PDA

View Full Version : K on Calipari's Podcast

Ichabod Drain
12-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Coach K joined John Calipari on his podcast recorded Thursday and to be released tomorrow.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mike-krzyzewski-defense-demarcus-cousins/story?id=44279127

Should be an interesting conversation.

sagegrouse
12-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Here's the link (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18309983/mike-krzyzewski-duke-blue-devils-coach-defends-demarcus-cousins-john-calipari-podcast) to the ESPN story.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-19-2016, 11:17 AM
It seems that K has more respect for Cal than most of us on this board. Not that it would be difficult to accomplish.

BD80
12-19-2016, 01:51 PM
It seems that K has more respect for Cal than most of us on this board. Not that it would be difficult to accomplish.

He would absolutely have too

juise
12-19-2016, 01:55 PM
He would absolutely have too

There is danger in not having a healthy respect for your opponents. K has been forced to master this concept after many years of facing Roy.

uh_no
12-19-2016, 03:37 PM

Whether K like him or not, he certainly has to be political, and even politicians don't go Preston Brooks anymore.

Edouble
12-19-2016, 03:52 PM
I heard Coach K brought along his old friend John Chaney and had him in the next room, in case Cal tried to take a cheap shot.

killerleft
12-19-2016, 06:11 PM
I heard Coach K brought along his old friend John Chaney and had him in the next room, in case Cal tried to take a cheap shot.

That would scare the bejeezus outta me! Seeing how Chaney is an ex-parrot, so to speak.

Edit: No he's not. LOL. But he'd still scare me!:o

-bdbd
12-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Isn't that sorta a given?? (Re the cheap shots...)

:confused:

weezie
12-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Loved it...peace and love, peace and love until the handshake at center court.

Billy Dat
12-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Loved it...peace and love, peace and love until the handshake at center court.

It is a very fun conversation to listen to, and I have a theory about the K/Cal relationship which this pod supports. Cal and K are not only from different generations (12 years difference in ages), but they are from different coaching trees - his primary mentor is Larry Brown, and you've heard the stuff that Knight has said about Cal, so the two guys are on opposite sides of the fence from the jump. The fact that they are now huge rivals only fans that flame. But, I think Cal secretly pines for some validation from K that he, Cal, is one of the best and K, being the arch competitor that he is, won't do so while they are still competing. There are many times when Cal heaps individual praise on K in this pod, and K responds not with individual praise of Cal, but deflections that talk about the quality of the Duke and Kentucky programs with legacies that predate both guys. I have never, ever, heard K give Cal any kind of really strong endorsement as a coach or leading figure in college hoops...ever...and I am sure it is intentional because they are competing against each other.

It's well worth a listen, and be prepared that in the 5 minutes or so before the interview, Cal is solo talking about the Kentucky program in his usual manner which might be too much for some to stomach but I always find it to be funny.