PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Allen Appreciation Thread...

ChrisP
12-24-2016, 11:10 AM
I kinda hope the players don't read this board but...on the off chance they do, I just wanted to post a few positive thoughts on our man, Grayson Allen in what is likeliest one of his darkest hours.

Dear Grayson,

I admire your passion, your talent and your intensity. You play the game of basketball the way I wish I could do any number of things in life - which is to say, extremely well and seemingly without fear. I love having you as a representative of my Alma Mater and, when the time is right, I will cheer loudly and raucously when you return to the basketball court.

However, at the end of the day, you don't need to worry about what I or anyone else besides your coaches, family and teammates think of you. Just be you. Remember, there will, sadly, always be people who boo you and hate you - it's part of playing for the best coach in the land and one of the most successful programs ever. The best response you can give the haters is to play your game to the very best of your abilities. I'm proud you are a Blue Devil and I truly hope you can view recent events as an opportunity, not as a curse. You have a chance to reflect and grow as a person and a player and I have no doubt you'll be a better man for it. Keep your head up, learn from your mistakes and know that you have a whole bunch of people in your corner. Happy Holidays and, as always...GO DUKE! :cool:

mgtr
12-24-2016, 11:31 AM
I kinda hope the players don't read this board but...on the off chance they do, I just wanted to post a few positive thoughts on our man, Grayson Allen in what is likeliest one of his darkest hours.

Dear Grayson,

I admire your passion, your talent and your intensity. You play the game of basketball the way I wish I could do any number of things in life - which is to say, extremely well and seemingly without fear. I love having you as a representative of my Alma Mater and, when the time is right, I will cheer loudly and raucously when you return to the basketball court.

However, at the end of the day, you don't need to worry about what I or anyone else besides your coaches, family and teammates think of you. Just be you. Remember, there will, sadly, always be people who boo you and hate you - it's part of playing for the best coach in the land and one of the most successful programs ever. The best response you can give the haters is to play your game to the very best of your abilities. I'm proud you are a Blue Devil and I truly hope you can view recent events as an opportunity, not as a curse. You have a chance to reflect and grow as a person and a player and I have no doubt you'll be a better man for it. Keep your head up, learn from your mistakes and know that you have a whole bunch of people in your corner. Happy Holidays and, as always...GO DUKE! :cool:

I absolutely double down on this. Grayson, you need to get healthy and play your game.

Doria
12-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Yep, you need to take care of yourself. Only then, will you be able to take care of, and help, others. I'm sure it is hard right now, but I hope you can enjoy the holidays with your family. At the end of the day, the loved ones in your life are more important than anything else, and I know they will support you.

Fish80
12-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Grayson, I love your game. And I'm so sorry the media response is so over the top. Get healthy and get perspective. Trust Coach. And know that whatever comes next, you have many passionate fans supporting you.

DukePA
12-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Dear Grayson,

Love this. Yes, Grayson, many of us are absolutely in your corner. Just remember that it is how we handle difficulties that defines us and that is a great thing because we have the power to be our best selves despite adversity. We have all done things we are not proud of, and that we regret, but what did we do about it? I have confidence that you will be a much more fantastic person than you ever knew you could be once you're through this period.

Hang tough, know this is temporary and use this time to empower yourself and lead by the example of excellence. Forever Duke!

OZ
12-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Grayson,

Take care of yourself FIRST. You have the best there is in your corner... family, Coach K, your teammates and friends. We will be pulling for you on your journey and be here when you get back.

slower
12-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Grayson,

We have your back, young fella. We know that you are a high-quality human being.

Don't EVER listen to the haters, because you'll always have them, as long as you're associated with Duke. It's mostly straight-up jealousy, bro. Don't let it slow you down.

Run your own race. Your intensity is why we love you, man.

WWBD
12-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks for this thread.

Grayson, there was a point during the 2015-2016 season when I thought "this kid is going to win a title every year he is at Duke. He just refuses to lose." Of course, basketball is a team game and Duke simply didn't have enough horses last year.

I've been following Duke for twenty years and you are responsible for some of the most memorable "oh my god" highlights I have ever seen. You are responsible for our 2015 title. You have always conducted yourself admirably in interviews, and you've handled the pressure of being the Duke public enemy #1 basically since you arrived on campus.

Thanks so much for wearing the Duke uniform. Can't wait to see you back on the court whenever the time is right.

richardjackson199
12-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Dear Grayson,

Agreed 100%.

weksray
12-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Agreed 100%.

great thread.

Grayson,

Envelop yourself with those you love and who love you. Accept their advice and help.Everything will turn out well. You will indeed
accomplish the goals and dreams you have for yourself.
Thank you for loving Duke and giving it all you have. Know that you have been appreciated by many.
Looking forward to your return !

mailman2927
12-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Grayson,

Keep your head up. We've all made mistakes in our lives. I've never even spoken to you but I'm positive you are a great kid. Coach K. wouldn't have recruited you if you weren't. I'm a proud fan of both you and Duke basketball, and will forever be in your corner. Just remember, tough times don't last, tough people do.

moonpie23
12-24-2016, 02:49 PM
we are with you, buddy!! we've got your back.......... get on back to getting buckets.....

love you, man...

MPandolfi
12-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Agree with every post in this thread. Your fire and passion are what set you apart. Do what's best for you and ignore the negativity.

You're my son's favorite player to ever lace them up, and I'm proud to say that.

weezie
12-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Love your game and your heart Grayson! You've got this Crustie cheering for you. Can't wait for you to get back to the business of buckets!

miramar
12-24-2016, 06:09 PM
So it's the perfect time to spend a few days at home with your family and friends, who are the people who count most. Take your time and when you come back you can be sure that you will have 100% support from the Duke community.

And one more thing. Ignore every single meme except for this one:

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/4360691.jpg

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2016, 10:29 PM
I'll offer my sincere appreciative thoughts after Grayson walks off Coach K Court for his last time, victorious over the hated Heels, giving a long and heartfelt hug to the guy that brought him to Duke.

Now is not that time, but of course he has my support until that day arrives.

Devilwin
12-25-2016, 05:13 AM
Not one of us is perfect. We've all made mistakes over and over. That being said, learn from this as a man does. You're still young, and have lots of time to recover from this, as I am certain you will. Your skill and intensity are going to be missed, but I have confidence in you. Let the haters hate. Like someone else said here, it's hatred born of pure green eyed jealousy. And when you return, show the world what Grayson Allen is really made of.
Let's see the kid that turned the tide against Wisconsin in the title game in 2015. I know he's still in there. Ignore the rhetoric and catcalls.You know it's coming. Ignore it and make them pay for it on the court. Channel the energy into positive realms, and you'll be fine. We have your back here. Now go get 'em!!

stedge
12-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Merry Christmas, Grayson.

Furniture
12-25-2016, 09:45 AM
I am with you Grayson.

53n206
12-25-2016, 04:57 PM
Wonderful post. I hope Grayson has a chance to read the post re Steve Kerr.

jv001
12-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Dear Grayson,

Grayson I have no doubt you will reach each goal Coach K sets for you because you will go about it the same way you play the game of basketball. You never give up. God bless you and I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. GoDuke and GoGrayson!

grossbus
12-26-2016, 08:36 AM
I concur, 100%.

slower
01-08-2017, 02:48 PM
http://grantland.com/features/mark-t...love-for-duke/

For anybody who has forgotten, or may not be aware, here's Grantland's Mark Titus, in an article written while Grayson was IN HIGH SCHOOL, proclaiming that:

"I know plenty of you are keeping the flames of Duke hatred burning, and I thank you for your service. And if you’re dreaming of a more appropriately loathsome Duke team next year, help is on the way. I’m fairly certain incoming freshman Grayson Allen will take fewer than 20 games to become the most hated player in college basketball."

There has NEVER been a player set up for hate like Grayson.

F the haters - all day long and twice on Sundays. And today is Sunday. :p

jwillfan
01-08-2017, 03:17 PM

I always go back to this and glad it's still there:

http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2010/04/morning-champs.html

"Well, I'm no better than the average dude. So I have a sincere message for everyone who hates Duke and isn't intelligent or sanguine enough to see the positive side:

Go F yourself."

edited for the wanker filter. Worth a read every so often to remind you the world mostly hates us because we're good and the appropriate response.

BTW thanks for the grantland link because it in turn links to a great youtube of Grayson dominating in his state championship game, including some sweet blocks and no-look passes. He was great then, the only question was could he do it at the next level and I think we know the answer to that!

jv001
01-08-2017, 04:51 PM
http://grantland.com/features/mark-t...love-for-duke/

For anybody who has forgotten, or may not be aware, here's Grantland's Mark Titus, in an article written while Grayson was IN HIGH SCHOOL, proclaiming that:

"I know plenty of you are keeping the flames of Duke hatred burning, and I thank you for your service. And if you’re dreaming of a more appropriately loathsome Duke team next year, help is on the way. I’m fairly certain incoming freshman Grayson Allen will take fewer than 20 games to become the most hated player in college basketball."

There has NEVER been a player set up for hate like Grayson.

Seth had some very good things to say about Duke. However I was somewhat shocked to hear him say it was stupid to have Zoubs miss the second FT in the 2010 NCAA Championship game. GoDuke!

Papa John
01-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Seth had some very good things to say about Duke. However I was somewhat shocked to hear him say it was stupid to have Zoubs miss the second FT in the 2010 NCAA Championship game. GoDuke!

After all, Seth won how many championships? Oh, right... none... Never mind...