PDA

View Full Version : Carrie Fisher passes (1956-2016)

JasonEvans
12-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Carrie Fisher, who will always and forever be known as Princess Leia to the entire world, apparently suffered a pretty bad heart attack (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-carrie-fisher-cardiac-20161223-story.html) on a plane today. She is currently in critical condition in a LA hospital.

Thoughts and prayers with one of the most famous women on Earth, who never really seemed to enjoy the fame... well... or maybe she enjoyed it a bit too much. Anyway, hoping she recovers soon!

fuse
12-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Breaks my heart. Wishing a full and speedy recovery.
I'm not ready to see this part of my childhood fade out to become one with the Force.

JasonEvans
12-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Her brother says (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/carrie-fisher-suffers-heart-attack-plane-report-959091) she is out of the emergency room and is no longer in critical condition but folks who were on the plane say she was not breathing at one point, which raises the possibility of brain damage.

davekay1971
12-23-2016, 09:17 PM
Her brother says (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/carrie-fisher-suffers-heart-attack-plane-report-959091) she is out of the emergency room and is no longer in critical condition but folks who were on the plane say she was not breathing at one point, which raises the possibility of brain damage.

Educated (hopefully) guess here, but if there was any evidence of anoxic brain injury, she would certainly still be listed in critical condition. The protocol, at this point, for a myocardial infarction with anoxic brain injury is "icing" the patient - cooling body temperature with ice which requires Cardiac CCU level care and intubation/sedation. If she had a heart attack which caused cardiac arrest and was not breathing, but is currently not in critical condition, I think it's a safe assumption that she was resuscitated promptly enough to avoid any anoxic brain injury. Great news for her, if that's the case, to have survived an MI and cardiac arrest and already be out of critical condition.

Doria
12-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Always sad to see people getting sick, injured, etc., especially at the holidays. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

bjornolf
12-24-2016, 04:29 AM
Huge bummer. Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

moonpie23
12-24-2016, 08:03 AM
good to hear she is hangin in there.....

JasonEvans
12-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Apparently the earlier reports that seemed somewhat positive were erroneous. Carrie's brother is being tight-lipped about her condition but she is in the ICU. I have a bad feeling about this...

fuse
12-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Apparently the earlier reports that seemed somewhat positive were erroneous. Carrie's brother is being tight-lipped about her condition but she is in the ICU. I have a bad feeling about this...

I see what you did there....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-24-2016, 10:54 AM
I see what you did there...

The odds of surviving a cardiac episode on a transcontinental flight are approximately...

Oh, I can't do it. Hope she pulls through.

JasonEvans
12-24-2016, 03:38 PM
I see what you did there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsXEToflqGs

davekay1971
12-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Article from ET Canada sounds pretty grim. Apparently the cardiac arrest occurred about 15 minutes before the plane landed. While passengers and crew responded with CPR, the article reads as if CPR was still ongoing when the plane landed and the EMS team met them. Given that planes should all have AEDs, if CPR was still ongoing, that would mean the AED didn't successfully terminate the cardiac arrest. Which means 15 + minutes with no pulse and with continuous CPR. The odds of surviving that are low. The odds of surviving that without anoxic brain injury are even lower. Her brother, in this article, clarifies that he never said she was in stable condition, and that she remains in the ICU with a very unsure status. I read that to mean she may very well be intubated, and she may not be fully or appropriately responsive. A tremendous amount of conjecture here, but IF she did, indeed, have a cardiac arrest without successful restoration of rhythm by AED, and she was pulseless for the remainder of the flight and still critically ill, her prognosis is not good.

Hopefully her we will get some good news soon to paint a better picture.

OldPhiKap
12-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Carrie apparently passed away. Sad.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/27/carrie-fisher-dead/

(Not a source I would usually link, but this is kinda what they do)

JasonEvans
12-27-2016, 01:09 PM
Hey 2016... go @&@#&*@!^!^ yourself!!! David Bowie, George Michael, Gene Wilder, John Glen, florence Henderson, Alan Thicke, and many more... I hate you 2016!

Carrie apparently passed away. Sad.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/27/carrie-fisher-dead/

(Not a source I would usually link, but this is kinda what they do)

Numerous other outlets are now reporting it. Tragic. Too young. Though it is worth noting that her 20s and 30s were years where she put her body through a good bit of abuse.

It may be unseemly to mention, but Colin Treverow (writer and director of Star Wars 9) is probably really upset today. Princess Leia was supposed to play a major, major role in the end of the latest trilogy. I wonder if they will deal with this via reshoots and rewriting Rian Johnson's Ep 8 (which is already shot and in post-production).

-Jason "sorry, but her role as Princess Leia is what defined her life for many of us" Evans

Tripping William
12-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Hey 2016... go @&@#&*@!^!^ yourself!!! David Bowie, George Michael, Gene Wilder, John Glen, florence Henderson, Alan Thicke, and many more... I hate you 2016!

Numerous other outlets are now reporting it. Tragic. Too young. Though it is worth noting that her 20s and 30s were years where she put her body through a good bit of abuse.

It may be unseemly to mention, but Colin Treverow (writer and director of Star Wars 9) is probably really upset today. Princess Leia was supposed to play a major, major role in the end of the latest trilogy. I wonder if they will deal with this via reshoots and rewriting Rian Johnson's Ep 8 (which is already shot and in post-production).

-Jason "sorry, but her role as Princess Leia is what defined her life for many of us" Evans

As if 2016's Grim Reaper taking that list, plus The Greatest, and The King, and Prince wasn't enough . . . . .

alteran
12-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Seriously, @%#$ 2016.

She was awesome in so many ways. This really bums me out.

JasonEvans
12-27-2016, 01:30 PM

I forgot about Prince. Ugh.

Also Alan Rickman, Glen Frey, Garry Shandling, Nancy Reagan, Ken Howard, Muhammed Ali, Arnold Palmer, Morley Safer, Gary Marshall, Robert Vaughn, Fidel Castro, and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

I hate 2016...

OldPhiKap
12-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Also Alan Rickman, Glen Frey, Garry Shandling, Nancy Reagan, Ken Howard, Muhammed Ali, Arnold Palmer, Morley Safer, Gary Marshall, Robert Vaughn, Fidel Castro, and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

I hate 2016...

Emerson, Lake, and Vigoda . . . .

(Ron Glass from Barney Miller too)

Edouble
12-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Yeah, can't help but think of this. A really important lesson to remember. The party has dire consequences.

bjornolf
12-27-2016, 01:57 PM
RIP Carrie Fisher. You will forever be my favorite Disney Princess.

JasonEvans
12-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Little known fact about Carrie Fisher is that she was one of Hollywood's go-to script doctors in the 90s. A script doctor is someone called in to polish up dialogue and enhance scenes. sometimes the doctoring goes beyond that. Sometimes it is merely a consultation role where the doctor is asked to give notes and suggestions for making the script better. Script doctors are rarely credited onscreen but can be hugely valuable. Quentin Tarantino really got his start in Hollywood as a script doctor. Aaron Sorkin, Patton Oswald, and Joss Whedon are probably the most famous script doctors in Hollywood today.

Well, Carrie Fisher was a script doctor on Lethal Weapon, Hook, Sister Act, Outbreak, The River Wild, and The Wedding Singer among many others (it is often not known when a script doctor is used on a film). She actually got her start in the trade by rewriting many of her scenes in Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi. George Lucas apparently recognized her talent and let her make changes where she saw fit.

Many say she was a far more talented writer than actress.

-Jason "so sad... Princess Leia was one of the iconic, strong females in film history" Evans

CrazyNotCrazie
12-27-2016, 02:28 PM
She will first and foremost always be Princess Leia to me and many others, the iconic female character of my childhood. But I also thought her role in When Harry Met Sally was noteworthy, one of my favorite movies of all time. And her role in Blues Brothers. Her sassiness is unmatched.

Looking back, it is amazing to me how young she was when she played some of her biggest roles - she lived a very full life.

fuse
12-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Truly at a loss for words.

Doria
12-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Very sad. Can't wait for a new year.

While people have remarked on her substance abuse problems, it's noteworthy that she devoted time and energy to openly discussing these problems. I have read (and known) multiple people who have said that her willingness to give a face to substance abuse helped them when they were struggling at the beginning of their sobriety.

Yeah, I don't know what they will do about Episode VIII.

JasonEvans
12-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I don't know what they will do about Episode VIII.

My bet is that they address is in Episode 9. Ep 8 is wrapped and in post. I am sure Rian Johnson is saying, "my movie is fine. Let Colin deal with it."

-Jason "and I bet Colin is saying, 'hey, Kathleen, what do you want me to do?'" Evans

Wander
12-27-2016, 03:29 PM
My bet is that they address is in Episode 9. Ep 8 is wrapped and in post. I am sure Rian Johnson is saying, "my movie is fine. Let Colin deal with it."

-Jason "and I bet Colin is saying, 'hey, Kathleen, what do you want me to do?'" Evans

Perhaps Leia dies in Episode 8 anyway? It is, after all, supposed to be the "dark one" if they're mimicking the original trilogy.

Devilwin
12-27-2016, 03:32 PM
People are already saying, "well, that's three!" Celebs usually die in threes. Zsa Zsa, George Michael, now Carrie. But we shouldn't forget the many others noted above that left us this year.:(

duke74
12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
People are already saying, "well, that's three!" Celebs usually die in threes. Zsa Zsa, George Michael, now Carrie. But we shouldn't forget the many others noted above that left us this year.:(

Or, as you note, in multiples of threes this year. What a terrible year. 😢

CameronBornAndBred
12-27-2016, 05:43 PM
RIP Carrie Fisher. You will forever be my favorite Disney Princess.

Technically, she was a Disney General.

RIP. I don't know why, but one my favorite roles of hers was her fun cameo as the nun in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Maybe because she showed she had a "f#*kit, this is fun" attitude. (Mark Hamill did the same with his turn as Cock Blocker.)

Very cool to learn about her script doctoring, I had no idea.

jipops
12-27-2016, 11:15 PM
Rewatched Force Awakens tonight. Not a dry eye in my house amongst the wife, kids, and me...of course. I'm counting on coming out of the theater misty eyed when we go see Rogue One again.

moonpie23
12-27-2016, 11:18 PM
i can not stress how much 2016 has sucked....

bjornolf
12-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Does anyone think her passing will give Rogue One a further box office boost, and will it cause Episode VIII to blow up even more?

Dukehky
12-28-2016, 11:02 AM

I hate 2016...

Don't forget America...

Prince, man. I just want to see you laughing in that Purple Rain

JasonEvans
12-28-2016, 08:49 PM
1950s and 60s screen legend Debbie Reynolds just died (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/debbie-reynolds-dead-dies-carrie-fisher-mother-1201949432/)... in recent years she was most famous for being Carrie Fisher's mother. She had a stroke. Her son (Carrie's brother) Todd Fisher said, "She wanted to be with Carrie."

Wow... just wow.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-28-2016, 08:50 PM
And now her mother, Debbie Reynolds, has died. Very sad.

Tripping William
12-28-2016, 08:54 PM
1950s and 60s screen legend Debbie Reynolds just died (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/debbie-reynolds-dead-dies-carrie-fisher-mother-1201949432/)... in recent years she was most famous for being Carrie Fisher's mother. She had a stroke. Her son (Carrie's brother) Todd Fisher said, "She wanted to be with Carrie."

Wow... just wow.

Can someone please keep Betty White safe for a few more days? [Wanker]in' 2016.

PackMan97
12-28-2016, 10:35 PM

Betty White is six years older than sliced bread, she's not going anywhere!

aimo
12-28-2016, 10:51 PM

Don't worry, this guy's on it!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2016/12/28/man-launches-gofundme-protect-betty-white-2016/95904556/

JasonEvans
02-14-2017, 04:43 PM
OK, someone needs to immediately put Mark Hamill in bubble wrap and seal him in a safe room.

Harrison Ford just almost crashed his private plane into an American airliners 737!
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/harrison-ford-airplane-incident-federal-aviation-administration-1201988435/

OldPhiKap
02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
OK, someone needs to immediately put Mark Hamill in bubble wrap and seal him in a safe room.

Harrison Ford just almost crashed his private plane into an American airliners 737!
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/harrison-ford-airplane-incident-federal-aviation-administration-1201988435/

That's two incidents in a two or three year span. May be time to give up the old pilot's licence there, Han.

devildeac
02-14-2017, 05:30 PM
That's two incidents in a two or three year span. May be time to give up the old pilot's licence there, Han.

Or maybe he could fly so lo(w) that, never mind. Sorry. :o:rolleyes:

El_Diablo
02-14-2017, 09:15 PM

"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh...everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

BD80
02-15-2017, 12:16 AM

He needs Chewy in the co-pilot seat!

crimsondevil
02-15-2017, 01:03 AM
"Landing an airplane ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a 737 or bounce too close to a golf course and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

Tom B.
02-15-2017, 12:39 PM

I bet he had a bad feeling about that.

cspan37421
02-15-2017, 01:42 PM
He was just trying to see if he could still make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

PackMan97
02-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Laught it up fuzzball.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2017, 01:55 PM
To be fair, he was probably distracted with his son turning to the dark side and all.

Being a parent is tough.

Indoor66
02-15-2017, 02:04 PM
To be fair, he was probably distracted with his son turning to the dark side and all.

Being a parent is tough.

But bring old is tougher!

weezie
02-15-2017, 11:48 PM
He's nuts. Drop the net.