke fans feel about Grayson? Oh no...

kAzE
01-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Isn't the latest Draymond issue the same approach the media has taken with Grayson? With a "history" of tripping, any incident/"unnatural movement"/overly aggressive play would garner news and be deemed controversial.

I don't like Draymond and, like CDu, consider him to be a punk. And, sadly, I click on all articles about Draymond because of my dislike. OMG - is this how all non-Duke fans feel about Grayson? Oh no...

I hate those articles about Grayson and I still click on them . . . . I know I'm feeding the click bait, but I can't help it . . .

That said, there still seems to be a huge double standard for these incidents on ESPN because of the amount of clicks Duke generates. If Grayson had pulled what Draymond did last night in a game, I think ESPN would calling for his expulsion from the program.

CDu
01-17-2017, 05:31 PM
I hate those articles about Grayson and I still click on them . . . . I know I'm feeding the click bait, but I can't help it . . .

That said, there still seems to be a huge double standard for these incidents on ESPN because of the amount of clicks Duke generates. If Grayson had pulled what Draymond did last night in a game, I think ESPN would calling for his expulsion from the program.

I think you both are correct. I do think the media is overselling this on the back of Green's past. But I also think they would be overselling it MORE if it was Allen.

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Green made no play on the ball, so definitely a Flagrant 1. He was not in Lebron's path and in fact ran directly across the court, led with his shoulder and went strait at him with no intention of stopping the ball, so i disagree withe idea that it was a common foul. Draymond's a big boy (so is Lebron), so when he leads with his shoulder, he's gonna be tackling people, so i also disagree withe idea that Lebron "flopped" or sold the foul.
True that he didn't punch or kick anybody this time, but a history of blatantly unsportsmanlike plays like that deserve an ever escalating response. First time, yeah, F1 foul only. Second time, yeah, a 1-game suspension. After that, the penalty has to go up, or next thing you know he might even trip somebody! (snark)

fuse
01-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Rolling Stone has an article up on Grayson and how this is good for Grayson, Duke and college basketball. Not linked.

CDu
01-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Green made no play on the ball, so definitely a Flagrant 1. He was not in Lebron's path and in fact ran directly across the court, led with his shoulder and went strait at him with no intention of stopping the ball, so i disagree withe idea that it was a common foul. Draymond's a big boy (so is Lebron), so when he leads with his shoulder, he's gonna be tackling people, so i also disagree withe idea that Lebron "flopped" or sold the foul.
True that he didn't punch or kick anybody this time, but a history of blatantly unsportsmanlike plays like that deserve an ever escalating response. First time, yeah, F1 foul only. Second time, yeah, a 1-game suspension. After that, the penalty has to go up, or next thing you know he might even trip somebody! (snark)

I think you are overstating the degree of contact, and underestimating LeBron's powers of exaggeration of contact (and in some cases non-contact). He didn't lead with his shoulder, he just crossed into LeBron's path and stuck his arm out to make clear it was a foul. James is so strong that had Green not done that James would barrel through a touch foul and get the dunk and the refs probably don't call a foul at all.

There is most certainly contact. But LeBron sells the heck out of it.

The reason I called it a common foul is because (1) I don't think there was nearly the contact you suggest and (2) the NBA frequently allows for common fouls with minimal/no play on the ball. It was perhaps a bit more contact than a typical common foul, but I think at most only a bit. Which is why I said I was ok with a flagrant 1. But his intent was to prevent a fast break highlight for LeBron. It was sloppy, and KeBron is clever, so it wound up looking worse than it was.

But, again, LeBron absolutely flopped. If you need a refresher on LeBron's history of flopping, I am sure it can be arranged.

sagegrouse
01-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Rolling Stone has an article up on Grayson and how this is good for Grayson, Duke and college basketball. Not linked.

Here's the link (http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/duke-blue-devils-grayson-allen-is-good-for-ncaa-basketball-w461270).

FadedTackyShirt
01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Was a Warriors and Jeff Mullins fan before I knew Duke even existed. Can't stand Draymond or ESPN, but also think Grayson isn't a worthy hill to die on for pro or anti Duke partisans. Grayson's a good player who let his team down and has become a distraction. He's not Draymond, Barry Bonds, Suh, or Burfict, but he's also not Grant Hill or Steph. Everyone would be well advised to move on to the next click bait of the week.

Old Gold 89
01-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Oh my god, so far Reiter's article on Grayson has generated more than 400 comments! It was posted 9 hours ago!

mo.st.dukie
01-17-2017, 07:21 PM
At this point I'm starting to find the phenomenon really fascinating and cool. I don't care what people say about him, it's mostly just tough guy talk and the media trying to increase their bottomline, but the human aspects are interesting. Does any other sports team in America create this much passion and emotion from the general sports viewing public? Maybe the Patriots but I can't think of anymore. It's amazing Duke basketball elicits this kind of emotion from people. It's like a smaller scale Trump vs. Clinton

-jk
01-17-2017, 07:27 PM
At this point I'm starting to find the phenomenon really fascinating and cool. I don't care what people say about him, it's mostly just tough guy talk and the media trying to increase their bottomline, but the human aspects are interesting. Does any other sports team in America create this much passion and emotion from the general sports viewing public? Maybe the Patriots but I can't think of anymore. It's amazing Duke basketball elicits this kind of emotion from people. It's like a smaller scale Trump vs. Clinton

It's why we get more nationally televised games than any NBA team year after year - and they play twice as many!

I'll hate when we're irrelevant again...

-jk

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Was a Warriors and Jeff Mullins fan before I knew Duke even existed. Can't stand Draymond or ESPN, but also think Grayson isn't a worthy hill to die on for pro or anti Duke partisans. Grayson's a good player who let his team down and has become a distraction. He's not Draymond, Barry Bonds, Suh, or Burfict, but he's also not Grant Hill or Steph. Everyone would be well advised to move on to the next click bait of the week.

I agree with this. I feel the best way to deal with this is to just ignore it and let it fade away. Any protests, indignation, letters to the editor, angry chants just pop the links back to the top of the page.

Let me know when the top ESPN article is something related to Duke basketball and doesn't focus on Grayson's misdeeds. Until then, I am disinterested.

JetpackJesus
01-17-2017, 07:50 PM
"A recent overreaction came last week when Allen supposedly shoved Florida State assistant coach Dennis Gates while trying to chase down a loose ball.

Give. Me. A. Freaking. Break.

Oregon star Dillon Brooks kicked someone in the private parts that same week, and there was no fevered outcry. Allen got the brunt of the anger and resentment, even though the coach in question told everyone to relax."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/yes-grayson-allen-needs-to-rein-it-in-but-were-the-ones-whove-gone-too-far/

I'm surprised Reiter did not mention Chris Paul's career when going through his examples of players who have done worse things.

kshepinthehouse
01-17-2017, 08:14 PM

If you think Green could legitimately knock Lebron down in that manner I have some magic beans to sell you. You can argue foul or flagrant if you want but Lebron definitely exaggerated. Lebron is too big and strong to go down that easily. See Nazr Mohammed/Lebron if you want to see an even bigger flop by Lebron.