PDA

View Full Version : The Women are ready to go

Bluedawg
10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
From what I've been able to see the women are chomping at the bit to get cranked up this season.

Already, McCallie is working to correct the fatal flaw that has haunted Duke for the last several years -- a lack of mental toughness.

I think Coach P seems to have things in hand and has hit the ground running.

"That's one thing that everyone's noticed that she brings to the table -- the mental aspect," said senior guard Wanisha Smith, one of three starters returning. "It's something that she realizes has been missing the last couple years."

Duke's 2006-07 season was a perfect example. The Devils were undefeated during the regular season before playing poorly in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. They finished the season 32-3 and lost 53-52 to Rutgers in the round of 16.

"We were blowing teams out, but when tournament time came, we were a different team," Smith said. [Raleigh News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/734372.html)]

Should be an exciting year as they reach for new heights!

Don't you agree Coach G?
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/84j1je4i.jpg

_Gary
10-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Unless someone was just afraid to say it, there was no doubt the "mental" angle was the problem for quite some time. And since different players come and go and yet the problem persisted, at least a portion of it had to be laid at Coach G's doorstep. I've been so frustrated at the "deer in the headlights" look we've seen from the ladies teams over the last several years. Even though I know virtually nothing about her personally, I believe Coach P is going to correct this issue.

wilson
10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Unless someone was just afraid to say it, there was no doubt the "mental" angle was the problem for quite some time. And since different players come and go and yet the problem persisted, at least a portion of it had to be laid at Coach G's doorstep. I've been so frustrated at the "deer in the headlights" look we've seen from the ladies teams over the last several years. Even though I know virtually nothing about her personally, I believe Coach P is going to correct this issue.

Agreed. The "Iciss Tillis," oops, I mean "deer in headlights" syndrome has probably cost the ladies at least two championships in the last 7-8 years.

Bluedawg
10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

I've had the pleasure of meeting her and, although it was a very short conversation, I saw the fire in her eyes. I think she will.

gadzooks
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree; I liked Coach G a lot, but the post-season was such a bugaboo for her, she, and consequently the team, just tensed up every time. Coach P does seem to be somewhat tougher, so I'm really looking forward to this season. Go Blue Devils!