PDA

View Full Version : New Model for 1 and done players

freshmanjs
01-09-2017, 11:24 AM
This strikes me as quite a good idea. Allows the player to have a much faster start in his 1 year of college ball. What do y'all think?

link (http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/09/hamidou-diallo-planning-redshirt-kentucky-aau-coach-says-spark-trend/)

CDu
01-09-2017, 11:37 AM
This strikes me as quite a good idea. Allows the player to have a much faster start in his 1 year of college ball. What do y'all think?

link (http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/09/hamidou-diallo-planning-redshirt-kentucky-aau-coach-says-spark-trend/)

It is an interesting option, though it only really applies to a handful of players (at most) each year. They have to have met the requirements to graduate as of December (which rules out the typical "true senior"). And they have to be REALLY sure that they are one-and-done, because otherwise they blow their redshirt year.

But if you meet those two criteria, it seems like a no-brainer. Those kids are already older than the typical senior in high school, and thus probably don't have the same "losing their senior year" feelings (since they've likely transferred at least once or where in a prep school already). And we know that having the full summer with the team prior to the freshman season is an advantage. Well, now they get more than double the prep time AND the advantage of actually getting in-season practice time (technically the summer is much more restrictive in what teams can do).

jv001
01-09-2017, 11:49 AM
It is an interesting option, though it only really applies to a handful of players (at most) each year. They have to have met the requirements to graduate as of December (which rules out the typical "true senior"). And they have to be REALLY sure that they are one-and-done, because otherwise they blow their redshirt year.

But if you meet those two criteria, it seems like a no-brainer. Those kids are already older than the typical senior in high school, and thus probably don't have the same "losing their senior year" feelings (since they've likely transferred at least once or where in a prep school already). And we know that having the full summer with the team prior to the freshman season is an advantage. Well, now they get more than double the prep time AND the advantage of actually getting in-season practice time (technically the summer is much more restrictive in what teams can do).

You are correct that there are not that many in coming high school seniors that fit this option. There have been some Kentucky one and dones that didn't even go to class toward the end of their freshman year. A good player that wants an education that a Duke or Virginia (and some other schools) can provide is not the norm in opinion. GoDuke!

jimsumner
01-09-2017, 11:49 AM
If you think you're good enough to be a OAD, I don't see blowing your redshirt year to be much of a negative. That would only come into play if our hypothetical OAD sticks around a lot longer than expected.

uh_no
01-09-2017, 11:53 AM

I don't get it....if the player is planning to leave after his freshman year anyway, why bother redshirting? He's not going to use up all his eligibility anyway...so he might as well play some...

SCMatt33
01-09-2017, 11:54 AM

I think there's two kinds of players here. There are ones who graduate in December and truly do give up senior year (half of a high school season, all star games, prom, walking at graduation, etc). These are guys like Austin Wiley, who finished up in December and was deemed eligible, and is now not only attending, but playing for Auburn. This situation will be rare as most in that situation probably won't be in a position to graduate and he immediately eligible in December. The second is a guy like Diallo, who actually graduated last spring and is doing a post-grad year. These types of players perhaps thought they would only be deemed a partial qualifier in college, thought it was a more controllable path to the draft (Diallo supposedly made this decision after getting bad feedback from NBA scouts), or just didn't feel like college was right at the time for some other reason. In this case, there is certainly less downside to going to college, as they have already done the normal things a senior would do like prom and graduation and they are already ineligible for all star games, so there isn't much that they give up. The things that would keep this from being a bigger trend for these players is that few of them will decide to go post-grad in the first place. Most will simply go to college for the whole year or play overseas if they either want to earn a paycheck or feel like they won't qualify broth he NCAA.

freshmanjs
01-09-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't get it...if the player is planning to leave after his freshman year anyway, why bother redshirting? He's not going to use up all his eligibility anyway...so he might as well play some...

He could play if they need him, but I think the idea is that it's disruptive and they don't really need him now. Where is the semester better spent? In HS or practicing at KY? To me, it's less about the redshirt vs. not. More about enrolling a semester early to get ready for the 1 season.

miramar
01-09-2017, 12:15 PM
This is what a number of college football players do so that they can participate in spring practice.

Here is just one example at the University of Texas, but it helps the players adapt to the system and it allows the school to get the guy on campus before he changes his mind about where he wants to go. I would like to think that this model would have gotten Kris Humphries to Duke and helped him to make better decisions down the road, but I haven't made over $60 million so what do I know.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2017/1/4/13609684/sam-ehlinger-texas-longhorns-quarterback-signee-tom-herman