PDA

View Full Version : Azubuike Out for Season(KU)

Spanarkel
12-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Major setback for the Jayhawks as raw but formidable center Udoka Azubuike has suffered a season-ending wrist injury. Hopes for a speedy and full recovery(source:ESPN).

ipatent
12-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Too bad for the kid and the program.

Indoor66
12-23-2016, 09:44 AM
I never like to see any kid get injured. I wish him 100% recovery and a successful career. I am also sorry for the Kansas team and fans. It is always a shame when this happens.

Doria
12-23-2016, 10:39 AM
That sucks; I'm sure anyone who follows team sports can commiserate here. Hope he has a full recovery, with minimal discomfort. Best wishes to the kid (not extended to KS as a whole, of course).

gam7
12-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Major setback for the Jayhawks as raw but formidable center Udoka Azubuike has suffered a season-ending wrist injury. Hopes for a speedy and full recovery(source:ESPN).

The silver lining for KU is that if Azubuike had played just one more game, Kansas would have had to have made the the final of its conference tournament and the NCAa Championship game for Azubuike to be eligible for a medical redshirt. Having played in 11 games, Azubuike has a better chance to get the med hardship waiver. Kansas will need to play in 6 games between their conference and NCAA tourneys. If they make the finals of their conf tourney, they need to make it to the sweet 16 for azubuike to be eligible. If they lose in the semis of their conf tourney, they need to make a regional championship game in the NCAAs. Kansas should play enough games for him to qualify, but it is far from a lock.

Of course this only becomes relevant if Azubuike doesn't leave early...

kAzE
12-24-2016, 06:48 AM
Other than frank mason, this guy was the biggest reason we aren't undefeated. He was unstoppable on the boards in that game. Hope he's okay long term.

moonpie23
12-24-2016, 08:02 AM
bummer....hope he makes a full recovery....

Neals384
12-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Needed the box score to recall what he did against Duke: 6 pts, 12 boards, 3 TOs and 4 fouls in 15 minutes. Pretty much what you might expect from a raw talent.

mattman91
12-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Needed the box score to recall what he did against Duke: 6 pts, 12 boards, 3 TOs and 4 fouls in 15 minutes. Pretty much what you might expect from a raw talent.

Isn't their front court already a bit thin? This is a pretty big blow.

Hope the kid has a speedy recovery.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Wish him a full and quick recovery.

Wahoo2000
12-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Another silver lining for Azubuike - an extra offseason and another year in college might enable him to refine his skills a little more and give him a better shot at sticking in the NBA, rather than being another guy drafted on potential who "busted" because they were so raw the teams didn't give them the time they needed to develop into a league player (for some guys where Azubuike is, that can take 3/4/5 years, and you can often be labeled as a "bust" by then and unable to get any more chances/contracts).

Not that he was necessarily going to declare this year, but I'm sure it was a possibility. Might be better for him since that option would seem to be off-the-table now.

Troublemaker
12-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Isn't their front court already a bit thin? This is a pretty big blow.

Hope the kid has a speedy recovery.

Yeah, he was their highest upside big, so it probably lowers KU's ceiling a bit. I think if he were healthy, they'd have wanted to gradually build him up to playing 20 minutes consistently by postseason play.