PDA

View Full Version : Antigua Out at USF

ChillinDuke
01-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Has anyone brought this up yet? I'm on mobile and can't link to the ESPN write up.

I must've been living under a rock but the former Calipari sidekick was 23-55 in 2+ seasons and in the midst of an academic fraud investigation.

Calipari, indeed.

- Chillin

mgtr
01-03-2017, 09:09 PM
I guess I must have been living under a rock, but I thought that Antigua is a Caribbean island.

BD80
01-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Has anyone brought this up yet? I'm on mobile and can't link to the ESPN write up.

I must've been living under a rock but the former Calipari sidekick was 23-55 in 2+ seasons and in the midst of an academic fraud investigation.

Calipari, indeed.

- Chillin

And the target of that investigation was his brother, an assistant on the staff.

royalblue
01-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Calipari, must not have communicated that "one and done" is a players goal not a coaches goal

BigWayne
01-04-2017, 02:05 AM
I guess I must have been living under a rock, but I thought that Antigua is a Caribbean island.

Well his first name is Orlando and he's from the Dominican Republic originally, so it's in the neighborhood.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-fires-orlando-antigua/2308240

OldPhiKap
01-04-2017, 07:10 AM

Perhaps you were living under an atoll.

BD80
01-04-2017, 07:44 AM

There's an atoll named after me! "No brains"

credit to Sam Malone

Indoor66
01-04-2017, 08:11 AM
There's an atoll named after me! "No brains"

credit to Sam Malone

Not a.t.o.l.l.

ChillinDuke
01-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Well his first name is Orlando and he's from the Dominican Republic originally, so it's in the neighborhood.

Thanks for linking for me.

That's the best write-up I've seen, although the thought (at the bottom of the article) that Richard Petino would potentially leave a 13-2 B1G Minnesota team to clean up a dumpster fire in the AAC is laughable to me.

- Chillin

Turk
01-04-2017, 09:03 AM

I seem to recall that Orlando Antigua played with Sean Miller at Pitt. Can't remember who else was on that team...

duketaylor
01-04-2017, 09:30 AM
thought maybe he meant under a troll;)

CrazyNotCrazie
01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Thanks for linking for me.

That's the best write-up I've seen, although the thought (at the bottom of the article) that Richard Petino would potentially leave a 13-2 B1G Minnesota team to clean up a dumpster fire in the AAC is laughable to me.

- Chillin

I agree - Pitino might have considered the job before he got the Minnesota job, but even if the program was clean, I don't think he would take it now, and he definitely doesn't want to clean up Antigua's mess unless he doesn't like snow.

It looks like they brought in Murry Bartow (Gene's son) this year as an assistant, and he had previous head coaching experience - based on zero knowledge of the situation other than that there were some issues brewing and Antigua comes from the Calipari coaching tree, I think the administration might have forced Antigua to make that hire so they had someone in place with experience in case things blew up.

Interestingly, one of his assistants is Rod Strickland, and Mike Bibby's son is on the team - knowing that Bibby has a kid old enough to be in college makes me feel really old...

Antigua overlapped for one year with Sean Miller at Pitt - Miller was older. I believe Miller's early years overlapped with Charles Smith and "Send it in" Jerome Lane so they were long gone by the time Antigua arrived.

sagegrouse
01-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Interestingly, one of his assistants is Rod Strickland, and Mike Bibby's son is on the team - knowing that Bibby has a kid old enough to be in college makes me feel really old....

Heck, I remember his grandpa, Henry Bibby.

devildeac
01-04-2017, 11:39 AM

I'll take it:

Oh, sorry, that's a photo of The Toll. :o

BD80
01-04-2017, 12:32 PM
I'll take it:

Oh, sorry, that's a photo of The Toll. :o

Actually, there was a whole case, so it's actually just "a" Toll.

Pghdukie
01-04-2017, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Turk;937943]I seem to recall that Orlando Antigua played with Sean Miller at Pitt. Can't remember who else was on that team.

I recall Miller played with Charles Smith, Jerome Lane, Demetrious Gore, Darelle Porter and Brian Shorter. That was in the late 80's.
In 91-92, Antigua and Miller played together under Coach Paul Evans and went 17-14 in the Big East.

BD80
01-04-2017, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Turk;937943]I seem to recall that Orlando Antigua played with Sean Miller at Pitt. Can't remember who else was on that team.

I recall Miller played with Charles Smith, Jerome Lane, Demetrious Gore, Darelle Porter and Brian Shorter. That was in the late 80's.
In 91-92, Antigua and Miller played together under Coach Paul Evans and went 17-14 in the Big East.

Send it home, Jerome!

duke74
01-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Interestingly, one of his assistants is Rod Strickland, and Mike Bibby's son is on the team - knowing that Bibby has a kid old enough to be in college makes me feel really old....

Can you imagine how those of us who saw his grandfather, Henry, play for UCLA and then the Knicks (on the '73 championship team), feel? And his great uncle (?), Jim, was a pretty successful MLB pitcher (was a Mets farmhand until traded to the Cards if I recall).

Turk
01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Can you imagine how those of us who saw his grandfather, Henry, play for UCLA and then the Knicks (on the '73 championship team), feel? And his great uncle (?), Jim, was a pretty successful MLB pitcher (was a Mets farmhand until traded to the Cards if I recall).

Let's see if I can hijack this into a "Pittsburgh Sports History" thread. Jim Bibby was a starter with the Pirates for several years and won a ring on the '79 World Series champs. That team also had John Candelaria, a 6'7" lefty who broke a few of Lew Alcindor's NYC high school hoops records. (See, there's another basketball connection in there somewhere...)

Indoor66
01-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Henry played for Wooden at UCLA around 1970-71. I always got a kick out of the fact that he was from Franklinton, NC and many wondered how he got away from the cheat machine over on the Dump. 😁😎

Pghdukie
01-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Candelaria was 6'7" tall and a pretty good hoopster. He also lost a son at an early age in a swimming pool accident.