PDA

View Full Version : Let's Just Go Full Death Star Mode

slower
12-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Face it, Grayson is screwed. It doesn't matter WHAT he does - EVER - because the media will never let go of this. Personally, I'm tired of this red meat for haters.

I want these guys to circle the wagons. I want DeLaurier pogo-stick volleyball-spike blocks. I want Luke making people look silly. I want Amile pulling down MAN rebounds. I want blood-curdling screams after Harry rattles the rim. I want red-faced, irate K. I want a scorched earth. No prisoners. Accelerator to the floor.

Haters gonna hate. Make them pay. Make the fist and start punching.

devilsince1977
12-22-2016, 07:50 AM
I agree, Grayson and the rest of the team need to man-up, shut-up, and ignore everyone except their teammates and coaches. It it time to play through contact, ignore the referees, shut-up, and play ball. They need to galvanize into an us against the world mindset.

Indoor66
12-22-2016, 07:56 AM
What we need is a dose of H.o.y.a. Paranoia. 😈

slower
12-22-2016, 07:58 AM
And I think K, in his comments about Grayson, indicated that he's also sick of the BS. Let's roll.

weezie
12-22-2016, 08:38 AM
The "braying sports heads", including former players, think they have cornered K. This isn't a situation like Knight's or JoePa's. espn is reporting on this with the gravity of a terror attack.

As always, eyes on sells advertising revenue and college basketball is one of the best money makers for that threatened network.

K doesn't need me to do anything but stand and cheer and that's what he's going to get from me, in spades. Embrace the hate.

slower
12-22-2016, 08:47 AM
The "braying sports heads", including former players, think they have cornered K. This isn't a situation like Knight's or JoePa's. espn is reporting on this with the gravity of a terror attack.

As always, eyes on sells advertising revenue and college basketball is one of the best money makers for that threatened network.

K doesn't need me to do anything but stand and cheer and that's what he's going to get that from me, in spades. Embrace the hate.

Yep. Nobody puts K in the corner.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2016, 08:53 AM
How this team reacts to this distraction will likely dictate how our season progresses. It certainly has the potential to derail a fragile team. Or, it may galvanize a young team that is looking for its identity.

It will be a challenge for K. Regardless of how K and others choose to discipline Grayson for his actions, K has to communicate to the other players that they HAVE to unquestionably support one another.

K is up to the task, without question. Grayson has some work to do. But the most difficult part moving forward is more likely to be the work in the locker room instead of in front of press conferences.

Wander
12-22-2016, 09:09 AM
espn is reporting on this with the gravity of a terror attack.

There are currently EIGHT links to stories or videos on the ESPN front page about this. What the hell?

Yes, full Death Star mode. But without the exhaust port.

Ballboy1998
12-22-2016, 09:10 AM

K doesn't need me to do anything but stand and cheer and that's what he's going to get from me, in spades. Embrace the hate.

The coverage on espn right now is truly laughable. No less than three Grayson stories topping the front page. An update to unc's 20+ years of blatant cheating on the other hand? An all-text side blurb if you go to the NCAA-M sub-page.

Sportscenter in the morning before work/school has been a simple pleasure of mine for well over a decade, and I've given it up in the last year or so, not because of any political agenda on my end, but because they seem to spend about 10% of the time on actual sports highlights and recaps nowadays, and the other 90% on he-said-she-said manufactured scandals. If I wanted to watch soap operas, I'd tune in to the stations that air them. Now I have to go online to find actual recaps of games with highlights like Sportscenter used to show me. Can't say I'm sad to see that their ratings are tanking.

As to the original topic of this thread. I agree with the general sentiment. In sports it is always better to be feared than loved. 20+ years of Duke hatred took a chance to catch its breath around the 2014-15 season, but it is back in full throat. Duke is again the team everyone else loves to hate, so let's give them something worth hating by dominating and demoralizing our opponents on the court. Cut out any extracurriculars with the officials or otherwise, but take no prisoners on the court.

Indoor66
12-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Maybe WE should quit all of the focus on it.

Wander
12-22-2016, 09:46 AM

Yeah, it's not just ESPN. I mean, we've got at least a dozen people on DBR doing the armchair psychiatrist thing, and at least one guy who's literally never posted about anything other than Grayson tripping people.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Bingo.

slower
12-22-2016, 09:59 AM

Yeah, that's really my point. The team should not address this with the media any more - AT ALL. Tired of this nonsense.

But I want these guys to focus and come together and get a chip on their shoulder and have each other's backs (which I'm sure they do). Enough of this other nonsense.

quahog174
12-22-2016, 10:09 AM
There are currently EIGHT links to stories or videos on the ESPN front page about this. What the hell?

ESPN higher-ups with UNC ties were looking for a story to deflect attention from the news of the amended NOA coming out. What do they do? Full throttle with Grayson's tangle-up. Bilas and JWill jump on it too so as not to look like homers. Mission accomplished. We're suckers.

AvlDukie
12-22-2016, 10:14 AM
The original post in this thread is BY FAR the best take I have seen on this whole sordid mess...
Thank you for that, and GO DUKE!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
The original post in this thread is BY FAR the best take I have seen on this whole sordid mess...
Thank you for that, and GO DUKE!

Welcome to the fray... you are among (local) friends here.

One thing I can also promise you is that K is NOT going to be pleased to have to address this moving forward. He historically does not discuss details of disciplinary action and has a Bill Belichik tendency.

Dukehky
12-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Can we be something that doesn't get blown up in 3 different movies?

JasonEvans
12-22-2016, 10:41 AM
While I love the notion of this bringing the team together and leading to us pounding the world into submission -- goodness knows I hope it turns out that way -- I will merely note the creating a planet-eating unstoppable force of a team is a lot harder than it looks. We are coming off a week in which we trailed during the second half against two teams that will not sniff the top 100 in KenPom all season.

That said, I truly hope this becomes one of those "it's over" moments that brings everyone together with new focus and teamwork (like when Rasheed got kicked off the team 2 years ago).

slower
12-22-2016, 10:46 AM
While I love the notion of this bringing the team together and leading to us pounding the world into submission -- goodness knows I hope it turns out that way -- I will merely note the creating a planet-eating unstoppable force of a team is a lot harder than it looks. We are coming off a week in which we trailed during the second half against two teams that will not sniff the top 100 in KenPom all season.

That said, I truly hope this becomes one of those "it's over" moments that brings everyone together with new focus and teamwork (like when Rasheed got kicked off the team 2 years ago).

Oh, it may not be easy. We may not win it all. But I just want the attitude to be there. These guys need to play for themselves - THE TEAM - not for the media, not even for us. No more apologies. The hater universe will not accept their apologies, anyway. If haters want to try to kill us with a thousand cuts, let them bring it.

Release The Kraken.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2016, 10:49 AM
I have seen three efforts to build a Death Star or Death Star-like weapons system, and they all ended badly. Think of the budgetary concerns with yet another effort.

DukieInBrasil
12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
As to the original topic of this thread. I agree with the general sentiment. In sports it is always better to be feared than loved. 20+ years of Duke hatred took a chance to catch its breath around the 2014-15 season, but it is back in full throat. Duke is again the team everyone else loves to hate, so let's give them something worth hating by dominating and demoralizing our opponents on the court. Cut out any extracurriculars with the officials or otherwise, but take no prisoners on the court.

This is something that came up in the discussion of the TSU game. When we were up by 20, and still building that lead really, K took the foot off the gas and went to stall ball. We still won the game by 10 and there really wasn't a feasible way to lose, although some extraordinary choking could have happened i s'pose. At no time this season has K allowed the team to play full throttle all the way to the end. We've won by large margins against some weak opponents, and i appreciate the fact that K has no taste for rubbing it in against competitors he respects.
I wonder if K had let the team push the pace at the end vs TSU, if that would have had a psychological impact on the team and helped them elevate their engagement vs Elon. Instead we've become incredibly flat, almost one-dimensional, like the team has lost its metaphorical taste for blood as the alpha hunters.
I have no idea how this team will come out vs. VaTech, but if we do show some fire, if we do get a nice lead (15+) in the second half, will K try to push that lead higher all the way to the end? Will he let the air out of the ball and just be satisfied with whatever happens?

slower
12-22-2016, 12:07 PM
This is something that came up in the discussion of the TSU game. When we were up by 20, and still building that lead really, K took the foot off the gas and went to stall ball. We still won the game by 10 and there really wasn't a feasible way to lose, although some extraordinary choking could have happened i s'pose. At no time this season has K allowed the team to play full throttle all the way to the end. We've won by large margins against some weak opponents, and i appreciate the fact that K has no taste for rubbing it in against competitors he respects.
I wonder if K had let the team push the pace at the end vs TSU, if that would have had a psychological impact on the team and helped them elevate their engagement vs Elon. Instead we've become incredibly flat, almost one-dimensional, like the team has lost its metaphorical taste for blood as the alpha hunters.
I have no idea how this team will come out vs. VaTech, but if we do show some fire, if we do get a nice lead (15+) in the second half, will K try to push that lead higher all the way to the end? Will he let the air out of the ball and just be satisfied with whatever happens?
I wasn't advocating any unseemly piling on against overmatched opponents. However, if teams get chippy with us, I want destruction.

DukieInBrasil
12-22-2016, 12:12 PM
I wasn't advocating any unseemly piling on against overmatched opponents. However, if teams get chippy with us, I want destruction.

i appreciate that, and i fully expect VaTech to have some chippiness in them, as they usually seem to have some. I also want destruction, and that's what i was getting at with my musings about a theoretical 2nd half 15pt lead, will K opt for the potential for destruction or the safety of stall ball?

rsvman
12-22-2016, 02:02 PM
He will almost certainly opt for stall ball. It's what he does.
Also, almost all the time it has its intended effect; viz., we win the game.

K is devoted to it. He finds it especially valuable come tournament time, so he will take every chance he can find to practice it during the regular season.

Might as well get used to it. I am at peace with it.

Doria
12-22-2016, 02:54 PM
He will almost certainly opt for stall ball. It's what he does.
Also, almost all the time it has its intended effect; viz., we win the game.

K is devoted to it. He finds it especially valuable come tournament time, so he will take every chance he can find to practice it during the regular season.

Might as well get used to it. I am at peace with it.

In keeping with the thread, that sounds suspiciously like being "at peace with the force." ;)

mdj
12-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Face it, Grayson is screwed. It doesn't matter WHAT he does - EVER - because the media will never let go of this. Personally, I'm tired of this red meat for haters.

I want these guys to circle the wagons. I want DeLaurier pogo-stick volleyball-spike blocks. I want Luke making people look silly. I want Amile pulling down MAN rebounds. I want blood-curdling screams after Harry rattles the rim. I want red-faced, irate K. I want a scorched earth. No prisoners. Accelerator to the floor.

Agree I'd reactivate him prior to the V Tech game. K should say that he had Draymond Green sit down with Grayson and he's been rehabbed.

Also, I've probably done something similar to what Grayson did in a pick up game. Do I need help? And if so how would I go about getting it?

rsvman
12-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Agree I'd reactivate him prior to the V Tech game. K should say that he had Draymond Green sit down with Grayson and he's been rehabbed.

Also, I've probably done something similar to what Grayson did in a pick up game. Do I need help? And if so how would I go about getting it?

I can guarantee you that Grayson will not play against Virginia Tech. Absolutely guaranteed.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2016, 03:46 PM
I can guarantee you that Grayson will not play against Virginia Tech. Absolutely guaranteed.

I doubt he even makes the trip. No pun intended.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2016, 03:51 PM

K said on DP this morning that he would be on the bench in Blacksburg.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2016, 03:52 PM

It depends - were you representing anyone other than yourself? What name was on the front of your jersey?

mdj
12-22-2016, 04:04 PM

Tongue in cheek, I realize he's going to have to sit out at least 1 game. I do think the outrage to that play is getting pretty far out of hand and wouldn't mind if K said something to that effect. Grayson sticking his leg out while he's getting beat is a foul and maybe even an intentional/technical foul but the he needs help stuff is a tad bit overblown.

Volunteer Duke
12-22-2016, 04:08 PM
This is what I have been advocating. Grayson just needs to accept that he's going to be hated beyond belief and embrace it.

All the members of the Duke family (I include the fans) need to rally together and defend this young man. He's one of us. Even if he makes a mistake, we should be there to support him and defend him. That's loyalty. That's brotherhood.

Sit him for a game or two, get Harry and Marques some more minutes, and then let's start kicking butt and become the team we all thought we could be by the ACC tournament.

This is Duke. This is the greatest basketball program in the country.

jv001
12-22-2016, 05:12 PM
This is what I have been advocating. Grayson just needs to accept that he's going to be hated beyond belief and embrace it.

All the members of the Duke family (I include the fans) need to rally together and defend this young man. He's one of us. Even if he makes a mistake, we should be there to support him and defend him. That's loyalty. That's brotherhood.

Sit him for a game or two, get Harry and Marques some more minutes, and then let's start kicking butt and become the team we all thought we could be by the ACC tournament.

This is Duke. This is the greatest basketball program in the country.

Can't spork you, must spread more around. But here's a GoDuke!

Des Esseintes
12-22-2016, 06:40 PM
ESPN is going to overreact, but repeatedly tripping opponents is, in fact, plain bizarre. On top of that, the cameras caught a total sideline breakdown. At a slow news point in the week, it's hardly surprising a lot of focus would be on this oddity the very next day after the play. We can be mad at everyone else, but the unfortunate truth is that Grayson created this distraction for his team. And he did so in a meaningless game to gain a meaningless advantage. I hope the team comes together, too, but I have a hard time finding fault with the folks gawking at something I'd *definitely* find remarkable coming from an opposing player.

BD80
12-22-2016, 06:52 PM
ESPN is going to overreact, but repeatedly tripping opponents is, in fact, plain bizarre. On top of that, the cameras caught a total sideline breakdown. At a slow news point in the week, it's hardly surprising a lot of focus would be on this oddity the very next day after the play. ...

Well, there was something about one of the biggest college programs getting a 3rd NOA including allegations directly against the basketball and football teams involving academic fraud that affected the eligibility of players over a 9 year period (or longer!).

sagegrouse
12-22-2016, 06:56 PM

My thoughts exactly. TSU was totally out of gas, and we let the Tigers catch their wind with our delay game. We shoulda won by 30, and it might have given us some momentum for Elon.

gus
12-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Well, there was something about one of the biggest college programs getting a 3rd NOA including allegations directly against the basketball and football teams involving academic fraud that affected the eligibility of players over a 9 year period (or longer!).

Des Esseintes should have been more clear: "...a slow news-that-ESPN-cares-to-talk-about point in the week..."

-bdbd
12-22-2016, 07:02 PM
How this team reacts to this distraction will likely dictate how our season progresses. It certainly has the potential to derail a fragile team. Or, it may galvanize a young team that is looking for its identity.

It will be a challenge for K. Regardless of how K and others choose to discipline Grayson for his actions, K has to communicate to the other players that they HAVE to unquestionably support one another.

K is up to the task, without question. Grayson has some work to do. But the most difficult part moving forward is more likely to be the work in the locker room instead of in front of press conferences.

THINK OF IT AS ALL NOISE. All that matters is how our team/players react. Circle the wagons -- it is "us against them." I like the "Hoya Paranoia" analogy. Let's see K bend all of the negative energy coming our way into something positive and motivational for this group. Make it an OPPORTUNITY.

GO DUKE!
Haters gonna hate.

davekay1971
12-22-2016, 07:56 PM
THINK OF IT AS ALL NOISE. All that matters is how our team/players react. Circle the wagons -- it is "us against them." I like the "Hoya Paranoia" analogy. Let's see K bend all of the negative energy coming our way into something positive and motivational for this group. Make it an OPPORTUNITY.

GO DUKE!
Haters gonna hate.

Entirely with this post and with this thread. And I think K, while publicly suspending Grayson and privately, I am sure, telling him to get his ish together and stop the tripping OR ELSE, will use the furor over this to help both Grayson, and the team, grow in many ways. This team will not come apart from this, it will come together. And with the talent these guys have...

But, yeah, change the Death Star analogy. Those never work out well. Instead, think Hulk giving Loki the "puny god" treatment.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2016, 08:13 PM
K said on DP this morning that he would be on the bench in Blacksburg.

Hokies will be making signs all week.

Fish80
12-22-2016, 08:23 PM
They can make friggin crop circles, I don't care. Beat the stuffing out of them.

szstark
12-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Hokies will be making signs all week.

They are on semester break until mid-January. I think the dorms are closed. There might not be that many students at the game.

superdave
12-24-2016, 10:24 AM
We're suckers.

I dont watch SportCenter any more and rarely go to the website. When I want to read about Duke hoops, I come here or go to the Fayetteveille and Raleigh newspapers.

You dont need Espn as much as you used to, thankfully.

SupaDave
03-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Found this by accident. Looks like you got it. Hopefully there's more to come.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-13-2017, 06:41 PM
It seemed from the postgame interviews after our ACCT win that the players definitely learned to embrace the criticism/drama/"hate" and use it to fuel them instead of distract them, as it seemed to do earlier this year.

They played with a chip on their shoulder in Brooklyn and it showed.

I REALLY like where we're at psychologically right now.

COYS
03-13-2017, 07:36 PM
It seemed from the postgame interviews after our ACCT win that the players definitely learned to embrace the criticism/drama/"hate" and use it to fuel them instead of distract them, as it seemed to do earlier this year.

They played with a chip on their shoulder in Brooklyn and it showed.

I REALLY like where we're at psychologically right now.

One of the best under-the-radar moments of the ACCT was when Grayson got tangled with one of Louisville's guards. As Grayson walked away with his hands up, Harry immediately jumped between Grayson and the Louisville player, not to separate them, but to show Louisville that if they messed with Grayson, they messed with him, too. The Duke Brotherhood is real.

duketaylor
03-13-2017, 07:46 PM
One of the best under-the-radar moments of the ACCT was when Grayson got tangled with one of Louisville's guards. As Grayson walked away with his hands up, Harry immediately jumped between Grayson and the Louisville player, not to separate them, but to show Louisville that if they messed with Grayson, they messed with him, too. The Duke Brotherhood is real.

Yes, and I love Harry for his love of the program. He is special; hopefully he's closer to healthy. Want more minutes for him!!