PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Louisville Women

chrishoke
01-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Game at Cameron. Duke leads 18-16 with 5 to go in 1st half.

DU82
01-02-2017, 07:49 PM
After a quick start, both teams have bogged down in half court play. Louisville matches our size, and is really banging us inside. That has really affected Oderah's game. Once again, Rebecca can't get free to shoot, regardless of how many screens we try to set. Lexie hit her first three, but has been pressing ever since. Lynee came in to give us some size inside, hopefully she can continue in the second half.

25-23 Ugly Birds at the half.

Stray Gator
01-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Great win for the Duke women!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Nice win by the lady Devils. Finished well. Good stuff.

loran16
01-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Embarrassing falling for that trick play but at least it didn't matter in the end. Had to have this one at home and got it. Great stuff

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Awesome win, great start to the ACC season! (And that lessens the blow of that opening play, but kudos to Louisville for doing something I have never seen before.)

burnspbesq
01-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Will definitely take this one.

Wuffettes about to claim another top 10 scalp.

heyman25
01-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Great win. Coach P is doing a nice job of managing minutes for her team.Lexie and Becca continue to play at a high level.

chrishoke
01-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Nice coaching down the stretch, switching to man to man to prevent the 3 ball, giving a foul to burn time and making sure Lexie and only Lexie handled the ball the last couple of possessions - she is dead $ on the lined. Great win!

burnspbesq
01-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Nice coaching down the stretch, switching to man to man to prevent the 3 ball, giving a foul to burn time and making sure Lexie and only Lexie handled the ball the last couple of possessions - she is dead $ on the lined. Great win!

I guess 45 in a row is legal tender.

On a night when Oderah was pummeled all night and didn't respond well, Kendall made a big contribution, with eight points on 4-6 shooting and two blocks, including the big one in the last minute.

jwillfan
01-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Embarrassing falling for that trick play but at least it didn't matter in the end. Had to have this one at home and got it. Great stuff

...but it was embarrassing - luckily it didn't matter. The Team - including coaches - were not prepared to start the half and were set up to defend the wrong basket. LVL inbounded for a gimme layup.

As a long time attendee (starting in '98) this was my first game for a couple of years after a "break" due to loss of enjoying watching the team as they couldn't compete against decent competition. There were quite a few embarrassing moments that finally made me step away. I cautiously went back with a Charlie Brown and the football mindset and was pleasantly surprised by the solid play and toughness of this squad. Coach P still loves her 2 bigs in the post but they are for the most part mobile and experienced. Freshman Odom was a bit lost in her first ACC game but she clearly has upside and the game will come to her. A very encouraging, if puzzling, team given the offseason turmoil and the loss of Stevens. Hard to imagine this team wouldn't be better with her on it but maybe it's addition by subtraction? I have no idea. Just loved seeing us compete and play tough and execute down the stretch.

Go Duke!

jwillfan
01-02-2017, 09:25 PM
I took a couple of photos. This was a game against teams ranked 8th and 13th in the most recent AP poll and there was generously 1500 people in Cameron. Here are 2 photos I took - the first is a gametime shot and it didn't fill up much if any past that. The other is the empty press seat that *could* have been just a bathroom break at halftime but was kinda hoping to meet him :)

https://goo.gl/photos/aJKgEcx7Zw2ZRokcA

DU82
01-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Just back from the game (and not using my phone to post!)

Regarding the start of the second half play: yes, Jeff, you caught us by putting three of your players on the defensive side to fake which basket was which, but it's a bush league play. Is your intent to really embarrass the other team for a cheap two points? Seems to be your typical character. (And it's really on the coaches, somebody should have been paying attention.)

On to the play. Kyra was the star of the game, in our view. Had energy, pushed the play late, and a couple of key assists (I think she defers to the upper classmen too often.) I thought Lexie was playing too much "hero" ball by dribbling down the play clock and then pushing up a three. It worked against Kentucky, who weren't as tough on D as Louisville, but it caused the rest of the team to stop fighting for position. However, late in the game she came up big with steals and 8 for 8 from the line. More + than -, for sure.

Rebecca is the focus of the other team's D, and in spite of moving all the time, and trying to come off screens has trouble getting open. She then handles the ball more than she probably should. But she hit perhaps the biggest shot of the game, when we were down five late.

Bad Oderah (catch the ball, go inside without a plan and throw up the ball) showed up to start, but late in the 3rd, when one of those throws went in, it clicked for a while. (Coach P had sent Lynee to the table to come in for her, but after those two plays kept Oderah in instead.) She's really not physically strong enough to go against Louisville's front line.

Fortunately, Kendall was. She was terrific. While not every shot went in, she knew what she was doing out there, and came up with a huge block late when we needed it. Lynee, still limited in movement, came in and used her size to our advantage on D. Erin was more of a non-factor, although she scored on a great inbounds play under the basket to put us up late (on a great inbounds pass from Kyra.) Leoanna played like a freshman playing her first ACC contest. Especially against a physical team, she was pushed around, and was out of position at times. She has talent, but it's going to play much down the stretch right now, because of those mental errors, and likely foul trouble resulting from those misplays. She's going to be a really good player, but it's going to take some time.

Crystal played good defense, and hit one line drive shot in the first half. She has to get better on offense to play more. Faith didn't play.

And, contrary to some posters (including me in previous years), the coaches pushed the right buttons most of the time. Good substitutions, and the set plays (such as the late inbounds to Erin) worked. I understand our defense packs it in, which gives up the 3 ball more than I'd like, but overall it certainly worked tonight. Especially going to M2M defense late to harass the three point shooters.

Louisville's a really good team, and this win was huge for the program. Hopefully it (along with the SC win) represents us moving back towards the elite. This isn't a great team, but a very solid one, especially on defense. We're on the road the next two games, at GT and then at FSU, who lost at home tonight to the bigger local story, the Pack women. We need to keep it up, and not slack off.

Then a week from Thursday, the sartorially challenged cheating smurfs are in town. It would be nice for a big crowd to come out for that one.

westwall
01-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Just back from the game (and not using my phone to post!)

Regarding the start of the second half play: yes, Jeff, you caught us by putting three of your players on the defensive side to fake which basket was which, but it's a bush league play. Is your intent to really embarrass the other team for a cheap two points? Seems to be your typical character. (And it's really on the coaches, somebody should have been paying attention.)

On to the play. Kyra was the star of the game, in our view. Had energy, pushed the play late, and a couple of key assists (I think she defers to the upper classmen too often.) I thought Lexie was playing too much "hero" ball by dribbling down the play clock and then pushing up a three. It worked against Kentucky, who weren't as tough on D as Louisville, but it caused the rest of the team to stop fighting for position. However, late in the game she came up big with steals and 8 for 8 from the line. More + than -, for sure.

Rebecca is the focus of the other team's D, and in spite of moving all the time, and trying to come off screens has trouble getting open. She then handles the ball more than she probably should. But she hit perhaps the biggest shot of the game, when we were down five late.

Bad Oderah (catch the ball, go inside without a plan and throw up the ball) showed up to start, but late in the 3rd, when one of those throws went in, it clicked for a while. (Coach P had sent Lynee to the table to come in for her, but after those two plays kept Oderah in instead.) She's really not physically strong enough to go against Louisville's front line.

Fortunately, Kendall was. She was terrific. While not every shot went in, she knew what she was doing out there, and came up with a huge block late when we needed it. Lynee, still limited in movement, came in and used her size to our advantage on D. Erin was more of a non-factor, although she scored on a great inbounds play under the basket to put us up late (on a great inbounds pass from Kyra.) Leoanna played like a freshman playing her first ACC contest. Especially against a physical team, she was pushed around, and was out of position at times. She has talent, but it's going to play much down the stretch right now, because of those mental errors, and likely foul trouble resulting from those misplays. She's going to be a really good player, but it's going to take some time.

Crystal played good defense, and hit one line drive shot in the first half. She has to get better on offense to play more. Faith didn't play.

And, contrary to some posters (including me in previous years), the coaches pushed the right buttons most of the time. Good substitutions, and the set plays (such as the late inbounds to Erin) worked. I understand our defense packs it in, which gives up the 3 ball more than I'd like, but overall it certainly worked tonight. Especially going to M2M defense late to harass the three point shooters.

Louisville's a really good team, and this win was huge for the program. Hopefully it (along with the SC win) represents us moving back towards the elite. This isn't a great team, but a very solid one, especially on defense. We're on the road the next two games, at GT and then at FSU, who lost at home tonight to the bigger local story, the Pack women. We need to keep it up, and not slack off.

Then a week from Thursday, the sartorially challenged cheating smurfs are in town. It would be nice for a big crowd to come out for that one.

I saw most of the game but this "on the scene" account is a good supplement. Best game by the women I have seen in some time.

OldPhiKap
01-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Really pulling for the WBB program this season, glad to see that things are going well so far. They deserve it.

devildeac
01-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Sounds like the 7008 was running on almost all cylinders tonight...

Very nice W. Congrats.

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Bad Oderah (catch the ball, go inside without a plan and throw up the ball) showed up to start, but late in the 3rd, when one of those throws went in, it clicked for a while. (Coach P had sent Lynee to the table to come in for her, but after those two plays kept Oderah in instead.) She's really not physically strong enough to go against Louisville's front line...

(More good stuff...Go up and read it yourself, it's worth the look but I don't want to fill up a bunch of space. -CB&B).

I love this post and recap. It encapsulates what is wrong with this team, and how they are able to use what they do well to compensate. This group of women is going to be fun to watch come together as the season progresses.

dukelifer
01-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Team made winning plays on O and D at the end. This team seems to have very good chemistry and everyone understands her role. Good win.

Kedsy
01-02-2017, 10:49 PM

So happy that ridiculous play to start the second half was only embarrassing and not game-deciding. Kyra was outstanding, Lexie hit a bunch of key free throws, and Kendall came up big on the game-saving block. Nice win.

jimsumner
01-02-2017, 11:22 PM
I have no problem with Louisville's play to open the second half. If it had been a blow-out, then maybe it's a bush-league play. But in a close game, it's totally legit IMO and it's on Duke that they fell for it. I'm not sure why this is any different than a trick play in football and we all love those, at least when they work.

Duke didn't let it fester and that's also on Duke. Next play.

One of the more physical women's games I've seen. The officials just swallowed their whistles and it went both ways. Duke was called for seven fouls. Seven.

And the physicality just took both Chidom and Odom out of the game. Neither could play through that level of uncalled contact. But Cooper and Belton gave nice efforts off the bench and the perimeter players started getting defensive rebounds in the second half. Greenwell, Lambert and Brown had 15 of Duke's 25 rebounds. But the key was Duke forcing 19 Louisville turnovers, including seven by Mariya Moore. Except for the in-bounds fiasco, Duke was sound and McCallie pushed the right buttons.

Duke now has three home wins against ranked teams. Not too shabby.

uh_no
01-02-2017, 11:28 PM
I took a couple of photos. This was a game against teams ranked 8th and 13th in the most recent AP poll and there was generously 1500 people in Cameron. Here are 2 photos I took - the first is a gametime shot and it didn't fill up much if any past that. The other is the empty press seat that *could* have been just a bathroom break at halftime but was kinda hoping to meet him :)

https://goo.gl/photos/aJKgEcx7Zw2ZRokcA

I really appreciate the women on the team for going out there and busting their butt and pulling out a great win (and more generally, on their way to a pretty darn good year).

burnspbesq
01-03-2017, 09:21 AM
So ... can Duke claim the Kentucky state championship, or do we have to beat Eastern, Western, Northern, Morehead, Murray, Austin Peay, Centre, and Transylvania, too?

NSDukeFan
01-03-2017, 12:24 PM
So ... can Duke claim the Kentucky state championship, or do we have to beat Eastern, Western, Northern, Morehead, Murray, Austin Peay, Centre, and Transylvania, too?
Wouldn't UNC already have hung a banner ?

burnspbesq
01-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Wouldn't UNC already have hung a banner ?

They would have hung it before the Kentucky game.

Speaking of Carolina, it looked like some Louisville players were trying to compile video resumes for the Leah Metcalf Award for Creative Thuggery.

Mike Corey
01-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Without having had the occasion to watch the women's team play yet this year, I wanted to at least say I've been impressed and pleased with the results thus far; here's hoping this keeps up and the team stays healthy along the way.