PDA

View Full Version : Chase

madscavenger
01-08-2017, 06:58 AM
i may have missed it, but is he transferring, just hurt, or......? Sure could have used him yesterday.

Bob Green
01-08-2017, 07:00 AM
While I have seen nothing official from Duke, it has been widely reported Chase Jeter twisted his back - nothing serious.

Saratoga2
01-08-2017, 08:27 AM
While I have seen nothing official from Duke, it has been widely reported Chase Jeter twisted his back - nothing serious. Its kind of like being captain obvious, but with Amile sidelined for a while we really could use Jeter back.

Bob Green
01-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Its kind of like being captain obvious, but with Amile sidelined for a while we really could use Jeter back.

I agree it would be nice to have Jeter available; however, Antonio Vrankovic is an available option. Vrankovic is behind Jeter defensively but I believe he is a step or two ahead of Jeter offensively.

Kedsy
01-08-2017, 08:45 AM
I agree it would be nice to have Jeter available; however, Antonio Vrankovic is an available option. Vrankovic is behind Jeter defensively but I believe he is a step or two ahead of Jeter offensively.

With Amile out, defense is what we need.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
If Chase was healthy, Chase would play.

Chase did not play.

QED, Chase was still recovering.

Rich
01-08-2017, 09:22 AM
i may have missed it, but is he transferring, just hurt, or...? Sure could have used him yesterday.

Do we really need to jump to this conclusion, especially as the first possibility? By all accounts, Chase enjoys being at Duke, is growing as a basketball player, has a great attitude, and is a fantastic teammate.

Bob Green
01-08-2017, 09:56 AM
With Amile out, defense is what we need.

Agreed. I'm just pointing out that if Jeter is unavailable, Vrankovic does have skills.

Rich
01-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Agreed. I'm just pointing out that if Jeter is unavailable, Vrankovic does have skills.

Sewing, knitting, baking...ha ha

Seriously, though, we have plenty of offensive weapons and need way more help defensively. I suppose Chase is higher on the depth chart in that regard, but not by much. Let's hope we don't have to miss Amile too long otherwise it's gonna be baptism by fire for the frosh/soph big men and we're going to have to score a lot of points to win games until they understand how to play K's M2M defense. Without Amile we may see more zone like we did in 2015 while they learn M2M during practice.

madscavenger
01-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Do we really need to jump to this conclusion, especially as the first possibility? By all accounts, Chase enjoys being at Duke, is growing as a basketball player, has a great attitude, and is a fantastic teammate.

No one is jumping to any conclusion. If you want to attribute significance to sentence structure, since we apparently (especially me) don't really know, perhaps the "...." should take precedence. The possibility that he might transfer only entered the thought stream because of the timing of his absence. Given no knowledge, its as good an explanation as any. Rich, i think you need some hot cocoa. :)

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 01:07 PM
If Jeter were going to transfer, I seriously question whether he would have been on the bench, dressed out on January 8.

I was actually thinking about Vrankovic and FSU. Why not play him when Ojo is on the floor for the 'Noles? It's not like Ojo is going to start jacking up 3s or put it on the floor and blow by Vrank to the rim.

Olympic Fan
01-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but as long as we're talking about Chase's injury, how about Javin? DeLaurier has now missed five straight games (although he was in uniform Saturday).

I was just looking at his participation chart and see that he's play in just eight games -- all in the first 11 Duke games.

That started me thinking -- will he (or can he) come back this season? Unless the injuries pile up, it doesn't look like we need him to play any significant minutes.

And if he doesn't return, could he apply and get a hardship waiver to return next season as a redshirt freshman?

Eight games, all played in the first third of the season -- I would think he would qualify. That's one less game than Amile played last season and he got a waver.

Obviously, any game appearance from now on would negate that opportunity. It's something to look out for.