PDA

View Full Version : Cory Alexander is...?

cruxer
12-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Since I just finished watching us get blown out on mute, I thought I'd cheer myself up by thinking of all the Cory's (or Corey's) I'd rather hear call a college basketball game. I thought I'd share this with the group in case someone else needs this therapy.

I'll start.

I'd rather hear Corey Haim call the next game.

Indoor66
12-31-2016, 02:13 PM
You really need to get to the core of the issue.

Karl Beem
12-31-2016, 02:13 PM
Since I just finished watching us get blown out on mute, I thought I'd cheer myself up by thinking of all the Cory's (or Corey's) I'd rather hear call a college basketball game. I thought I'd share this with the group in case someone else needs this therapy.

I'll start.

Agreed.

WiJoe
12-31-2016, 02:15 PM
couzens is BAD, too.

Makes me long for Billy Packer (seriously; look him up, kiddies).

ChrisP
12-31-2016, 02:16 PM
I vote for Corey Hart :cool: @night

wavedukefan70s
12-31-2016, 02:17 PM
Thats who that was.he was talking out of his rear for most of the first half .i cut the sound off for second half.

kshepinthehouse
12-31-2016, 02:21 PM
He kept calling for the ACC to suspend Grayson. What difference does it make who suspended him. He is suspended, isn't that what everyone wanted? Smh

ChrisP
12-31-2016, 02:23 PM
He kept calling for the ACC to suspend Grayson. What difference does it make who suspended him. He is suspended, isn't that what everyone wanted? Smh

He wants Grayson on Double Secret Probation!!!

westwall
12-31-2016, 02:30 PM

I'll start.

Shhh ! Please kill this thread.. If ESPN learns of it, we will be getting C Alexander EVERY game.

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Oh man, you guys didn't enjoy hearing him giving his worthless opinion for 4 straight minutes while VT was kicking our I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in on the court?

duke4ever19
12-31-2016, 02:48 PM
I would enjoy having the option of watching a Duke game on TV (or internet stream) with only crowd noise like I'm at the game. Like a way to mute the announcer feed if I didn't care to hear them.

Yesterday ESPN offered the option of watching FSU vs Michigan without play-by-play (it was sky cam footage, I think) and I realized how much more I enjoyed it than the alternative.

msdukie
12-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Len Elmore >>>>>>> Cory Alexander.

This is the world we live in.

91devil
12-31-2016, 02:50 PM
I thought they were going to have a "Grayson Cam" the entire game, with a shot of him in a little picture in the corner of the screen. ESPN did enough of that in the first half, anyway.

Double Standard
12-31-2016, 02:58 PM
ESPN gave him a week to come up with hot takes, and the best he could come up with was to demand a suspension for someone that's already suspended. He's not very bright.

fuse
12-31-2016, 03:03 PM
I realize this is a fan board and (myself included) we are all prone to exaggeration.

No person should be called an abomination.
It would be great if the thread title was something more apt, like Commentary on Corey Alexander's Commentary.

I think we are better than this as a community.

Bob Green
12-31-2016, 03:10 PM
ESPN gave him a week to come up with hot takes, and the best he could come up with was to demand a suspension for someone that's already suspended. He's not very bright.

You completely missed his point. He was deriding the ACC for allowing Coach K to handle the suspension and more importantly the terms of the suspension. He was accusing the ACC of a double standard or a kow tow attitude toward Coach K and Duke. He used previous high profile suspensions, which were handled by the ACC not the team coach as evidence of that double standard.

I'm not agreeing with him or defending him but I do not believe it is very bright to accuse him of being not very bright.

BandAlum83
12-31-2016, 03:11 PM
He wants Grayson on Double Secret Probation!!!

Split screen probation.

My goodness, was there even a play by play announcer? I wanted to know who was drawing fouls! I wanted to know who was checking in.

These guys proved they know nothing about Duke basketball. I was screaming at the screen!

Double Standard
12-31-2016, 03:13 PM

There are other words that would be appropriate, but DBR censors them.

CDu
12-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Split screen probation.

My goodness, was there even a play by play announcer? I wanted to know who was drawing fouls! I wanted to know who was checking in.

These guys proved they know nothing about Duke basketball. I was screaming at the screen!

In fairness, it is not like Duke basketball was giving them much of a game to analyze.

Kjeffrey
12-31-2016, 03:17 PM
You completely missed his point. He was deriding the ACC for allowing Coach K to handle the suspension and more importantly the terms of the suspension. He was accusing the ACC of a double standard or a kow tow attitude toward Coach K and Duke. He used previous high profile suspensions, which were handled by the ACC not the team coach as evidence of that double standard.

I'm not agreeing with him or defending him but I do not believe it is very bright to accuse him of being not very bright.

Just curious...were those suspensions handled by the ACC because the coaches weren't going to do anything on their own? If not, I do wonder why this situation was dealt with by a head coach. Maybe they just work together to decide what the punishment will be.

uh_no
12-31-2016, 03:20 PM
Just curious...were those suspensions handled by the ACC because the coaches weren't going to do anything on their own? If not, I do wonder why this situation was dealt with by a head coach. Maybe they just work together to decide what the punishment will be.

the infractions probably also occurred during league play...

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 03:36 PM
the infractions probably also occurred during league play...

Or because they were actually worthy of suspensions. Nut shots are a little different than trips when people aren't moving.

CoachJ10
12-31-2016, 03:42 PM
ESPN has been going downhill for a variety of reasons. Amateur and bush league commentators like Alexander are emblematic of that.

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 03:46 PM
ESPN has been going downhill for a variety of reasons. Amateur and bush league commentators like Alexander are emblematic of that.

No one has ever liked any of the ESPN color guys. I mean, he's pretty bad, but who is good? I actually like Daugherty, he entertains me. Knight was good. There is literally no one else I can stand. Bilas included. No one cares what you think about every single freaking call that is made. He used to be so good, then when he took Vitale's spot as the #1, he become insufferable.

Dan Bonner or Mike Gminski, every game. Hell, I really wouldn't mind Billy Packer.

Dukehky
12-31-2016, 03:49 PM
Part of the problem is that ESPN only hires ex-players anymore to do color. Like, there are talented people who know basketball really well who can call games. I would love if they put Russillo on college games. His career is sports, he knows what he's talking about. Just because Corey Alexander played basketball in college does not mean he's going to be a good color guy. Look at Battier. He is smart, eloquent, and unequivocally knows basketball, but he sucked at being a media guy.

It's kind of like how McShay really should be in the booth and not just on the sidelines for games (even though he played for Richmond)

Indoor66
12-31-2016, 03:51 PM
No one has ever liked any of the ESPN color guys. I mean, he's pretty bad, but who is good? I actually like Daugherty, he entertains me. Knight was good. There is literally no one else I can stand. Bilas included. No one cares what you think about every single freaking call that is made. He used to be so good, then when he took Vitale's spot as the #1, he become insufferable.

Dan Bonner or Mike Gminski, every game. Hell, I really wouldn't mind Billy Packer.

I agree with you. Most of these guys or gals should realize the some silence is golden. They all tend to fall in love with the sound of their own voice spouting their self declared brilliance.

uh_no
12-31-2016, 03:51 PM

i wouldn't mind anyone who could actually give an ounce of analysis....that's why i like at least when gruden is on MNF....he actually points out things you didn't know....doesn't just spiel whatever BS comes to the top of his head.....not once did I hear anyone talk about how duke was spreading to allow grayson easy lane access and the number of layups he was getting, or how grayson's absence actually impacted play on the floor other than generalities....or anything about how duke's defense was actually being broken down

and this is typical. there are so few good analysts left, there is nobody to look to and say "that is what a good analyst does"

kshepinthehouse
12-31-2016, 03:52 PM
I can't think of another incident where an ACC player was suspended for tripping. The other instances were when players punched someone a la Chris Paul.

duke4ever19
12-31-2016, 04:15 PM
I realize this is a fan board and (myself included) we are all prone to exaggeration.

It would be great if the thread title was something more apt, like Commentary on Corey Alexander's Commentary.

I think we are better than this as a community.

I agree. Instead say something more tactful like, "Corey Alexander is an a-word."

This way you leave it to the reader to fill in the blank, and gives you, the poster, plausible deniability. ;)

BD80
12-31-2016, 04:28 PM

I can't think of another incident where an ACC player was suspended for tripping. The other instances were when players punched someone a la Chris Paul.

But Alexander even ADMITTED that the examples he cited were PUNCHES. He voice trailed off as if even he realized how stupid his argument sounded.

BTW, Corey Haim died in 2010, but yes, I would still prefer him to Alexander.

Another I would prefer?

cruxer
12-31-2016, 04:31 PM
I don't mind the thread being renamed but since when was being called an 'abomination', especially on a sports forum, anything more than a mild insult? :confused:

I figured it was implied that we don't hate him, we hate his commentary.

NashvilleDevil
12-31-2016, 04:33 PM
A waste of this board's time. Hit mute put on Bob Harris if it's available or like I do put on some music. No analyst (other than Knight) has said anything that I've found interesting in about 20 years.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2016, 05:01 PM
I don't mind the thread being renamed but since when was being called an 'abomination', especially on a sports forum, anything more than a mild insult? :confused:

I figured it was implied that we don't hate him, we hate his commentary.

Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing.

Duke79UNLV77
12-31-2016, 06:16 PM
After Corey's indignation at both the ACC and Coach K for the handling of the situations, he concluded that he could not see a penalty beyond a 1-game suspension, based on precedent of actual punches. Brilliant!

OldPhiKap
12-31-2016, 06:22 PM

richmclean
12-31-2016, 06:51 PM
Did he really need to pre-empt while the game was going on to give his written speech? Fingernails on the chalk board whilst we were getting mugged. Maybe better that way ...

weezie
12-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Oh man, we're sinking to "ic"k level now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2017, 04:43 AM

I'll start.

How about a duo of Corey Booker and our own Corey Maggette?

/that's all I got

DU70
01-01-2017, 08:24 PM
10 minutes in I sent a text to my long ago roomie: "I only thought Vitale was bad."

Troublemaker
01-01-2017, 08:39 PM
In fairness, it is not like Duke basketball was giving them much of a game to analyze.

They could analyze what is going wrong for Duke (or right for VaTech). If the commentators need a back-and-forth, highly competitive game to analyze, they probably won't encounter that even 50% of the time. They could show examples of Duke's transition defense and analyze where the breakdowns were, for example.

weezie
01-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Corey Alexander is....probably sitting in his den in his barca-lounger, wearing some faded hoo swag, checking football scores and enjoying our attention.

wavedukefan70s
01-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Corey Alexander is...probably sitting in his den in his barca-lounger, wearing some faded hoo swag, checking football scores and enjoying our attention.

As long as he isnt on tv ....😁

lotusland
01-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Corey Feldman knows little about ACC basketball but he's a fine dancer for the halftime show
https://youtu.be/CPfC5bjdr0Y

fuse
01-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Ok, poking fun at myself and reviving this thread.

Corey Alexander taught me something new on the FSU broadcast tonight.

You can only be invited back to be a Duke assistant coach if you were a Duke basketball captain. I had no idea! :rolleyes:

arnie
01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Ok, poking fun at myself and reviving this thread.

Corey Alexander taught me something new on the FSU broadcast tonight.

You can only be invited back to be a Duke assistant coach if you were a Duke basketball captain. I had no idea! :rolleyes:

He's not as bad as usual. Any particular reason we get him constantly?

wavedukefan70s
01-10-2017, 09:07 PM
They read D.B.R 😆
While looking for drinkerbiddle.

Bluedog
01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
I actually think he's been pretty decent this FSU game...better than some on ESPN.

Kjeffrey
01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
I actually think he's been pretty decent this FSU game...better than some on ESPN.

I agree completely.

WiJoe
01-10-2017, 10:40 PM
He flat out s*cks. Talks about wearing a team down in a basketball game. Scoring the basketball. Duh.

Brutal

Awful

Gory

jv001
01-10-2017, 10:50 PM
He flat out s*cks. Talks about wearing a team down in a basketball game. Scoring the basketball. Duh.

Brutal

Awful

Gory

I agree with this. GoDuke!

weezie
01-11-2017, 07:50 AM
He's a miracle worker. I'm almost at the point of wondering where Len Elmore is....

left_hook_lacey
01-11-2017, 07:54 AM

I agree with Bluedog. I don't think he's been intolerable at all. Maybe I'm biased because he played during what I consider the best years of the ACC(my childhood/teens), but I find him refreshing, more knowledgeable and legit since he was a star in the league.

bluedev_92
01-11-2017, 08:23 AM
I agree with Bluedog. I don't think he's been intolerable at all. Maybe I'm biased because he played during what I consider the best years of the ACC(my childhood/teens), but I find him refreshing, more knowledgeable and legit since he was a star in the league.

I'll admit, I don't pay too much attention to what these guys say - I'm more wrapped up in the game, but he didn't seem bad to me last night...

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-11-2017, 08:35 AM
I'll admit, I don't pay too much attention to what these guys say - I'm more wrapped up in the game, but he didn't seem bad to me last night...

Me, too. Most are just a droning background noise. Bless their insignificant hearts.
Love, Ima