PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs BC (1/7, 2:00pm, ACCN/RSN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Troublemaker
01-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts in this thread.

The start of the Jeff Capel mini-era.

HateCarolina
01-06-2017, 07:38 AM
A win for Capel in his first "head" coaching gig of this season and would really, really like to see Marquis Bolden have a breakout game. I feel like Frank, Jayson, and Harry have all started to come in to their own so here's to cheering on Marquis for the same!!

Oh yeah...GTHC GTHC!!

Troublemaker
01-06-2017, 07:45 AM
I'll be rooting hard for BC to play man-to-man defense. We need to practice against it with our new rotation.

Re: GaTech, it was certainly nice just to have any kind of offensive explosion and to play a great game, but the Yellow Jackets are one of only two ACC teams who play zone almost exclusively. So, while we did great with our preparation for GaTech and our zone offense was outstanding (unlike how UNC performed against that zone, which has troubled a lot of teams this year, but not Duke, suck it Heels), that doesn't do much for us in preparation for the upcoming schedule.

BC is capable of zoning but I can't imagine Jim Christian the BC coach would watch that game tape and decide to zone Duke. I expect to see lots of m2m.

Troublemaker
01-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Here's a possession from GaTech in which the Yellow Jackets mix it up and play m2m. So Duke runs one of our two primary m2m sets, Horns.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UncommonUglyCivet-size_restricted.gif

Keeping in mind we probably spent most of the practice time between VaTech and GaTech working on defense and zone offense and NOT our m2m offensive sets, Jayson completely does not know what he's supposed to do here. When Amile catches the entry at the elbow, Jayson as the weakside wing is supposed to use Marques' off-ball screen to sprint towards Amile for the handoff; Marques' screen would provide Jayson with separation from his defender, and Amile would read the play and either continue with the handoff or pull the ball and drive the opposing big if the big is overplaying the handoff. Here, Amile only has the option to drive because Jayson doesn't go through with the action at all. Jayson just sort of shoves his defender into the lane (clogging it up, mind you) and prepares to offensive rebound.

So, yeah, we need practice on m2m offense with the new rotation. Previously, when Harry/Marques were still out with injuries or just beginning their integration, Jayson mostly played the 4 and would be one of the bigs catching at the elbow in Horns. Now, Jayson needs to learn what he needs to do as a wing in Horns.

(Note: I LOVE Jayson Tatum's game, especially his defensive potential. If it seems like I'm picking on him recently in GIFs, I'm not.)

Troublemaker
01-06-2017, 08:49 AM
On that play, Grayson is the PG and he makes the entry pass to the elbow and then runs to the corner. Which is interesting, because for two seasons now, he's been killing college basketball as the wing receiving the handoff in Horns. Horns is really Grayson's set, much like how Floppy has become Luke's set with his curls into the lane. As we continue to integrate the freshmen into our sets, I would expect that eventually Grayson will return to being the wing in Horns. That means eventually Jayson will be up top making the entry pass (or perhaps it'll be Amile up top and Jayson at the elbow). I'm not sure Jayson is a handoff type of player (but we'll find out). I think he would prefer to receive the ball by posting at the elbow with a man on his back.

UrinalCake
01-06-2017, 08:57 AM
They're calling for 8-12 inches of snow in the Triangle. The undergrads should mostly be back (thanks goodness, these holiday games just aren't the same) but a lot of folks may not be able to make it to the stadium. If you're in the area, it'd be a good game to come by and see if you can pick up tickets.

TKG
01-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Would like to see our D tighten up, in particular our rotation and help side D. I know much of that improvement will be the result of better communication with and from the freshmen. It is a area of development for us and one we will need quickly with FSU and Louisville next week.

flyingdutchdevil
01-06-2017, 09:11 AM
A win for Capel in his first "head" coaching gig of this season and would really, really like to see Marquis Bolden have a breakout game. I feel like Frank, Jayson, and Harry have all started to come in to their own so here's to cheering on Marquis for the same!!

Oh yeah...GTHC GTHC!!

I mean, this is pretty much a guarantee. Any other team in the ACC - including GT - and I'd have some reservations. But BC hasn't won an ACC game since March 10, 2015. And they are a) the worst ACC on KenPom by 31 spots (GT is 141; BC is 172), b) we're at home, and c) Harry Giles is gaining confidence and Grayson Allen is our full-time PG.

Ichabod Drain
01-06-2017, 09:14 AM
I mean, this is pretty much a guarantee. Any other team in the ACC - including GT - and I'd have some reservations. But BC hasn't won an ACC game since March 10, 2015. And they are a) the worst ACC on KenPom by 31 spots (GT is 141; BC is 172), b) we're at home, and c) Harry Giles is gaining confidence and Grayson Allen is our full-time PG.

Syracuse fans will be relieved.

flyingdutchdevil
01-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Syracuse fans will be relieved.

Hahahaha. I had no idea! I automatically suspected that they had a losing record this year! Holy cow, the Cuse is really mediocre this year, huh?

OldPhiKap
01-06-2017, 09:18 AM
Hahahaha. I had no idea! I automatically suspected that they had a losing record this year! Holy cow, the Cuse is really mediocre this year, huh?

I think you're being kind to Syracuse.

UrinalCake
01-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Syracuse is bad but I think BC is also better than they were last year

OldPhiKap
01-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Agreed, I think BC is an improving program. And they will give us their best shot.

All conference wins are earned wins, no gimmies. And we've seen what happens when our team thinks we can just roll the ball out there and play one-on-one ball. I don't expect that by any means, but I don't discount it either.

Ichabod Drain
01-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Yes they are. They have a really good young backcourt duo of freshman Ky Bowman and sophomore Jerome Robinson. Should be something to build around the next couple years.

uh_no
01-06-2017, 09:55 AM
They're calling for 8-12 inches of snow in the Triangle. The undergrads should mostly be back (thanks goodness, these holiday games just aren't the same) but a lot of folks may not be able to make it to the stadium. If you're in the area, it'd be a good game to come by and see if you can pick up tickets.

Not yet. Semester starts on wednesday. Most will be trickling in after the weekend. Given the weather forecast, a student would need to have a flight arriving friday afternoon to get in before the game (probably), and that's too early for most.

Further, tenting hasn't started yet, so students have no incentive to get back early:

http://assets.contentful.com/esz7g0vcdbew/1ftmRSpQnMkSgK6CQQ8Mm4/f4ab078d99fd439ca6377ab574347189/Policy2016-2017.pdf

and starting early nets you no benefit like it has in years past.

jv001
01-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Would like to see our D tighten up, in particular our rotation and help side D. I know much of that improvement will be the result of better communication with and from the freshmen. It is a area of development for us and one we will need quickly with FSU and Louisville next week.

I agree with you on better communication. It was much better in the GT game and that tells me they have been working on it in practice. One other thing they need to improve on is getting back on D. Looking forward to seeing this team improve as the season progresses. GoDuke!

Hingeknocker
01-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Good article with quotes from Capel about Allen's return to the lineup.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article124793709.html

Boston College is not good, so hopefully the team can continue the positive vibes from the GT game. Given that we're still somewhere in October or November mode, to use Coach K's words, these two games against the worst teams in the ACC are coming at an opportune time. I'm hopeful that we can raise the N to 2 on games where we have our full complement of players, and Allen is the fulcrum of the offense that he showed he can be against GT.

gofurman
01-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Here's a possession from GaTech in which the Yellow Jackets mix it up and play m2m. So Duke runs one of our two primary m2m sets, Horns.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UncommonUglyCivet-size_restricted.gif

Keeping in mind we probably spent most of the practice time between VaTech and GaTech working on defense and zone offense and NOT our m2m offensive sets, Jayson completely does not know what he's supposed to do here. When Amile catches the entry at the elbow, Jayson as the weakside wing is supposed to use Marques' off-ball screen to sprint towards Amile for the handoff; Marques' screen would provide Jayson with separation from his defender, and Amile would read the play and either continue with the handoff or pull the ball and drive the opposing big if the big is overplaying the handoff. Here, Amile only has the option to drive because Jayson doesn't go through with the action at all. Jayson just sort of shoves his defender into the lane (clogging it up, mind you) and prepares to offensive rebound.

So, yeah, we need practice on m2m offense with the new rotation. Previously, when Harry/Marques were still out with injuries or just beginning their integration, Jayson mostly played the 4 and would be one of the bigs catching at the elbow in Horns. Now, Jayson needs to learn what he needs to do as a wing in Horns.

(Note: I LOVE Jayson Tatum's game, especially his defensive potential. If it seems like I'm picking on him recently in GIFs, I'm not.)

Really appreciate that video file (GIF?). Very helpful!!! I didn't catch that during the game. Every misstep like that costs a point or two ... Got bailed w a foul on that Just luck. Five or ten bad rotations like that will kill you in a tough game. All those horrid D rotations and not getting back at all in VTech. Have to keep improving !

Not much talk about BC. How quickly we get complacent. We got the crap beat out of us by a VT team that got whooped by NC State. ACC is v tough this year. Crazy tough.

Tough we have FSU on a Tuesday next.

CDu
01-06-2017, 10:06 PM
This BC team has lost to Hartford, Fairfield, Nicholls St, and Richmond. They are 8-7 on the year, and that isn't because they played a tough non-con schedule (#293 in SOS per Pomeroy). They lost their only road game all year, a blowout to Wake. If this game is at all close, it will be due to complacency on our part. I said Tech was bad. Well, BC is far worse.

In terms of weapons, the Eagles rely primarily on 3 perimeter underclassmen: a pair of 6'7" sophomores Robinsons and Turner, and a 6'1" freshman Bowman. The three share the shooting, scoring, and playmaking burden. All three can shoot (the lowest 3pt% among them is 39.7%), and all the can pass (averaging 2.5 to 4.1 assists). Robinson is by far the leading scorer, but Turner and Bowman can score too. Behind them are a decent shooting 6'5" wing in Chatman, a 6'0" pg Graves, and a senior defender Owens.

Where the Eagles really suffer though is inside. The center spot is manned by a trio of guys: a 6'9", 240lb rugged-but-unskilled senior Jeffers; a 6'11", 245lb frosh with a nose for scoring (6.8 ppg in 14.2 mpg) but also a nose for fouling 2.6 fouls in those 14.2 mpg) in Popovic; and a string bean 6'10" frosh with some shotblocking skills but little else. That trio averages 12 points, 10 rebounds, and 5.7 fouls per 37.3 minutes.

At PF they play a fire hydrant (6'6" 240) Tava primarily, with Owens and Robinson getting time as stretch 4s behind Tava. Tava is basically a shorter Jeffers: gets some rebounds but isn't a scorer.

BC plays a pretty fast pace, but is VERY inefficient on offense for a D1 program. They make up for that abysmal offense with a defense that is way below average for a Power-5 school.

If we miss shots and don't get back, BC could get some cheap buckets. But again, unless we really don't show up BC isn't good enough to threaten us.

Hopefully we come out and play with intensity and focus. If we do, Jack White and Vrankovic should see some minutes.

superdave
01-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Two things I will be looking out for today are offensive flow and help-side rotation on defense. Both tell you a lot about how the team is practicing and "getting it".

On offense, GT was the first game was Grayson was the dominant ball-handler. He's more dynamic and less mechanical at running the offense than Matt has been. I think that is a big plus, and raises our ceiling as a team somewhat. But he's also unproven in the PG role. So can he distribute well, look for his shot less and keep the flow of the offense going? Or will he shoot too early in the shot clock or put his head down and drive too often? I think he gets it mentally, and also is more team-focused given his suspension. I do worry what his bad habits will be in the PG role. But I like it and would love to see him have a Scheyer type season as a scoring point.

We played a lot of 1-on-1 ball vs VT. It was ugly. I really would like to see that go away. It starts at point and is probably a trap Frank and Jayson could slip into easily. Let's hope both of those guys stay away from hero ball and long, contested 2's.

On defense, we have looked good when generating steals and on the defensive boards. We have looked awful stopping dribble penetration. When someone gets beat by the dribbler, help has not come quickly. I think that's a sign of a team without many reps together, and the sign of a young team. It needs to be addressed. We dont have a true point, so stopping the ball may be an issue. I would love to see Jayson guard the PG position at times with his quickness and length. That could be really disruptive.

Most of all I want to see good habits on both ends out there today.

BandAlum83
01-07-2017, 09:26 AM
What's the weather situation in the triangle? Will there definitely be a game?

uh_no
01-07-2017, 10:24 AM
What's the weather situation in the triangle? Will there definitely be a game?

whopping 1-2"....maybe another .5-1" by game time. i'll probably try to make the trek over...assuming I can get up the hill from my house

Ultrarunner
01-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Two things I will be looking out for today are offensive flow and help-side rotation on defense. Both tell you a lot about how the team is practicing and "getting it".

On offense, GT was the first game was Grayson was the dominant ball-handler. He's more dynamic and less mechanical at running the offense than Matt has been. I think that is a big plus, and raises our ceiling as a team somewhat. But he's also unproven in the PG role. So can he distribute well, look for his shot less and keep the flow of the offense going? Or will he shoot too early in the shot clock or put his head down and drive too often? I think he gets it mentally, and also is more team-focused given his suspension. I do worry what his bad habits will be in the PG role. But I like it and would love to see him have a Scheyer type season as a scoring point.

Most of all I want to see good habits on both ends out there today.

Grayson at the point is an interesting project. I think that his best games this season, whether he was scoring well or not, came as the primary distributor. I also think that he has been slow to give up the scorer mindset. At the beginning of the season, we had far less potential firepower. With Tatum and Giles stepping into the line-up, the pressure to score drops as those two settle in. I expect us to go back up to the lofty heights we were at in a very short order.

The other interesting part about playing point is that it's difficult to mug the primary ball-handler. When Grayson drives to the hoop constantly, he's open to get clobbered on the way and get a no call from the refs. As the pg, when he drives and dishes more often, it's hard to make the case that hitting him on entry to the key doesn't affect the play or that he was shopping for a shooting foul. As a distributor, he's shown pretty good court vision and a knack for making some nice passes especially under the basket. He'll learn not to dish to Matt at inopportune times in short order.

And that leads me to the speculative part of him at the point. Does it settle him down when he's not attack mode? When I was younger and played team sports, I fed off the energy of contact. Ate it up, channeled it, dished it back double. Does Grayson? And will being a facilitator bring him down just a fraction of a notch so he's playing high-level impassioned basketball without boiling over?

If it does, we haven't seen anything yet compared to what the offense will eventually be.

Ultrarunner
01-07-2017, 10:32 AM
whopping 1-2"...maybe another .5-1" by game time. i'll probably try to make the trek over...assuming I can get up the hill from my house

davekay1971
01-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Reason number 58,726 why I'm so happy to live in the South. Because my January evening is frequently strolling out onto the back deck in jeans and a t-shirt to fire up the grill in 45 degree weather. Enjoy grilling in your igloos, Cheese-heads! :cool:

Olympic Fan
01-07-2017, 11:16 AM
whopping 1-2"...maybe another .5-1" by game time. i'll probably try to make the trek over...assuming I can get up the hill from my house

Yeah, the heavy stuff missed us - it hit just a bit north of Durham (I heard Roxboro got nine inches).

That's not to say that 1-2 inches (with some sleet mixed in) won't cause major problems on the Durham roads.

But it's not the snowpocalypse that was predicted. If BC got in Friday night (and I'm sure they did -- we got nothing until almost midnight), then the game will get played.

Indoor66
01-07-2017, 11:57 AM
You are aware of the Bahama snow line north of Durham?

alteran
01-07-2017, 12:05 PM
You are aware of the Bahama snow line north of Durham?

That is the weirdest thing ever. I've experienced it a half dozen times.

Furniture
01-07-2017, 12:33 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7049&stc=1

Furniture
01-07-2017, 12:36 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/817517530814279681/video/1

Ultrarunner
01-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Reason number 58,726 why I'm so happy to live in the South. Because my January evening is frequently strolling out onto the back deck in jeans and a t-shirt to fire up the grill in 45 degree weather. Enjoy grilling in your igloos, Cheese-heads! :cool:

I live in a banana belt - normally it isn't too cold and very little snow due to the desert environment. The current snow and artic temps are decidedly unwelcome. Normally it's light jacket weather, not parkas and mukluks.

uh_no
01-07-2017, 01:04 PM
javin and chase both dressed

-jk
01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Devilwin
01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Seven here in Thomasville..

Bob Green
01-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Today's starters are: Jefferson, Giles, Tatum, Kennard and Allen per the Twitterverse.

BandAlum83
01-07-2017, 01:39 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7049&stc=1

Beautiful! Thank you for that. It's been way too long since I've been on campus

riverside6
01-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Boston College, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/boston-college-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-01072017

DU82
01-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Downstairs mostly full other than the reserved seats behind the bench. Upstairs maybe a fourth full.

(And Mrs. - jk and son here safely.)

arnie
01-07-2017, 02:17 PM
A ragged start, but unusual treat to hear announcers discuss the actual game. I've always thought Bonner was one of the best and would much rather watch FSS than ESucksPN coverage.

wsb3
01-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Fox Sports South images are distorted here at Carolina Beach. I have gone old school & listening over internet to Bob Harris. I am returned to my youth. People were posting about that win over Virginia in 65. I was not at the game being eight years old but I did listen to it on the radio. Go Duke

Skydog
01-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Interesting Giles in for 3 minutes then Bolden replaces him for next 7+ minutes? Not getting back on defense?

jipops
01-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Here comes another vigil. Sigh...

jbay201
01-07-2017, 02:51 PM
anyword on amile?

jipops
01-07-2017, 02:54 PM
anyword on amile?

The fact that he never came out of the locker room is very discouraging. Don't think it was just a cramp.

CDu
01-07-2017, 02:56 PM
The fact that he never came out of the locker room is very discouraging. Don't think it was just a cramp.

Yup. I fear it is the foot. Hope I am wrong. But I don't feel good about it.

duke96
01-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Anyone figure out how to stream this online?

jbay201
01-07-2017, 02:57 PM
it looked like he was grabbing his hamstring

fuse
01-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Grayson with 9 assists at half.

Hurley has the single game record of 16.

Wonder if Grayson has a shot at claiming the record.

Giles has really quick hands.
His "lucky" basket getting fouled was fun to watch.

richardjackson199

I hope you're wrong too. And I think you are wrong. No clue - but he did not look like he was grabbing his foot, and it didn't look like a broken foot injury. I thought he was grabbing his calf. I'm bettting on a "lower leg injury" (and hopefully a very, very mild nonexistant one).

CDu

He was grabbing a lot lower and wasn't putting weight on his foot. That isn't a sign of a hamstring injury.

SCMatt33

It looked lower than hamstring on the replay. When they showed him on the bench, it was tough to read his face, but the trainer was definitely working on his lower leg somewhere. Whether it's foot, ankle, high ankle, etc. is really anyone's guess.

jipops

*table flip*. This could be so awful in so many ways. Amile cannot go out like this. Nobody has worked harder these last few months. And the implications for the team are devastating. I hope I'm just making the wrong assumption here.

CDu
01-07-2017, 03:01 PM
I hope you're wrong too. And I think you are wrong. No clue - but he did not look like he was grabbing his foot, and it didn't look like a broken foot injury. I thought he was grabbing his calf.

Like I said, I sure hope I am wrong. We will see.

FerryFor50
01-07-2017, 03:03 PM
He was grabbing a lot lower and wasn't putting weight on his foot. That isn't a sign of a hamstring injury.

Plus they took his shoe off his right foot. Which was the same foot he broke last season.

And the play where he got hurt, it looked like an impact injury. Hope it's not serious.

ricks68
01-07-2017, 03:04 PM

Uh, no. That's not the location of the hamstring.

ricks

CDu
01-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Plus they took his shoe off his right foot. Which was the same foot he broke last season.

And the play where he got hurt, it looked like an impact injury. Hope it's not serious.

Yeah all evidence seems to suggests foot or ankle. I just hope it isn't serious. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that it is a reinjury of the foot.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Anyone having Direct TV probs?

FerryFor50
01-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Yeah all evidence seems to suggests foot or ankle. I just hope it isn't serious. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that it is a reinjury of the foot.

The only solace I can take is that Amile's face didn't look like he was in serious pain or overly upset. But it could have been one of those "seriously???" faces.

jipops
01-07-2017, 03:08 PM
He didn't come back for warmups. Assume it's bad.

Ggallagher
01-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Anyone having Direct TV probs?

I'm unable to get the game on line. I'm getting a "0066-No account returned from UPDA" error. I Googled that but didn't find any useful help.
Rats!

DukeWarhead
01-07-2017, 03:10 PM
C'mon, how about a little possitivity. He's fine. (if I wish it hard enough, it will be true, like clapping for tinker bell.)

Troublemaker
Radio says Amile is out for the game with a "right foot injury."

No details.

SCMatt33
The only solace I can take is that Amile's face didn't look like he was in serious pain or overly upset. But it could have been one of those "seriously???" faces.

Agree. It wasn't "I've felt this before, this is the same as last year" but also could have been a poker face.

CDu
01-07-2017, 03:13 PM
The only positive is he wasn't helped off the court. But was not putting significant weight at all.

arnie
01-07-2017, 03:15 PM
The only positive is he wasn't helped off the court. But was not putting significant weight at all.

And FSS agrees - same foot he hurt last year

SCMatt33
01-07-2017, 03:21 PM
And FSS agrees - same foot he hurt last year

Maybe the docs could weigh in, but I had always been told that it's really tough to break bones in the same spot once they fully heal, but I'm sure there's a lot more nuance to it than that. Point is, is it really significant that it's the same foot? If it's not an exact reinjury, it doesn't really mean much to be on the same foot or other foot. The problem with feet is there's almost no injury that heals fast. Tatum just had a sprain and missed six weeks.

Coballs
01-07-2017, 03:24 PM
What was Amile's specific injury last season? Was it a fracture and, if so, which bone was fractured?

jipops
01-07-2017, 03:25 PM
The offense has stalled. We don't even look like the same team as the 1st half. And we're not. Defense really letting up too.

Edit: nvrmind...Harry getting it going

SCMatt33
01-07-2017, 03:28 PM
What was Amile's specific injury last season? Was it a fracture and, if so, which bone was fractured?

It was indeed a fracture. Someone can correct me, but iirc, they never announced the specific bone.

kmspeaks
01-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Wonder how many games Jay and Seth will want Grayson suspended for chucking the ball at an opponent who wasn't looking. I mean come on, the guy might have a red mark on his rear end for 20 seconds after that vicious attack.

jipops
01-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Woohoo!!! Amile sitting on the bench, foot not wrapped. That's a good sign. Just keep him out.

On the flip side, our D in the 2nd has been almost non-existent. Obviously Amile's absence has a lot to do with that.

BC going to score 50 this half.

downeastdad
01-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Way too many BC drives for uncontested layups. No help from the big guys. Fortunately, Amile looks good.

YmoBeThere
01-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Marques has still not caught up to the speed of the game. He's still thinking too much. But he can hit free throws.

jipops
01-07-2017, 03:42 PM
This game isn't over folks. We're blowing this. What a dreadful 2nd half.

No stops. None

accfanfrom1970
01-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Horrible defense and terrible shot selection, especially by jones. Jackson too. Getting beat back and back doored.

CDu
01-07-2017, 03:44 PM
I hope you're wrong too. And I think you are wrong. No clue - but he did not look like he was grabbing his foot, and it didn't look like a broken foot injury. I thought he was grabbing his calf. I'm bettting on a "lower leg injury" (and hopefully a very, very mild nonexistant one).

Bad news is it was foot. Good is hopefully not serious.

jipops
01-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Wow. This is a total choke. The defense is gone. We have to score, nothing we can do to get stops.

Karl Beem
01-07-2017, 03:45 PM
This is your Amile-less team. No hope.

YmoBeThere
01-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Finally, he took a timeout. I was beginning to think he was going to redeem the unused ones at the same Starbuck's ole Roy uses.

MrPoon
01-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Let's burn that speech. This half is very poor. Looks tired. Anyone know where Luke is?

Eternal Outlaw
01-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Doesn't help the D that every big man has been hit with a ton of fouls so they can't be aggressive

downeastdad
01-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Come on - the sky hasn't fallen quite yet.

ricks68
01-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Without Amile we are defenseless.

ricks

YmoBeThere
01-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Come on - the sky hasn't fallen quite yet.

Yes, it is still a 4 possession lead.

SCMatt33
01-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Bad news is it was foot. Good is hopefully not serious.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm going to now wait for official word from Duke that it was a foot. Not saying it isn't, but they never said that anyone from Duke said it was his foot and I'm thinking it's possible that someone told the guys upstairs, "same foot as last year" but meant it in the general sense and not that it was specifically a foot injury over ankle.

davekay1971
01-07-2017, 03:52 PM

Greatest over-wrought despair post of the day. Slow clap.

Grayson gave a nasty little shove in the back of a BC player driving to the hoop in the last few minutes. It was a cheap shot. I'm sorry, but that's what it was. He needs to NOT do stuff like this.

accfanfrom1970
01-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Layup drill for bc.

jipops
01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Anybody remember the UVA game in '95 where Duke had a ~20pt lead and blew it?

FerryFor50
01-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Anybody remember the UVA game in '95 where Duke had a ~20pt lead and blew it?

Does it matter? They won even though they lost Amile. Will learn and move on.

CDu
01-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm going to now wait for official word from Duke that it was a foot. Not saying it isn't, but they never said that anyone from Duke said it was his foot and I'm thinking it's possible that someone told the guys upstairs, "same foot as last year" but meant it in the general sense and not that it was specifically a foot injury over ankle.

Tweets have said foot. We will see.

downeastdad
01-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Scary. Not the finest defensive effort. Hope Amile is back soon.

ricks68
01-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Does it matter? They won even though they lost Amile. Will learn and move on.

Actually, we lost the second half by 10 points without Amile.😯

ricks

FerryFor50
01-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Actually, we lost the second half by 10 points without Amile.😯

ricks

More importantly, they won the game. I'll reserve panic for actual losses. 😀

bluenorth
01-07-2017, 04:08 PM
On the positive side, a win is a win. But this was unimpressive to say the least. The scouting on Duke will continue to be "drive the ball to the hoop" until the D proves it can stop penetration. Coach Capel has a lot of work to do.