PDA

View Full Version : Amile Injury Vigil

Pages : [1] 2

NashvilleDevil
01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
We have had way too many of these the last 5-6 years.

gofurman
01-07-2017, 04:51 PM
We have had way too many of these the last 5-6 years.

Any word? Did it look bad? I didn't see the game. Any information ??????? What happened

richardjackson199
01-07-2017, 04:54 PM
I am still optimistic about this. To me - it just didn't look like a bad injury when it happened. Amile did not react like he'd just had a severe injury. He returned to the bench with no boot or ice. I bet they get an MRI to make sure everything is ok given it's the same foot.

But I'm hopeful and expecting good news on this one. Amile deserves good news on this one.

richardjackson199
01-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Any word? Did it look bad? I didn't see the game. Any information ??????? What happened

Amile fell awkwardly in the first half, and it was tough to see - but it looked like he maybe twisted his ankle or foot a bit as his legs got tangled.

He tried to get back up, and to me - he didn't quite realize he was hurt until he got back up and immediately grabbed near his calf. Then he knew he couldn't play and went right to the bench for help from the trainer. He walked to the locker room very gingerly, but he was not being helped out. He walked out slowly on his own power.

He was gone a long time - through all of halftime and part of 2nd half. He was gone long enough to get an X-ray I would guess. He returned in the 2nd half in shoes with no ice or boot.

Basically - we just don't know. As usual with these lower leg injuries. This season continues to be unbelievable.

Saratoga2
01-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I am still optimistic about this. To me - it just didn't look like a bad injury when it happened. Amile did not react like he'd just had a severe injury. He returned to the bench with no boot or ice. I bet they get an MRI to make sure everything is ok given it's the same foot.

But I'm hopeful and expecting good news on this one. Amile deserves good news on this one.

Clearly they have to treat an injury to the foot which was broken last year with special care. We don't really know the extent of it at this point but as has been noted he returned to the bench without a boot or ice, so that is a good sign. If he can't return by Tuesday, we need to get Chase back from the DL. I don't think we can rely on Harry and Marques to stay on the floor, even together, for a 40 minute game. Vrank is still a possibility for depth.

Troublemaker
01-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Hopefully Amile's medical tests go well. It's all that matters right now. I don't really care about the poor 2nd half. Just want to see him healthy.

uh_no
01-07-2017, 05:08 PM
we should say he's out indefinitely and then have him back in one game...

SCMatt33
01-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Clearly they have to treat an injury to the foot which was broken last year with special care. We don't really know the extent of it at this point but as has been noted he returned to the bench without a boot or ice, so that is a good sign. If he can't return by Tuesday, we need to get Chase back from the DL. I don't think we can rely on Harry and Marques to stay on the floor, even together, for a 40 minute game. Vrank is still a possibility for depth.

That's the thing that strikes me as odd. On the one hand, they clearly knew it was a foot injury and they are obstensibly worried about it enough to get tests, but they weren't worried about it enough that the let him go back to the bench under his own power with no boot or crutches as a precaution.

DU82
01-07-2017, 05:18 PM
After returning to the bench, Amile had trouble standing during timeouts, and needed his teammates help to get up and stand.

After the game, he grimaced noticeably as he hobbled to the locker room.

Pghdukie
01-07-2017, 05:27 PM
When's the MRI ? WE won't hear or know anything until test results come back. Purely a guess, but I will presume results will come out Sunday. Brace yourself for the proverbial "lower body injury" Best wishes for Amile !

Spanarkel
01-07-2017, 05:30 PM
That's the thing that strikes me as odd. On the one hand, they clearly knew it was a foot injury and they are obstensibly worried about it enough to get tests, but they weren't worried about it enough that the let him go back to the bench under his own power with no boot or crutches as a precaution.

Doctors/athletic trainers make mistakes too.

BD80
01-07-2017, 05:35 PM

After returning to the bench, Amile had trouble standing during timeouts, and needed his teammates help to get up and stand.

And yet, no ice on the injury while he was on the bench? Why not?

Coballs
01-07-2017, 05:40 PM

You were at the game?

uh_no
01-07-2017, 05:45 PM

case in point: kyrie.

NYBri
01-07-2017, 05:45 PM

It seemed to me that he was grabbing his lower calf. Maybe a pulled muscle or something not associated with swelling?

NY "I stay in Holiday Inn Express Hotels exclusively" Bri

h/t to Jason "Best signature on DBR" Evans

uh_no
01-07-2017, 05:49 PM
You were at the game?

I have it on good authority he was :)

SCMatt33
01-07-2017, 05:51 PM

Well the main reason you'd put ice on something like that is to reduce swelling. Given that he came out with a sneaker on tells me there wasn't significant swelling. What is surprising is that they didn't put a boot on it to stabilize it as a precaution. It's not as if we haven't seen guys in boots as a precaution in the past. My complete, non even close to expert, reading the tea leaves guess is that it wasn't deemed bad enough based on available info during the game, but maybe it started feeling worse when he was on the bench having trouble moving around. Adrenaline from playing can hide some stuff for a short period

DU82
01-07-2017, 05:58 PM
You were at the game?

Yes.

DBFAN
01-07-2017, 06:00 PM
The only encouraging thing was the lack of ice and a boot. It would seem like if it was broken then Jefferson would have had no real movement in the foot/ankle/leg and the trainers would have spotted that immediately and he would have been in a boot. If it was a bad sprain he would have been able to move it somewhat although with pain. Not that a sprain feels a lot better, but to me if it were broken the signs would have been a little more clear to them. I also wondered about his toe, but his foot didn't seem to land in a way for that to happen. It appeared that his foot bent forward. I don't really know what would be affected by that kind of movement since I have no medical knowledge. Just hoping the pain later in game was due to the fact he was sitting still for so long and it just kept getting stiff

BD80
01-07-2017, 06:03 PM
... What is surprising is that they didn't put a boot on it to stabilize it as a precaution. ...

Maybe we ran out of walking boots.

DBFAN
01-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Is there any chance at all of hyperextending something with the way he landed

DBFAN
01-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Lol hahahahahah. I mean all we can do is laugh at this point anyway

FerryFor50
01-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Is there any chance at all of hyperextending something with the way he landed

Only a knee, and he wasn't grabbing that.

I know it's tough, but it's best to keep speculation to a minimum until we get official word as to what happened.

jimsumner
01-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Nah. Duke is on the frequent-buyer plan. Every 10th boot is free.

NSDukeFan
01-07-2017, 06:51 PM

I was pretty sure Duke got a bulk discount.

Ultrarunner
01-07-2017, 06:57 PM

I think we're only up to nine injuries this season.

Someone warn Jack White to be really careful walking in the snow.

construe
01-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Anyone know the status of Chase? I know that he still has a lot to learn to get to Amile's level of knowledge (on defense in particular), but given how many fouls Harry & Marques racked up today, we'll need our 2nd most experienced big man!

And I still have not read any info about Javin's injury. What's going on there?

(Sigh...)

jbay201
01-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Unfortunately i don't think we'll hear anything useful. Duke likes to keep its injury info hidden from everyone. No one even knows that exactly marques bolden injury was as the only info we got was "lower leg injury".

Best wishes to Amile and hope he comes back soon.

tbyers11
01-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Anyone know the status of Chase? I know that he still has a lot to learn to get to Amile's level of knowledge (on defense in particular), but given how many fouls Harry & Marques racked up today, we'll need our 2nd most experienced big man!

And I still have not read any info about Javin's injury. What's going on there?

(Sigh...)

I don't know any specifics on Chase or Javin beyond the fact that they dressed out and participated in warmups today. Chase did not do that against GT and Javin hadn't done that for 4 straight games before today.

davekay1971
01-07-2017, 07:37 PM

I have an M.D. from [Duke], I am board certified in [sports medicine and orthopedic surgery], I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in [North Carolina], and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into [Duke Chapel] and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their [power forward doesn't have a season ending lower leg injury], who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, [Spanarkel], and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on [January 8], and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.

duke96
01-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Well, for what it's worth, Giles is optimistic for Amile:

"“It’s my time to step forward, regardless,” Giles said. “Right now we don’t know what’s going on. He’s going to be fine, I believe, but I have to step up regardless.”
(www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117063/harry-giles-trending-upward-at-critical-time-for-duke)

MartyClark
01-07-2017, 07:45 PM
I have an M.D. from [Duke], I am board certified in [sports medicine and orthopedic surgery], I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in [North Carolina], and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into [Duke Chapel] and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their [power forward doesn't have a season ending lower leg injury], who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, [Spanarkel], and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on [January 8], and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.

Not sure I understand this post.

Troublemaker
01-07-2017, 07:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2dkDh4ov4

porkpa
01-07-2017, 07:59 PM
I'm probably crazy, but I think the shoes have to have something to do with it.
Its very improbable, if not impossible, but so many foot injuries, all wearing Nikes over a sustained period of time have to have some common denominator. It has to defy lots of laws of probability for this to happen so often, to one team over such a long period of time.
I would start with shoes first and then go to training routines next. Something is out of whack.

devildeac
01-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Billy stole dakekay's log-in/password/screen name. :rolleyes:

davekay1971
01-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Ding ding ding ding ding! Strong work, Troublemaker.

mr. synellinden
01-07-2017, 08:29 PM

Ask god how many drinks he had before he cut me open.

billy
01-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Billy stole dakekay's log-in/password/screen name. :rolleyes:

Not so - I'm only aware of one medical board in NC!

davekay1971
01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Not so - I'm only aware of one medical board in NC!

I am ethically opposed to monopolies.

billy
01-07-2017, 09:04 PM

That's funny - I'm often ethically opposed to the medical board!

Dukehky
01-07-2017, 09:17 PM
I think that this is bad guys. Watching him leave the floor after the game did not look like someone who was join to play very soon, and if it was in fact minor, then Capel would have said, "yeah we'll think he'll be okay." They have done that with Grayson, if they're not gonna miss time, they say they'll be okay.

uh_no
01-07-2017, 09:26 PM
I think that this is bad guys. Watching him leave the floor after the game did not look like someone who was join to play very soon, and if it was in fact minor, then Capel would have said, "yeah we'll think he'll be okay." They have done that with Grayson, if they're not gonna miss time, they say they'll be okay.

No, it means we or they don't know. If anything this program has proven over time is that you can't interpret any coach withholding information as meaning anything, one way or another. Sometimes it may end up being the season, sometimes it may end up being a week.

cspan37421
01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm probably crazy, but I think the shoes have to have something to do with it.
Its very improbable, if not impossible, but so many foot injuries, all wearing Nikes over a sustained period of time have to have some common denominator. It has to defy lots of laws of probability for this to happen so often, to one team over such a long period of time.

Can you name one law of probability that it defies?

Also, don't a bunch of schools outfit their basketball players with Nike shoes? Shouldn't all those players (not just our guys) be in the denominator for injury rate calculations, to look at your theory?

devildeac
01-07-2017, 09:48 PM

How about Dukeopolies?

OldPhiKap
01-07-2017, 09:48 PM
That's funny - I'm often ethically opposed to the medical board!

THAT'S funny -- I'm often medically opposed to ethics.

moonpie23
01-07-2017, 09:54 PM
How about Dukeopolies?

we have that game

KShip21
01-07-2017, 09:57 PM

Also, don't a bunch of schools outfit their basketball players with Nike shoes? Shouldn't all those players (not just our guys) be in the denominator for injury rate calculations, to look at your theory?

A lot of KD's and Kobes out there. Both players who have racked up quite a few foot and lower body injuries. Coincidence?

devildeac
01-07-2017, 10:02 PM
we have that game

Looking at it on our game shelf right now. ;)

uh_no
01-07-2017, 10:16 PM

"That defies all odds!"

is usually equal to

"I have a massive observation bias!"

Which in this case is almost assuredly true, since everyone here follows duke quite closely, and thus will observe and remember injuries to duke players far more frequently and vividly than say a season ending injury that knocked joe-schmo out for the year at east-by-north-east nova scotia state.

devildeac
01-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Son-in-law just texted source from TDD that Amile's done for the year with a broken foot. :mad::mad:

It is indeed, over. (if true)

Henderson
01-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Son-in-law just texted source from TDD that Amile's done for the year with a broken foot. :mad::mad:

I ain't sayin' it ain't so, but you've got a couple degrees of separation there....

atoomer0881
01-07-2017, 10:51 PM

I'm going full denial mode until I see articles from Duke saying otherwise. I mean that right there would be the very definition of cruel and unusual punishment. I can't take this!

flyingdutchdevil
01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
I ain't sayin' it ain't so, but you've got a couple degrees of separation there...

A lot of chat on twitter about this too. Again, twitter ain't exactly the WSJ, but it's not sounding good.

devildeac
01-07-2017, 10:56 PM
I ain't sayin' it ain't so, but you've got a couple degrees of separation there...

I'm going full denial mode until I see articles from Duke saying otherwise. I mean that right there would be the very definition of cruel and unusual punishment. I can't take this!

Yep, we'll see/hear from Duke tomorrow I'd bet/hope/think.

Devilwin
01-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Lord let this be wrong. We cannot afford to lose him, and it just isn't fair to the kid, who is having a great season. Hope this is just speculative bull fecal matter..:mad:

uh_no
01-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Lord let this be wrong. We cannot afford to lose him, and it just isn't fair to the kid, who is having a great season. Hope this is just speculative bull fecal matter..:mad:

on the bright side, he'd go out averaging a mathematical double-double for the year (and depending on any rounding shenanigans) by one rebound!

I don't mean to make a joke either, because if this is the end of Amile's career at Duke, he made one hell of an exit for the first half of this season.

rhynelander
01-07-2017, 11:14 PM
"It will take time, but he will be okay." Is what I'm hearing.

uh_no
01-07-2017, 11:17 PM

Maybe time for us all to wait until we have official info given there are apparently conflicting rumors?

ricks68
01-07-2017, 11:31 PM
When I was practicing, I was often unethical, but always treated my patients while adhering to extremely high moral standards. Ethical standards are often immoral, and I refused to sacrifice the well being of my patients to protect some of the immoral standards of my former profession.

ricks

OldPhiKap
01-07-2017, 11:32 PM
When I was practicing, I was often unethical, but always treated my patients while adhering to extremely high moral standards. Ethical standards are often immoral, and I refused to sacrifice the well being of my patients to protect some of the immoral standards of my former profession.

ricks

You should fly with me, Yossarian.

DukieTiger
01-07-2017, 11:33 PM

That was a misunderstanding cause by a rash poster misreading a post that was referring to Amile's injury from LAST year.

So who knows what's up with this more recent injury.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2017, 11:36 PM

Troublemaker
01-07-2017, 11:44 PM

That's what I'm daring to hope for, something in between the two extremes of "He's suiting up on Tuesday" and "Season-Ending." If he's out for a couple of weeks, I'll feel relieved.

So I hope your sources are correct.

ricks68
01-08-2017, 12:00 AM
You should fly with me, Yossarian.

Sure wish I could but I have to stay on the ground to keep switching the Texan's bottles.

ricks

jipops
01-08-2017, 12:18 AM
That's what I'm daring to hope for, something in between the two extremes of "He's suiting up on Tuesday" and "Season-Ending." If he's out for a couple of weeks, I'll feel relieved.

So I hope your sources are correct.

I'm with that, though at the very least I'm counting on him being out for awhile, which at this point would still be a welcome scenario. That ends hope for finally capturing another conference title. But hope for something else beyond that is not dead yet. Just got to get enough conference wins to get into the tournament.

Devilwin
01-08-2017, 05:43 AM
Hopefully, he's back soon. But if he cannot go, I believe we are still good enough to win it all. This team is deep, and if Giles and Bolden continue to improve, yes, we can win it all. Marquis needs to step it up a bit more, Giles is getting better each outing. Defense is a key. Play it well, we are there.:)

NancyCarol
01-08-2017, 08:04 AM
So basically we're all worried sick about Amile, all the foot injuries might be the Nike shoes (or not), no one has any facts, some doctor on the board is posting wackadoodle God stuff (sometimes it's a blessing to not be able to read a doctor's handwriting, but I digress), and him not wearing a boot was either a good sign or a bad sign. This thread is a lot like what goes through a Mother's mind when the kid takes the car for the first time and is an hour late coming home.

budwom
01-08-2017, 09:01 AM
So basically we're all worried sick about Amile, all the foot injuries might be the Nike shoes (or not), no one has any facts, some doctor on the board is posting wackadoodle God stuff (sometimes it's a blessing to not be able to read a doctor's handwriting, but I digress), and him not wearing a boot was either a good sign or a bad sign. This thread is a lot like what goes through a Mother's mind when the kid takes the car for the first time and is an hour late coming home.

Yeah, possibly the most bizarre post of the year, can't rule out alcohol in the diagnosis.

I know nothing, but the distinct hobbling on a previously broken foot is DEFCON 1 troubling. I'm assuming the worst and will then be pleasantly surprised if it's less than that.

Indoor66
01-08-2017, 09:01 AM
THAT'S funny -- I'm often medically opposed to ethics.

Is that mostly when you drink some of devildeac's beers?

CDu
01-08-2017, 09:06 AM

No, a poster was attempting to add levity with an Alec Baldwin quote from 'Malice' that flew over folks' heads.

As for the rest, I agree with what budwom posted next: a re-injury of any sort to the same foot that caused Jefferson's 2016 season to end is a major concern. Hopefully it turns out okay. But it is a major concern.

davekay1971
01-08-2017, 09:12 AM
we have that game

As do we. And actually broke it out yesterday for the first time in years because my 8 year old, who's been playing Monopoly Jr with our 4 year old, wanted to try "adult Monopoly." It was fun. The 8 year old won. I don't think I spent as much time in Perkins Library when I was at Duke as I did yesterday when my daughter owned it.

For NancyCarol and Budwom, if y'all are referring to my post...IT'S A JOKING REFERENCE TO ALEC BALDWIN'S OVER THE TOP CHEESE MONOLOGUE FROM THE MOVIE MALICE! Mediocre movie, but top-quality Baldwin cheese moment. His monologue in Glengarry Glen Ross was better, though.

Next time I will type (yes, my handwriting does, in fact, suck) a humor alert...

OldPhiKap
01-08-2017, 09:14 AM

The Dubbel made me do it.

davekay1971
01-08-2017, 09:15 AM

The Dubbel's in the Tripel (at least, that's his Tramping Ground if you happen to be at the Aviator Brewing Company in Raleigh)

devildeac
01-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Yeah, possibly the most bizarre post of the year, can't rule out alcohol in the diagnosis.

I know nothing, but the distinct hobbling on a previously broken foot is DEFCON 1 troubling. I'm assuming the worst and will then be pleasantly surprised if it's less than that.

Straight to DEFCON 1 already, budwom? I mighta started at 5 or maybe 4 but not DEFCON 1. ;)

devildeac
01-08-2017, 09:18 AM

AFAIK, OPK and I have only shared one beer previously (I'll see if he remembers or misremembers :)). He marches to his own fermenter. ;)

Indoor66
01-08-2017, 09:20 AM
AFAIK, OPK and I have only shared one beer previously (I'll see if he remembers or misremembers :)). He marches to his own fermenter. ;)

Which one of the two is chicken? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

OldPhiKap
01-08-2017, 09:22 AM

I think that is right, which means we were not drinking the other two times we've met.

Our sponsors will be proud.

devildeac
01-08-2017, 09:22 AM

That is well done, but not quite correct. ;)

It shoulda been "the Duvel made me do it."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.beer/0_RdGSbtvRQ

devildeac
01-08-2017, 09:24 AM

OPK is the straw that stirs the drink. I'm just chicken (or should that be chicken****). :o

Rich
01-08-2017, 09:25 AM

That was a misunderstanding cause by a rash poster misreading a post that was referring to Amile's injury from LAST year.

So who knows what's up with this more recent injury.

Was it confirmed that the broken foot/done for the year post was based on info from last year's injury? I assume we don't have any real news yet?

CDu
01-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Was it confirmed that the broken foot/done for the year post was based on info from last year's injury? I assume we don't have any real news yet?

The only thing we know is that it was a foot injury to the same foot that he injured last year. We don't have a timetable, nor do we have a known severity yet.

Indoor66
01-08-2017, 09:33 AM
The only thing we know is that it was a foot injury to the same foot that he injured last year. We don't have a timetable, nor do we have a known severity yet.

I will go out on a limb (and hope I don't fall off) and assertively state that he says "Ouch!" every time he puts all his weight on that injured foot.

devildeac
01-08-2017, 09:33 AM

My logical (dubious, I know :o) guess would be several X-rays last PM and, conclusive or inconclusive, an MRI to confirm normal vs break vs ligament/tendon injury today or tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Not chicken, just limited opportunities. Bad beer at the Peach-fil-A; limited time in South Bend. Enjoyed a tasting in Devil's Alley before the last game in pre-renovated Wally Wade.

CDu
01-08-2017, 09:41 AM
I will go out on a limb (and hope I don't fall off) and assertively state that he says "Ouch!" every time he puts all his weight on that injured foot.

Just please don't go out on Jefferson's limb (the good one or the bad one).

[I'll show myself the door now]

jv001
01-08-2017, 09:58 AM

It didn't look like Amile turned or twisted his foot/ankle. At first it looked like a cramp but then the bad news that it was an injury to his foot. Nothing to do but wait until we hear more or see Amile in the lineup. GoDuke!

Newton_14
01-08-2017, 10:30 AM
It didn't look like Amile turned or twisted his foot/ankle. At first it looked like a cramp but then the bad news that it was an injury to his foot. Nothing to do but wait until we hear more or see Amile in the lineup. GoDuke!

He stepped on a BC player's foot while making his move. That's what caused him to fall.

jv001
01-08-2017, 10:37 AM
He stepped on a BC player's foot while making his move. That's what caused him to fall.

Thanks Newt. I did not see that. That being the case, the injury could be twisted ankle, foot sprain or God forbid, a fracture. We are due for some good luck. So, I'm hoping for the injury that get's him back asap. GoDuke!

tbyers11
01-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Yes, you are correct. When looking at the replay, it was obvious he didn't land on anyone's foot. I was flummoxed how he hurt his foot/lower leg so badly. I didn't catch that he stepped on the BC player's foot until about the 4th time I watched the replay.

Troublemaker
01-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Gotta say, ladies and gents, I'm pretty bummed about this injury. I'd like to think I'm one of the more positive-thinking folks on this forum -- although not close to Ozzie -- but I felt a tinge of sadness this morning when I sat down to drink my morning coffee, one of the (typically) bright spots in my day. I'm sad for Amile. And for our team and our coaches, who can't seem to catch a break.

I really, really hope Amile can play again this season. We need this one, Basketball Gods. We need this to be a foot sprain -- out 2-3 weeks -- in the worst way.

jimmiles
01-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Gotta say, ladies and gents, I'm pretty bummed about this injury. I'd like to think I'm one of the more positive-thinking folks on this forum -- although not close to Ozzie -- but I felt a tinge of sadness this morning when I sat down to drink my morning coffee, one of the (typically) bright spots in my day. I'm sad for Amile. And for our team and our coaches, who can't seem to catch a break.

I really, really hope Amile can play again this season. We need this one, Basketball Gods. We need this to be a foot sprain -- out 2-3 weeks -- in the worst way.

Amen Amen we really need a break butmost importantly Amile,who has been a wonderful representative for us, needs it more.

moonpie23
01-08-2017, 12:44 PM
"One Shining Moment" should have to be clips of the entire season's "it's over" moments, rather than the tourny (if it's us)

devildeac
01-08-2017, 12:51 PM
"One Shining Moment" should have to be clips of the entire season's "it's over" moments, rather than the tourny (if it's us)

I'm happy to see moonpie checking in on this thread as it's likely he'll be the first to know any official word as he's always sooooo far ahead of (most of, but not all of) us in DBR chat. ;):rolleyes:

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 01:02 PM
It should be noted that Bobby Hurley, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and Ryan Kelly all suffered in-season broken-foot injuries and returned the same season with reasonable levels of effectiveness.

And no, I don't know anymore than the rest of us.

WVDUKEFAN
01-08-2017, 01:11 PM
I wish Amile the best as well. A great kid with an impeccable work ethic and positive attitude. If there is possibly an upside to a short term injury, it's the fact that the 5 star freshmen bigs will get some much needed playing time and experience. Obviously, we're in January now, so the reduced number of games we get to come together is going to be a factor. Coach K and Coach Capel will figure it out. Go Duke!

uh_no
01-08-2017, 01:33 PM
It should be noted that Bobby Hurley, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and Ryan Kelly all suffered in-season broken-foot injuries and returned the same season with reasonable levels of effectiveness.

And no, I don't know anymore than the rest of us.

Kelly was iffy. Despite destroying miami, he was a shadow of himself after that....and was not nearly as mobile, especially on D...which was a huge factor against UL.

sagegrouse
01-08-2017, 01:45 PM
I prefer to look on the bright side:

He did return to the court before the end of the game
He wouldn't have played anyway, given our lead (although it shrank)
He wasn't on a stretcher
He wasn't using crutches
He didn't wear a boot
There are mixed views as to whether he was limping

Conclusion (well, hope) -- he'll be back soon.

Devilwin
01-08-2017, 01:46 PM
If you're watching UNC State game, coming up at the half they are going to mention news about Amile..Whether it's anything new, not sure.

NYBri
01-08-2017, 01:49 PM
If you're watching UNC State game, coming up at the half they are going to mention news about Amile..Whether it's anything new, not sure.

About the ONLY good reason to watch a Cheater's game.

BTW, 9F!

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Kelly was iffy. Despite destroying miami, he was a shadow of himself after that...and was not nearly as mobile, especially on D...which was a huge factor against UL.

Sure. That's why I qualified it. But Kelly was injured on January 8 against Clemson, returned on March 2 against Miami and started for a team that reached the Elite Eight.

Hence, reasonable effectiveness.

DBFAN
01-08-2017, 01:55 PM

Prob just a way to bait everyone so they can talk more about Grayson SMH

jimsumner
01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
No news yet. Tests later.

Breaking news from the world-wide sports leader.

Emerrick
01-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Prob just a way to bait everyone so they can talk more about Grayson SMH

Haha! Exactly what it was...

Indoor66
01-08-2017, 02:04 PM

This will probably be earth tripping!

FerryFor50
01-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Yes, you are correct. When looking at the replay, it was obvious he didn't land on anyone's foot. I was flummoxed how he hurt his foot/lower leg so badly. I didn't catch that he stepped on the BC player's foot until about the 4th time I watched the replay.

I've landed on my foot like Amile did in that game and it ended up being a surprisingly painful heel bruise.

Was good in a week or two, and I was 38 when it happened.

Hopefully he has the same luck.

dukelifer
01-08-2017, 03:34 PM

The word breaking should not be used in this thread

sagegrouse
01-08-2017, 03:43 PM
As uh-no said, it is a big deal because it means a banner.

Ask Coach K about his first ACC championship. He will speak glowingly of that 1986 team... when they clinched it by beating UNC in Cameron in the final regular season game.

It matters. Coach K values all championships: preseason tournaments, ACC regular season, ACC tournament, and NCAA tournament.

I wish Duke would take down the ACC Championship, AP regular season #1, and Final Four banners, though I could be persuaded to keep those. I would prefer to see only retired jerseys and National Championship banners hanging in Cameron. The excessive banners seems to somehow takes away from the whole.

It's certainly more balanced and "legitimate" than a 1 and done tournament...

Agree with Olympic Fan, the ACC Championship is the ACC Tournament Championship, unrelated to the relative merit of winning the Regular Season ACC Championship vs the ACC Tournament. One should not refer to the ACC Regular Season Championship as the ACC Championship. Not right.

If you would rather win the ACC title than the National Championship more power to you. I doubt you will find even one person to agree with you, though.

I am begging you, take this discussion to another thread. This thread is about Amile's injury and its seriousness, the most important topic of the week.

Kindly,
Sage

Steven43
01-08-2017, 03:45 PM
I am begging you, take this discussion to another thread. This thread is about Amile's injury and its seriousness, the most important topic of the week.

Kindly,
Sage

Fine by me. Any Amile updates?

sagegrouse
01-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Fine by me. Any Amile updates?

No. Good point. But this is like keeping the phone line into the fire station free for emergency calls.

-- Sage
'Are there still phone lines to fire stations, or is everything radio?'

-bdbd
01-08-2017, 03:56 PM
A usually reliable poster on Scout, who's had inside info before, is saying "Out but not done". Would then expect a "out indefinitely" announcement later. The video replay looks like a turned ankle.

Troublemaker
01-08-2017, 04:08 PM
A usually reliable poster on Scout, who's had inside info before, is saying "Out but not done". Would then expect a "out indefinitely" announcement later. The video replay looks like a turned ankle.

There's a LOT of momentum for "out in the short-term, but will return," which is honestly a relief.

plimnko
01-08-2017, 04:44 PM
There's a LOT of momentum for "out in the short-term, but will return," which is honestly a relief.

i hope there's A LOT of truth to go with that momentum

hallcity
01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
By this time, after 5:00 on Sunday, with no statement from Duke, I think we can say Duke is just messing with FSU. Of course, by now, the Duke coaching staff knows what the injury is and what the prognosis is. Duke is also messing with its fans but that's secondary.

jimmiles
01-08-2017, 05:34 PM
By this time, after 5:00 on Sunday, with no statement from Duke, I think we can say Duke is just messing with FSU. Of course, by now, the Duke coaching staff knows what the injury is and what the prognosis is. Duke is also messing with its fans but that's secondary.

can we please confine this thread with news about Amile's injury, thanks

devildeac
01-08-2017, 05:43 PM
From our younger son in law again from TDD:

"MRI showing injury not as bad as initially thought. Back this season but it'll probably be a while."

Lemme go snoop around over there and see if I can find out any more info. Might be premium stuff. Not sure how they run their boards.

No mention of the ACC regular season vs ACCT. :rolleyes:

Pghdukie
01-08-2017, 06:27 PM
No ice on injury usually means a fracture. I SURELY HOPE I'M WRONG. Please let me be wrong.

sagegrouse
01-08-2017, 06:32 PM
No ice on injury usually means a fracture. I SURELY HOPE I'M WRONG. Please let me be wrong.

He walked back to the Duke bench in the 2nd half without crutches or even a boot (which some Duke players seem to wear as a fashion statement). I think it is less than a fracture.

NSDukeFan
01-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Did another BC player trip him? This tripping is rampant. That whole team should be suspended for 10 days or 3 games, whichever is longer.
Any chance Amile can keep getting redshirted each year until the next generation of Plumlees is ready?

Pghdukie
01-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Sage, Im wishing you are right. I will gladly admit I'm wrong. Amile did need help getting out of his chair tho. And he did need help getting back to dressing room. Again, I hope your right

dukelifer
01-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Yes - you are about fractures

curtis325
01-08-2017, 07:59 PM
I hold my breath every time I log in to the EK forum, hoping there is not another bit of bad news. It's amazing that the Devils are 14-2.

Persevere!

KShip21
01-09-2017, 08:44 AM
I'll just play Mr. Optimistic for a minute. Could the lack of information (besides yesterday being a Sunday), be due to the fact that the "injury" is a non issue? He tweeked a previously injured foot, during a 20+ point game at the time, and he was pulled as a precaution with some discomfort. No boot or crutches has to be a good sign. Anyone who has done anything to a foot, ankle, knee regardless of how severe, knows it feels like the end of the world when it happens, you find out you didn't really do much to it at all, limp around a day or so, then you're ok. Would love for this to be the case. However, the way this season (or the last 5 years) has gone, I expect him to miss some time, and hope to see him back for second half of ACC schedule.

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2017, 09:12 AM
I'll just play Mr. Optimistic for a minute. Could the lack of information (besides yesterday being a Sunday), be due to the fact that the "injury" is a non issue? He tweeked a previously injured foot, during a 20+ point game at the time, and he was pulled as a precaution with some discomfort. No boot or crutches has to be a good sign. Anyone who has done anything to a foot, ankle, knee regardless of how severe, knows it feels like the end of the world when it happens, you find out you didn't really do much to it at all, limp around a day or so, then you're ok. Would love for this to be the case. However, the way this season (or the last 5 years) has gone, I expect him to miss some time, and hope to see him back for second half of ACC schedule.

I think the lack of information has more to do with a) it's a weekend and specialists don't work 24/7 (especially for second and third opinions) and b) seeking advise from Coach K, who is no longer as accessible now as he once was.

I am optimistic that Jefferson isn't out for the season. I'm not optimistic that Jefferson will be back soon.

WiJoe
01-09-2017, 09:14 AM

That's about as optimistic as can be. :o

Also, about as unlikely as possible. :(

Class of '94
01-09-2017, 09:31 AM
I think the lack of information has more to do with a) it's a weekend and specialists don't work 24/7 (especially for second and third opinions) and b) seeking advise from Coach K, who is no longer as accessible now as he once was.

I am optimistic that Jefferson isn't out for the season. I'm not optimistic that Jefferson will be back soon.

In addition, things have slowed down alot in the Triangle due to the winter storm that came through over the weekend. Having lived in Michigan for a number of years, its even funnier to me to see how things shut down in NC with only a few inches of snow on the ground. Even some of Duke's medical offices are closed today. I hope we hear something soon .

Spanarkel
01-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I hold my breath every time I log in to the EK forum, hoping there is not another bit of bad news. It's amazing that the Devils are 14-2.

Persevere!

Agreed! I reviewed the past 10 seasons and, despite a number of injuries over that time frame, a minimum of 4 players(and up to 6-7 players some years)has played in every game of the season each year. IF AJ misses tomorrow's game(looks likely at this point but who really knows), then for the '16-'17 season only Luke and Matt will have played in every game. We just haven't really had a core group to work with so far, but I feel Harry(in particular)and Marques are improving steadily.

SORRY that this post has no new information on AJ's right lower body injury. Praying for a readily reversible issue.

CDu
01-09-2017, 09:57 AM
In addition, things have slowed down alot in the Triangle due to the winter storm that came through over the weekend. Having lived in Michigan for a number of years, its even funnier to me to see how things shut down in NC with only a few inches of snow on the ground. Even some of Duke's medical offices are closed today. I hope we hear something soon .

It's all about infrastructure. Michigan gets lots of snow. It is thus cost-effective to keep plows active and staff at the ready to handle snow. In NC we get 1-2 snows per year and they tend to be minor. Doesn't make sense to stock plows and staff for such little accumulation. It is smarter to just take the 1-2 day hit on productivity than to waste all that money to make things slightly better for those 1-2 days.

Also, Michigan is pretty flat (at least where most of the people in the state live), whereas NC is quite hilly-to-mountainous (at least in the places that actually get snow). Makes things more difficult when it does snow.

WVDUKEFAN
01-09-2017, 10:01 AM
I navigated to the DBR website this morning and saw JD's headline "Harry Giles Update" and thought "OH NO!!!!!!!!!! - Not another injury". Thank goodness the article wasn't injury related. I have a good feeling this team is going to get into great physical and mental shape and being "something special" as Coach K indicated in the pre season. Go Duke!

wsb3
01-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Persevere!

I understand. I have tried to limit the number of times I check on Amile.

It seems like it has been a very long season already. I am not usually this mentally exhausted until Spring..:(

jv001
01-09-2017, 10:46 AM

There was one man that was perfect that walked the earth and His name is Jesus Christ. So, outside of Him, none of us mortals are perfect. GoDuke!

devildeac
01-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Reasonable take/perspective. OTOH, ASSuming the sequence of x-rays Saturday and MRI Sunday, the radiologist/s review and confer (officially or unofficially) with one (or more) of the ortho/sports medicine MDs either by phone or a casual meet-up and discussion during rounds in the radiology department and conclude damaged ligaments (or fracture) but nothing urgent (despite what the folks on DBR and/or TDD think :p) so let's put the patient in a (dreaded) boot and on crutches and bring him in Monday/Tuesday for an exam and make some plans with the coaching/medical staff and then release some (ambiguous-cough: lower body/foot) medical/prognosis information.

Not saying that's how it happened or what I expect, but it's a logical/calculated sequence from injury to testing to diagnosis and treatment.

That being said, if I do hear anything from my secondary/tertiary contacts in the Duke ortho department and/or friends, I'll let y'all know but will be happy to wait (mostly patiently) and get the official information whenever the Duke athletic department releases it. :)

Tom B.
01-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Would then expect a "out indefinitely" announcement later.

So he'll miss one game?

Ba-dum-bum. Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
It's all about infrastructure. Michigan gets lots of snow. It is thus cost-effective to keep plows active and staff at the ready to handle snow. In NC we get 1-2 snows per year and they tend to be minor. Doesn't make sense to stock plows and staff for such little accumulation. It is smarter to just take the 1-2 day hit on productivity than to waste all that money to make things slightly better for those 1-2 days.

Also, Michigan is pretty flat (at least where most of the people in the state live), whereas NC is quite hilly-to-mountainous (at least in the places that actually get snow). Makes things more difficult when it does snow.
Yeah, the refreeze last night was brutal. I tried to get out of my driveway this morning and could not even get a few feet up the hill on my street. The ice is really bad. So, I imagine anything requiring travel today by any involved party (patient, physician, imaging techs, etc) will generally be quite tough.

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-09-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm from up north, the other huge difference is northern states get snow instead of the junk we get.

I'm in Chapel Hill and live on a hill. The back roads are literally an inch of ice. Going down a hill on ice without chains is rolling the dice on the welfare of your car.

I'll be on the couch today 😀

jv001
01-09-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm from up north, the other huge difference is northern states get snow instead of the junk we get.

I'm in Chapel Hill and live on a hill. The back roads are literally an inch of ice. Going down a hill on ice without chains is rolling the dice on the welfare of your car.

I'll be on the couch today ��

Don't worry the heat is coming your way very soon. :cool: GoDuke!

kAzE
01-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Pretty great article about Amile's value to the team. The short story is: he's really, really important.

https://accsports.com/acc-analytics/amile-jefferson-means-duke-might-think/

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Don't worry the heat is coming your way very soon. :cool: GoDuke!

I live in Chapel Hill, but not that hill. But, when the wind blows from the east I can smell it's stench.

CDu
01-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Yeah, the refreeze last night was brutal. I tried to get out of my driveway this morning and could not even get a few feet up the hill on my street. The ice is really bad. So, I imagine anything requiring travel today by any involved party (patient, physician, imaging techs, etc) will generally be quite tough.

I'll be on the couch today 😀

Very key distinctions. The slush we get in combination with the snow, as well as the frequency with which the temperature on the roads dances above and below freezing is much different than what they get in the North. It's a lot easier to deal with snow than it is to deal with ice.

dukelion
01-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Update

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Amile-Jefferson-latest-Duke-player-to-suffer-injury-50403658

dahntaysdawg
01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/01/amile-jefferson-to-miss-florida-state-game-with-bone-bruise-on-right-foot

Bone bruise....better than the alternative.

jv001
01-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Update

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Amile-Jefferson-latest-Duke-player-to-suffer-injury-50403658

Bolden on the list: was out for a sprained left ankle. First I time I have heard the nature of his injury. GoDuke!

CDu
01-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Update

Unfortunately, not really much of an update. We already knew it was the foot, we already knew he'd probably miss "some" time, and the presence of him without a walking boot on the bench suggested it wasn't quite as serious as last year's injury.

That isn't meant to bash the article, though, as it really doesn't seem to be intended as an update on Jefferson's status. This article just seems more a summary of what we already know: Jefferson got hurt, and it's another in a long list of injuries this year.

bluedev_92
01-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Update

Thanks for posting. At least it doesn't sound too bad... Godspeed Amile!!

dahntaysdawg
Unfortunately, not really much of an update. We already knew it was the foot, we already knew he'd probably miss "some" time, and the presence of him without a walking boot on the bench suggested it wasn't quite as serious as last year's injury.

That isn't meant to bash the article, though, as it really doesn't seem to be intended as an update on Jefferson's status. This article just seems more a summary of what we already know: Jefferson got hurt, and it's another in a long list of injuries this year.

See my post at the end of the last page. Chronicle saying it's a bone bruise and he will be re-eval on Wed.

CDu
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/01/amile-jefferson-to-miss-florida-state-game-with-bone-bruise-on-right-foot

Bone bruise...better than the alternative.

Now THIS article on the other hand IS a real update.

jv001
01-09-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the link. Yes, better than a fracture. GoDuke!

DBFAN
01-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Bone Bruise. Not the worst thing that could have happen.

blUDAYvil
01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
http://healingfeet.com/sports/bone-bruises-5-athletes-dealing-painful-injury-how-heal-yours

Can't vouch for the reliability of the source, but quoting:

When Can I Expect to Recover from a Bone Bruise?
A bone bruise can take as little as two weeks or as much as a full year to heal. Most of the injuries we see — often caused by falls or crushing injuries — will heal within two to six weeks. The extreme cases that take closer to a year to heal usually occur because there have been complications. For instance, swollen blood clots, infections like cellulitis, poor circulation, inadequate nutrition, compartment syndrome, repeated trauma, and heredity can all interfere with the healing time of a bone bruise.

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Bone Bruise. Not the worst thing that could have happen.

Actually, a very good thing given the number of scenarios provided on DBR.

Bone bruises hurt like hell, but the heal quick.

Spanarkel
01-09-2017, 12:33 PM
I've landed on my foot like Amile did in that game and it ended up being a surprisingly painful heel bruise.

Was good in a week or two, and I was 38 when it happened.

Hopefully he has the same luck.

Double sporks?

Troublemaker
01-09-2017, 12:34 PM

My google-fu says it just depends on the severity of the bone bruise. So we don't really know. It could be good news but maybe not.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Update

Nice summary of the injuries and games missed. So far. :(

WVDUKEFAN
01-09-2017, 12:35 PM
It's not good news, per se, but it could have been a lot worse. Rest up and get well, Amile!!

devildeac
01-09-2017, 12:37 PM
http://healingfeet.com/sports/bone-bruises-5-athletes-dealing-painful-injury-how-heal-yours

A bone bruise can take as little as two weeks or as much as a full year to heal. Most of the injuries we see — often caused by falls or crushing injuries — will heal within two to six weeks. The extreme cases that take closer to a year to heal usually occur because there have been complications. For instance, swollen blood clots, infections like cellulitis, poor circulation, inadequate nutrition, compartment syndrome, repeated trauma, and heredity can all interfere with the healing time of a bone bruise.

Good info. Thanks.

IOW, "indefinite." :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
01-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Does that mean it's just half-over?

sagegrouse
01-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Let me underscore CDu's excellent point. I live in a mountain community that gets over 300 inches of snow a year. The first sound I hear in the AM is a snow plow, which comes by at 6 AM. We have the labor and the equipment 'cuz both vertical and horizontal construction tend to stop in the winter, freeing up trucks and workers. As far as I know, the schools have NEVER closed for snow.*** We did close once a few years ago when the temperature got to -35 because of difficulties with school buses and school bus stops.

Kindly,
Sage
*** On big snow days school attendance does take a hit, not because kids can't make it to school, but because they play hooky and go skiing.

SCMatt33
01-09-2017, 12:46 PM

So I know that website is "healingfeet.com", but that article appears mostly to be about bone bruises in the knee (with one example of a finger). This article appears to be about feet, and is less optimistic, though it doesn't really speak to it a sports injury per se, so recovery times could be more for the average person.

http://healingfeet.com/foot-pain/bone-bruise-recovery-time

I just hope this doesn't turn into one of those where we just never hear anything about how long it will take and just drags on and on.

JasonEvans
01-09-2017, 12:50 PM
The fact that they are unsure if he will miss Louisville tells me this may be a very short-term setback for Amile and we should have him back soon. In the mean time, getting Jeter back is a big deal to battle against the FSU big men. And here's to a Blue Devil blowout where Javin gets some burn tonight as well!

Because all threads devolve into minutes/starters discussions eventually, my crystal ball says that if K was in charge we would see Uncle Matty in the starting lineup for Amile tonight. But, with Capel calling the shots (with input from K) I would not rule out Jeter starting. Wellll, on second thought I bet Jeter has not been getting enough practice time lately to be there for a start. Oh well. Grayson, Luke, Matt, Tatum, and Giles. This would be an awful good time for "it" to start to click for Giles and Bolden.

-Jason "FSU at FSU is easily among the 2-3 toughest games left on our schedule, IMO" Evans

sagegrouse
01-09-2017, 12:54 PM
The Adam Rowe and Duke Chronicle piece say the same thing, both based on Capel's presser today (the ARowe quotes below were one article down on the cited Web page):

... Jeff Capel updated the injury status of graduate senior Amile Jefferson, and he will miss at least Tuesday night's game at Florida State with a bruised bone in his right foot. ... test indicate[s] there is no fracture or break in the foot...

Capel said that Blue Devils' big men Chase Jeter (two games) and Javin DeLaurier (five games) are healthy and will play against the Seminoles.

Capel said that Jefferson would continue to be evaluated on Wednesday and a determination will be made then as to whether or not he can play on Saturday at Louisville.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 12:55 PM
"Typical" MRI of a bone bruise in the ankle:

Disclaimer: This is not Amile's.

Second disclaimer: We also don't know which bone in Amile's foot/ankle is bruised either. And no, I really don't need/expect to find out either.

Source: http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/bruised-bone

NM Duke Fan
01-09-2017, 12:58 PM
The fact that they are unsure if he will miss Louisville tells me this may be a very short-term setback for Amile and we should have him back soon. In the mean time, getting Jeter back is a big deal to battle against the FSU big men. And here's to a Blue Devil blowout where Javin gets some burn tonight as well!

Because all threads devolve into minutes/starters discussions eventually, my crystal ball says that if K was in charge we would see Uncle Matty in the starting lineup for Amile tonight. But, with Capel calling the shots (with input from K) I would not rule out Jeter starting. Wellll, on second thought I bet Jeter has not been getting enough practice time lately to be there for a start. Oh well. Grayson, Luke, Matt, Tatum, and Giles. This would be an awful good time for "it" to start to click for Giles and Bolden.

-Jason "FSU at FSU is easily among the 2-3 toughest games left on our schedule, IMO" Evans

I had the same impression, reevaluation on Wednesday and uncertain for the weekend is more of a postive sign to me. I have seen bone bruises heal up well in a week if they are minor. We shall see. Also agree that Chase being available is very good news, he does have an experience edge. Certainly one of the toughest games left on the schedule, but still winnable with enough defensive intensity and communication. For some reason I feel like Tatum is really going to shine ...

BD80
01-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Update

OK, well, hum, maybe I'll back away from the ledge a little bit. But I'm not coming down until I see Amile dressed for a game!

FerryFor50
01-09-2017, 01:06 PM
"Typical" MRI of a bone bruise in the ankle:

Disclaimer: This is not Amile's.

Second disclaimer: We also don't know which bone in Amile's foot/ankle is bruised either. And no, I really don't need/expect to find out either.

Source: http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/bruised-bone

The way he landed was likely not an ankle. More likely the bottom of the foot.

LasVegas
01-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Marc gasol was diagnosed with a bruised bone in his foot on oct 15th. Played in a preseason game on the 19th and scored like 6 points in 20 minutes. Then played on the 26th and scored 18 points in 20 minutes. Obviously all injuries are different but maybe the basketball gods will give Amile a gift here. He deserves it.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 01:12 PM
The way he landed was likely not an ankle. More likely the bottom of the foot.

Yep, hence my foot/ankle "phrase-ology" above. Could be a (dreaded:o) 5th metatarsal/any metatarsal or one of the tarsal bones.

cbarry
01-09-2017, 01:14 PM
I'm still on the ledge. I had a bad gut feeling when he did it, and I still have the same feeling. Unfortunately, I don't see Amile coming back for the regular season, if at all. Maybe tourney time? I hate that for Amile and for the team.

Every year, somebody gets injured, but at least 3/4 of our players have been injured this year! This is getting out of hand. Add me to the "get rid of the Nikes" group.

OK, well, hum, maybe I'll back away from the ledge a little bit. But I'm not coming down until I see Amile dressed for a game!

FerryFor50
01-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Yep, hence my foot/ankle "phrase-ology" above. Could be a (dreaded:o) 5th metatarsal/any metatarsal or one of the tarsal bones.

Looked like a heel to me. But time will tell, I guess. :)

CDu
01-09-2017, 01:24 PM

The lack of certainty regarding the Louisville game, combined with the fact that he was allowed to (a) walk off the court on his own and (b) return to the bench without a boot all seem to suggest good things.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, even if he misses just one game, that one game is one of the absolute toughest (possibly THE toughest) left on our schedule. And if he misses two games, that would be two of the three or four toughest games on the schedule. So, to say it was bad timing would be an understatement.

Still,ultimately these games aren't going to matter much come March. Provided we get everyone healthy, we'll be a #1 or #2 seed in the tournament. And as long as we're healthy and have at least 5-10 games together, we'll be fine. Those are "ifs", but I feel better about those "ifs" being "yesses" given the news.

DukeWarhead
01-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see Amile coming back for the regular season, if at all

Glad you aren't the team doctor. Throw them negative vibes in some other direction. :mad: Amile and his bone-bruised heel will be back in good time.

Kedsy
01-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see Amile coming back for the regular season, if at all.

I don't know if you were one of them, but it wasn't so long ago that posters here were similarly predicting that none of Harry, Jayson, and Marques would play a minute in a Duke uniform. No offense intended, but without hearing your credentials or evidence of any kind backing your opinion, I'm assuming your assertion above has the same degree of reliability as those others.

FerryFor50
01-09-2017, 01:36 PM
I don't know if you were one of them, but it wasn't so long ago that posters here were similarly predicting that none of Harry, Jayson, and Marques would play a minute in a Duke uniform. No offense intended, but without hearing your credentials or evidence of any kind backing your opinion, I'm assuming your assertion above has the same degree of reliability as those others.

It'd be really hard to believe that a redshirt senior that was playing at an all-American level before his injury wouldn't come back from a bone bruise.

Ichabod Drain
01-09-2017, 01:39 PM

You must have missed the evidence in his post. He clearly stated it was a gut feeling, the most scientific of all evidence.

kAzE
01-09-2017, 01:39 PM
The lack of certainty regarding the Louisville game, combined with the fact that he was allowed to (a) walk off the court on his own and (b) return to the bench without a boot all seem to suggest good things.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, even if he misses just one game, that one game is one of the absolute toughest (possibly THE toughest) left on our schedule. And if he misses two games, that would be two of the three or four toughest games on the schedule. So, to say it was bad timing would be an understatement.

Still,ultimately these games aren't going to matter much come March. Provided we get everyone healthy, we'll be a #1 or #2 seed in the tournament. And as long as we're healthy and have at least 5-10 games together, we'll be fine. Those are "ifs", but I feel better about those "ifs" being "yesses" given the news.

I'm trying to look at this with a glass half full approach. It's definitely not great timing, but the additional minutes for Harry and Marques in these big road games could pay off down the road. Let's see if they are able to make some progress with their defensive positioning to avoid cheap foul calls. That seems to be the biggest issue for those two, aside from conditioning right now. Coach Capel seemed to really want to get Marques involved in the rotation last game, but Marques did not help himself out with all the ticky tack fouls.

The bottom line is, we can't afford to lose Amile. If that means taking the next 5 games off, then so be it. In the long run, these games are trivial compared to what's at stake in March. Given that it's the same foot that he had trouble with last year, I hope we don't bring him back until he's 100% past this.

CDu
01-09-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm trying to look at this with a glass half full approach. It's definitely not great timing, but the additional minutes for Harry and Marques in these big road games could pay off the in long run. Let's see if they are able to make some progress with their defensive positioning to avoid cheap foul calls. That seems to be the biggest issue for those two, aside from conditioning right now.

The bottom line is, we can't afford to lose Amile. If that means taking the next 5 games off, then so be it. In the long run, these games are trivial compared to what's at stake in March. Given that it's the same foot that he had trouble with last year, don't bring him back until he's 100% past this.

Yeah, HOPEFULLY Giles/Bolden/Jeter take this opportunity to really step up. If they do, and if/when Jefferson comes back fully healthy, we'll be even more lethal.

I feel like Giles is on the verge of breaking through.

Rich
01-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Pretty sure if Duke plays tonight it will be a blowout :rolleyes:

NYBri
01-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm going to Ozzie-out for a minute....

I think this will actually be a good thing for the team in that I predict that Harry will explode and that the team will embrace Amile's heart and play the best game of the year.

GO DUKE! 9F!

/ozzie

:cool:

cbarry
01-09-2017, 01:52 PM
You must have missed the evidence in his post. He clearly stated it was a gut feeling, the most scientific of all evidence.

Yes... Thank you. It's just a feeling... not what I WANT to happen. I am in the medical field, but have no more insight into Amile's condition than anyone else. It just seems like this year, more than any other I can remember in the past 30-35 years, the injury bug has bitten us hard! I had a really bad feeling when I saw Amile's injury on Saturday since it was the same foot as last year, and how took him to the locker room.

Really hoping for EVERYONE on our team to be healthy soon.... players, Coach....!!!

gam7
01-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Agree with this. I saw a bit of their last game (VT) and, physically, this is a team of men. We're not going to be pushing anyone around in this one.

Chicago 1995
01-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Or they don't. My wife got a bad bone bruise around Labor Day and was still in a boot the week before Christmas.

It might be a quick recovery, might not be.

Troublemaker
01-09-2017, 02:02 PM
The fact that they are unsure if he will miss Louisville tells me this may be a very short-term setback for Amile and we should have him back soon.

Perhaps, but it could be gamesmanship. Pitino and all the ACC coaches are on that teleconference call. If Pitino has to spend time preparing for Amile, that's a good thing, whether Duke is actually unsure or not.

billy
01-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Reasonable take/perspective. OTOH, ASSuming the sequence of x-rays Saturday and MRI Sunday, the radiologist/s review and confer (officially or unofficially) with one (or more) of the ortho/sports medicine MDs either by phone or a casual meet-up and discussion during rounds in the radiology department and conclude damaged ligaments (or fracture) but nothing urgent (despite what the folks on DBR and/or TDD think :p) so let's put the patient in a (dreaded) boot and on crutches and bring him in Monday/Tuesday for an exam and make some plans with the coaching/medical staff and then release some (ambiguous-cough: lower body/foot) medical/prognosis information.

What DD said pretty much represents what I've experienced and would expect to have happened.

"Bone bruise", unfortunately is too vague to draw much information from. Is it "edema" in the area he previously had a fracture in a season ago? Is it in the talar dome (ankle), one of the possible sequelae from an ankle sprain? Did he stub his toe? All of these are possible interpretations are reasonable given the words "bone bruise". Without further information on what bone is involved, where within the bone the bruise is located, was the bruise there in previous scans, prognosticating is VERY difficult. I'd put more credence on what the Chronicle article said (missing at least FSU game) than trying to divine from the limited information we have.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Looked like a heel to me. But time will tell, I guess. :)

Well, to a fake paper/class/grade, everything looks like/toward a heel. Or something like that. :o

Indoor66
01-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Well, to a fake paper/class/grade, everything looks like/toward a heel. Or something like that. :o

Take that up with Wheat. He is the unCheat shill. :mad::p:cool:

InSpades
01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
This is great news. I think Amile is the least replaceable guy on this team.

Without Amile... Tatum has to play a TON of time at the 4. I'm not sure we even have another true 4 on the roster. Jack White? Meanwhile we lose a lot of depth at 1 to 3 w/ basically 4 guys covering 120+ minutes there.

With Amile... Tatum can spend a lot more time at the 3. We need less than 40 minutes from Bolden/Giles/Jeter at the 5. Lots of roster flexibility (big lineups w/ Giles/Jefferson/Tatum, small lineups w/ Jefferson at the 5 and Tatum at the 4).

I'm sure Duke would find a way w/out Jefferson but I think we lose our potential to regain our "favorite" to win it all title that we had coming into the year.

Get well soon Amile!

wavedukefan70s
01-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Im sure he will be back soon.no worries guys.maybe a switch will cut on for one of our younger guys.

killerleft
01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

I hit the "unlock" button on my car this morning. The two little chirps that accompany that were very muted, kinda warbly. My gut feeling immediately said, "Uh-oh, battery's dead." Got in the car. Turned the key. Started right up! Gut feeling changed immediately. The chirper may be sick until the temperature warms up, however. Seven degrees this AM, sixty later this week.

SlapTheFloor
01-09-2017, 04:18 PM
If Duke manages to get to the Final Four after all this, I'm choosing the team doctor as the season's MVP.

plimnko
01-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Im sure he will be back soon.no worries guys.maybe a switch will cut on for one of our younger guys.

Bone bruise symptoms include:

Pain and/or tenderness in the affected area (typically pain after a day or two is indicative of bone bruises)
Swelling in the tissues around the impacted location
Changing in color on the surface skin
Joint pain near impact zone
Swelling of the joints around the bone
Extreme pain or pain that’s more severe than a typical bruise
Here are some more symptoms and facts on a bone bruise:

Swelling is the predominant symptom in bone bruising.
Joints swell with blood and fluid if the impacted bone area is close to the joint.
There does not need to be a visible bruise in order to have a bone bruise.
A bone bruise can only be seen on an MRI.
Avoid unnecessary activity and stress on the joint or bone. Use a brace if necessary. Reinjury is a real risk for those trying to do too much, too soon.
80 percent of those suffering knee injuries have had some level of bone bruising.
In one study, the median recovery time for patients who had a bone bruise was 42.1 weeks. (15) However, in a systematic review of MRIs, it was shown that recovery times vary greatly: 88 percent of patients had full recovery after 11–16 months in one study, while a 100 percent recovery rate in patients in another study was between five to 12 months. (16)
Most small bone bruises heal slowly in two to four months.

Billy Dat
01-09-2017, 04:26 PM
If Duke manages to get to the Final Four after all this, I'm choosing the team doctor as the season's MVP.

What a strange year...

We begin with experience over youth as 3 of our 4 star freshman are sidelined and the vets lead the way.

In a bizarre turn of events, the freshman all return and we lose 3 of our most experienced pieces...Grayson, Amile and Coach K!

Perhaps, come February, we'll be reunited for good? It boggles the mind.

curtis325
01-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Pain and/or tenderness in the affected area (typically pain after a day or two is indicative of bone bruises)

Joints swell with blood and fluid if the impacted bone area is close to the joint.
Avoid unnecessary activity and stress on the joint or bone. Use a brace if necessary. Reinjury is a real risk for those trying to do too much, too soon.
80 percent of those suffering knee injuries have had some level of bone bruising.
In one study, the median recovery time for patients who had a bone bruise was 42.1 weeks. (15) However, in a systematic review of MRIs, it was shown that recovery times vary greatly: 88 percent of patients had full recovery after 11–16 months in one study, while a 100 percent recovery rate in patients in another study was between five to 12 months. (16)

It's over.

Rich
01-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Meh, just tie those Nike's a bit tighter and play ball, young fella!

LasVegas
01-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Meh, just tie those Nike's a bit tighter and play ball, young fella!

So, if a symptom of bone bruise is swelling, why no ice during the game? Obviously they didn't know what it was at that time but wouldn't you put ice on just about any injury for precautionary reasons?

OldPhiKap
01-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Phhht. I've seen worse side potential effects for Cialis.

No problem, a little rest and he'll be as right as rain.

El_Diablo
01-09-2017, 06:10 PM
So, if a symptom of bone bruise is swelling, why no ice during the game? Obviously they didn't know what it was at that time but wouldn't you put ice on just about any injury for precautionary reasons?

Maybe they were icing it in the locker room (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off)?

FerryFor50
01-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Different kind of swelling, that.

coldriver10
01-09-2017, 06:20 PM
I presume this study is referring to "healing" in terms of whether or not there was still bone marrow edema on MRI? If so, this is different from what clinicians would consider "healing". Bones can retain signal abnormality long after fractures are felt to be healed clinically (and a bone bruise is basically fracture of/injury to the trabeculae without the cortical bone), so persistent bone marrow signal abnormality may or not have any clinical relevance. On the flip side, you can have pain that has no MR correlate.

In other words, if I'm interpreting what the study you quoted refers to correctly, I wouldn't worry too much about this timeline in Amile's case.

BandAlum83
01-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Update

This is the first I've read of reasons for Bolden and Javin:

8 games - Marques Bolden (sprained left ankle)
5 games (and counting) - Javin DeLaurier (sprained right ankle)

Steven43
01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Thank you for scaring the he** out of us.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-09-2017, 06:30 PM

I'll second that!!!!!
Love, Ima

sagegrouse
01-09-2017, 06:32 PM
I presume this study is referring to "healing" in terms of whether or not there was still bone marrow edema on MRI? If so, this is different from what clinicians would consider "healing". Bones can retain signal abnormality long after fractures are felt to be healed clinically (and a bone bruise is basically fracture of/injury to the trabeculae without the cortical bone), so persistent bone marrow signal abnormality may or not have any clinical relevance. On the flip side, you can have pain that has no MR correlate.

In other words, if I'm interpreting what the study you quoted refers to correctly, I wouldn't worry too much about this timeline in Amile's case.

I would go further and say that "on DBR my signal abnormality has no clinical relevance whatsoever."

coldriver10
01-09-2017, 06:41 PM
I would go further and say that "on DBR my signal abnormality has no clinical relevance whatsoever."
Clinical correlation is recommended.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Wait, lemme guess: You heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...

FerryFor50
01-09-2017, 07:00 PM

What happens when you have a bone bruise that lasts longer than 3 hours?

Indoor66
01-09-2017, 07:01 PM

You get a thread on DBR? :confused:

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Hey, let's leave REO Speedwagon out of this.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Your partner calls...

Never mind. I like Indoor's answer much better. :o

devildeac
01-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Hey, let's leave REO Speedwagon out of this.

1. Nice pick-up.

2. Wrong thread. Should have been here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38782-Favorite-All-Time-Great-Rock-Songs

:o

jipops
01-09-2017, 07:19 PM
I'm off the ledge now. Phew. I'm very much taking this tidbit of an update as positive news. We may see 2 losses coming up but at least we'll have a week off after Louisville.

It's also good to hear that Chase and Javin will be back healthy for FSU. I don't expect them to provide much if any impact at all but some possible minutes couldn't hurt.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 07:36 PM
I'm off the ledge now. Phew. I'm very much taking this tidbit of an update as positive news. We may see 2 losses coming up but at least we'll have a week off after Louisville.

It's also good to hear that Chase and Javin will be back healthy for FSU. I don't expect them to provide much if any impact at all but some possible minutes couldn't hurt.

Plus, an additional/potential 10 more fouls we could accumulate:rolleyes:. Think I'm kidding?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20060301

Stray might remember that one. :mad:

jipops
01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
[/B]

Plus, an additional/potential 10 more fouls we could accumulate:rolleyes:. Think I'm kidding?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20060301

Stray might remember that one. :mad:

There was also this one

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20050212

Check out how many guys fouled out.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2017, 07:57 PM

I only quote myself to say that Brevity sent me a message I cannot repeat, but is the funniest darn thing I have seen in a long time. Someone spork him on principle, please!

devildeac
01-09-2017, 08:02 PM
There was also this one

Watched that one, too. And, of course, Ewing got a T.

I remember JJ finishing the game with Nelson, Perkins, Davidson and Johnson. :mad:

Then there was that game at Wake when we had 4-5 guys foul out, too.

Must stop. This is getting painful.

BD80
01-09-2017, 08:10 PM

I only quote myself to say that Brevity sent me a message I cannot repeat, but is the funniest darn thing I have seen in a long time. Someone spork him on principle, please!

Yo! You with the Cialis. Do you own sporking!

I'm saving myself for something special. I can't spork as indiscriminately as I used to.

Tom B.
01-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Then there was that game at Wake when we had 4-5 guys foul out, too.

This one: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20030213

Another painful one at Wake (complete with obligatory T on Ewing): http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20050202

devildeac
01-09-2017, 09:39 PM
This one: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20030213

Another painful one at Wake (complete with obligatory T on Ewing): http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20050202

IIRC, the 2nd game linked is the one where Chris Paul tried to shove Daniel Ewing's head through the hardwood near mid-court during a loose ball "scrum" and Ewing pushed him off in what looked like self-defense/protection and still got T'ed up for it. :mad:

tteettimes
01-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Jeff Gravely just reported that Amile will NOT PLAY tomorrow night 😡😡😡😡😡

OldPhiKap
01-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Jeff Gravely just reported that Amile will NOT PLAY tomorrow night ����������

I think that was expected. Whether he will play this weekend is up in the air right now though.

If he misses only one game, well -- he is ahead of the pack this year unfortunately.

devildeac
01-09-2017, 10:41 PM
I think that was expected. Whether he will play this weekend is up in the air right now though.

If he misses only one game, well -- he is ahead of the pack this year unfortunately.

After Sunday's @##%show, there are a lot of local YMCA teams that might be categorized as such :rolleyes: .

Tom B.
01-09-2017, 10:48 PM
IIRC, the 2nd game linked is the one where Chris Paul tried to shove Daniel Ewing's head through the hardwood near mid-court during a loose ball "scrum" and Ewing pushed him off in what looked like self-defense/protection and still got T'ed up for it. :mad:

Yep, that was it. Actually, I think the official called a double-technical on Paul and Ewing -- but yeah, Paul was the instigator and Ewing reacted in self-defense.

BandAlum83
01-10-2017, 01:09 AM
There was also this one

Wow, between those two games, how can anyone say Duke gets all the calls????

Doria
01-10-2017, 01:14 AM
Wow, between those two games, how can anyone say Duke gets all the calls????

Well, I suppose you could technically say we got the calls on us?

rocketeli
01-10-2017, 08:12 AM

"bone bruise" unfortunately is a very misleading term and I think some posters are thinking "it's just a bruise, he won't miss much time." Of course, with Duke, who (besides the bball staff and their medical staff) knows what's really going on. However a "bone bruise" is really a FRACTURE of the inner part of the bone--and it takes A LOT LONGER to heal than an outer layer fracture--typically several months. If Jefferson actually has a bone bruise, and it is treated correctly, he is done for the year

devil84
01-10-2017, 08:42 AM
I went back and re-read this whole thread this morning. Fully one third of the posts in this thread are far off-topic, and even more are off-topic but at least they are basketball-related.

At two separate points in the thread, there is a poster requesting a return to the topic. This makes the third. Please keep this on Amile's injury.

People are looking at this thread to find out about Amile's injury. Amile, our outstanding 5th year senior who sat out most of last year due to an injury, is extremely important to this team. Amile deserves better than this.

billy
01-10-2017, 08:52 AM
"bone bruise" unfortunately is a very misleading term and I think some posters are thinking "it's just a bruise, he won't miss much time." Of course, with Duke, who (besides the bball staff and their medical staff) knows what's really going on. However a "bone bruise" is really a FRACTURE of the inner part of the bone--and it takes A LOT LONGER to heal than an outer layer fracture--typically several months. If Jefferson actually has a bone bruise, and it is treated correctly, he is done for the year

Completely disagree. As coldriver10, who I assume just finished his radiology residency by his tag line, said, it's all about the clinical correlation. I.e., the rest of the information that we don't have to base our suppositions on.

I'll agree that "bone bruise" is an overused, not very descriptive term in MRI interpretations. Maybe the bruised bone is the distal phalanx of the 4th toe, but there's no cortical incontinuity. And his pain is on his ankle (speaking purely hypothetically). No one in ortho with a sports medicine and foot and ankle practice, like Dr. Amendola, would keep a player off that injury. On the other hand, maybe there's massive bruising of the entire talar dome in which case I'd imagine the player would be out at least a couple of months.

All we have to go on is that 1) he had a MRI and there was a bone bruise (location undisclosed) , and 2) AJ will miss the FSU game. That's it. Without further information I don't believe you can infer anything.

devildeac
01-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Clinical correlation is recommended.

Completely disagree. As coldriver10, who I assume just finished his radiology residency by his tag line, said, it's all about the clinical correlation. I.e., the rest of the information that we don't have to base our suppositions on.

I'll agree that "bone bruise" is an overused, not very descriptive term in MRI interpretations. Maybe the bruised bone is the distal phalanx of the 4th toe, but there's no cortical incontinuity. And his pain is on his ankle (speaking purely hypothetically). No one in ortho with a sports medicine and foot and ankle practice, like Dr. Amendola, would keep a player off that injury. On the other hand, maybe there's massive bruising of the entire talar dome in which case I'd imagine the player would be out at least a couple of months.

All we have to go on is that 1) he had a MRI and there was a bone bruise (location undisclosed) , and 2) AJ will miss the FSU game. That's it. Without further information I don't believe you can infer anything.

Good pick-up. I think the "clinical correlation is recommended" is the key phrase. :rolleyes:;)

hallcity
01-10-2017, 09:42 AM
For what it's worth, which may not be much since we don't know exactly what bone or bones are bruised:

A bone bruise in the ankle (in the lower part of tibia or/and in the talus bone) can occur after an ankle sprain (supination injury after landing on an outward rolled foot with the outer edge of the foot bearing weight). Pain after an ankle sprain usually ceases after 4-6 weeks; the presence of the bone bruise usually does not add to pain and does not prolong the recovery time, which is about 3 months.
http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/bruised-bone

Troublemaker
01-10-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanks, billy, and other medical experts for posting your thoughts.

According to the Coach Capel, Amile will be re-evaluated tomorrow. Any thoughts on what that might entail? A check on the pace of healing?

billy
01-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Thanks, billy, and other medical experts for posting your thoughts.

According to the Coach Capel, Amile will be re-evaluated tomorrow. Any thoughts on what that might entail? A check on the pace of healing?

That's the clinical correlation part - essentially how it feels (to Amile), if there are any abnormalities upon examining the foot/ankle, and, most importantly, how he's moving (including walking, running, cutting etc. if the symptoms and exam allow for those activities). No reason to get another MRI for quite a while (at least weeks) since the findings on the scan wouldn't change much in the interim. Again, I'm speaking in generalities since I honestly have no idea what the scan showed.

coldriver10
01-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Yep. Well, technically, finished residency in 2015, completed musculoskeletal radiology fellowship in 2016 (Duke's program is a combined 5 year program so that's what I was referring to in my signature, which I wrote several years ago but subsequently forgot about since I rarely post :P).

coldriver10
01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Good pick-up. I think the "clinical correlation is recommended" is the key phrase. :rolleyes:;)
You know it. I say that phrase with a sarcasm I assume only fellow radiologists and clinicians can truly appreciate :)

UrinalCake
01-10-2017, 10:45 AM
So basically he has an unspecified lower leg injury...

richardjackson199
01-10-2017, 10:46 AM
So basically he has an unspecified lower leg injury...

And is out indefinitely
with no timetable for his return

Skitzle
01-10-2017, 10:59 AM
And is out indefinitely
with no timetable for his return

I mean its an somewhat specified foot injury which is - by definition - more specific then an unspecified lower leg injury...

But the out indefinitely and no timetable are true.

Have we gotten used to these yet?

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Mason Plumlee (Or did he just have wrist issues?)
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

Anyone else in the past 10 years?

Ichabod Drain
01-10-2017, 11:05 AM
I mean its an somewhat specified foot injury which is - by definition - more specific then an unspecified lower leg injury...

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

Ryan Kelly

English
01-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson x2

From this year alone, you can add Javin the Javelin to that list--unless everyone knew he had a sprained ankle except me.

billy
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Ryan Kelly

Paulus

Ichabod Drain
01-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Not that it's a surprise or anything but on Duke's IG account a video of players walking into FSU's arena was just posted and Amile is in a boot.

El_Diablo
01-10-2017, 11:41 AM
You know it. I say that phrase with a sarcasm I assume only fellow radiologists and clinicians can truly appreciate :)

Sarcasm is a nice break from the typical radiology humor, which is often X-rated.

Not that it's a surprise or anything but on Duke's IG account a video of players walking into FSU's arena was just posted and Amile is in a boot.

Is that the dukembb account? I do not see that video posted there....

uh_no
01-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

kyrie

Ichabod Drain
01-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Sarcasm is a nice break from the typical radiology humor, which is often X-rated.

Is that the dukembb account? I do not see that video posted there...

Yea, on Instagram. Its a "story" video or whatever its called. So it's not actually a posted video to their account but its up for a period time at the top of your feed. They're posting a lot of short clips of shoot-around right now.

Chase seems to be ready to go.

SupaDave
01-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

DeMarcus Nelson

NYBri
01-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

Wasn't Grayson's a leg injury?

Furniture
01-10-2017, 12:23 PM

I was about to ask if we would see him in a boot or not tonight. :-(

MChambers
01-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

Marshall. I don't remember Miles having a foot injury.

Tom B.
01-10-2017, 12:36 PM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

If you want to go back a little farther in time, you can add Carlos Boozer and Elton Brand. Go back even farther and you get Trajan Langdon.

wilson
01-10-2017, 12:41 PM
If you want to go back a little farther in time, you can add Carlos Boozer and Elton Brand. Go back even farther and you get Trajan Langdon....and then Grant Hill.
Sigh.

CDu
01-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

The older two Plumlees should come off the list and the youngest should go on it. Mason missed his time with a wrist injury. I don't think Miles missed any time due to injury at Duke.

But, as others have noted, Ryan Kelly and DeMarcus Nelson should be on the list.

BD80
01-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Sarcasm is a nice break from the typical radiology humor, which is often X-rated. ...

Oh Bravo! I gauss that is the most humerus pun I've seen on these boards. Struck a nerve with me.

mr. synellinden
01-10-2017, 01:57 PM
...and then Grant Hill.
Sigh.

And Bobby Hurley.

nocilla
01-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Who am I missing?
Zoubek
Kyrie
Miles Plumlee
Bolden
Giles
Tatum
Jefferson

Seth Curry