PDA

View Full Version : TV Information for FSU Game

awhom111
01-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Trick thread! There's not much information out there yet in terms of a list of local affiliates or a blackout map.

Fortunately the game is freely available everywhere in the world online here:
http://www.theacc.com/game-center/57f3cfd7e4b0d989b845d2e2/

Expect the map and stations some time on Monday, which seems to be too late for planning purposes. In the meantime, check your local station listings because this package is syndicated widely, well outside the ACC footprint.

Those outside of the blackout map when it comes out can watch on WatchESPN if you prefer that to the direct link above (I have always had a better experience on the ACC website). It will also be on DirecTV channel 790 and Verizon FIOS channel 823.

awhom111
01-09-2017, 09:52 AM
We have a blackout map, but no affiliate list yet:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2963425.jpg

uh_no
01-09-2017, 10:55 AM

how utterly ridiculous that you can't find out the day before the game what channel the game will be on.

Insane.

I know y'all hate uconn, but at least it's nice to know they have their own contract with SNY...so you always know where to find it.

Stray Gator
01-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Here in Durham, it appears that the FSU game will be telecast on WRAL, but there's a catch -- the game will be interrupted after the first hour (which would typically be during halftime) to broadcast President Obama's "Farewell Address." Although the cable guide shows that game coverage will resume at 9:40, I'm not optimistic that we'll see much if any of the second half, given the likelihood that NBC's political commentators will want to analyze the speech and add their own observations.

No Cute Name
01-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Here in Durham, it appears that the FSU game will be telecast on WRAL, but there's a catch -- the game will be interrupted after the first hour (which would typically be during halftime) to broadcast President Obama's "Farewell Address." Although the cable guide shows that game coverage will resume at 9:40, I'm not optimistic that we'll see much if any of the second half, given the likelihood that NBC's political commentators will want to analyze the speech and add their own observations.

DirecTV lists it on Fox 50 and not at all on WRAL. My guess is they decided to move it to 50 and leave the President on 5. YMMV, just going by what the guide says.

Stray Gator
01-09-2017, 01:24 PM
DirecTV lists it on Fox 50 and not at all on WRAL. My guess is they decided to move it to 50 and leave the President on 5. YMMV, just going by what the guide says.

We don't have DirecTV, but the Time-Warner Cable guide shows the Carolina Hurricanes hockey game on Channel 50 (Fox Sports Carolina) at 8 p.m. Tuesday evening.

sagegrouse
01-09-2017, 01:32 PM
We don't have DirecTV, but the Time-Warner Cable guide shows the Carolina Hurricanes hockey game on Channel 50 (Fox Sports Carolina) at 8 p.m. Tuesday evening.

I have DirecTV here in Colorado and the schedule guide shows Duke v. FSU on extended coverage channel 790 at 8 PM EST.

No Cute Name
01-09-2017, 01:36 PM

That's funny. I never heard of Fox Sports Carolina (just used to Fox Sports South), but now I see DirecTV has the hockey game on Fox Sports Carolina, which is up with the regional sports channels, but on an alternate-type one that I don't think is permanent. Who knows. Maybe DirecTV will end up showing it on 50, since they have a separate channel for FSCar, but it seems Time-Warner uses 50 for that so maybe they'll show the game on a digital alternative WRAL channel during the Pres? I'd be surprised if we don't get to see the game in its entirety locally on either carrier. But I've been surprised before. I guess I won't count on my DVR just recording the right channel and starting to watch it later; might need to monitor this one at the start. Seems pretty solid, though, that DTV has a channel for each thing so seems like it should be sorted out. Don't know what to say about TWC.

DU82
01-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Fox 50/WRAZ is channel 13/1206 on TWC in the Triangle. The game may also be moved to one of the secondary WRAL channels. They have done that in the past when there's a conflict with the network feed.

WV_Iron_Duke
01-09-2017, 02:56 PM
In the D.C. Metro area WDCA channel 20 (506 on Fios) is carrying the game.

Bob Green
01-09-2017, 03:27 PM
For those in Hampton Roads with Verizon FIOS, the game will be on Channel 507 (The CW/WGNT).

Jarhead
01-09-2017, 03:31 PM
According to this WRAL Channel 5 announcement (http://www.wral.com/for-president-s-speech-duke-game-moves-to-fox50/16416695/) tonight's game will be available on Channel 50 because of President Obama's final speech to the nation. This applies to TWC customers in the Triangle area of North Carolina. I'm watching the game and recording the speech.

Stray Gator
01-09-2017, 03:41 PM
According to this WRAL Channel 5 announcement (http://www.wral.com/for-president-s-speech-duke-game-moves-to-fox50/16416695/) tonight's game will be available on Channel 50 because of President Obama's final speech to the nation. This applies to TWC customers in the Triangle area of North Carolina. I'm watching the game and recording the speech.

Thanks for the update -- we'll reset our DVR accordingly.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Between Obama's speech and the NCAA Championship FB game, tonight is a setup to be the least watched ACC prime time ACC basketball game in recent history (especially one featuring Duke). Hope advertisers got discounts. One has to wonder what the attendance would be had FSU been playing the Tide tonight.

DU82
01-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Between Obama's speech and the NCAA Championship FB game, tonight is a setup to be the least watched ACC prime time ACC basketball game in recent history (especially one featuring Duke). Hope advertisers got discounts. One has to wonder what the attendance would be had FSU been playing the Tide tonight.

The basketball game is Tuesday. Today is Monday.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2017, 04:43 PM

Sigh..now my night is shot. Woes of not living by a normal weekday calendar.

hallcity
01-09-2017, 04:43 PM

FSS has a second channel on TWC in Raleigh. The regular FSS is 318 and the second FSS, used only occasionally, is 325. I'm not sure how applicable that is elsewhere. It's a shame the game isn't on ESPN. It's now a top 10 matchup.

alteran
01-09-2017, 04:55 PM

Is there some way I can still be mad at ESPN here, then?

rasputin
01-09-2017, 05:07 PM

How 'bout this? Syracuse at Virginia Tech is on ESPNU at 7 Eastern, but they aren't televising Duke at Florida State on any of the regular channels at 8 Eastern?

awhom111
01-10-2017, 12:44 AM
how utterly ridiculous that you can't find out the day before the game what channel the game will be on.

Insane.

I know y'all hate uconn, but at least it's nice to know they have their own contract with SNY...so you always know where to find it.

As of now, there is still no listing. Maybe the entire ACC is dealing with football related matters right now. Hopefully they have something early tomorrow. Oddly enough, goduke.com has not posted a preview of this game yet either.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2017, 07:31 AM

I think that's the board's default position.

bluedev_92
01-10-2017, 08:54 AM
How 'bout this? Syracuse at Virginia Tech is on ESPNU at 7 Eastern, but they aren't televising Duke at Florida State on any of the regular channels at 8 Eastern?

Good enough for me!!

awhom111
01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
The ACC has not linked this up, but the expert on college broadcasting found the URL:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-the-acc-network-duke-at-florida-state-01-10-2017

Again, the link in the first post works for anyone who wants to watch online.

atoomer0881
01-10-2017, 11:19 AM
The ACC has not linked this up, but the expert on college broadcasting found the URL:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-the-acc-network-duke-at-florida-state-01-10-2017

Again, the link in the first post works for anyone who wants to watch online.

Ughhh so it doesn't appear it's being televised at all in NJ? How could a marquee ACC match-up between two top 10 teams not be televised? This upsets me. :-(

uh_no
01-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Ughhh so it doesn't appear it's being televised at all in NJ? How could a marquee ACC match-up between two top 10 teams not be televised? This upsets me. :-(

It's on ESPN3 in all non-blacked out areas....including new jersey.

atoomer0881
01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
It's on ESPN3 in all non-blacked out areas...including new jersey.

Yeah I saw that. I'll be streaming it. I just would have preferred to have it be televised so I could record the game and start it a bit later. Now I'll just have to make sure I am ready to go when the game starts haha

duke4ever19
01-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Yeah I saw that. I'll be streaming it. I just would have preferred to have it be televised so I could record the game and start it a bit later. Now I'll just have to make sure I am ready to go when the game starts haha

Occasionally I will wait till the game is over and then watch it on ESPN3 replay. That way I can skip through all the commercials and halftime blathering.

In a day and age when networks are making single games semi-marathon events (See last night's CFB final . . . so thankful for no overtime), I like being able to take a little control back.

peterjswift
01-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Can anyone explain how/why they choose these regions for blackout? I'm in north-central PA, and typically ACC Network games are shown on WQMY "My Network TV" - but lately the games have been blacked out (Duke vs. BC for example). I understand why ESPN3 might have it blacked out if a local affiliate is carrying it, but I don't understand why both the local network and ESPN3 would both be unavailable. Based on this map, I assume I'll end up blacked out again, though our affiliate is listed as carrying it on the ACC Network page.

Devilwin
01-10-2017, 04:10 PM
In the Triad, WFMY CBS channel 2 has the game at 8:00.

DukieInKansas
01-10-2017, 04:55 PM

I have discovered that the game may not show up on the onscreen tv guide but it is actually shown on a channel, like YES or NESN. Unfortunately, it isn't consistently on the same channel so recording it is difficult but, if I'm home, I just start at 300 (ESPN) and go through the channels one by one until I find it. This is really a problem with Wednesday games that I have to record since I'm not home until 10pm.

atoomer0881
01-10-2017, 05:04 PM
I have discovered that the game may not show up on the onscreen tv guide but it is actually shown on a channel, like YES or NESN. Unfortunately, it isn't consistently on the same channel so recording it is difficult but, if I'm home, I just start at 300 (ESPN) and go through the channels one by one until I find it. This is really a problem with Wednesday games that I have to record since I'm not home until 10pm.

Yea I know what you mean. I went through the guide and apparently it's being televised on ESPN College Extra, which is a channel I don't get. So I will stream on Watch ESPN app and also check YES, NESN and the like to see if it pops up on there.

Volunteer Duke
01-10-2017, 05:53 PM
So on Watch ESPN, it says my region is blacked out. This is stupid.

Why didn't it black out the earlier season games that were on ACC Network Extra?

Am I out of luck?

How do I listen on the radio online?

I haven't missed a game all year and the 1st one I miss is a top 10 matchup? So bizarre. I hate ESPN.

Volunteer Duke
01-10-2017, 06:51 PM

Why didn't it black out the earlier season games that were on ACC Network Extra?

Am I out of luck?

I haven't missed a game all year and the 1st one I miss is a top 10 matchup? So bizarre. I hate ESPN.

I found out the game is scheduled one of my local channels! So excited!

-jk
01-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Am I out of luck?

Duke games are usually available via online radio using the TuneIn Radio app - android and ios. Not sure about plain old computers, though...

-jk

peterjswift
01-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Oh man! It is on TV here! Too bad for those that thought HS basketball was going to be televised...

uh_no
01-10-2017, 08:10 PM
http://www.newzion02.top/51z4.php

make sure you have an ad blocker installed. close any windows that pop up as you carefully click the X's
Use at your own risk.

dukebluesincebirth
01-10-2017, 08:27 PM
I have the game on channel 1215 (WITN) and the picture is horrible! Standard def and blurry! Is it available in HD??

awhom111
01-11-2017, 12:55 AM
I know that there were issues due to the ACC website not providing a list in their usual places, but I would like to make sure people find these threads more informative next time since we still have several games on this platform this season so I would like feedback.

ACC Network games are freely viewable on the ACC website for everyone, regardless of location, but this still seems to confuse people. I post the link in the first post when I start the thread. Is that link or the explanation not clear enough for people? Should I make it more obvious? Should it go into its own post?

I tend to start the thread immediately after the preceding game, even if not all of the information is available, so that people can plan ahead. Is that too soon? Should I wait until all information is available, even if it is only a day or two before the game? Also, is there something unclear about my usual map with bullet point options for each region?

Can anyone explain how/why they choose these regions for blackout? I'm in north-central PA, and typically ACC Network games are shown on WQMY "My Network TV" - but lately the games have been blacked out (Duke vs. BC for example). I understand why ESPN3 might have it blacked out if a local affiliate is carrying it, but I don't understand why both the local network and ESPN3 would both be unavailable. Based on this map, I assume I'll end up blacked out again, though our affiliate is listed as carrying it on the ACC Network page.

There are two different syndication packages. The one for this game is the one more commonly referred to as the ACC Network and was sub-licensed to Raycom while the one for the BC game was sub-licensed to FOX and re-packaged for use by non-FOX RSNs. The main difference is that this one was less restrictive, being freely available online to everyone while the cable-syndicated games must be viewed on your local RSN within the ACC footprint.

It was not a marquee matchup when these things were decided and the weekday ACC Network games tend to have less broad distribution than the weekend ones. It was only listed as available in 71 markets, representing 43% of the television households in the country. Also, the terms of the sub-license tend to make it so that the syndication partner has some ability to get some decent games. I would not blame ESPN for any of this as some people have done on this thread. Issues almost certainly are due to action from the ACC office to protect Raycom and FOX when the rights deal was negotiated. We will see how this gets handled now that ESPN will take back all of the rights and package it into an actual channel.

I have the game on channel 1215 (WITN) and the picture is horrible! Standard def and blurry! Is it available in HD??

Sounds like you would have been better off watching online if your connection was fast enough.

uh_no
01-11-2017, 01:51 AM
ACC Network games are freely viewable on the ACC website for everyone, regardless of location, but this still seems to confuse people. I post the link in the first post when I start the thread. Is that link or the explanation not clear enough for people? Should I make it more obvious? Should it go into its own post?

If this is truly the case, the confusion stems from the fact that you post the link and then a blackout map....to most people (including me), blackout map = you can't stream this game if it's blacked out.

DU82
01-11-2017, 09:49 AM
First and foremost, many thanks to awhom111 for the information provided. I'm sure it takes a lot of time to find all this information, and it is greatly appreciated. So please go and spork him/her since I can't right now.

The ACC network feed is relatively new, and I must confess I typically don't read the "fine print" because I just check to see what station the away games are on since I get them all in Durham. However, I am in DC for a conference, and the local station here that carried the game wasn't on the hotel TV (it was on the MyNetwork station, which are the leftover UPN stations that didn't get the CW.)

When I checked on ESPN3, the game was indeed blacked out. I then tried my phone, and it was available. Unfortunately, I only got to watch the last 8 minutes. Should have just thought it was blacked out.