PDA

View Full Version : Bench Decorum

gw67
10-12-2007, 08:03 AM
It will be interesting to see how the refs enforce the new "bench decorum" rules. Keeping the coaches in the box should be easy to enforce. The only current coaches in the ACC that push this based on my experience are Greenburg and Hewitt although I may not be paying close attention. The area that may be tough to enforce will be the use of foul language. Reading lips, it appears that most of the ACC coaches, including Coach K, use the F-word and others when shouting at the refs. This use of foul language should be stopped and I expect a few T's will get most to clean up their act. If the NCAA wants to eliminate all bad language on the bench, even when directed inward at the team, then a number of coaches with Gary Williams leading the pack, will be watching games on TV.

gw67

whereinthehellami
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I think Coach K is one of the best/worst (depending on how you look at it) at working the refs with intimidating stares and harsh words. The thought of ringing up Coach Williams (either one), K, and Knight because of a lack of bench decorum seems ludicrous. The ref that rings up one of those Coaches with the game on the line for a lack of bench decorum needs to be examined by a physician for elephantitus of the you know whats.

hondoheel
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
There is one coach nationally that caused this rule to be implemented.

Bluedawg
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I think Coach K is one of the best/worst (depending on how you look at it) at working the refs with intimidating stares and harsh words. The thought of ringing up Coach Williams (either one), K, and Knight because of a lack of bench decorum seems ludicrous. The ref that rings up one of those Coaches with the game on the line for a lack of bench decorum needs to be examined by a physician for elephantitus of the you know whats.

But coaches who use the F-word, or any other vulgar words, when shouting at the refs, players, fans etc should be rung up. Professionalism and decorum really is not too much to ask, is it?

elvis14
10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
But coaches who use the F-word, or any other vulgar words, when shouting at the refs, players, fans etc should be rung up. Professionalism and decorum really is not too much to ask, is it?

F-that! Say whatever you need to say to get your point across if it gives Duke an advantage. Although I will say that coaches shouldn't curse at the fans. But the refs, open season baby....F-bombs away!

Ignatius07
10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Coach K will need to take caution - he fairly frequently leaves the coach's box (though he doesn't go as far as some coaches), and we all know he likes to use vulgar language with refs.

VAGentleman05
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm glad you all recognize K's propensity for a little R-rated language...I'm always stunned when I talk to Duke fans who claim that he's as innocent as a schoolgirl on the bench.

More to the point, Leitao is going to have to appoint a "get-back" coach as well, as he tends to leave the box and drop some bombs himself.

dukeENG2003
10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I see the point in trying to curb vulgar language to fans, opponenets, and to refs, but why should you be restricted in what you say to your own players? K curses when talking to his players on occasion, but its always for a reason (usually, cuz someone really F'd up).

6th Man
10-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I think Johnny D better be ready......2 T's I believe is an automatic ejection. Coach K ought to be good for at least 5 ejections if this rule is indeed enforced. I'm not K hating, but this rule really sucks for him!

chrishoke
10-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I love the new rule. All of college sports could use more decorum and sportsmanship, me included.

Bluedawg
10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
F-that! Say whatever you need to say to get your point across if it gives Duke an advantage. Although I will say that coaches shouldn't curse at the fans. But the refs, open season baby....F-bombs away!

A little professionalism never hurt anybody.

Classof06
10-12-2007, 02:49 PM

I agree. I'm not saying everyone should be dropping F-Bombs, but basketball is an emotional game, man. They would never think about implementing these rules in college football. Sometimes you need to use colorful language to get your point across. Those who are quick to dismiss it should take a look at how your favorite college coach handles his team. Anyone who's ever sat in close proximity to Duke's bench in Cameron can fill you in. The players' parents sit right there, too. They don't seem to object and neither do I....

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-12-2007, 03:14 PM
There is one coach nationally that caused this rule to be implemented.

Aww, cut O'l Roy some slack, not everybody gives a sh!t about cursing on live television. ;)

Fish80
10-12-2007, 03:24 PM
No worries, K will adapt. He will figure a way to work within the confines of the rule. A decade ago this rule would have been more of a problem for him, not so today. If you watched him with the senior national team, you saw a much calmer demeaner. Clearly that behavior is in his arsenal.

I agree with the thought that Gary will have the most trouble with this rule. He may not make it through a single ACC game this season!

chrishoke
10-12-2007, 03:30 PM
"No worries, K will adapt."

Exactly.

whereinthehellami
10-12-2007, 03:43 PM
If I'm Coach K, at this point in my career, these are the little things that really start to grate on me and take the fun out of the game. Coach K isn't going to Coach forever and probably only for as long as he still gets enjoyment out of it.

I'm not against this rule but I think the NCAA has some bigger issues that they can spend their time on and should spend their time on. The coach's box part is easily enforced but the verbal part is very subjective.

feldspar
10-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I see the point in trying to curb vulgar language to fans, opponenets, and to refs, but why should you be restricted in what you say to your own players? K curses when talking to his players on occasion, but its always for a reason (usually, cuz someone really F'd up).

Simple.

Sportsmanship, as defined by the NCAA, does not include profanity. Doesn't matter who it's directed towards.

Kudos to the NCAA Officiating Committee for finally taking a stand on this, although IMO it should have been done a long, long time ago.

From what I hear, the commissioners have been told to enforce this rule VERY strictly (the NCAA wants to be clear that the directive is not to be a mere token), so get prepared for some T's early as the coaches (K included, of course) test it out a bit.

feldspar
10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm not against this rule but I think the NCAA has some bigger issues that they can spend their time on and should spend their time on. The coach's box part is easily enforced but the verbal part is very subjective.

I disagree.

Sportsmanship should always be at the top of the list for things the NCAA should be concerned about.

jimsumner
10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
FWIW, K was quite supportive of this initiative in his media conference Friday. Whether he can maintain that equilibrium in the heat of competition is another question. But I wouldn't underestimate the man's ability to stay within whatever guidelines the officials are enforcing.

Cameron
10-14-2007, 03:15 PM
F*&% this piece of #*&* rule. That is all I have to say about that.

feldspar
10-29-2007, 08:43 PM

FYI, the NCAA rules clinic was held this weekend in California, and this was talked about at length.

It was pretty much spelled out that officials are to watch (and listen, obviously) for profanity directed at the opposing players, opposing coach and the officials, but profanity towards a coach's own players was to be ignored unless it's egregious.

So I think that clears that up a bit.

Exiled_Devil
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree. I'm not saying everyone should be dropping F-Bombs, but basketball is an emotional game, man. They would never think about implementing these rules in college football. Sometimes you need to use colorful language to get your point across.
Only if you are not intelligent enough to use decent language. There is no excuse for profanity other than ignorance or laziness.

Those who are quick to dismiss it should take a look at how your favorite college coach handles his team. Anyone who's ever sat in close proximity to Duke's bench in Cameron can fill you in. The players' parents sit right there, too. They don't seem to object and neither do I....

However, the person watching on national television, with children, do mind. Frankly, given the FCC's crackdown on language at celebrity events, I am surprised that no school or coach has been cited with a federal fine before.

I am amazed that so many people are defending swearing on national television.

Wander
10-29-2007, 09:45 PM
If this rule is enforced our season is pretty much over. We might not even make the tournament.

On the positive side, Maryland won't win a single game this year.

mgtr
10-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Well, it is a tough call. I taught in college for 17 years (not Duke), and there were definitely times I would swear in class (well, not the F-bomb). Why? To get their attention, to wake them up, to emphasize a point, or when they were being particularly obtuse. I only had one student ever complain to the Dean, who basically told the student to get a life, I had top ratings as a prof. I don't think that coaches ought be addressing the other team or coach (swearing or not). Obviously, with or without this rule, the coach needs to be circumspect with regard to the refs. But I think if the coach says "D***it, ref, that was a terrible call", I really doubt that it deserves a technical. I don't know how much latitude the refs will have, probably not a whole lot. It should be interesting in some games.

feldspar
10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
But I think if the coach says "D***it, ref, that was a terrible call", I really doubt that it deserves a technical. I don't know how much latitude the refs will have, probably not a whole lot. It should be interesting in some games.

Bottom line is that a line has to be drawn. If you don't draw a line (ie, make a rule), people are able to do pretty much whatever you want.

The NCAA drew that line at profanity. D*** it constitutes profanity.

And, it's less about how much latitude the refs have, and more about how much latitude the refs give to the coaches.