PDA

View Full Version : G.O.A.T.s

drummerdevil
12-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Exam break – let’s not over turn every rock on the bench… How ‘bout this:
Who are the greatest players of all time?
That’s the question. Propose a team of 10 players to keep it simple, five starters and five on the bench. And why. Please specify a single season and include necessary stats!
Here are mine:
88-89 Magic Johnson 22.5 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 12.8 apg
I chose Magic to be the starting PG for obvious reasons. He will pass the ball first, but if he is needed to score he will come through. I also chose him because he’s a matchup nightmare. Who guards him, one of your bigs? And if so, doesn’t everyone else come away with a height advantage?
05-06 Kobe Bryant 35.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.5 apg
Kobe and Magic in the backcourt will be a deadly pair. Whenever needed, he can score in a variety of ways, or draw a double team and set up his teammates for easy baskets.
84-85 Larry Bird 28.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 6.6 apg
Larry Bird - a scoring and rebounding machine. I was surprised to find he averaged a double-double. He will be a key in this stacked offense with his automatic jumpshot, and he can also find the open man driving to the basket whenever he wants.
71-72 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 34.9 ppg, 16.6 rpg
I want Kareem for this team to make a team of scorers. Love the skyhook - unstoppable. Come on, he’s the all-time leading scorer. Do I really have to justify him?
61-62 Wilt Chamberlain 50.4 ppg, 25.7 rpg, 5.0 bpg
Just take a moment and look at the numbers next to that name. Can you find me a player with better averages? I dare you. Wilt can do anything he puts his mind to, like scoring 100 points in one game. He will do what you ask him to, and eat up rebounds to turn in to points all he wants. It would be very difficult to find someone who can stop him on the offensive side. On the other end, while not making the all-time defense team, he’s certainly good enough, averaging 5 bpg and being the only person to ever successfully block a skyhook.
And now, the bench.
90-91 John Stockton 17.2 ppg, 14.2 apg, 2.9 spg
John Stockton, while not the flashiest of PGs, who never won a championship or a serious award, was the most consistent pg of all time. His pass-first style of play makes the team of scorers around him happy, and he gets the job done on both ends of the floor.
86-87 Michael Jordan 37.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 4.6 apg
It was not a hard decision whether or not to start Kobe over MJ. Sure, MJ is considered the GOAT, but I really think he will flourish off the bench, coming off and playing out of his mind with fury. He will not be happy coming off the bench, and will do whatever it takes to try to get that starting spot. (Also, I don’t want to start a UNC guy.)
07-08 LeBron James 30 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 7.2 apg
LeBron will be an anchor on this B team. He can play every position, although center is stretching it a touch, and he will be the defensive stud that I believe this team really needs. He can drive to the basket, pass it to a teammate who is open when he draws the double-team, rebound their miss, put it back, and come up clutch with a chase-down block at the other end. Whatever is needed, he will do it. The only issue is I don’t have a Duke guy to put with him, but hopefully this team can still win.
01-02 Tim Duncan 25.5 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 2.5 bpg
Tim Duncan – he’ll eat up the rebounds and do the little things. He’ll make sure everyone knows their place, and the team needs someone not selfish to counteract MJ. Tim Duncan fills that role perfectly.
63-64 Bill Russell 15 ppg, 24.7 rpg, 3.6 bpg
Bill Russell is the other half of the defensive anchor on the team. He is one of, if not the, greatest defensive player of all time, and will eat up the rebounds. Also, hopes are that his inability to lose will counteract LeBron’s inability to win without a Duke guy. Just my hope.
And finally, Coach K (5 national championships, 12 final four appearances, over 1000 wins, 2 FIBA World Cup gold medals, 3 Olympic gold medals.) I grabbed K to make sure all the personalities on the team mesh, and no one has ever been a better coach.
Anyway, that’s my 10. Who are your 10? Post them down below. And heck, go to whatifsports.com and sim your team against mine! Remember, this is just my list and I’m bound to have forgotten someone great. Don’t hate on me too much, and post yours, too!

sagegrouse
12-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Semester break or not, I still think this is a May or June topic, not a December one.

drummerdevil
12-13-2016, 03:45 PM
Semester break or not, I still think this is a May or June topic, not a December one.

You're probably right, but I didn't want to wait that long. What can I say? I'm impatient.

niveklaen
12-13-2016, 05:39 PM
I think your reserves destroy your starters.

two best wings and best defensive post player on reserves, no floor spacing for starters

and I would go with the Big O over Magic and since we are talking best year only I think Curry was better last year than any year of Stockton - who was very good every year for almost 2 decades but never had any one year that stood out - a lot like Chris Paul.

My first team:

Oscar
MJ
Lebron
Duncan
Russell

Steven43
12-13-2016, 06:25 PM
I think your reserves destroy your starters.
You think a team with Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe Bryant, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar could actually lose? Maybe one or two games, but certainly not a 7-game series. You must not have seen each of these guys in their respective primes.

Saying that, I must confess to not having seen Wilt in his prime, but I have read and heard tons of stories and have seen enough video to feel I have a pretty darn good idea of his awesome capabilities. Duncan and Stockton are the weak links of the ten players originally listed and they both are on the reserve team. Russell, Jordan, and James are top 10 all-time players, but all five of the starters are. Starters would win in five or six games.

Karl Beem
12-13-2016, 07:00 PM
You think a team with Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe Bryant, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar could actually lose? Maybe one or two games, but certainly not a 7-game series. You must not have seen each of these guys in their respective primes.

Saying that, I must confess to not having seen Wilt in his prime, but I have read and heard tons of stories and have seen enough video to feel I have a pretty darn good idea of his awesome capabilities. Duncan and Stockton are the weak links of the ten players originally listed and they both are on the reserve team. Russell, Jordan, and James are top 10 all-time players, but all five of the starters are. Starters would win in five or six games.

I did see Wilt. No one could stop him. Bob Ryan, Boston writer, once ~said "Every time Russell stepped on the court with The Big Dipper, he got his butt kicked".

Indoor66
12-13-2016, 07:18 PM
I did see Wilt. No one could stop him. Bob Ryan, Boston writer, once ~said "Every time Russell stepped on the court with The Big Dipper, he got his butt kicked".

I, too, saw Wilt - from high school to college at Kansas, with the Globetrotters and in the NBA: nobody could limit him, much less stop him.

DukeTrinity11
12-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Starters
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Shaquille O'Neal

Bench
G: Chris Paul
G: Jerry West
F: Larry Bird
F: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
F: Wilt Chamberlain

Kobe is too much of a ballhog in my opinion to really add value to an all-time lineup compared to the guys I chose above, who all in all are fairly unselfish.

Steven43
12-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Starters
C: Shaquille O'Neal

Bench
G: Chris Paul
G: Jerry West
F: Larry Bird
F: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
F: Wilt Chamberlain

Kobe is too much of a ballhog in my opinion to really add value to an all-time lineup compared to the guys I chose above, who all in all are fairly unselfish.
Interesting and strong list. Gotta seriously question Duncan on first team above Larry Bird, though. Yes, Duncan had the longetivity (Bird had debilitating injuries that fairly dramatically shortened his career), but for peak performance Bird takes it, and I think quite easily.

Also, Shaq above both Kareem and Wilt? Were you being honest or just trying to get conversation going? I'm asking genuinely.

MartyClark
12-13-2016, 08:20 PM
I, too, saw Wilt - from high school to college at Kansas, with the Globetrotters and in the NBA: nobody could limit him, much less stop him.

I saw Wilt a couple of times back in the day. I think the only one who could limit Wilt was Wilt. As I remember, he was a bit sensitive to criticism and sometimes changed his game to address his critics. I saw him play against the Bulls in the old Chicago Stadium. If I remember correctly, and I may be mistaken, he was in that mode where he looked to pass rather than score. Keep in mind that he could have scored at will against Tom Boerwinkle. He wasn't necessarily a bad passer but that wasn't the best use of his talents.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Magic
Michael
LeBron
Bird
Wilt

Any five for the second.

Could switch Kobe for Jordan, for a better outside shot also opposed to another attacking player.

ricks68
12-14-2016, 12:08 AM
Easy to stop Wilt. Just foul him when he got the ball. One of the worst free throw shooters of all time, barely cracked 50% for his pro career. (Unfortunately, there wouldn't have been enough opposing players left on the floor to finish the game after they would have fouled out.:rolleyes:)

As an aside, however, he only won two NBA titles in 15 seasons. If he was so unstoppable, how come he wasn't just fed the ball so his teams could win? It was only after he joined the LAL super team that was put together at the end of his career that he was able to finally get his second title. The first was near the end of his career at Philly.

Wilt was a phenomenal athlete and incredible performer, but not unstoppable IMHO. Most of the rest of the comments so far I agree with, however. (Prejudicial note: I was a Bill Russell and Celtics fan. Sorry.:p)

ricks

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-14-2016, 02:42 AM
Wilt was a great individual talent. But basketball is a team sport.

If I'm picking players for my team, I first choose Bill Russell, who was not only the greatest winner in basketball at every level (NCAA twice, Olympics, 11 NBA), but also in all team sports.

ipatent
12-14-2016, 06:13 AM
I'd be careful about putting any players from before the late '70s on that team except for Wilt and maybe Russell. The system has gotten better at producing great players as more money has flowed into the game.

No love for Kareem, Walton, Isaiah Thomas, Olajuwon, David Robinson or Karl Malone? There have been a lot of good players over the years.

Indoor66
12-14-2016, 06:49 AM
I saw Wilt a couple of times back in the day. I think the only one who could limit Wilt was Wilt. As I remember, he was a bit sensitive to criticism and sometimes changed his game to address his critics. I saw him play against the Bulls in the old Chicago Stadium. If I remember correctly, and I may be mistaken, he was in that mode where he looked to pass rather than score. Keep in mind that he could have scored at will against Tom Boerwinkle. He wasn't necessarily a bad passer but that wasn't the best use of his talents.

Wilt could do anything he wished on a basketball court. In 1968 Wilt was asked to pass the ball more - and he did. He led the league in assist and had two 20 & 20 games (assists and rebounds). He is the only center to lead the league in assists.

(http://ballislife.com/wilt-chamberlains-passing-skills-only-center-to-ever-lead-the-league-in-assists/)

NSDukeFan
12-14-2016, 07:23 AM
Wilt could do anything he wished on a basketball court. In 1968 Wilt was asked to pass the ball more - and he did. He led the league in assist and had two 20 & 20 games (assists and rebounds). He is the only center to lead the league in assists.

(http://ballislife.com/wilt-chamberlains-passing-skills-only-center-to-ever-lead-the-league-in-assists/)

Too bad he didn't want to win more championships.
I will cheat and call Russell a power forward:
Kareem
Russell
Bird
Magic
Jordan

2nd team
Wilt (or first team small forward?)
Duncan
LeBron
Robertson
West

OldPhiKap
12-14-2016, 07:29 AM
I want Bill Walton on my bench. Someone needs to pick the music and, you know, keep things loose.

flyingdutchdevil
12-14-2016, 08:48 AM
PG: Stockton
SG: MJ
SF: Lebron
PF: Kareem
C: Russell

I went for a balance between defense and offense versus pure offense. Stockton will make everything easy for everyone. Kareem and MJ provide the scoring. Russell provides the anchor. Lebron provides the intangibles.

This team may not score 100+ points, but you won't score against them.

Spanarkel
12-14-2016, 11:39 AM
I want Bill Walton on my bench. Someone needs to pick the music and, you know, keep things loose.

You'd need an extra trainer and orthopod for Walton. He played in only 44% of regular season games over his career(468/1066), missing 3 seasons altogether. OTOH, Wilt averaged 45.8mpg and never fouled out of a game in his life.

OldPhiKap
12-14-2016, 12:08 PM
You'd need an extra trainer and orthopod for Walton. He played in only 44% of regular season games over his career(468/1066), missing 3 seasons altogether. OTOH, Wilt averaged 45.8mpg and never fouled out of a game in his life.

Oh, I don't plan on actually putting Walton in the game. I just want him on the team.

Spanarkel
12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Oh, I don't plan on actually putting Walton in the game. I just want him on the team.

Good one! I like it.

ricks68
12-14-2016, 02:30 PM
While I can understand so many opinions and choices, but if we are talking about actually some kind of (imaginary) competition situation, then there is one very important player that has been left of the rosters. There should be a best ever, most needed, absolute game changer sub on the list that comes in off the bench that can be used to play lights out at any position on the floor offensively and defensively. That player does (did) exist, and may not be known to those whippersnappers on the board. Since there is only one that has been universally recognized as that player over the years, can anyone identify him?

ricks

rasputin
12-14-2016, 02:40 PM
While I can understand so many opinions and choices, but if we are talking about actually some kind of (imaginary) competition situation, then there is one very important player that has been left of the rosters. There should be a best ever, most needed, absolute game changer sub on the list that comes in off the bench that can be used to play lights out at any position on the floor offensively and defensively. That player does (did) exist, and may not be known to those whippersnappers on the board. Since there is only one that has been universally recognized as that player over the years, can anyone identify him?

ricks

Patrick Davidson.

ipatent
12-14-2016, 03:05 PM
The '92 Dream team had Bird, Jordan, Johnson, Malone, Stockton and Robinson, but who was the real matchup nightmare against the international teams? Charles Barkley.

Spanarkel
12-14-2016, 03:07 PM

ricks

My four guesses are Frank Ramsey(Celtics), John Havlicek(Celtics), Michael Cooper(Lakers), and Robert Horry(multiple teams). I never saw Ramsey play and given his era I don't think he could compete with today's players. Havlicek was good offensively and defensively, but I doubt he could guard the center position and he quickly became a starter early in his career. He was an athlete who could play in today's game(incredible stamina). Cooper was really good defensively, and Horry was mostly an outside threat. I'm most likely incorrect with those four guesses. My final guess is Hondo.

ricks68
12-14-2016, 04:14 PM
My four guesses are Frank Ramsey(Celtics), John Havlicek(Celtics), Michael Cooper(Lakers), and Robert Horry(multiple teams). I never saw Ramsey play and given his era I don't think he could compete with today's players. Havlicek was good offensively and defensively, but I doubt he could guard the center position and he quickly became a starter early in his career. He was an athlete who could play in today's game(incredible stamina). Cooper was really good defensively, and Horry was mostly an outside threat. I'm most likely incorrect with those four guesses. My final guess is Hondo.

Bingo! It wasn't a question of "could" he guard the center position because he did it on countless occasions. All of the three others that you mention are obviously speculation, as Hondo was the only one that actually came in to replace any position that was needed. My question was not based on what kind of athletic ability would be needed for the job, or the speculation of who could accomplish the task, but who proved that he could pull it off so consistently that it became a staple of the Celtics' winning combination for so many of their championships. While I am definitely not a pro basketball whiz (far, far from it), he just plain pulled it off, and it was universally recognized.

Other than that, if some of those on this thread don't think that the likes of Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Bill Russell, Jerry West, etc. wouldn't be superstars today, they really need to re-examine their knowledge cache. [But then, it wouldn't surprise me if both Magic and Larry will be considered 2nd or 3rd tier or even lower in another 10 or 20 years. Old. Old. Like I have mentioned before, us (all) Crusties just age out, as they say now, and the accomplishments of most become so watered down over the passage of time.:(]

(By the way, don't we all just love it when Amile plays such fantastic defense against much bigger players. Pay attention, in particular, how he bodies up the bigger player causing a short shot at the basket and then snatches the rebound. This is an example of the kinds of skill sets that separate the great players from the rest, be it college or pro. And,-------if Hondo didn't ever exist, I definitely would have had to give Patrick Davidson a long hard look, even though he never played in the pros.:))

ricks

NYBri
12-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Mine?

Grayson
Tatum
Giles
Jefferson
Kennard

ricks68
12-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Mine?

Grayson
Tatum
Giles
Jefferson
Kennard

Nice. Well done!;)

ricks

superdave
12-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Jordan, Bird, James, Duncan, Russell to start. Magic, Pippen, Bryant, Havilicek, Abdul Jabbar as the second five. Olajuwon and Isiah would fill the last two roster spots.

I would push Bird up to the first team to have a floor spacing shooter. The starters would be incredible defensively.

drummerdevil
12-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Jordan, Bird, James, Duncan, Russell to start. Magic, Pippen, Bryant, Havilicek, Abdul Jabbar as the second five. Olajuwon and Isiah would fill the last two roster spots.

I would push Bird up to the first team to have a floor spacing shooter. The starters would be incredible defensively.

Who brings the ball up the court?

NSDukeFan
12-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Who brings the ball up the court?

Jordan or James (I am assuming LeBron and not Jerome).

drummerdevil
12-17-2016, 08:31 AM
Anyone else got a team?

ipatent
12-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Anyone else got a team?

PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
F- Julius Erving
F- Lebron James
C- Wilt Chamberlain

...but one could put together many more teams with the last being nearly as good as the first. The center position would be the first to deplete, there aren't that many great ones.

drummerdevil
12-17-2016, 10:58 AM
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
F- Julius Erving
F- Lebron James
C- Wilt Chamberlain

...but one could put together many more teams with the last being nearly as good as the first. The center position would be the first to deplete, there aren't that many great ones.

Really? Chamberlain, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, Olajuwon, heck even some modern guys like Davis and Cousins!

gurufrisbee
12-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Start with Lebron and the Big O. Those two are so far and away better than anyone else the rest of the team doesn't matter, because with them and any three from this discussion you win.

But in the interest of filling out a roster

Starting Five: Lebron, Robertson, Magic, Shaq, Bird

(I'm not really convinced Bird is necessarily in the best five, but I love the match up nightmares and envision him with about twenty wide open three pointers ever game from the rest of that group)

Bench: Duncan, Kobe, Kareem, Rodman, Curry

(no, not necessarily the best all time ten players, but maybe and if I have a team with this much talent I want one guy who will just play defense and rebound everything and not need to shoot - and one more guy who will rain three's all day when everyone else is getting double teamed)

ipatent
12-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Really? Chamberlain, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, Olajuwon, heck even some modern guys like Davis and Cousins!

That's only six or seven players, some of them with obvious deficiencies. I wasn't old enough to have watched Russell, but he wasn't a great scorer. Olajuwon was the real deal, probably the best of the rest after Wilt, but not physically dominant. Kareem wasn't a great rebounder. Walton was injured most of the time. Shaq couldn't shoot free throws. We'll see about Davis and Cousins.

Compare that to the depth at point guard, where at least 20 or 30 are darn near as good as the very best on the list, and kids of the ilk of Iverson, Irving and Wall are available most every draft year.

NSDukeFan
12-18-2016, 07:53 AM
That's only six or seven players, some of them with obvious deficiencies. I wasn't old enough to have watched Russell, but he wasn't a great scorer. Olajuwon was the real deal, probably the best of the rest after Wilt, but not physically dominant. Kareem wasn't a great rebounder. Walton was injured most of the time. Shaq couldn't shoot free throws. We'll see about Davis and Cousins.

Compare that to the depth at point guard, where at least 20 or 30 are darn near as good as the very best on the list, and kids of the ilk of Iverson, Irving and Wall are available most every draft year.

I believe Russell scored enough that his teams had some success.

Indoor66
12-18-2016, 08:10 AM
I believe Russell scored enough that his teams had some success.

It would be much fairer to say that he defended enough that his teams has some success. He also played for the franchise that had the GOAT coach and GM.

Any G.O.A.T. team that starts with anyone at center other than Wilt is not realistic. He still owns 75 NBA records (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Wilt_Chamberlain) and he hasn't played since 1973!

OldPhiKap
12-18-2016, 11:06 AM
It would be much fairer to say that he defended enough that his teams has some success. He also played for the franchise that had the GOAT coach and GM.

Any G.O.A.T. team that starts with anyone at center other than Wilt is not realistic. He still owns 75 NBA records (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Wilt_Chamberlain) and he hasn't played since 1973!

And those are only his on-the-court records!

drummerdevil
12-18-2016, 02:07 PM

But those guys didn't need to be able to do those things. Bill Russell was a great defender, and every team needs one. Kareem did well enough on the boards. Shaq is an issue, though. I agree.

drummerdevil
12-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Anyone else?

ipatent
12-27-2016, 01:01 PM
How about greatest ACC centers of all time? There aren't that many. There was Sampson, who I guess we have to consider the best center by virtue of his height even though he wanted to be a small forward. Tim Duncan. Gminski may be the next on my list, although Brad Daugherty was drafted higher. Horace Grant led Clemson to an ACC Tournament title and had a nice run with the Bulls. Who else?

ricks68
12-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone else?

6th man: Hondo. Always the intangible Hondo.

ricks

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-27-2016, 01:54 PM
How about greatest ACC centers of all time? There aren't that many. There was Sampson, who I guess we have to consider the best center by virtue of his height even though he wanted to be a small forward. Tim Duncan. Gminski may be the next on my list, although Brad Daugherty was drafted higher. Horace Grant led Clemson to an ACC Tournament title and had a nice run with the Bulls. Who else?

Len Chappell of Wake Forest.

jv001
12-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Len Chappell of Wake Forest.

Mike Lewis, Duke...Randy Denton....Duke, Christian Laettner....Duke, Elton Brand....Duke
GoDuke!!!

ricks68
12-27-2016, 04:37 PM
George Mikan. Seriously.

ricks

cato
12-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Christian Laettner...Duke!!!

Great call. I would pick Laettner before any other center in ACC history.

Patrick Davidson named his first born Stomp in honor of Christian. True story!

ipatent
12-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Great call. I would pick Laettner before any other center in ACC history.

Patrick Davidson named his first born Stomp in honor of Christian. True story!

I was counting Laettner as a forward.

drummerdevil
12-27-2016, 08:16 PM
I was counting Laettner as a forward.

Forward, guard, center, he could play it all. That's why he makes the list.

drummerdevil
12-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Here's an idea: greatest defensive team of all time. I don't feel a need to research my own, but what do y'all think?

Indoor66
12-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Here's an idea: greatest defensive team of all time. I don't feel a need to research my own, but what do y'all think?

The team: Billy King!

OldPhiKap
12-27-2016, 09:27 PM

Pg -- Tommy Amaker
"S"g -- Billy King
Sf -- Grant Hill
Pf -- Shane Battier
C - Landlord.

First off bench: Wojo

jv001
12-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Pg -- Tommy Amaker
"S"g -- Billy King
Sf -- Grant Hill
Pf -- Shane Battier
C - Landlord.

First off bench: Wojo

Get's my vote. GoDuke!

RPS
12-29-2016, 08:34 AM

Interestingly, Ryan actually thought that Russell, not Wilt, was the greatest center of all time (http://archive.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2011/06/how_i_rank_cent.html). I agree (and saw them both).

Ryan also thought that Walton, when healthy (think his championship season in Portland and read David Halberstam’s great book about the Blazers, The Breaks of the Game (https://www.amazon.com/Breaks-Game-David-Halberstam/dp/1401309720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482990604&sr=8-1&keywords=halberstam+breaks+of+the+game)), was the best center ever (http://archive.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2011/06/how_i_rank_cent.html).

OldPhiKap
12-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Interestingly, Ryan actually thought that Russell, not Wilt, was the greatest center of all time (http://archive.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2011/06/how_i_rank_cent.html). I agree (and saw them both).

Ryan also thought that Walton, when healthy (think his championship season in Portland and read David Halberstam’s great book about the Blazers, The Breaks of the Game (https://www.amazon.com/Breaks-Game-David-Halberstam/dp/1401309720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482990604&sr=8-1&keywords=halberstam+breaks+of+the+game)), was the best center ever (http://archive.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2011/06/how_i_rank_cent.html).

IIRC, Walton went 21 for 22 in the first nationally televised collegiate national championship game.

Grateful Red was incredible, but his knees could only take so much dancing and shaking of bones I guess.

Indoor66
12-29-2016, 09:39 AM
IIRC, Walton went 21 for 22 in the first nationally televised collegiate national championship game.

Grateful Red was incredible, but his knees could only take so much dancing and shaking of bones I guess.

Which is why he is not in the running for G.O.A.T. Durability is also part of the issue.

ipatent
12-29-2016, 09:42 AM

I wasn't old enough to have watched Walton at UCLA, but this video tells me he should be in the conversation for the best ever when healthy. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAnC4cBXAuY

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
I wasn't old enough to have watched Walton at UCLA, but this video tells me he should be in the conversation for the best ever when healthy. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAnC4cBXAuY

At about the 1:31 mark he looks more like Hanstravel.
Love, Ima

Richard Berg
12-29-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm shooting for the GOAT team to dismantle all potentially rival teams by the largest margin over the course of a season or playoffs. Not an ordered list of GOAT individuals nor accomplishments. Axioms:
* Defense wins championships
* 3>2

With that in mind, my default starting five: CP3, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, Kareem.

Rotation fixtures / frequent starters (matchup specific): Curry, MJ, Rodman, Duncan, Russell.

Bench / situational players / injury insurance: Magic, Pippen.

RPS
12-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Which is why he is not in the running for G.O.A.T. Durability is also part of the issue.

Well, yes and no. Bob Ryan (who has seen as much NBA basketball as pretty much anybody) argues that Bill Russell was the GOAT and doesn't consider Bill Walton due to his injury problems. But he also says that if he needed a center for one must-win game, it would be a healthy Walton. That's a GOAT of a somewhat different sort. And since the original post wanted to talk about the GOAT within the context of a single season, you can make the case for the big redhead. His 1976-77 season (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/waltobi01.html) -- when the Blazers won the title -- was spectacular and most who were there (including Halberstam, as i recall) think he was even better the next season before he got hurt.

Indoor66
12-29-2016, 03:56 PM
OK, Walton may serve as G.O.A.T. for a day.😂

rsvman
12-29-2016, 05:20 PM
OK, Walton may serve as G.O.A.T. for a day.😂

And if the next day somebody beats him one-on-one, does that make that person the G.O.A.T., by Walton rules?

Indoor66
12-29-2016, 06:04 PM
And if the next day somebody beats him one-on-one, does that make that person the G.O.A.T., by Walton rules?

Of course. They are the Walton Rules, for crying out loud! 😈😎

kAzE
12-29-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty late to the game here, but I had to put in my team. 10 guys is way too much . . so I'm just going to go with 5. First, here's the easy answer:

C: Bill Russell

But you have to think in terms of putting the best possible team out there, and not just the best collection of talent. So with that in mind, here's my 5:

PG: Stephen Curry
SF: Larry Bird
PF: LeBron James
C: Bill Russell

This, in my opinion, is the most complete 5 I can put together. The problem with first starting lineup that I posted is that while, yes, those are arguably the very best players at their respective positions of all time, they fit together HORRIBLY on a basketball court. Not one of them was even close to a 40% career 3 point shooter, and MJ, LeBron, and Magic are all extremely ball dominant. It would not be a very cohesive unit in my opinion.

Now with the second lineup, I would have MJ and LeBron be my primary play makers, with Steph running around screens and hunting his shot on the perimeter, effectively allowing the rest of the team to play 4 on 4. He's the ultimate floor spacer, who cannot be left alone, even from 35 feet. He gives LeBron and Michael lots of open space in the paint to use. Larry can also stretch the floor and provide contributions all over the court, while Russell controls the paint and the glass, and throw long outlet passes down the court. All 5 of these guys are exceptional passers, even among NBA greats.

Defensively, MJ, LeBron, and Russell are 3 of the very best ever, and Larry Bird was good enough to make a couple of all-defensive teams in his career. Steph is obviously a liability here, but his contributions on offense by just spacing the floor more than make up for anything he lacks defensively.

There are probably many different teams that one could argue would fit just as well, and Duncan is probably interchangeable with Russell, but that's who I would take if you asked me for my 5. Russell I think fits just a bit better with an up-tempo game plan, which would be the style of offense I'd be looking to run with this group.

The hardest guy to leave off the team for me is Kareem, since he alone had the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game, but I think I'll live with the ball in MJ's hands when the game is on the line.

royalblue
12-30-2016, 11:45 AM

The Tigers have never won an ACC men's basketball tournament.

drummerdevil
12-31-2016, 02:46 PM
Best small ball lineup? Say, only one guy over 6'6 or so? Here's mine: Allen, Kennard, Jones, Jackson, Jefferson. :)

drummerdevil
01-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Or best big ball lineup? You could go, say, Johnson, Durant, James, Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain? Wait, that's almost my starting lineup. Hmm...