PDA

View Full Version : Dec 2016 and into 2017 optimist thread

MarkD83
12-22-2016, 02:58 PM
So, over the past few days there is lots of negative news we are discussing. I will include the UNC 2nd ANOA in this since it is inherently "negative issue" (UNC taking advantage of student-athletes).

For a change of pace and to make things more positive here is a list of optimistic things related to Duke basketball:

1. Matt and Amile are doing great things as upper class captains, including consistently providing what the team needs to win ball games.
2. Despite injuries and the flux it causes with the rotation Duke is 12-1, with the only loss coming after Frank hit a clutch 3 and Kansas responding in the last possession of the game.
3. Everyone is healthy and has been on the court. They are in different stages of being game ready, but I was happy to see a smile on Harry's face. After a two year ordeal I am sure he is happy to be out on the court again.
4. Luke has stepped up. Even the commentators last night mentioned that over the summer he dedicated himself to get better so that he would be in the rotation. The commentators mentioned that he could have sulked and then transferred but instead is perhaps the best player on the court for Duke.
5. Chase has also stepped up. His improvement is not as noticeable as Luke's but he is being brought in as a viable replacement in the front court. There were actually a few plays in the past few games where he aggressively went after offensive rebounds and got the put backs. They did not show up in the box score because a foul was called on the shot before the rebound. Nonetheless, he does not look at all tentative on the court.
6. Jayson is only 5 games back from an injury and shows signs of dominating on the court. It was mentioned in the Elon thread that he has the tendency of getting the ball and not passing it, but that is easily correctable in the next 10 days. Once that is fixed, he IS the unguardable stretch 4 that Coach K always likes to have to create offensive and defensive mis-matches.
7. Frank is also showing flashes of not being a freshman. He has been hitting some clutch shots (see point 2 up above) and is able to handle the ball to get the offense going.
8. Marques is also healthy and like Harry, big men take the longest time to adjust to college basketball.

Feel free to add to the optimism thread (and no I do not have and will not get a 39-1 tattoo.)

DavidBenAkiva
12-22-2016, 03:16 PM
So, over the past few days there is lots of negative news we are discussing. I will include the UNC 2nd ANOA in this since it is inherently "negative issue" (UNC taking advantage of student-athletes).

For a change of pace and to make things more positive here is a list of optimistic things related to Duke basketball:

1. Matt and Amile are doing great things as upper class captains, including consistently providing what the team needs to win ball games.
2. Despite injuries and the flux it causes with the rotation Duke is 12-1, with the only loss coming after Frank hit a clutch 3 and Kansas responding in the last possession of the game.
3. Everyone is healthy and has been on the court. They are in different stages of being game ready, but I was happy to see a smile on Harry's face. After a two year ordeal I am sure he is happy to be out on the court again.
4. Luke has stepped up. Even the commentators last night mentioned that over the summer he dedicated himself to get better so that he would be in the rotation. The commentators mentioned that he could have sulked and then transferred but instead is perhaps the best player on the court for Duke.
5. Chase has also stepped up. His improvement is not as noticeable as Luke's but he is being brought in as a viable replacement in the front court. There were actually a few plays in the past few games where he aggressively went after offensive rebounds and got the put backs. They did not show up in the box score because a foul was called on the shot before the rebound. Nonetheless, he does not look at all tentative on the court.
6. Jayson is only 5 games back from an injury and shows signs of dominating on the court. It was mentioned in the Elon thread that he has the tendency of getting the ball and not passing it, but that is easily correctable in the next 10 days. Once that is fixed, he IS the unguardable stretch 4 that Coach K always likes to have to create offensive and defensive mis-matches.
7. Frank is also showing flashes of not being a freshman. He has been hitting some clutch shots (see point 2 up above) and is able to handle the ball to get the offense going.
8. Marques is also healthy and like Harry, big men take the longest time to adjust to college basketball.

Feel free to add to the optimism thread (and no I do not have and will not get a 39-1 tattoo.)

Thanks for getting this thread started. Can we talk about Jayson Tatum's defense yet? Holy hell he is a force on the basketball court. He gets blocks, rebounds, steals, and serves as a general disruptive force on that end of the court. Between Jefferson and Tatum, the interior defense is really picking up. In fact, Duke has, even despite recent struggles against Tennessee State and Elon, steadily improved its defensive efficiency. The team is now in the top 10 for KenPom adjusted defensive efficiency. I think this is largely attributable to Tatum. A lineup featuring Jackson, Jones, Tatum, Jefferson, and either of Bolden or Giles could be awfully difficult to score against.

Doria
12-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Yeah, adding on to what DavidBenAkiva said, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by our defense right now. Is it where I want it to be in March? Obviously not, but I see a lot of potential in, and have a lot of optimism for, our defense, and that's something I feel like I haven't been able to say since 2015.

Also, yes, thanks for starting this thread. It's nice to have a place for positivity, as we approach Christmas (or insert other holiday of choice!).

jv001
12-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks for getting this thread started. Can we talk about Jayson Tatum's defense yet? Holy hell he is a force on the basketball court. He gets blocks, rebounds, steals, and serves as a general disruptive force on that end of the court. Between Jefferson and Tatum, the interior defense is really picking up. In fact, Duke has, even despite recent struggles against Tennessee State and Elon, steadily improved its defensive efficiency. The team is now in the top 10 for KenPom adjusted defensive efficiency. I think this is largely attributable to Tatum. A lineup featuring Jackson, Jones, Tatum, Jefferson, and either of Bolden or Giles could be awfully difficult to score against.

Your lineup will not get that many minutes without Kennard. I know he's not the best defender, but he has to get 35-40 minutes until Grayson returns. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2016, 04:07 PM
We have so many weapons, our offense will be positively explosive at times in the next three months.

I can see us simply outscoring teams with our options once we get the ball movement where it needs to be.

theschwartz
12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
I can't wait to see Giles once he's healthy and confident. It was great for him to get some action these last couple games. I think he's gonna work extremely hard these next 9 days to get himself in great shape by the time ACC play rolls around.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2016, 06:11 PM
We are Duke.

We have Coach K.

I am optimistic about how this team grows, bumps and all, into our March tourney team.

BD80
12-22-2016, 09:05 PM
8. Marques is also healthy and like Harry, big men take the longest time to adjust to college basketball. ...

In a sense, Grayson's suspension could mark a sea change for this team. Grayson was the pre-season POY candidate, and the focus of the team. Last year, Grayson was effective as the "go to" guy, but there were limitations. With Luke playing so well in a similar role, reliance on Grayson is not as important, and it appears that Tatum will nicely fill the role Ingram occupied so effectively, plus we have Amile and Giles to add scoring in the post.

I get the feeling that Grayson's return from suspension will require the acceptance of the rest of the team. This will be a bonding experience as well as a humbling experience for Grayson. Grayson will not come back as the "go to guy," but as a guy that has to work to regain the trust of his teammates and his coaches.

Having Grayson knocked down a peg or so will allow him to occupy more of the role he had in our championship year, a heat seeking missile fired from the flank, rather than as the focal point of the offense. Making Grayson work his way back into the starting line-up will give the team the "next-man up" attitude, giving Tatum and Kennard the reins to become team leaders, and giving Giles the opportunity to earn a starting role.

In all, Grayson's punishment reinforces the coaches' confidence in the rest of the team and the principle that no one player is more important than the team.

richardjackson199
12-22-2016, 09:32 PM
What happened last night was absolutely the last thing anybody wanted. BUT... Coach K has an uncanny way of using adversity to bond a group of great players together into a team. I can definitely see that happening again here. The individuals will all improve personally and professionally, and the team will become incredible.

6th Man
12-22-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm really pulling for Giles to get it going. Not just for the team, but he seems like a great kid. In a time where NBA players are resting, college football stars are skipping bowl games, it is refreshing to see Giles attitude of wanting to just play the game.

DukieTiger
12-23-2016, 12:04 AM
Don't look now, but Duke has the #8 defense in KenPom. The offense has actually, shockingly, been the issue this week. Have to think that will work itself out.

UrinalCake
12-23-2016, 12:35 AM
Agree with BD80 that Luke has essentially replaced what we thought we would get from Grayson so far this season. Relative to what I thought heading into this season, I would say that Luke, Amile, and Jayson are performing above where I thought they would be. Frank started out above but has since drawn about even. Matt, Chase, Javin are about where I expected, while Grayson and Bolden are below, though injuries have of course played a huge role. Our defense overall is better than I had expected, while our offense is about even or maybe a tad below after the last two games.

So if we are able to get everyone fully healthy and Grayson can get his head on straight and not be distracted by the negative attention that will follow him the rest of the season, we have the potential to be an even better team that I expected coming into the season. And I expected that we would be the best team in the country by a lot. With that said, several other teams have also looked better than I expected - UCLA, Villanova, Kentucky - but I think we have the potential to made some huge improvements over the next three months.

dukelifer
12-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Agree with BD80 that Luke has essentially replaced what we thought we would get from Grayson so far this season. Relative to what I thought heading into this season, I would say that Luke, Amile, and Jayson are performing above where I thought they would be. Frank started out above but has since drawn about even. Matt, Chase, Javin are about where I expected, while Grayson and Bolden are below, though injuries have of course played a huge role. Our defense overall is better than I had expected, while our offense is about even or maybe a tad below after the last two games.

So if we are able to get everyone fully healthy and Grayson can get his head on straight and not be distracted by the negative attention that will follow him the rest of the season, we have the potential to be an even better team that I expected coming into the season. And I expected that we would be the best team in the country by a lot. With that said, several other teams have also looked better than I expected - UCLA, Villanova, Kentucky - but I think we have the potential to made some huge improvements over the next three months.
UCLA is certainly a surprise. They could be a very tough out in March.

Saratoga2
12-23-2016, 08:22 AM
At least for the time being, Frank will get more minutes and perhaps his overall game will show improvement. He is a very athletic and strong kid who can score. Playing with some of the starters on the floor can help him understand his defensive assignments better.

I expect a major effort by coach K to find a big man to play aside of Amile. Jayson could then be used more as a 3. We have Harry, Margues and Chase to choose from. If any of them starts to look like a force on the court, that will give the team another dimension. if 2 of them step forward, so much the better.

Grayson should return when his he meets coach K's requirements.

The combinations if everything goes well will be very hard to beat. Keep your fingers crossed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-23-2016, 08:32 AM
The combinations if everything goes well will be very hard to beat. Keep your fingers crossed.

yes! Find opportunity in challenges.

Spanarkel
12-23-2016, 08:32 AM
I can't wait to see Giles once he's healthy and confident. It was great for him to get some action these last couple games. I think he's gonna work extremely hard these next 9 days to get himself in great shape by the time ACC play rolls around.

Wholeheartedly agree! I love the picture on GoDuke.com of Harry shooting his jump hook against Elon(3rd picture from the beginning.

Volunteer Duke
12-23-2016, 01:45 PM
Checking in. I am very optimistic. We have the pieces to win number 6. Just need some time to get the kinks worked out.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Checking in. I am very optimistic. We have the pieces to win number 6. Just need some time to get the kinks worked out.

Win #6? Heck, we've already won 12! I think we have an excellent shot at getting to at least 15, possibly 18!

NYBri
12-23-2016, 04:52 PM
And I am optimistic about more opportunities to say:

9F!!!!

GLTBD
01-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Bump; would anyone like to post some positives? I could use some.

dragoneye776
01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Jeff Capel uses this opportunity (after today of course) to play a deeper bench giving our role players valuable minutes and experience that will help us out a ton in March. We may lose some games in this period, but Coach K will be back to finish developing this team, and by then we will have a deeper bench to work with.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-04-2017, 04:05 PM
I was looking long and hard for this thread to bump it yesterday... had no luck. Thought perhaps even our board had lost its optimism!

We still have a ton of talent and the best coach in history will be back shortly. Those who bet against us, do so at their peril!

Let's go Duke!!!

elvis14
01-04-2017, 04:21 PM
I'll admit that my optimism has taken a bit of a beating of late. But I also think that this Duke team has nowhere to go but up and our potential is huge. Hoping we start the upswing in about 2 and half hours....

Edouble
01-04-2017, 05:09 PM
I am highly optimistic. Top talent level at every position and a great head coach and associate head coach.

There is sooo much basketball left to play (eight more games this month!). We've just scratched the surface.

davekay1971
01-04-2017, 05:59 PM
When, in years to come, minstrels sing the Ballad of Duke Men's Basketball 2016-2017 (cumbersome title, I know), the Trials of December will be part of the glorious story of the climb to the championship. What's the glory of cruising through the entire season as the clear number 1 team. There has to be an Act 1 (the lofty expectations and strong start with signs of trouble), Act II (the litany of woes that seem to build an impassible mountain in front of Our Heroes), and Act III (the inspiring rise, conquering all challenges, ending in eternal glory).

DUKIE V(A)
01-04-2017, 06:10 PM
1. Coach K's surgery goes well and all of the injuries and challenges bond the "Band of Brothers."
2. Grayson sacrifices his scoring (somewhat) to concentrate more on being a penetrator and distributor and averages seven plus assists a game upon his return through early April. Frank follows Grayson's lead and our collective ball movement, scoring, and offensive efficiency improve. The offensive attack becomes a finely tuned thing of beauty rather than a bunch of talented individuals.
3. Jayson continues his improved play and Harry (as we have seen flashes of) becomes dominant within the next month.
4. Javin and Marques find a way to be defensive sparks off the bench.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Anyone bump this thread up over night? There's always room on the bandwagon...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2020, 07:46 AM
Just thought I might bump this thread in light of last night's game and this morning's knee-jerk reactions.

As ever, we all know our team isn't perfect and that there's plenty of room to criticize. But on this thread, we only post things that we are excited about, optimistic about, and our overly absurd positive outlook for our favorite basketball team. Think of it as that skit on SNL about Da Bears. Please, there are hundreds of other threads for nit-picking, kvetching, and discussing referees, Jay Bilas, and missed opportunities. This is for lionizing Tre Stones, building up Carey, and expecting Jack White to knock down some jumpers.

I sure don't envy VaTech this weekend! K's squad is gonna be loaded for bear.

jv001
02-20-2020, 08:53 AM
Great idea and I'll say this. Tre Jones has the heart of a warrior. He never gives up and by the games end he is visibly worn out. As in the past, I'm looking for Coach K to come up with a few surprises. Like zoning at times. He's done this before and against teams that beat us with penetration this could be a good weapon to have in our arsenal. Tre and Vernon are playing like All Americans and can use some help. I'm looking for Cassius to step up and be that 3rd player on offense. He can drive the ball and has been a pretty good outside shooter.

That's all I got right now.

GoDuke!

PS; We still got that comeback win against the cheats and have a butt whipping waiting for them on March 7th, 2020.

MCFinARL
02-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Great idea and I'll say this. Tre Jones has the heart of a warrior. He never gives up and by the games end he is visibly worn out. As in the past, I'm looking for Coach K to come up with a few surprises. Like zoning at times. He's done this before and against teams that beat us with penetration this could be a good weapon to have in our arsenal. Tre and Vernon are playing like All Americans and can use some help. I'm looking for Cassius to step up and be that 3rd player on offense. He can drive the ball and has been a pretty good outside shooter.

That's all I got right now.

GoDuke!

PS; We still got that comeback win against the cheats and have a butt whipping waiting for them on March 7th, 2020.

Also, really liked Tre's comments at the presser--no, it's not that we are young, because we have played a lot of games now. It's that we have to come out ready." Sounds like someone who is going to learn from this.

CameronBlue
02-20-2020, 10:19 AM
Let's go with the obvious ones my apologies if these have been mentioned elsewhere:

Duke is 22-4 and 12-3 in conference, tied for 1st in the loss column. Probably well above most folks' expectations for this team at the start of the year

Duke teams with more losses that have made trips to the FF: '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '01 (tied with four losses),'04, '10, '15 (tied)

This team started 3 freshmen and a sophomore last evening.

Road loss to a team that is fighting to be worthy of NCAA inclusion.

azzefkram
02-20-2020, 10:34 AM
This team started 3 freshmen and a sophomore last evening.

This explains last night loss. Duke played a man down.;)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2020, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't swap places with anyone else in the country.