PDA

View Full Version : Funny Recruiting Stories

DevilAlumna
10-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Given that in-homes have been going on, Fox Sport's compilation of some recruiting stories gone awry are pretty timely. And funny. Coach K even gets a mention.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7319228?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99

mgtr
10-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Good collection of stories. Probably every coach has a closetful.

Carlos
10-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I really, really like the Sheehey's dog.

JasonEvans
10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
I swear there was a great book I read years ago -- probably in the 1980s or maybe early 90s -- about recruiting football that was full of funny stories. It was a work of fiction but I recall it being written by a former head coach. I want to say it was written by Pepper Rodgers or maybe Bill Curry. It told the story of a college football coach recruiting a big-time stud (supposedly, it was loosely based on the recruitment of Hershel Walker).

I recall laughing a ton while reading it. I just cannot recall the name of the book right now.

-Jason

gw67
10-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I had heard the Sheehy dog story before. I believe that he was the top player on Dean's recruiting list that year.

Not a funny story but I could imagine one coming out of the recruiting visits to Georgetown and Kentucky. Apparently, the Hoyas have 14 recruits visiting tonight while the Wildcats have 13. Football often has a large contingent of recruits in for a weekend but there are several assistants to schmooze the youngsters and there are several different positions on the team. The kids at Georgetown and Kentucky can look around and size up the competition.

gw67

MIV
10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I swear there was a great book I read years ago -- probably in the 1980s or maybe early 90s -- about recruiting football that was full of funny stories. It was a work of fiction but I recall it being written by a former head coach. I want to say it was written by Pepper Rodgers or maybe Bill Curry. It told the story of a college football coach recruiting a big-time stud (supposedly, it was loosely based on the recruitment of Hershel Walker).

I recall laughing a ton while reading it. I just cannot recall the name of the book right now.

-Jason

Right you are. It was Pepper Rodgers. Pepper is quite a character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_and_Long_Gone