PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Tom Knotts

wavedukefan70s
12-17-2016, 10:09 PM
Former Duke player and assistant coach.he just won his 9th state title as a highschool coach.his team went 15-0 this season.his second title at Dutch fork highschool in irmo (columbia area)sc.i believe he is a great coach and deserved the shout out.
My apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum.

ipatent
12-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Congrats to Mr. Knotts. When did he play for Duke?

wavedukefan70s
12-17-2016, 11:04 PM
You know he may not have he may have just graduated or was a graduate assistant.my memory isnt was it was.either way ill look it up and correct it.either way hes a great coach.graduate assistant i would have bet money that he played.i cant correct it .its locked in.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-18-2016, 04:17 AM
He coached my alma mater to seven state championships (long after I graduated). Didn't know he had Duke pedigree.

Indoor66
12-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Could you grace us with notification of what sport we are talking about? What state?

Who, what, when, where and why.

sagegrouse
12-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Could you grace us with notification of what sport we are talking about? What state?

Who, what, when, where and why.

I presume this is HS football.

I also presume he is somehow related to Doug Knotts, one of Bill Murray's top assistants.

Dr. Livingston I. Presume. (What is your full name, Dr. Presume?)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-18-2016, 08:59 AM
I can confirm that he coached high school football in Charlotte in the late 90's.

killerleft
12-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Tom Knotts did indeed play and coach at Duke. He was a defensive back and recorded 62 tackles in 1978.

He was the final coach hired by Ted Roof for Roof's first full season as head coach in 2004. His dad and two uncles also lettered at Duke.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=147153

budwom
12-18-2016, 09:56 AM
also terrific in the Andy Griffith show...

killerleft
12-18-2016, 10:11 AM
also terrific in the Andy Griffith show...

Silly! That was his dad, Don. Kinda scrawny for a football player, though.:)

wavedukefan70s
12-02-2018, 11:29 PM
Tom Knotts' Dutch Fork team will play for state again this Saturday. 3 times in three years. Great coaching.

camion
12-03-2018, 12:54 AM
Tom knotts Dutch fork team will play for state again this Saturday. 3 times in three years. Great coaching.

Dutch Fork HS is in class AAAAA football in South Carolina. It’s about 15 miles northwest of Columbia off of I-26.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-03-2018, 06:40 AM
Tom knotts Dutch fork team will play for state again this Saturday. 3 times in three years. Great coaching.

This guy really is a machine. Before he coached my alma mater in Charlotte, he used to coach our rival.

Seems like one of those guys where he'll whip you with his kids, then turn around and whip you with your own kids.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-03-2018, 07:09 AM
Dutch Fork HS is in class AAAAA football in South Carolina. It’s about 15 miles northwest of Columbia off of I-26.

For those in this area, Irmo is to Columbia as Cary is to Raleigh.....in a lot of ways. I don't even remember a Dutch Fork HS, so I'm guessing that's a new consolidated mega school that was built due to rapid growth of the area. Columbia is an under-rated place to live IMO.

lotusland
12-03-2018, 08:18 AM
For those in this area, Irmo is to Columbia as Cary is to Raleigh...in a lot of ways. I don't even remember a Dutch Fork HS, so I'm guessing that's a new consolidated mega school that was built due to rapid growth of the area. Columbia is an under-rated place to live IMO.

I agree. In spite of the notorious heat in Cola, they’ve done a great job with Downtown. Irmo and Lexington, however, have been over-developed into typical suburban sprawl.

wavedukefan70s
12-03-2018, 11:02 AM
For those in this area, Irmo is to Columbia as Cary is to Raleigh....in a lot of ways. I don't even remember a Dutch Fork HS, so I'm guessing that's a new consolidated mega school that was built due to rapid growth of the area. Columbia is an under-rated place to live IMO.

Not too big 2000 or so students. Some schools have close to 4000.its at least a decade or more in age.

EKU1969
12-03-2018, 11:03 AM
During his time in Charlotte at Independence HS (both my children graduated from there) he had the second longest undefeated string in the country, and they weren't anywhere near where the number one streak was (a school in CAL had the record then). He left Independence to take the Duke assistant job, then returned to Independence before leaving for SC. His teams were awesome...CJ Leak, his younger brother Chris (QB on Natty U of Florida team, Tebow's frosh year), Massequoi (can't recall his first name, and hope I spelled his last name correctly), WR at Georgia, who went pro, and several other outstanding players during his stint. So, yes, congrats to Coach Knotts on his continued success.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
During his time in Charlotte at Independence HS (both my children graduated from there) he had the second longest undefeated string in the country, and they weren't anywhere near where the number one streak was (a school in CAL had the record then). He left Independence to take the Duke assistant job, then returned to Independence before leaving for SC. His teams were awesome...CJ Leak, his younger brother Chris (QB on Natty U of Florida team, Tebow's frosh year), Massequoi (can't recall his first name, and hope I spelled his last name correctly), WR at Georgia, who went pro, and several other outstanding players during his stint. So, yes, congrats to Coach Knotts on his continued success.

You left out Cox who played QB at Georgia.

I grew up about 2 miles from Independence High School. CJ Leak was supposed to be an amazing prospect with offers from Penn State and other top tier schools, but selected Wake Forest where he got massacred by opposing defenses and fell victim to a slew of injuries. He set tons of state records at QB, only to have them broken by Chris a few years later.

Again,my years at Independence were marked by horrible football and it is amusing to me that we are reknown for our run of state titles that happened in subsequent years.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Not too big 2000 or so students. Some schools have close to 4000.its at least a decade or more in age.

SC High Schools with 4K students? Wow things have changed.

wavedukefan70s
12-03-2018, 02:09 PM
SC High Schools with 4K students? Wow things have changed.

Wando has 4000 dorman 3500 give or take 300.summerville has 3200 after being split twice into 1800 or2000 Ashley ridge and 2300 fort Dorchester. A lot of 1600 to 2100 student schools now.growth in the Charleston area is unreal.the addition of bmw factory near Greer has had a effect in that area.charleston area has a Boeing factory now Volvo near summerville not to mention Mercedes and all the smaller companies that support them all.schools are filling up as fast as they are built .unfortunately they forgot to build roads to handle the traffic...

HereBeforeCoachK
12-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Wando has 4000 dorman 3500 give or take 300.summerville has 3200 after being split twice into 1800 or2000 Ashley ridge and 2300 fort Dorchester. A lot of 1600 to 2100 student schools now.growth in the Charleston area is unreal.the addition of bmw factory near Greer has had a effect in that area.charleston area has a Boeing factory now Volvo near summerville not to mention Mercedes and all the smaller companies that support them all.schools are filling up as fast as they are built .unfortunately they forgot to build roads to handle the traffic...

In the 80s, I was "voice of" the Camden Bulldogs and the Lugoff Elgin Demons (football) for a while....did a Bethune 1A championship basketball game from the coliseum. Camden was a small 4A at the time, and Lugoff was 2A or 3A can't remember. There was no 5A in SC then. State is growing, four really pretty good areas to live and work (Grand Strand, Upstate, Cola and Low Country).

camion
12-03-2018, 06:26 PM
In the 80s, I was "voice of" the Camden Bulldogs and the Lugoff Elgin Demons (football) for a while...did a Bethune 1A championship basketball game from the coliseum. Camden was a small 4A at the time, and Lugoff was 2A or 3A can't remember. There was no 5A in SC then. State is growing, four really pretty good areas to live and work (Grand Strand, Upstate, Cola and Low Country).

I have lived in upstate SC for over 30 years and in the early eighties the center of Greenville was dead. Now it's packed and those danged youngters (under 60) like downtown convenience. For the past several years apartments and condos have been going up and filling up quickly. My metaphoric lawn is getting awfully crowded. :mad:

wavedukefan70s
12-03-2018, 07:21 PM
I have lived in upstate SC for over 30 years and in the early eighties the center of Greenville was dead. Now it's packed and those danged youngters (under 60) like downtown convenience. For the past several years apartments and condos have been going up and filling up quickly. My metaphoric lawn is getting awfully crowded. :mad:

Same thing here places I use to ride my bicycle I don't even like to drive.
As for football kids are getting huge more people larger talent pool.
Our B team had 40 players roughly with quite a few 6'1 300 range then a few my kids size (5'9" 250 range).those were varsity size players when I was in school.the population explosion has a effect on school sports and resources.
I fear we are growing to quickly. Or we are failing to build the infrastructure quickly enough to manage the influx of people. I actually considered moving to Greer or Duncan near Greenville. You guys have some serious traffic there aswell.

wavedukefan70s
12-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Well tom got three in a row .his team won 59 to 20.
Was a very close game till mid / late in the third.

wavedukefan70s
11-09-2019, 10:44 PM
In the 80s, I was "voice of" the Camden Bulldogs and the Lugoff Elgin Demons (football) for a while...did a Bethune 1A championship basketball game from the coliseum. Camden was a small 4A at the time, and Lugoff was 2A or 3A can't remember. There was no 5A in SC then. State is growing, four really pretty good areas to live and work (Grand Strand, Upstate, Cola and Low Country).

Thought i remembered you saying lugoff elgin.they had a tight game with summerville last night 14 to 10 .the greenwave scored with 21 seconds left.
My sons team crushed Lexington.
We have a game we should win.then we get to play tom knotts and dutch fork.we have a decent shot to upset them.
Im proud of my kid and his team .here are him and his two buddies 3 sophmores .two 6ft 3 300 pluses and 5ft 10 270 o limen 4.0 gpa and higher.

https://i.ibb.co/z8dqw2H/IMG-05621.jpg (https://ibb.co/xmZxQg8)

wavedukefan70s
11-24-2021, 05:42 PM
Well its us vs Tom knotts again.
Excellent coach but hes giving me a headache.
Sr season. Last home game .
https://i.ibb.co/s19K8yK/FB-IMG-1637380690963.jpg (https://ibb.co/JpjvD5v)

wavedukefan70s
11-24-2021, 05:46 PM

Camden did well this year had a good run.
We actually won thr hogman benchpress competition there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-24-2021, 09:09 PM
Well its us vs Tom knotts again.
Excellent coach but hes giving me a headache.
Sr season. Last home game .
https://i.ibb.co/s19K8yK/FB-IMG-1637380690963.jpg (https://ibb.co/JpjvD5v)

Tom Knotts coached my high school (long after I graduated) to five or six straight state championships.

wavedukefan70s
11-25-2021, 07:18 AM
Tom Knotts coached my high school (long after I graduated) to five or six straight state championships.

Hes doing same here .we get him from time to to time .

brlftz
11-25-2021, 10:42 AM
Silly! That was his dad, Don. Kinda scrawny for a football player, though.:)

He’s not skinny! He’s wiry!