PDA

View Full Version : Duke football gets grad-student transfer

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Offensive lineman from The Ohio State University. 6-6, 310.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/01/ohio_state_football_buckeyes_o.html

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/01/report-ohio-state-offensive-lineman-to-transfer-to-duke-football

CameronBornAndBred
01-08-2017, 11:43 AM

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/01/report-ohio-state-offensive-lineman-to-transfer-to-duke-football

Very cool, we need the help up front. Hopefully he's left his injury troubles behind in Ohio.

devildeac
01-08-2017, 11:53 AM
That's a big fellow and big pick-up.

Hope he plays lots of snaps providing great protection for our QBs, opening some gaping holes for large ground gainers for our RBs and without any unspecified "lower body" injuries.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Duke's last transfer from tOSU worked out pretty well. Help on the OL is just what the doctor ordered.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2017, 12:15 PM

Nice. Welcome!

jv001
01-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Very good news. We can use some help up front. GoDuke!

mattman91
01-08-2017, 12:23 PM
247 listed him as the #6 OT in his class, top 100 overall.

Bob Green
01-08-2017, 12:36 PM
This is welcome news at a position of need. Last season's starter at RT Casey Blaser was a senior and LT Gabe Brandner was injured late in the season. This grad-student transfer should have every opportunity to compete for a spot in the starting line-up.

chrishoke
01-08-2017, 12:59 PM
How much did he play as a reserve for OSU?

Olympic Fan
01-08-2017, 01:00 PM
This is welcome news at a position of need. Last season's starter at RT Casey Blaser was a senior and LT Gabe Brandner was injured late in the season. This grad-student transfer should have every opportunity to compete for a spot in the starting line-up.

It helps fill the OL gap created by career ending injuries to Long and Schraeder. Help is on the way, but the best OL talent in the program were true freshmen this past season. They'll start to play next year, but for the most part, need another year to arrive (ideally, Cut prefers his linemen to have three years in the program before they play)

Nice addition ... I just wish we could add an accomplished pass rusher as a grad transfer

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 01:23 PM
It helps fill the OL gap created by career ending injuries to Long and Schraeder. Help is on the way, but the best OL talent in the program were true freshmen this past season. They'll start to play next year, but for the most part, need another year to arrive (ideally, Cut prefers his linemen to have three years in the program before they play)

Nice addition ... I just wish we could add an accomplished pass rusher as a grad transfer

I think you mean Sanders and Schroeder.

An interesting dynamic at OT for next season.

Let's assume that Brandner is healthy and starts at LT.

That gives Duke RT/backup LT options in six different classes.

Grad-Lisle
Redshirt senior-Sterling Korona
Redshirt junior-Christian Harris
Redshirt sophomore-Reno Rosene
Redshirt freshman-Robert Kraeling/Liam Smith (?)
True freshman-Rakavius Chambers/Jacob Rimmer/Patrick Leitten

Assuming the true freshmen redshirt, that's still six or seven OTs (depending on where Smith ends up) and Duke isn't going to go three deep at that position. So, competition should be very, very fierce this spring and fall.

As an aside, I would not be averse to Duke pursuing a grad-student option place-kicker.

devildeac
01-08-2017, 01:33 PM
I think you mean Sanders and Schroeder.

An interesting dynamic at OT for next season.

Let's assume that Brandner is healthy and starts at LT.

That gives Duke RT/backup LT options in six different classes.

Grad-Lisle
Redshirt senior-Sterling Korona
Redshirt junior-Christian Harris
Redshirt sophomore-Reno Rosene
Redshirt freshman-Robert Kraeling/Liam Smith (?)
True freshman-Rakavius Chambers/Jacob Rimmer/Patrick Leitten

Assuming the true freshmen redshirt, that's still six or seven OTs (depending on where Smith ends up) and Duke isn't going to go three deep at that position. So, competition should be very, very fierce this spring and fall.

As an aside, I would not be averse to Duke pursuing a grad-student option place-kicker.

Do you think the staff has anyone they're considering for this option?

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Do you think the staff has anyone they're considering for this option?

I'm not sure how this works. But I assume that contact would be initiated by the player. Otherwise, it could be considered poaching.

Note that Lisle is the first grad-student athlete for any of football, men's basketball or women's basketball.

But other Duke sports have benefitted from grad-student transfers, including baseball, which made the NCAAs last season in large part due to pitchers Brian McAfee and Kellen Urbon, who transferred from Cornell.

So, there's no institutional bias against grad-student transfers. Lisle may be establishing a precedent for the football program but not for the athletic program.

devildeac
01-08-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure how this works. But I assume that contact would be initiated by the player. Otherwise, it could be considered poaching.

Note that Lisle is the first grad-student athlete for any of football, men's basketball or women's basketball.

But other Duke sports have benefitted from grad-student transfers, including baseball, which made the NCAAs last season in large part due to pitchers Brian McAfee and Kellen Urbon, who transferred from Cornell.

So, there's no institutional bias against grad-student transfers. Lisle may be establishing a precedent for the football program but not for the athletic program.

Thank you. This will be an interesting one to follow, ASSuming it goes anywhere at all.

chrishoke
01-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Lisle is listed as a soph - does that mean he has 2 years of eligibility remaining?

Bob Green
01-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Lisle is listed as a soph - does that mean he has 2 years of eligibility remaining?

The linked article says one year of eligibility left.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Excellent news for a cold January day! Now, if only we can get good news about Amile....

chrishoke
01-08-2017, 05:41 PM
The linked article says one year of eligibility left.

Tx. I guess otherwise he would be considered a transfer and have to sit out a year

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 06:14 PM
He's a grad-student transfer, eligible immediately, one year of eligibility.

uh_no
01-08-2017, 07:02 PM
He's a grad-student transfer, eligible immediately, one year of eligibility.

oh man....it's bball season, but how can you not be excited for the football season?

CrazyNotCrazie
01-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Do they still have the easily circumvented requirement that he has to be transferring into an academic program not offered by his old school? I'm curious what he is studying. Glad to have him join the program!

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Do they still have the easily circumvented requirement that he has to be transferring into an academic program not offered by his old school? I'm curious what he is studying. Glad to have him join the program!

Fuqua has a one-year MBA program. Involves some summer school. Lots of athletes have taken advantage of it. I suspect not many schools have an exact replica.