PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 1/9-1/15

pfrduke
01-09-2017, 12:55 PM
A week and a half into the season and we already have just two undefeated conference teams (Florida State, Notre Dame) and just three more that are above .500 (Duke, Syracuse, UNC). To say there has been some topsy and turvy so far in conference play would be an understatement - except for the unbeatens, essentially every team in the conference has looked like world beaters in some games and looked like the Washington Generals in others. Both of those undefeated teams will be tested mightily this week (FSU has harder tests to pass than ND) and if the Noles and Irish are still undefeated in conference play this time next week, it will be time to take them very seriously as leading contenders for the regular season crown.

Monday is dark as the college sports world turns its eyes to Tampa.

Tuesday
[43]Virginia Tech (1-2) hosts [52]Syracuse (2-1) (7:00, ESPNU)
[20]Florida State (3-0) hosts [8]Duke (2-1) (8:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
[10]Louisville (1-2) hosts [55]Pittsburgh (1-2) (7:00, ACCN)
[44]Wake Forest (1-3) hosts [5]North Carolina (2-1) (8:00, ESPN2)
[163]Boston College (1-2) hosts [57]NC State (1-2) (9:00, ACCN)

Thursday
[36]Miami (1-1) hosts [25]Notre Dame (3-0) (7:00, ESPN)
[143]Georgia Tech (1-2) hosts [24]Clemson (1-2) (7:00, ACCN)

Friday is dark

Saturday
[10]Louisville (1-2) hosts [8]Duke (2-1) (12:00, ESPN)
[24]Clemson (1-2) hosts [4]Virginia (2-2) (12:00, ACCN)
[53]Pittsburgh (1-2) hosts [36]Miami (1-1) (12:00, ACCN)
[5]North Carolina (2-1) hosts [20]Florida State (3-0) (2:00, ESPN)
[43]Virginia Tech (1-2) hosts [25]Notre Dame (3-0) (2:00, ACCN)
[52]Syracuse (2-1) hosts [163]Boston College (1-2) (4:00, ACCN)

Sunday
[57]NC State (1-2) hosts [143]Georgia Tech (1-2) (6:30, ESPNU)

CDu
01-09-2017, 12:59 PM
I will be surprised if there are any unbeatens left in the ACC after this week. But if I was to guess which team will still be unbeaten, I'd go with FSU in spite of their opponents.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Two tough road games for the good team, gonna be interesting to see how we do with our shuffling band of available players and coaches.

Would love to see 2-0; would not be surprised at 1-1; 0-2 is not out of the realm of possibility by any stretch.

The was the ACC used to be. Gotta love it.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-09-2017, 01:07 PM
I will be surprised if there are any unbeatens left in the ACC after this week. But if I was to guess which team will still be unbeaten, I'd go with FSU in spite of their opponents.

First big week of the season will tell us a lot about many teams....

Olympic Fan
01-09-2017, 01:24 PM
The home/road split has always been important, but more so this seasn -- so far -- than the past.

So far, home teams are 17-6 in home ACC games ... often winning by huge margins (we've already had two 50-plus point wins by teams at home ... both coming against teams that scored lopsided wins at home in their previous games).

Every road win is precious -- even at BC and Georgia Tech.

So far the two best road wins involve Virginia -- Virginia winning at Louisville and Florida State winning at Virginia -- that sort of cancels out for the Cavs.

Also big -- Notre Dame (in OT) at Pitt and UNC (in OT) at Clemson.

Clemson has a win at Wake and Louisville has a win at Georgia Tech.

Bob Green
01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
So far, home teams are 17-6 ...

Two challenging road games for Duke this week so it would be nice to see the Blue Devils reverse this trend. We are going to have to play a lot better than we did in Blacksburg for that to happen.

Conference games are tough, conference road games are tougher.

CDu
01-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Two challenging road games for Duke this week so it would be nice to see the Blue Devils reverse this trend. We are going to have to play a lot better than we did in Blacksburg for that to happen.

Conference games are tough, conference road games are tougher.

This in spades. I would argue that these next two games are on par with - if not more difficult - than the Kansas game we played in Chicago. FSU and Louisville (at home) represent much tougher tests than Va Tech. And obviously we weren't up to the challenge against Va Tech. FSU is basically a better version of Va Tech. Louisville is completely different, but very good.

A split this week would be a fantastic result. Especially if Jefferson is out for both games.

I am mostly interested in seeing if the freshmen make progress. Giles has been showing signs of progress. But now he'll be asked to do a lot more. Bolden and Jeter (if available) will also be asked to step up. It's time for them to do so.

Olympic Fan
01-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Three games tonight -- all three were fairly close --

The Cheats blew most of a big halftime lead at Wake. The Deacs got to within two points late, but couldn't get over the hump.

Another Danny Manning head-scratcher ... just as against Duke a year ago when he kept Devin Thomas on the bench with the game on the line, on this occasion, he kept Bryant Crawford sitting behind him while the game was decided. I know Crawford had four fouls and had to sit awhile, but Manning didn't put him back in until thr 1:27 mark, when UNC had already stretched a two-point lead with three minutes left to six points.

BC -- with young North Carolina guards Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman still playing great -- held off NC State in Boston.

Louisville built a 26-point lead on Pitt at home, then gave most of it back ... Pitt closed to within three points twice late, but ended up losing by five. Jamis Artist scored 43 for Pitt.

BTW: I hope Louisville is as bad from the FT line Saturday as they were down the stretch tonight.

JasonEvans
01-12-2017, 08:29 AM
BC -- with young North Carolina guards Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman still playing great -- held off NC State in Boston.

So, I am very aware that BC is playing faaaar better now than they were in Nov/Dec, but this is still an awful loss for State. They are down to #65 in KenPom and just lost to the #151 team. In terms of making the NCAA tourney, State is reaching the point where it will need multiple wins against top 20 ACC teams to get there. Right now, they are looking up at the bottom of the bubble. Coach Got is not exactly known for making brilliant in-season adjustments. If he is able to get this team above .500 in the league, it will truly be impressive on his part.

-Jason "where was the Dennis Smith that was supposed to carry this team? 15 points and 3 assists won't get it done" Evans

CDu
01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
So, I am very aware that BC is playing faaaar better now than they were in Nov/Dec, but this is still an awful loss for State. They are down to #65 in KenPom and just lost to the #151 team. In terms of making the NCAA tourney, State is reaching the point where it will need multiple wins against top 20 ACC teams to get there. Right now, they are looking up at the bottom of the bubble. Coach Got is not exactly known for making brilliant in-season adjustments. If he is able to get this team above .500 in the league, it will truly be impressive on his part.

-Jason "where was the Dennis Smith that was supposed to carry this team? 15 points and 3 assists won't get it done" Evans

Yeah that could prove to be a costly loss for State's tourney hopes.

Smith is a freshman. Most freshmen aren't ready to carry a team. The NC and BC games illustrate that.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Ben Simmons was arguably* the best player in college last year, or at least among the best. LSU sat home in March.

One freshman can make a good team spectacular. One freshman cannot make a team by himself though.

* Not by me, and don't want to derail thread.

JasonEvans
01-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Ben Simmons was arguably* the best player in college last year, or at least among the best. LSU sat home in March.

One freshman can make a good team spectacular. One freshman cannot make a team by himself though.

KenPom #111 Washington with Makell Fultz waves hello.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2017, 10:39 AM
KenPom #111 Washington with Makell Fultz waves hello.

Yeah exactly. Huskies are 8-7 in a much weaker conference. But the kid is a stud, what little I have seen of him. (Sorry west coast, only so much I can do). As best I can tell, their strongest opponent to date was Ganzaga and they lost 98-71. State is 11-5 and has played UNC, Creighton, Miami, VT.

Olympic Fan
01-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Actually, Gottfried's track record at NC State is to struggle during the season, wind up on the bubble in mud-February and do just enough to sneak into the tournament.

That's what he did in 2012 -- 9-7 ACC, No. 11 seed -- Sweet 16 (upset No. 3 Georgetown)

2013 they were pretty solid (11-7 in the ACC), but in 2014, they were 9-9 in the ACC, got in a play-in game, beat Xavier and lost in OT to No. 5 St. Louis. A year later, they are 10-8 in the ACC, but got in and upset No. 1 seed Villanova to reach the Sweet 16. Last year's team bombed.

But while I agree that BC was a costly loss, I think it's much too early to write NC State off (as many of their fans are). I suspect Gottfried will sneak them into the field.

To change the subject, one of the continuing themes this year is the strength of the home teams. Home teams are 21-7 in the first 28 games. That would match the highest home-court win percentage in ACC history (1980 was .750). It hasn't been over .688 since 2003. Last year in 2014 and 2015, home teams were under .600.

Tonight's two games ought to test that trend. I think two superior teams are on the road. Can Notre Dame win at Miami? Can Clemson win at Georgia Tech?

CDu
01-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Actually, Gottfried's track record at NC State is to struggle during the season, wind up on the bubble in mud-February and do just enough to sneak into the tournament.

That's what he did in 2012 -- 9-7 ACC, No. 11 seed -- Sweet 16 (upset No. 3 Georgetown)

2013 they were pretty solid (11-7 in the ACC), but in 2014, they were 9-9 in the ACC, got in a play-in game, beat Xavier and lost in OT to No. 5 St. Louis. A year later, they are 10-8 in the ACC, but got in and upset No. 1 seed Villanova to reach the Sweet 16. Last year's team bombed.

But while I agree that BC was a costly loss, I think it's much too early to write NC State off (as many of their fans are). I suspect Gottfried will sneak them into the field.

To change the subject, one of the continuing themes this year is the strength of the home teams. Home teams are 21-7 in the first 28 games. That would match the highest home-court win percentage in ACC history (1980 was .750). It hasn't been over .688 since 2003. Last year in 2014 and 2015, home teams were under .600.

Tonight's two games ought to test that trend. I think two superior teams are on the road. Can Notre Dame win at Miami? Can Clemson win at Georgia Tech?

Early returns are not so hot for the ACC road teams tonight.

Tom B.
01-12-2017, 08:54 PM

Notre Dame comes back against Miami, finishing on a 10-1 run to win by five, 67-62.

Olympic Fan
01-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Well, the home teams went 1-1.

Georgia Tech won at home again, pulling away from Clemson in the final minutes -- bad loss for the Tigers' NCAA chances.

Miami flat out choked at home against Notre Dame. Up four with the ball and just over two minutes left, they get a terrible 3 (almost a 40 footer), then two straight turnovers. With one minute left, Notre Dame was up. As Tom B. noted the Irish finished on a 10-1 run to win by five.

Georgia Tech is now one of seven ACC teams at 2-2 (including Duke). Miami is 1-2. Only three schools have winning ACC records -- FSU and Notre Dame at 4-0 and the Cheats at 3-1.

Ichabod Drain
01-13-2017, 11:09 AM
UNC announced Tony Bradley will not play tomorrow vs FSU. That leaves Luke Maye as the only big off the bench for UNC.

NSDukeFan
01-13-2017, 11:11 AM
UNC announced Tony Bradley will not play tomorrow vs FSU. That leaves Luke Maye as the only big off the bench for UNC.

Academic issues? Ha, I kill me.

Ichabod Drain
01-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Academic issues? Ha, I kill me.

Haha, forgot to mention due to a concussion against Wake the other night.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Haha, forgot to mention due to a concussion

His tutor told him that he really needed to hit the books and to use his noggin, and, well -- he took it all a bit too literally.

(Hope for a full and quick recovery)

devildeac
01-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Haha, forgot to mention due to a concussion against Wake the other night.

His tutor told him that he really needed to hit the books and to use his noggin, and, well -- he took it all a bit too literally.

(Hope for a full and quick recovery)

Has espn blamed Grayson yet? :rolleyes: :mad:

NSDukeFan
01-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Has espn blamed Grayson yet? :rolleyes: :mad:

He does only live 8 miles away. 🤔

Bob Green
01-14-2017, 07:31 AM

Foul trouble could be a factor for Carolina in this game. Against Wake Forest, Meeks, Hicks and Maye all ended the game with four fouls. Against Clemson, Hicks fouled out. Personal fouls will be a stat to keep an eye on during the game.

devildeac
01-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Foul trouble could be a factor for Carolina in this game. Against Wake Forest, Meeks, Hicks and Maye all ended the game with four fouls. Against Clemson, Hicks fouled out. Personal fouls will be a stat to keep an eye on during the game.

Yea, especially which f$u players pick up 2 early fouls first half and how soon the cheaters hit the bonus and double bonus in each half. :mad:

Bob Green
01-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Yea, especially which f$u players pick up 2 early fouls first half and how soon the cheaters hit the bonus and double bonus in each half. :mad:

It is early in the day for such cynicism. :D

devildeac
01-14-2017, 10:07 AM
It is early in the day for such cynicism. :D

Whenever the cheaters play a highly-ranked opponent on their home dump, err, court, I wake up cynical. :o

OldPhiKap
01-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Whenever the cheaters play a highly-ranked opponent on their home dump, err, court, I wake up cynical. :o

That portrait of Lenny Wirtz in the bedroom probably doesn't help.

Doria
01-14-2017, 01:08 PM

That's a horrifying thought. I just hope I can forget the image before I try to sleep tonight.

devildeac
01-14-2017, 02:18 PM

I have lenny wirtz toilet paper.

Think about that...

devildeac
01-14-2017, 02:34 PM
f$u going to have to get all the brown stains out of their shorts at the half. And maybe their own fingerprints off their throats.:rolleyes:

Bob Green
01-14-2017, 03:29 PM
With 15:45 left in the game, Meeks and Hicks both have 3 fouls.

duke4ever19
01-14-2017, 04:22 PM
FSU following the Duke win with a road loss to the Heels.

Surest bet in Vegas this weekend.

Heels had a little something to do with it, so I doff my hat to them.

DukeWarhead
01-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Geez. FSU turd at UNC makes Duke look even more inept. Calgon take me away!

tbyers11
01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Geez. FSU turd at UNC makes Duke look even more inept. Calgon take me away!

I watched the game and thought FSU looked pretty legit against a top team on the road. They went toe-to-toe with UNC for 35 minutes. They were down 4 with 5 minutes to play before missing FTs and poor shot selection doomed them down the stretch. The game was a lot closer than the score indicated.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
I watched the game and thought FSU looked pretty legit against a top team on the road. They went toe-to-toe with UNC for 35 minutes. They were down 4 with 5 minutes to play before missing FTs and poor shot selection doomed them down the stretch. The game was a lot closer than the score indicated.

UNC's defense is pretty darn good, most of the time, and the rebounding is strong. They crushed a good FSU rebounding team on the boards, 56-34 total...21-9 offensively...without Tony Bradley.

I thought it was a hard fought, well played game, despite the refs screwing up the game flow by calling too many touch fouls on offensive player initiated contact, on both teams...on what seemed like every drive to the basket...and that drives me nuts. Let them play! Stop calling fouls when an offensive player runs into a defender driving..when he has established good position, it was the ball handlers choice to make that contact...it's wrong to reward the driver there!

Luke Maye was a beast on the boards with 15 rebounds in 25 minutes, he has that feel you can't teach around the basket and is a pretty strong 6'8 and a heck of a rebounder, even with those alligator arms.

Hicks finally came out aggressive and played to his potential, and along with Berry and Jackson, had over 20 pts. Not many teams will have a shot to beat UNC if those three produce like that.

Another great coaching effort by Roy. He navigated the foul trouble and got it done, even going really small playing without a post player for a key stretch late with,..Jackson,Pinson,Williams, Britt,Berry...and extended the lead with them.

I didn't get to see the Duke/Louisville game...will have to catch it on watchESPN later...

Olympic Fan
01-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Another great coaching effort by Roy. ..

It would be a lot more impressive if he was coaching student athletes like everybody else.

Interesting day in the ACC overall -- road teams finally stepped up with Virginia winning at Clemson, Miami killing Pitt at Pitt and Notre Dame winning at VPI.

The standings are in three parts --

Notre Dame (5-0), FSU (4-1) and UNC (4-1) are in the first division.

Eight ACC teams (including Duke) are in the middle -- all either at .500 or within one game of .500 either way.

Four teams are behind the curve -- NC State (1-3), Pitt (1-4), Clemson (1-4) and Wake (1-4).

NC State can get in the middle group Sunday if the Pack can beat Georgia Tech in Raleigh.

arnie
01-15-2017, 07:47 AM
It would be a lot more impressive if he was coaching student athletes like everybody else.

Interesting day in the ACC overall -- road teams finally stepped up with Virginia winning at Clemson, Miami killing Pitt at Pitt and Notre Dame winning at VPI.

The standings are in three parts --

Notre Dame (5-0), FSU (4-1) and UNC (4-1) are in the first division.

Eight ACC teams (including Duke) are in the middle -- all either at .500 or within one game of .500 either way.

Four teams are behind the curve -- NC State (1-3), Pitt (1-4), Clemson (1-4) and Wake (1-4).

NC State can get in the middle group Sunday if the Pack can beat Georgia Tech in Raleigh.

Our thrashing by VPI is is turning into a bad loss. We're gonna have to start winning games on the road.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-15-2017, 09:44 AM

No need to denigrate these current kids no matter what you think might have happened in the past. I'm sure their parents would appreciate it too.

PackMan97
01-15-2017, 10:04 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to see that NC State didn't lose last night.

I was quite dissapointed when I found out we didn't play.

PackMan97
01-15-2017, 10:06 AM
No need to denigrate these current kids no matter what you think might have happened in the past. I'm sure their parents would appreciate it too.

Carolina has yet make right their past wrongs, has not fully investigated their academic or athletic programs. Until they admit guilt and do the time, they can be presumed to be cheating.

If you don't like it, most of us don't care. You are cheering for the most corrupt program in NCAA history...deal with it.

You are cheaters born, cheaters bred and when you die, you won't cheat death.

arnie
01-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Carolina has yet make right their past wrongs, has not fully investigated their academic or athletic programs. Until they admit guilt and do the time, they can be presumed to be cheating.

If you don't like it, most of us don't care. You are cheering for the most corrupt program in NCAA history...deal with it.

You are cheaters born, cheaters bred and when you die, you won't cheat death.

A reasonable assessment of the UNC athletic program and fan base. I might have expressed it in harsher terms but appreciate your more gentle spirit.

PackMan97
01-15-2017, 11:38 AM
I might have expressed it in harsher terms but appreciate your more gentle spirit.

After a few Cat 3 warnings, I've learned that the mods can indeed ban me for what I think about Carolina :) Even this old wolf can learn.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-15-2017, 12:51 PM
After a few Cat 3 warnings, I've learned that the mods can indeed ban me for what I think about Carolina :) Even this old wolf can learn.

Thought for the day: Losing is like water...it will trickle down to its lowest level.

devildeac
01-15-2017, 01:29 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see that NC State didn't lose last night.

I was quite dissapointed when I found out we didn't play.

We can almost always count on our resident pessimist NCSU fans/posters for some gallows type humor. We are amused by our neighboring brethren. Well, some of them anyway :rolleyes: .

arnie
01-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Thought for the day: Losing is like water...it will trickle down to its lowest level.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" - John Swofford.

TruBlu
01-15-2017, 06:52 PM

Hell, I could probably be arrested for what I think about unc sports-cheats.

DU82
01-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Hell, I could probably be arrested for what I think about unc sports-cheats.

But Jim Valvano confirmed that you can't get a technical for what you think.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-15-2017, 08:31 PM
NC State continues to lose, at home, shocka....it's inbread in their DNA.

norduck
01-15-2017, 08:50 PM
NC State continues to lose, at home, shocka...it's inbread in their DNA.

Bad slice from a Cheating loaf.

PackMan97
01-15-2017, 09:03 PM

I pray to God I never find out we are cheating. With these results, we'd better not even be bending any rules.

CameronBlue
01-15-2017, 09:05 PM
I pray to God I never find out we are cheating. With these results, we'd better not even be bending any rules.

Don't worry, that's another one of those DNA things I suspect. Doing it for 18 years is a pretty sure sign that it's innate. Sad.

jv001
01-15-2017, 09:09 PM

But NC State has not taken to cheating to get wins. Unlike the uncheat program who cheated their way to many wins in an attempt to keep up with the Duke under Coach K. It looks like Dean began it and the coaches that followed him, kept it going. When the cheats own up to their fraud, then we can discuss wins and losses. Right now we don't if any of the cheat teams are actually eligible. GoDuke!

jhmoss1812
01-15-2017, 09:27 PM

You guys need to fire Gott and go after Kevin Keatts at UNCW. I think that would be a great hire for NCSU.

But I'm fine with you giving Gott an extension. I mean, he is one hell of a recruiter.

devildeac
01-15-2017, 10:29 PM
But Jim Valvano confirmed that you can't get a technical for what you think.

I thought for sure he got T'ed up for that remark/event/occurrence.

PackMan97
01-15-2017, 10:29 PM
I thought for sure he got T'ed up for that remark/event/occurrence.

He did. Refs and Mods...can't trust 'em.