PDA

View Full Version : ACC Off-Season Football

Olympic Fan
12-19-2016, 03:03 PM
I was just reading a list of ACC players who have declared for the NFL draft and realized that the early exits are really going to help Duke's chances next season.

Already gone:
James Connors, Pitt
Deshaun Watson, Clemson
Mike Williams, Clemson
Leroy Gallman, Clemson
Artavis Scott, Clemson
Joe Yearby, Miami
Nazir Jones, UNC

The Clemson exodus doesn't impact Duke, but each of the other three are key players from our Division rivals. And it could get better for us. Also expected to leave:

Mitch Trubisky, UNC
Brad Kaaya, Miami
Bucky Hodges, VPI
Dalvin Cook, FSU

That's three more division rivals -- including two fine QBs -- plus we play FSU next year and not having to face Cook has to help.

There are a bunch more key players who MIGHT go pro early, including VPI's Isaiah Ford and UNC's Elijah Hood.

Just saying that a lot of our rivals are going to have to replace a bunch of key players.

For instance, Pitt loses QB Nate Peterman, Connors, their A-A defensive end (Price), their top WR (Ford) and their offensive coordinator.

UNC is already hit hard by graduation -- if they also lose Trubisky and maybe Hood, they take a big step back.

Miami would still have Walton at TB, but losing Kaaya would leave a big hole.

Va Tech returns Evans at QB and a nice core, but losing Hodges hurts -- losing Hodges AND Ford would hurt badly.

The point is that most of our Coastal rivals have big holes to fill this offseason.

We'll see how this story develops.

PS On a slight tangent, it's hard to believe how lucky the Cheaters are -- they get Stanford in a bowl and the Cardinal's best player decides to sit out the bowl:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18310396/christian-mccaffrey-stanford-cardinal-skip-hyundai-sun-bowl

He would have rushed for 300 yards against the ACC's worst run defense. McCaffrey is not hurt -- he just wants to protect his draft status.

SCMatt33
12-19-2016, 03:09 PM
One thing to note on UNC is that if they do lose Trubisky, there is a chance they can land Malik Zaire as a replacement. Wisconsin was recently reported as the favorite, but UNC is a finalist for his services.

devildeac
12-19-2016, 03:16 PM
One thing to note on UNC is that if they do lose Trubisky, there is a chance they can land Malik Zaire as a replacement. Wisconsin was recently reported as the favorite, but UNC is a finalist for his services.

Wait, I thought the 4* dental billboard guy (Surratt?) who spurned Duke when the Hat and ol roy offered his younger brother a preferred walk-on spot on the hoops team was gonna replace Trubisky? :rolleyes:

Bob Green
12-19-2016, 03:50 PM
UNC is already hit hard by graduation -- if they also lose Trubisky and maybe Hood, they take a big step back.

It would be great news if Trubisky and Hood head to the NFL as Carolina's potent offense is already losing wide receivers Bug Howard, Ryan Switzer and Mack Hollins plus tailback T.J. Logan and place kicker Nick Weiler. That is a lot of skill position players to replace.

The #2 QB behind Trubisky is Nathan Elliot.

Virginia Tech is another team I absolutely desire to beat so the more Hokies who head to the NFL draft early the better.

TruBlu
12-19-2016, 03:59 PM
It would be great news if Trubisky and Hood head to the NFL as Carolina's potent offense is already losing wide receivers Bug Howard, Ryan Switzer and Mack Hollins plus tailback T.J. Logan and place kicker Nick Weiler. That is a lot of skill position players to replace.

The #2 QB behind Trubisky is Nathan Elliot.

Virginia Tech is another team I absolutely desire to beat so the more Hokies who head to the NFL draft early the better.

Switzer is finally leaving?!? He's been there since the mid 90's, hasn't he? At least it seems that way.

JasonEvans
12-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Switzer is finally leaving?!? He's been there since the mid 90's, hasn't he? At least it seems that way.

Yeah, I though he was on the 12 year eligibility plan.

Merlindevildog91
12-19-2016, 04:34 PM

Maybe he was taking real classes, so he could only take one at a time?

Wander
12-19-2016, 04:59 PM
PS On a slight tangent, it's hard to believe how lucky the Cheaters are -- they get Stanford in a bowl and the Cardinal's best player decides to sit out the bowl:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18310396/christian-mccaffrey-stanford-cardinal-skip-hyundai-sun-bowl

He would have rushed for 300 yards against the ACC's worst run defense. McCaffrey is not hurt -- he just wants to protect his draft status.

It's incredibly lame that players are just deciding to sit out bowls to "prepare for the draft" or whatever. Is there any better sign at how pathetically meaningless and stupid the bowl system is?

Hingeknocker
12-19-2016, 05:07 PM
It's incredibly lame that players are just deciding to sit out bowls to "prepare for the draft" or whatever. Is there any better sign at how pathetically meaningless and stupid the bowl system is?

The players are making sound investments for their future. If they were being more accurately compensated for their risk during their college careers, perhaps different decisions would be made.

And I don't think this is necessarily a referendum on the bowl system, either. In the vast majority of cases, the players, fans, and coaching staffs are heavily invested in the outcomes of bowl games, and they are enjoyable products for me to watch. In any case, if a particular bowl game or games is not interesting to you, they are easy to ignore. I don't think this rises to the level of meaningless or stupid, though.

Bob Green
12-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Is there any better sign at how pathetically meaningless and stupid the bowl system is?

I like watching bowl games. This time of year is great sports viewing for me with bowl games, college basketball and NFL teams trying to clinch play-off berths.

Avvocato
12-19-2016, 05:38 PM
In the spirit of the offseason Duke football thread, here is a recent espn.com blog post on Duke's season, which is pretty fair.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/97327/duke-season-review-injuries-end-bowl-streak-but-provide-silver-lining

As for the list of ACC early entries into the NFL draft, while Cook may be the best player we would have faced next season, FSU is the type of team that just reloads. I am happy to not have to face Dalvin Cook next season, but an experienced Francoise, a new wave of recruits, and whoever steps up for Cook will probably be top shelf. I think the departures for Va Tech, UNC and Miami would probably impact those teams more. Oh well. Too bad for them. In any case, bring them all on. As the blog above states, our young players got great experience on some big stages. I'm looking forward to seeing them step up more next season. Of course, the ACC in general is a much tougher league than it was even 2 years ago.

Bob Green
12-19-2016, 06:00 PM

This will be a good opportunity for Bryce Love to run all over/through the Tar Heels porous run defense. Love is from North Carolina (Wake Forest Rolesville High School) and is Stanford's second leading rusher. He is a sophomore and ran for 111 yards and a TD on seven carries against Rice in the regular season finale. For the season, Love rushed 90 times for 664 yards and three TDs.

EDIT: Against Notre Dame, when McCaffrey did not play, Love rushed 23 times for 129 yards and a TD.

CameronBornAndBred
12-19-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm totally up for seeing all of those QBs head out early, but there are only a limited number of teams in the NFL, and the ACC is just one conference. I'm assuming there will be more than a few more declaring from other conferences as well, plus more that are graduating. In such a crowded field, are those guys really thinking that another year won't help them out?
(Would specifically be thinking of Kaaya and Trubisky.)

Pghdukie
12-19-2016, 09:33 PM
I strongly believe that the entire bowl system is in total disarray. The whole bowl product is so diluted with bad games and bad teams that they have lost the glamour. A player,especially 1 that has been to previous bowls, just doesn't have the interest. If he's looking ahead - there's more important matters to consider. I just can't see anyone passing up the Rose, Orange, etc. But I surely can see a future Sunday player passing on a low tier game. Is it right ? Is your team important?
Cities host bowl games to promote their towns and to increase the local economy. I.e. Make money. A Sunday player likes to make money also.
My opinion - Cut the bowls to where a school has had a very good season and is rewarded with an invitation that each player can be proud to accept

Wander
12-20-2016, 09:27 AM
And I don't think this is necessarily a referendum on the bowl system, either. In the vast majority of cases, the players, fans, and coaching staffs are heavily invested in the outcomes of bowl games, and they are enjoyable products for me to watch.

Can you see a healthy player from a basketball powerhouse voluntarily sitting out the Sweet 16 to "prepare for the draft?"

SCMatt33
12-20-2016, 09:33 AM
I strongly believe that the entire bowl system is in total disarray. The whole bowl product is so diluted with bad games and bad teams that they have lost the glamour. A player,especially 1 that has been to previous bowls, just doesn't have the interest. If he's looking ahead - there's more important matters to consider. I just can't see anyone passing up the Rose, Orange, etc. But I surely can see a future Sunday player passing on a low tier game. Is it right ? Is your team important?
Cities host bowl games to promote their towns and to increase the local economy. I.e. Make money. A Sunday player likes to make money also.
My opinion - Cut the bowls to where a school has had a very good season and is rewarded with an invitation that each player can be proud to accept

So what does cutting bowl games really do? Would getting rid of the Auto Nation Cure Bowl really make McCaffery want to play in the Sun Bowl more? No. The fact is that all bowl games outside the Playoff are meaningless exhibitions. And that includes the non playoff NY6 games. Now the Rose, Orange, Sugar, etc. probably have enough history that people care about them on their own merits, but it would be ridiculous to think that only 12 teams should play in the postseason every year. Cutting low level bowl games only serves to take practice time from younger players, and keep G5 teams from getting a trip and $500 in bowl swag. It does nothing to increase the value of other bowl games. The middle bowls are devalued by the games at the top, not the games at the bottom.

I have zero problems with guys skipping a game that is meaningless. There's really only maybe 50 or so guys in any year who could realistically say they're risking more by playing than not playing. After your first and maybe second rounders, the opportunity to put more tape out there for scouts is big. You're game is guanteed to be seen pretty much and not get behind ten other games that day. If you aren't a guy like McCaffery or Fournette, GM's are gonna have serious questions about why you're skipping games. If you're stock isn't that high, why aren't you trying to improve it? Is it an attitude red flag? Is he hiding an injury already? There's just a different calculation at the very top.

Hingeknocker
12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Can you see a healthy player from a basketball powerhouse voluntarily sitting out the Sweet 16 to "prepare for the draft?"

No, but of course the type of catastrophic, draft-altering injury risk is much different in a basketball game than in a football game. And sitting out a non-playoff bowl game is much different than sitting out a Sweet 16 game. I don't think this comparison is particularly relevant.

rasputin
12-20-2016, 11:04 AM
There has been a lot of discussion about the "meaningless" bowls, but this is the system we have. These kids sign on to the team, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a commitment to play all the games on the team's schedule if the player is healthy and the coach thinks he's good enough to play. And that commitment is made, not just to the school, but to the coaching staff and to the kid's teammates. For the player's teammates who aren't pro prospects, playing in a bowl game, probably any bowl game, is meaningful, especially for the seniors who will be suiting up for the last time.

So, I think that a kid who is healthy and able to play in the bowl game, needs to play in the bowl game. There is insurance available for those pro prospect kids. Sitting out is, IMHO, an act of reprehensible selfishness, especially if the team loses a game they might otherwise win if the special snowflake hadn't sat out.

jimsumner
12-20-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm totally up for seeing all of those QBs head out early, but there are only a limited number of teams in the NFL, and the ACC is just one conference. I'm assuming there will be more than a few more declaring from other conferences as well, plus more that are graduating. In such a crowded field, are those guys really thinking that another year won't help them out?
(Would specifically be thinking of Kaaya and Trubisky.)

Trubisky is considered by many experts to be the best QB available and a likely top-10 pick.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article121719279.html

Hingeknocker
12-20-2016, 11:34 AM
There has been a lot of discussion about the "meaningless" bowls, but this is the system we have. These kids sign on to the team, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a commitment to play all the games on the team's schedule if the player is healthy and the coach thinks he's good enough to play. And that commitment is made, not just to the school, but to the coaching staff and to the kid's teammates. For the player's teammates who aren't pro prospects, playing in a bowl game, probably any bowl game, is meaningful, especially for the seniors who will be suiting up for the last time.

So, I think that a kid who is healthy and able to play in the bowl game, needs to play in the bowl game. There is insurance available for those pro prospect kids. Sitting out is, IMHO, an act of reprehensible selfishness, especially if the team loses a game they might otherwise win if the special snowflake hadn't sat out.

What of the fact that, as of yet, there has only been public support from McCaffrey's teammates? I haven't seen any teammates upset with either his or Fournette's decision.

And what of the fact that the insurance available pales in comparison to draft money? Last year's example, Jaylon Smith, had an insurance policy that paid him $900k. His fall in the draft from a potential Top-10 pick to the 2nd round cost him $20M on his first NFL contract.

At least we can agree that I am still rooting for Stanford to win (GTHC), but your insinuation that McCaffrey or Fournette is a "special snowflake" is laughable, especially in the context where these two players are *right now* incredibly marketable and valuable athletes, and are prohibited from accessing that value up until the point they are drafted. Would you seriously advise your own child to make a different decision than the one they have?

SCMatt33
12-20-2016, 11:56 AM

I'd agree more if the players had an option to do anything besides go to college. You throw around that they make a commitment as if there was a choice in the matter. There is no realistic path to the NFL besides college. You force kids into a system where they make well below market value, and then ask them to honor it as a sacred commitment. If they had legit professional options like baseball players or to a lesser extent basketball players going overseas, I could see the reasoning, but that just isn't the case.

Wander
12-20-2016, 01:07 PM
No, but of course the type of catastrophic, draft-altering injury risk is much different in a basketball game than in a football game. And sitting out a non-playoff bowl game is much different than sitting out a Sweet 16 game. I don't think this comparison is particularly relevant.

The point is that the players are not "heavily invested" in the outcome like you claim. Anyone who is "heavily invested" in the outcome of a game doesn't choose to sit out while healthy.

Hingeknocker
12-20-2016, 02:36 PM
The point is that the players are not "heavily invested" in the outcome like you claim. Anyone who is "heavily invested" in the outcome of a game doesn't choose to sit out while healthy.

My claim was that the *vast majority* of the players are indeed heavily invested in the outcomes of bowl games. McCaffrey, Fournette, or any other individual player choosing to sit out a game for personal financial reasons does not disprove this.

And if it's considered to be a problem that players are making this rational decision, then one very obvious solution is to give the players a financial incentive to risk their bodies while in college.

rasputin
12-20-2016, 03:04 PM
My claim was that the *vast majority* of the players are indeed heavily invested in the outcomes of bowl games. McCaffrey, Fournette, or any other individual player choosing to sit out a game for personal financial reasons does not disprove this.

And if it's considered to be a problem that players are making this rational decision, then one very obvious solution is to give the players a financial incentive to risk their bodies while in college.

The financial incentive is that they risk their bodies during athletic competition that is a showcase for their ability.

Hingeknocker
12-20-2016, 03:14 PM
The financial incentive is that they risk their bodies during athletic competition that is a showcase for their ability.

Which they have already done to a satisfactory level. At well below market rates for that entire time. As was pointed out, there really is no other path for a football player with NFL aspirations, so spare me the hysterics about a kid with a tremendous amount to lose deciding to stop assuming all of that risk for relative peanuts.

rasputin
12-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Which they have already done to a satisfactory level. At well below market rates for that entire time. As was pointed out, there really is no other path for a football player with NFL aspirations, so spare me the hysterics about a kid with a tremendous amount to lose deciding to stop assuming all of that risk for relative peanuts.

Hysterics?

Hingeknocker
12-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Hysterics?

You said: "Sitting out is, IMHO, an act of reprehensible selfishness, especially if the team loses a game they might otherwise win if the special snowflake hadn't sat out." I think that qualifies for at least one of the definitions of hysterical.

I don't think we're getting anywhere, but I do enjoy discussing this topic. Happy to take this to PM's to avoid derailing the thread.

On topic: I've seen it reported that Trubisky has been given a first-round grade by the NFL. If true, I have to imagine he's leaving. Landing Zaire would probably make UNC happy, but how much success have graduate-transfer QBs had over the past few years? Russell Wilson is an obvious success story, but I'm having trouble thinking of others.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-20-2016, 04:48 PM
You said: "Sitting out is, IMHO, an act of reprehensible selfishness, especially if the team loses a game they might otherwise win if the special snowflake hadn't sat out." I think that qualifies for at least one of the definitions of hysterical.

I don't think we're getting anywhere, but I do enjoy discussing this topic. Happy to take this to PM's to avoid derailing the thread.

On topic: I've seen it reported that Trubisky has been given a first-round grade by the NFL. If true, I have to imagine he's leaving. Landing Zaire would probably make UNC happy, but how much success have graduate-transfer QBs had over the past few years? Russell Wilson is an obvious success story, but I'm having trouble thinking of others.

Jake Rudock did very well at Michigan, and Golson from Notre Dame played at Florida State. And I think Oregon had a grad transfer QB last year? It is becoming a lot more common and impactful.

chrishoke
12-20-2016, 04:56 PM
All games for most college football teams are meaningless, not just the bowl games.

Hingeknocker
12-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Jake Rudock did very well at Michigan, and Golson from Notre Dame played at Florida State. And I think Oregon had a grad transfer QB last year? It is becoming a lot more common and impactful.

I forgot that Rudock was a grad transfer. He and Golson are good examples.

The Oregon QB from last year was Vernon Adams, who moved up from an FCS school (Eastern Washington I believe). My theory is that a QB grad transfer is more likely to be bust than boom, but someone moving up from FCS is more likely to be a boom. Not much evidence to go on, I admit.

Fwiw, Oregon tried the grad transfer QB again this year and it did not go well.

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Trubisky is considered by many experts to be the best QB available and a likely top-10 pick.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article121719279.html

Then I vote he leaves. (I'd vote he leaves even if his coaches told him he won't get drafted.)

Bob Green
01-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Carolina running back Elijah Hood has changed his mind and decided to declare for the NFL Draft:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article124970239.html

...after gathering more information and talking with my family, I believe it is in my best interest to declare for the NFL Draft and pursue my dream of being a professional football player...

devildeac
01-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Carolina running back Elijah Hood has changed his mind and decided to declare for the NFL Draft:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article124970239.html

Good decision. ;)

Ahhhh, see ya!

Nrrrrvous
01-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Evans, Ford and Hodges have now declared from VT. Add that to Sam Rogers who graduates along with several on the O-Line. The Hokies will NOT be the same team next season.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Good decision. ;)

Ahhhh, see ya!

Someday I'll be able to spork you again. And it will be for this post.

PackMan97
01-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Good decision for Hood! He wasn't being well used anyways.

Tribinsky should definitely be gone, but it's UNC so who knows. I know UNC really wants to keep their NFL QB streak alive, Tribinsky is a huge threat to that if he goes.

Some good news for NC State one of defensive stars, Chubb, has said he's coming back. I believe he led the ACC in tackles for a loss last year and was second this yar.

devildeac
01-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Someday I'll be able to spork you again. And it will be for this post.

Promiscuity, my friend. Speaking of which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=r-DTy776jVw

And yes, I do know the first male lead (the one with the Duke hat on, not the second male lead with the shades) in this (less than stellar quality) video.

Olympic Fan
01-07-2017, 11:27 AM

It's internet stuff, so take it for what it's worth, but the news is that Zaire has eliminated UNC - too many key weapons lost, plus the possibility of sanctions. However, he might give Virginia Tech a long look now that Evans is leaving. Supposedly, he'd like to find an SEC berth.

The other oddity is that Zaire won't decide until late spring, He's going to spend the winter semester working out with a private trainer in Arizona. That means he will miss spring practice. On the other hand, a team that loses its QB in spring could be in the mix.

Avvocato
01-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Add Trubisky to the list of players who declared for the NFL Draft. See: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18435663/north-carolina-tar-heels-qb-mitch-trubisky-declares-nfl-draft.

Olympic Fan
01-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Add Trubisky to the list of players who declared for the NFL Draft. See: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18435663/north-carolina-tar-heels-qb-mitch-trubisky-declares-nfl-draft.

It's amazing how much impact early NFL draft decisions are having on the Coastal Division.

UNC loses its QB Trubisky (plus Hood and Jones, their best DT). Plus, graduation wipes out their best WRs and most of their OL.

Miami loses QB Brad Kaaya and RB Joe Yearby.

Va Tech loses QB Jerod Evans (plus their two all-star WRs Bucky Hodges and Isaiah Ford)

Pitt loses RB James Connors ... plus QB Nate Peterman graduates (along with their All-American DE Price and their best WR, Ford)

Georgia Tech loses QB Justin Thomas to graduation

Duke and Virginia are the only to schools in the division who return their QBs.

Merlindevildog91
01-09-2017, 10:26 AM
It's amazing how much impact early NFL draft decisions are having on the Coastal Division.

UNC loses its QB Trubisky (plus Hood and Jones, their best DT). Plus, lack of eligibility, rather than graduation, wipes out their best WRs and most of their OL.

Miami loses QB Brad Kaaya and RB Joe Yearby.

Va Tech loses QB Jerod Evans (plus their two all-star WRs Bucky Hodges and Isaiah Ford)

Pitt loses RB James Connors ... plus QB Nate Peterman graduates (along with their All-American DE Price and their best WR, Ford)

Georgia Tech loses QB Justin Thomas to graduation

Duke and Virginia are the only to schools in the division who return their QBs.

FIFY.

Avvocato
01-24-2017, 01:01 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but ESPN.com has an update piece on Thomas Sirk. The focus is on him getting better, Sirk's desire to still play football, and just about him in general. It mentions that he would like to be healthy enough to compete for the starting job again, but not in a controversial way. He knows Jones is the starter, and they have become friends. Anyway, during the wait until signing day, I thought I would post.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98075/duke-qb-thomas-sirk-still-has-work-to-do-in-his-comeback-from-another-achilles-injury

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but ESPN.com has an update piece on Thomas Sirk. The focus is on him getting better, Sirk's desire to still play football, and just about him in general. It mentions that he would like to be healthy enough to compete for the starting job again, but not in a controversial way. He knows Jones is the starter, and they have become friends. Anyway, during the wait until signing day, I thought I would post.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98075/duke-qb-thomas-sirk-still-has-work-to-do-in-his-comeback-from-another-achilles-injury
Cool share.
Do we know when Cut is planning on starting Spring practice this year?

Avvocato
02-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Here's a piece on the opening of Duke's spring practice from the espn.com blog: http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98248/early-bird-duke-opens-spring-with-focus-on-getting-back-to-a-bowl. Nothing crazy, but something to read.

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 10:14 AM
What the heck? It ain't Spring yet.

chrishoke
02-03-2017, 10:20 AM
What the heck? It ain't Spring yet.

Our local groundhog says it is.:)

killerleft
02-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Our local groundhog says it is.:)

I've often wondered if 'local' groundhogs had the endorsement of Punxsy Phil, the original prognosticator. Maybe there's franchises for sale?

Gopher, Everett?

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 10:41 AM
I've often wondered if 'local' groundhogs had the endorsement of Punxsy Phil, the original prognosticator. Maybe there's franchises for sale?

Gopher, Everett?

Punxsy Phil has an exclusive gig. No Top Hats in NC.:cool:

OldPhiKap
02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Gopher, Everett?

"No thanks, killerleft. A third of a gopher would just arouse my hunger without quite bedding her down."

Bob Green
02-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Duke held their first spring practice session yesterday. Here is a photo gallery (http://www1.nmnathletics.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=2082758&DB_OEM_ID=4200) from GoDuke.com. Spring practice will run through March 4 when the Spring Showcase will be held. I have not heard whether or not the event will be open to the public.

2017 Spring Prospectus (http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5229608.pdf). Starters returning: seven offense, six defense, two special teams. Lots of information available for the fanatics.

Bob Green
02-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Practice #1 video recap (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5935398) with comments from Coach Cutcliffe. Paraphrasing:

- I'm not interested in plays, I'm interested in players.
- The focus is on fundamentals, techniques, habits, effort.
- Everything is not fixed with a scheme.

Bob Green
02-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Here is a nice interview (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211454994&DB_OEM_ID=4200) with defensive backs coach Derek Jones.

GoDuke.com: Through two days of practice, what has impressed you about the cornerback group?

Derek Jones: The effort and athleticism of the guys. I think we have some guys who give us a chance to have some real depth. That’s the one thing you always worry about at this level – getting guys hurt. That was evident for us last year when Breon Borders went down. We had Mark Gilbert able to step in. When you look at the Miami game, (Bryon) Fields goes down and all of a sudden you have to look to Jeremy McDuffie. I think that’s one thing we have -- guys who can play multiple positions. That’s always exciting.

Avvocato
02-14-2017, 12:13 PM
ESPN's ACC blog has posted a few pieces ranking several positions. You have to scroll down to see each one. Duke was listed as a potential sleeper of the league for its defensive line, 5th in linebackers and 4th in quarterback. I am sure they will be updating this over the next day or so. See: http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98383/acc-position-rankings-quarterback.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2017, 12:16 PM
ESPN's ACC blog has posted a few pieces ranking several positions. You have to scroll down to see each one. Duke was listed as a potential sleeper of the league for its defensive line, 5th in linebackers and 4th in quarterback. I am sure they will be updating this over the next day or so. See: http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98383/acc-position-rankings-quarterback.

Sounds good to me. Nice find, thanks for posting it!

Avvocato
02-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Here is an ESPN.com blog look at Duke's football schedule. Nothing too crazy. They are doing it for each team in the ACC. If anything, something to read about other than dismissals from the team. The writer discusses that Duke plays 10 bowl teams and had a very tough schedule. He thinks Duke's schedule looks like a 5-7 season, but believes that Jones and Cut will pull off an upset to get us to 6-6 and another bowl. While some may look at the above thinking the article is dismissive of Duke, it's not. It's actually complimentary of Daniel Jones, Cut and the program.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98534/acc-schedule-review-duke-blue-devils

Bob Green
02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Nice Q&A session (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211499926) with Jeff Faris on the wide receivers.

GoDuke.com: Who has developed as a leader among wide receivers?

JF: Without a doubt that’s Johnathan Lloyd. He leads by example on the field and in the meeting room every single day by the way he works. He can also get on guys; he’s a vocal leader as well. He has done a tremendous job this spring.

chrishoke
02-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Nice Q&A session (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211499926) with Jeff Faris on the wide receivers.

Lloyd has given up playing baseball for Duke in order to concentrate on football.

chrishoke
02-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Welcome to Duke 3 star WR from Mass. Jake Bobo. Bang bang Duke gang.

Avvocato
03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
A nice article on Daniel Jones, Duke's spring practice, and the state of the team in general from espn.com's ACC blog:

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/98681/with-spring-set-to-end-duke-qb-daniel-jones-firmly-in-control

One area I have been very interested in this spring has been the development of our younger receivers. The article talks about how Jones has not only taken over as a leader on the team, but how he has been working and developing chemistry with the receiving corp.

Jones noted that veterans T.J. Rahming and Chris Taylor had good springs, but he also said Aaron Young and redshirt freshman Scott Bracey (a four-star prospect in 2016) looked “really good. They’re both bigger guys who can use their size and strength.” In the slot, Johnathan Lloyd has given up baseball to concentrate on football full time, and Keyston Fuller has shown progress after missing last season with a knee injury.

Bob Green
03-03-2017, 10:50 PM
This statement stood out to me:

Duke keyed in a few areas of improvement during practice. One of them was getting better at the deep ball, an area in which the Blue Devils struggled a year ago. With more familiarity came better performance throughout the spring, and that was not lost on Jones.

The offense has to make the opponent's defense defend the entire field so the ability to stretch the defense vertically is important. Duke has done a good job running the ball (making the defense defend the box) as well as working wide receiver screens (making the defense defend sideline to sideline) but the missing element, the past two seasons, has been successfully throwing the ball deep over the top of the defense.

If we can improve performance on the deep ball, it will benefit the running game due to the opponent's safeties having to stay back out of the box.