PDA

View Full Version : Game Theory Podcast with Sam Vecenie

BandAlum83
01-12-2017, 04:01 PM
I have no idea who Sam Vecenie is, but I found his College Basketball Podcast (http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/2/c/32c8393ed1cf3431/1122017_Podcast.mp3?c_id=13840762&destination_id=462758&expiration=1484259338&hwt=ff7579a2bf39f86385d18c784d8e87d7) doing a search a few weeks ago.

This particular installment includes 2 very interesting segments.

1. An interview with Stephen Schramm of the Fayetteville Observer on what it's like to cover Grayson Allen. Stephen is the beat writer covering college BBall and is one of the writers who vote in the weekly AP poll.

2. A discussion of this year's national freshman class with someone from Rivals.com. It the discussion starts around Harry Giles and is informative.

I do think it is worth a listen:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/2/c/32c8393ed1cf3431/1122017_Podcast.mp3?c_id=13840762&destination_id=462758&expiration=1484259338&hwt=ff7579a2bf39f86385d18c784d8e87d7

UrinalCake
01-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Sam Vecenie used to be with CBS Sports and was part of their MBB podcast with Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander. That's an excellent podcast which I always listen to (after the DBR podcast, of course!). Vecenie left CBS a few months ago to pursue other areas, he's been on the NBC MBB podcast a few times and also started this Game Theory podcast which i like, it steps outside the bounds of typical sports talk and gets into other, more specific points of interest pertaining to sports.

One thing is for sure though, I listen to a lot of podcasts and every single one talks about Grayson non stop.

mo.st.dukie
01-12-2017, 11:17 PM
The info from Schramm about how this season is really weighing these guys down and they just aren't having fun was just depressing. The stuff about Giles was pretty sad too. Well, we were all right about one thing, this will definitely be a season we will all remember.

BandAlum83
01-13-2017, 12:25 AM
The info from Schramm about how this season is really weighing these guys down and they just aren't having fun was just depressing. The stuff about Giles was pretty sad too. Well, we were all right about one thing, this will definitely be a season we will all remember.

I thought it was pretty insightful from a source outside the bubble. It wasn't hating on Duke, it was just a different take.

I do agree that I think the tea, is pressing too much. Thinking too much, instead of plating for fun. Let's hope the turnaround starts tomorrow!

Billy Dat
01-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Great call, I just listened to this pod this morning.

First off, Sam is great...he was awesome on the CBS pod but NEVER got a chance to speak because of Parrish and Norlander - and I love those two guys - it's just hard to get a word in. Sam is really smart and has a chill style.

The pod is sobering but not surprising. It would be insane to think that these kids are enjoying this season. That is why the Grayson trip was so damaging, we had so much injury adversity that the last thing we needed was a reason for people to be watching every frame of every game waiting for any minute action that could instantly go viral and feed the hate tsunami. But, here we are.

Under adversity, you either temper or crumble. Here's to tempering.

weezie
01-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Podcasts mostly wear me out (maaaaaan so looooong) but this one was, as Billy said, sobering.

We all nod our heads and try to remember that these guys on our team are still young men working very hard and getting, at times, blinded by the glare. We're just looking into the fishbowl. I think I would be hard pressed to stay patient and calm but still bring the heat on the floor if I was a player.

I'm doubling down on supporting these kids, even if it's from the upper seats. LGD.