PDA

View Full Version : Teach A Kid To Fish Clinic April 29th, 2017

Devilwin
12-23-2016, 08:00 PM
For the last ten years, I have been an instructor in the High Point Parks And Recreation's Teach A Kid To Fish Clinic. It began when the City Lake Park's program director and I were thinking of some kind of nature activity for children. We came up with Teach a Kid To Fish. We got the NC Wildlife Resources Commission involved, and today our class is rated number one of its type in the south eastern US. We are very proud of our event.
The event not only teaches the kids how to fish, they actually get a couple of hours to fish for really nice prizes, including kayaks, camping gear, fishing rods, etc.
We teach them nature conservation, boating safety, and species identification, among other things.
My job is head instructor, and I teach the kids how to identify animal species indigenous to NC, and how to be good stewards of the environment.
The NCWRC sends rangers to observe each year, and we always grade out to 99%!
We always need volunteers to help out, and if anyone would be interested you can contact me here. The event is very popular, and always fills up.
We provide everything, including lunch (usually pizza from Lubrano's), and the class is free.
We feel it's imperative to get our young people interested in the out of doors, and maybe they will get involved in doing things other than "gaming", or getting into things they shouldn't. It's really gratifying to see the smiles on the kid's faces when they catch their first fish, really priceless.
I will post more on the event as the date approaches, maybe some of you can make it out to help. You won't regret it, we have several folks that come every year.
It's at High Point City Lake Park, near Jamestown.

Doria
12-23-2016, 09:41 PM
That sounds so awesome! I'm sorry I don't live here, or I'd totally be down for helping out.

Congrats on the well-deserved rating!