PDA

View Full Version : WBB: UNC @ Duke

burnspbesq
01-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Duke leads by 15 at the half. After a tight first quarter in which the Cheaters were able to get dribble penetration, Duke went to the matchup zone and Carolina couldn't get anything to drop. Second quarter was 18-4. The bigger Duke post players are dominating; points in the paint are 22-6.

Carolina is better than I thought, but unless we switch off defensively, this should not be close at the end.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Messy third, but still holding onto a 15 pt. lead. Would be nice to see the women blow the last quarter open and put this game away. GTHC!

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2017, 08:58 PM
We had problems finding the basket the second half, but I'll take a 12 point win over the Heels any day. Our House!

burnspbesq
01-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Duke wins, 70-58. Final margin is a little misleading; Duke missed a bunch of FTs in the fourth quarter.

Nice bounce-back performance after Sunday's stinker against FSU. Duke played solid defense, holding Carolina to 37.7% shooting, including 4-26 from three. On a night when Greenie and Lexie were both subpar, the non-stars stepped up. Odom, in particular, was outstanding, scoring 15 on 7-9 shooting and adding seven rebounds, two steals, and two blocks. Lambert chipped in 13 and three assists. Duke was +5 on the glass and points in the paint were 36-18.

If you thought Duke would be 15-2 and 3-1 in the ACC at this point in the season, you were a true optimist, but here we are.

PackMan97
01-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Go to hell Carolina!

OldPhiKap
01-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Nice win. 9F. Because, as we all know, the whole cheating scheme was to benefit women's basketball.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Nice win. 9F. Because, as we all know, the whole cheating scheme was to benefit women's basketball.

Sylvia's program is of course the only one to be affected by the scandal. After the en masse departure of her highest scorers last year, the chances of them even making the NIT this year are looking pretty slim.

chrishoke
01-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Nice crowd opf about 7,000 was in attendance - I was the loudest.

chrishoke
01-12-2017, 10:49 PM
And you know who the middle finger is for.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2017, 10:55 PM
And you know who the middle finger is for.

Nixon?

jimsumner
01-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Nice crowd opf about 7,000 was in attendance - I was the loudest.

Not unless you were one of the students immediately behind me. :)

Kedsy
01-13-2017, 01:23 AM
I thought Kendall (9 pts, 8 rebs in 22 mins) was outstanding, but really all our bigs played well. Erin had 5 pts and 7 rebs in 10 mins, Oderah had 8 pts, 5 rebs, and 4 blks in 19 mins), and Leaonna might have been the player of the game (15 and 7 in 30 mins).

Unless the player of the game was Kyra (13 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts against 1 to, plus some strong D).

One measure of how much this team has grown since last season: on a day that Rebecca Greenwell shot 0 for 8 from three-land, Duke still won by double-digits. Also odd: neither Becca nor Lexie shot a free throw.

jimsumner
01-13-2017, 02:21 PM
This was a rivalry game and there was lots of energy.

But it's a local rivalry. It used to be a national rivalry. I'm not sure it is right now.

It was not an aesthetic masterpiece. The teams combined for 7 for 43 from 3-point range.

Now, some of that can be attributed to defense. Maybe a lot of it.

But these same two teams also shot 19 for 37 from the line and tough D didn't have anything to do with that.

Duke missed eight straight from the line in the second half and Carolina still couldn't make much of a dent in Duke's lead.

The difference between the teams is that Duke has options if the outside game isn't working. Carolina doesn't. No low-post presence, virtually no depth.

Still, it was a slog. Better than what happened at FSU. But still, not the team we saw against South Carolina, Kentucky and Louisville.

Duke has NC State at Reynolds Sunday. Duke will have to play better to make the trip back on I-40 with a win.

PackMan97
01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Duke has NC State at Reynolds Sunday. Duke will have to play better to make the trip back on I-40 with a win.

I don't know if you guys played better or not, but NC State just took it's third top 15 scalp of the season beating y'all by a few points.

This is as good as I've seen NC State play and that includes Yow's Final Four team with Summer Erb.