PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Loses Captain Status

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Grayson Allen removed as captain, per K's postgame. Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson are the remaining co-captains.

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Grayson Allen removed as captain, per K's postgame. Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson are the remaining co-captains.

Unfortunate and self-inflicted. Still, the title is not the only way to lead. He has a chance to prove it on the court (eventually) and in the locker room.

uh_no
12-31-2016, 05:15 PM

Makes sense. He doesn't need the overhead of trying to lead others when he's sorting through his own issues.

CameronBornAndBred
12-31-2016, 05:15 PM

I didn't hear the comments; did he say this was something that was done before and he was just now mentioning it? Not a surprise move, it was something that I had expected to hear at the same time of the suspension. Either way, Grayson was active on the bench today, and that was good to see from him. No signs of moping and self pity, but up and encouraging those that were playing.

kAzE
12-31-2016, 05:24 PM
This was unexpected, but on second thought, it makes sense. His actions have not exemplified good leadership. I hope he can earn his status as a captain back at some point this season, but for now, this seems like the right thing to do. Hopefully, this will satiate the angry pitchfork mob and the media just a little bit.

Indoor66
12-31-2016, 05:31 PM
It also gives him a personal status point to go out and earn back and I believe that he can earn the captaincy back.

Doria
12-31-2016, 05:32 PM
I didn't hear the comments; did he say this was something that was done before and he was just now mentioning it? Not a surprise move, it was something that I had expected to hear at the same time of the suspension. Either way, Grayson was active on the bench today, and that was good to see from him. No signs of moping and self pity, but up and encouraging those that were playing.

To me, Coach K kind of threw it in by way of answering a different question (or maybe deflecting another suspension question). I didn't think he made a "big" deal about it (not saying it isn't a big deal, just that it was a matter of fact statement). But yes, I'd agree with your assessment that it makes sense overall, both for the team right now and also for Grayson.

fuse
12-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Without excusing any of the poor behaviour, has any one player lost so much as a result of three flagrant 1 fouls over 2 seasons?

Indefinite (at least one game) suspension, loss of captaincy.

Fingers crossed that punishment/consequences will fit the crime.

While all self inflicted, my hope for Grayson is to put this behind him and play cleanly moving forward.

If the VT crowd is what Grayson can expect for the rest of the season, he needs to figure out how to ignore and block out the noise.

CoachJ10
12-31-2016, 05:34 PM
It also gives him a personal status point to go out and earn back and I believe that he can earn the captaincy back.

I agree...having a non-stat related goal like this should be a positive carrot for a guy who I think will give 200% to earn it back.

uh_no
12-31-2016, 05:40 PM
Without excusing any of the poor behaviour, has any one player lost so much as a result of three flagrant 1 fouls over 2 seasons?

While all self inflicted, my hope for Grayson is to put this behind him and play cleanly moving forward.

If the VT crowd is what Grayson can expect for the rest of the season, he needs to figure out how to ignore and block out the noise.

if they were the same offense, I would think the response at any QUALITY program would be similar. That said, I can't think of a player who has had three tech's for the same type of infraction, except for maybe Dan Ewing...

Doria
12-31-2016, 05:40 PM

I may be mistaken, but I don't think he was ever called for the one against... uh, FSU? Sorry, I know it wasn't the point of your question. I'm just procrastinating by being tendentious and retentive.

DukieInBrasil
12-31-2016, 05:42 PM

At least in the FSU game, it wasn't called a foul at all, though by definition it certainly was eligible to be a F1 foul.

fuse
12-31-2016, 05:51 PM
My overall point remains, regardless of offense, even if a player had 3 technicals in 3 straight games, have they ever been suspended, etc?

Again, Grayson made bad choices and should be held accountable. I'm not sure if it were anywhere else but Duke (or perhaps a conceit to a perennial power program) that a player would be in the meat grinder Grayson is in.

I just want to see Grayson be as successful as he can be, and while I do not know him, I suspect he is being judged harshly (if not unfairly).

Kfanarmy
12-31-2016, 05:58 PM
My overall point remains, regardless of offense, even if a player had 3 technicals in 3 straight games, have they ever been suspended, etc?

Again, Grayson made bad choices and should be held accountable. I'm not sure if it were anywhere else but Duke (or perhaps a conceit to a perennial power program) that a player would be in the meat grinder Grayson is in.

I just want to see Grayson be as successful as he can be, and while I do not know him, I suspect he is being judged harshly (if not unfairly).

His actions were self-centered, immature, and lacked sportsmanship. He was where he needs to be: on the bench.

kmspeaks
12-31-2016, 05:59 PM

Well Justise Winslow grabbed a guy's leg to prevent him from running down the court, tripped someone going after a rebound, and karate kicked a defender all in the same season but no one here or in the media called for him to be suspended for 5 games. I certainly don't remember it being national news or having a split screen "Justise cam" in subsequent games.

CoachJ10
12-31-2016, 06:16 PM
His actions were self-centered, immature, and lacked sportsmanship. He was where he needs to be: on the bench.

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Perhaps now is the time to support a young man who has more attention in one minute than most of us will have in a lifetime, instead of piling on.

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 06:51 PM

Perhaps now is the time to support a young man who has more attention in one minute than most of us will have in a lifetime, instead of piling on.

I like this answer better. Let's aim for growth.

And I would have sporked you but . . . there's a thread on that, actually.

Kfanarmy
12-31-2016, 06:51 PM

I was responding to a post, not piling on. His predicament is well-earned.

TruBlu
12-31-2016, 06:57 PM

I agree.

I can't speak for others, but I have made far worse mistakes in my life than what this young man did.

Fortunately, mine were not on national tv, being viewed by a bunch of people who love to hate anything Duke, and some announcers who like to cater to those haters for rating purpose.

slower
12-31-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure if it were anywhere else but Duke (or perhaps a conceit to a perennial power program) that a player would be in the meat grinder Grayson is in.

OF COURSE any other player wouldn't be catching this much grief. Various "media" outlets anointed Grayson as "the next hated Duke player" before he ever played a game.

The public backlash is SO much out of proportion to his transgressions precisely because so many people WANTED something to hate him for.

And yeah, it's "his own fault" - but it's still a crock of feces.

Indoor66
12-31-2016, 07:02 PM
I was responding to a post, not piling on. His predicament is well-earned.

You don't think that is piling on?

Kfanarmy
12-31-2016, 07:08 PM
You don't think that is piling on?

No. I don't. If someone implies he is being unfairly treated, responding to their point is not piling on.

Atlanta Duke
12-31-2016, 07:20 PM
Read about Grayson losing the tri-captain position as the #2 story on the top stories mobile page of USA Today - not top sports stories but top stories (above such trivia as Senator McCain visiting frontline troops in the Ukraine).

The story on the VA Tech loss is the #8 story on the USA Today sports page

Good to see the obsession about this is cooling off.

mgtr
12-31-2016, 08:16 PM
There seems to be some "holier than thou" attitude with regard to GA on this board. Lets try to remember that this a kid, what -- 20 years old? Did you make any bad decisions at 20? I sure did. What he did was wrong, some punishment is required. But he is still our guy -- we want him to succeed.

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Except what he did wasn't THAT wrong...

Kishiznit
12-31-2016, 08:39 PM
In the spirit of losing captain statuses, let's remove the other 2 as well after today. Embarrassing. The split screen from ESPN on Grayson was rehearsed and approved. Kid has more than paid his dues. #freegrayson

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 08:40 PM
There seems to be some "holier than thou" attitude with regard to GA on this board. Lets try to remember that this a kid, what -- 20 years old? Did you make any bad decisions at 20? I sure did. What he did was wrong, some punishment is required. But he is still our guy -- we want him to succeed.

Well, I got married at twenty. Probably my best decision ever. For the record, I still question my sweetie's sanity in accepting a proposal from a 17-year-old.

A WHOLE bunch of decisions/actions before and after that were pretty bad. Some atrociously so.

Yes, we want Grayson to succeed, both here and in the larger things in life. I have faith that Grayson will. He seems a class act off the court, in the larger scope of the world. He will learn, within the confines of the the lines, to prove it there as well.

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 08:44 PM
https://twitter.com/SBNationGIF/status/815369478968143873

Just to reiterate, the trip this only matters because the "White Duke Villain" thing is a painfully easy narrative for media outlets to push. He doesn't deserve anything that has come to him except maybe a 1 game suspension for acting like a baby. Look at the video above. This is worse than what Grayson has probably done at any point in his life. What do we have to show for it? A tweet, not a fortnight's worth of outrage from anyone with a microphone, keyboard, or opinion. In fact, I would be willing to bet most folks laugh about this.

If you're still up on your high horse about GA, spit the pound of flesh that the everyone has shoved down your throat out, then get off your horse and try to avoid that horse's feces on your way down.

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 08:47 PM
In the spirit of losing captain statuses, let's remove the other 2 as well after today. Embarrassing. The split screen from ESPN on Grayson was rehearsed and approved. Kid has more than paid his dues. #freegrayson

Unfortunately, the narrative must be maintained. As Stray Gator noted, "There's no click bait like Duke hate."

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately, the narrative must be maintained. As Stray Gator noted, "There's no click bait like Duke hate."

Hey, at least First Take is moving to ESPN!!!

bloodevil
12-31-2016, 09:03 PM
Let me tell you what is happening . . . The Inaugural President of the College Basketball Commission is about the give his final arguments.

mgtr
12-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Well, I got married at twenty. Probably my best decision ever. .

Well, I got divorced at twenty. Definitely my best decision ever.

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 09:20 PM

Crap, I can't spork you, either. That was funny.

uh_no
12-31-2016, 09:25 PM

Duke won a national championship and I graduated Duke at 20 :) It was a good year.

gam7
12-31-2016, 09:32 PM

https://youtu.be/Rhn0pgbfzf4

OZ
12-31-2016, 09:34 PM
Duke won a national championship and I graduated Duke at 20 :) It was a good year.

I can't remember being twenty.

Devilwin
12-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Well, let's look at the facts. He has done this three times. He is, as duly noted, a 20 year old kid. But, I've watched kids 12 years of age and younger play ball and didn't see that kind of behavior. Yes, he hurt his team, as K said during pregame. And he has to live with what he did. That being said, I say let's bring him back, nobody died, or was even injured (but they could have been).
I know we all recall Chris Paul's groin attacks, and there was not nearly the furor created by that (I'd rather be tripped ) series of incidents.
Did Grayson deserve to be punished? Absolutely. Should he be reinstated now? I say yes. The young fella has to carry this for a long time. I know he has to be just shattered inside, especially after today's debacle.
There was a point in the game today, with the fans chanting, "we want Grayson", that I told the wife, "Ok Coach, tell him to get dressed, suspension over, put him in!" Let him lead the rally!
Grayson will be back, sadder but wiser, and we will see the fire again..

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Dead serious look at this video

The best D lineman for Clemson, on national television, for probably the most highly rated game since the super bowl, grabbed JT Barrett's testicles.

If this doesn't show you the incredible negative light that ESPN is willing to put on Grayson because it fits their narrative, then nothing will.

uh_no
12-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Dead serious look at this video

The best D lineman for Clemson, on national television, for probably the most highly rated game since the super bowl, grabbed JT Barrett's testicles.

If this doesn't show you the incredible negative light that ESPN is willing to put on Grayson because it fits their narrative, then nothing will.

if he did it 3 times, he'd get crap for it too. I mean, look at what the media does every time Ndomukuh Suh does....now, obviously I think he IS dirty relative to grayson.....but they'll jump on anyone they think they can portray as a star falling.

weezie
12-31-2016, 09:53 PM
Ok, ok. I might say enough, but when has that ever worked here? We can't keep trying to imagine what is going on inside his head or his heart.

Man alive, this is a painful episode, if only superficially for us, then what about Grayson? By all accounts, he's a good guy, a committed Christian, a great team member. Right, sure, he burns hot on the court, I understand. But...

Now, I'm very concerned. I want this young man to heal and move forward, no matter what path that might be.

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 09:55 PM
if he did it 3 times, he'd get crap for it too. I mean, look at what the media does every time Ndomukuh Suh does...now, obviously I think he IS dirty relative to grayson....but they'll jump on anyone they think they can portray as a star falling.

1 intentional shot in the nuts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>15 tripping incidents as long as they aren't done when the dude is at a full sprint or in the air.

gam7
12-31-2016, 10:02 PM

Yes, we all made some mistakes at 20. (Heck, I'll probably even make a few more tonight!) But I've also played more than one sport competitively. While the media obsession is WAY over the top, Grayson is getting what he deserves. I don't believe anyone on this board has said it, but last season there were a number of other - hmm - leg entanglements involving Grayson that I'd say were questionable but not called. To me, these clearly are not conscious decisions that Grayson is making, but they are reckless and need to be addressed. And they are being addressed. I am not optimistic about the media or opposing fans checking themselves though.

Incidentally, there was a referee tripping incident last season - Jarmal Reid of Oregon State tripped an official running down the court after not getting a call. He was suspended for four games by Oregon State and the Pac 12 took no further action. Can't imagine Grayson's suspension will be longer than this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is this long.

He's paying his dues, and when he's back I'll be rooting like hell for him.

moonpie23
12-31-2016, 11:26 PM
good....excellent move by K........gives grayson something to earn back...

and he will......bank it....

he's also going to rip it up when he comes back....

uh_no
12-31-2016, 11:31 PM
good...excellent move by K....gives grayson something to earn back...

well...i mean...other than his place on the floor....and his place in the starting lineup

Furniture
12-31-2016, 11:55 PM

I agree with this and I don't understand why people get upset about you stating it. It doesn't mean that I don't like and support Grayson and not want the absolute best for him. I want him back asap! My thoughts on coach K's comments in todays press conference about Grayson was that he was tough on him. It's tough love. Something like Grayson played his part in this loss and then the capaintacy thing. Does anyone think that K doesn't care for him? I don't understand some people. They want Duke to be the best but want to get treated like the rest. That ain't gunna work!!

Indoor66
01-01-2017, 07:49 AM
I can't remember being twenty.

20, 20! I ain't got no 20 - and never did!

subzero02
01-01-2017, 08:26 AM
I agree with this and I don't understand why people get upset about you stating it. It doesn't mean that I don't like and support Grayson and not want the absolute best for him. I want him back asap! My thoughts on coach K's comments in todays press conference about Grayson was that he was tough on him. It's tough love. Something like Grayson played his part in this loss and then the capaintacy thing. Does anyone think that K doesn't care for him? I don't understand some people. They want Duke to be the best but want to get treated like the rest. That ain't gunna work!!

We were down 9 points in the national championship game and our 11 time final four coach brought in Grayson. I have never seen our coach so blatantly prod a player in a public forum but I won't ever question K's methodology.. defense wins championships (clemson/bama).

flyingdutchdevil
01-01-2017, 09:08 AM
good...excellent move by K....gives grayson something to earn back...

and he will...bank it...

he's also going to rip it up when he comes back...

IMO, there is zero percent chance Coach K gives Grayson the captaincy again this year. I just don't see how Coach K would do that. Plus, this team had mediocre leadership before Grayson, so reverting back to the status quo doesn't solve anything.

Sadly, a Quinn Cook has not been established on this team. Really shocking to see, given the pre season expectations of Grayson, Amile, and Jones.

Troublemaker
01-01-2017, 09:17 AM
IMO, there is zero percent chance Coach K gives Grayson the captaincy again this year. I just don't see how Coach K would do that. Plus, this team had mediocre leadership before Grayson, so reverting back to the status quo doesn't solve anything.

Sadly, a Quinn Cook has not been established on this team. Really shocking to see, given the pre season expectations of Grayson, Amile, and Jones.

What was your feeling about Cook's captaincy after the back-to-back losses to NCSU and Miami in 2015?

Don't lose your mind over this loss.

Spanarkel
01-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Except what he did wasn't THAT wrong...

"The incident was unacceptable and inexcusable."
Coach K, 12/22/16

flyingdutchdevil
01-01-2017, 02:39 PM
What was your feeling about Cook's captaincy after the back-to-back losses to NCSU and Miami in 2015?

Don't lose your mind over this loss.

I'm not losing my mind at all. Just admiring the job that Quinn Cook did. IMO, this team doesn't have a Quinn Cook-type leader yet. Hopefully, Jones or Amile can improve on that front.

Troublemaker
01-01-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm not losing my mind at all. Just admiring the job that Quinn Cook did. IMO, this team doesn't have a Quinn Cook-type leader yet. Hopefully, Jones or Amile can improve on that front.

I thought Quinn was a great leader, too. But, I thought so because all the players and coaches kept telling me he was a great leader. I'm just a fan and really can't determine who's a good leader or not without massive help from personal testimony.

The players and coaches seem to believe that Amile and Matt are great leaders. Now, maybe Amile and Matt are a 9 on a scale of 10 for leadership and Quinn was a 10 out of 10. Perhaps. But I don't think leadership is a problem for this team. (Now, if the players and coaches start to sing a different tune about leadership, then I'll obviously re-think it.) Quinn was a great leader and he presided over bad losses as well.

cato
01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
if they were the same offense, I would think the response at any QUALITY program would be similar. That said, I can't think of a player who has had three tech's for the same type of infraction, except for maybe Dan Ewing...

How many techs did Corey get for doing unspeakable things to rims/backboards? I recall two I believe