PDA

View Full Version : I am sure PETA would be mad at most of us on this board

MarkD83
12-13-2016, 01:37 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116754/woman-names-dog-after-roy-williams-coach-sends-letter-after-he-dies

Indoor66
12-13-2016, 05:21 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116754/woman-names-dog-after-roy-williams-coach-sends-letter-after-he-dies

Why. I ain't got nuttin against dogs. :cool:

NashvilleDevil
12-13-2016, 06:03 AM
She named the dog Huckleberry?

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 07:26 AM
Wasn't there a coach who claimed that he named his dog Dean Smith, so he could go home and kick it? Maybe Terry Holland?

devilseven
12-13-2016, 07:32 AM
I think Holland said that he named his dog Dean because it was always whining.

Merlindevildog91
12-13-2016, 07:37 AM
I am taking the moral high road, but I desperately want to make several comments about Roy not using time outs.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 07:38 AM
I think Holland said that he named his dog Dean because it was always whining.

That sounds right.

sagegrouse
12-13-2016, 07:40 AM

It's a blurb. Here's the story --

It’s not uncommon for a fan to name a child or a pet after his or her favorite celebrity or sports hero. But it’s always a surprise when a popular figure acknowledges the namesake, the way North Carolina coach Roy Williams did last week (h/t CBS).

On Sunday night, fan Whitney Shankland tweeted a letter Williams sent to her after her dog, Roy, died.

“I wish you and your family all the best in this time of grievance,” Williams said in the letter he signed.

Shankland added to her tweet: “I can’t imagine naming my dog after a more perfect man.”

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 07:45 AM
I named my dog after Roy, too.

Right now, Scum-Sucking Cheater is sniffing the garbage pail. It's one of his more enduring rituals. The other is hoarding time outs.

wilson
12-13-2016, 08:01 AM
“I wish you and your family all the best in this time of grievance,” Williams said in the letter he signed...I do not think that word means what Roy thinks it means.

Indoor66
12-13-2016, 08:17 AM
It must have been a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.e eating dog.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 08:21 AM
I do not think that word means what Roy thinks it means.

Must have been written by a helpful UNC "scholar-athlete"

UrinalCake
12-13-2016, 08:21 AM
I was going to name my female dog after Roy, but I used a different name....

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Roy named his dog Time Out.

Hr never calls for it, though.

mph
12-13-2016, 08:35 AM
UNC athletic department motto: Lie down with dogs, wake up with B's (but mostly A's).

CrazyNotCrazie
12-13-2016, 08:55 AM
I always wanted to meet a dog that understood Swahili

BandAlum83
12-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Is it just me, or is his use of the word 'grievance' totally wrong here?

The difference between grievance and grief is that grievance is (countable) something which causes grief while grief is suffering, hardship.

So unless someone out there can educate me why I am wrong, I'll continue to think this quote just makes Huckleberry look gosh darn stupid.

BD80
12-13-2016, 09:31 AM
I always wanted to meet a dog that understood Swahili

T'aint any in chapa heeya, no matter what is listed on their transcripts!

MChambers
12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
From the local paper here in DC:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/12/12/presidents-bodyman-and-duke-alum-sickening-how-much-obama-loves-uncs-roy-williams/?utm_term=.eb03c25325e3

Not to go all public policy on this, but how can the President prefer Roy?

mph
12-13-2016, 10:28 AM
From the local paper here in DC:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/12/12/presidents-bodyman-and-duke-alum-sickening-how-much-obama-loves-uncs-roy-williams/?utm_term=.eb03c25325e3

Not to go all public policy on this, but how can the President prefer Roy?

Could be this (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24783821/watch-coach-k-criticizes-obamas-strategy-in-war-against-isis):

"I know it's upsetting to many of you when you hear ‘no boots on the ground.' It upsets me too, because that's like saying, 'I'm not going to play two of my best players,' because that's what you were trained to do. And for decades and decades, the fact that we are a free country and we don't play home games here is a result of having boots on the ground. It's about [applause from crowd] letting your opponent know that we are going to use our best players. Now whether you use them or not, that's up to the coach. You never tell an opponent you're not going to use, like I'm not going to play Grant Hill. J.J. Redick. Laettner. For the Olympics, ‘Hey, Spain, I'm not going to start LeBron and Kobe tonight.' I don't think you do that. How much I play them, let the guy figure out how I'm going to play them. And so, I want to thank you for the countless times your boots have been on the ground, and as a result, it's given me the opportunity to live in a free country, to do what the hell I want to do and to coach the United States team, the Duke team, whatever. And so, on behalf of the ordinary people, we love you and thank you for doing that.”

On the other hand, it's hard to beat ISIS if your army is only 7 deep. 😛

Reilly
12-13-2016, 10:52 AM
I have a lot of grievances with Roy: lack of taking responsibility, whining, faux cornponing, bus wheel interference, storing emotion in digits, Dean idolatry, indiscriminate BB gun usage, masseuse therapy, and the like, and am a language snoot, but I'll give him a pass on mangling the English language while expressing condolences about the death of a dog. Some things are above the rivalry.

Neals384
12-13-2016, 11:08 AM
I have a lot of grievances with Roy: lack of taking responsibility, whining, faux cornponing, bus wheel interference, storing emotion in digits, Dean idolatry, indiscriminate BB gun usage, masseuse therapy, and the like, and am a language snoot, but I'll give him a pass on mangling the English language while expressing condolences about the death of a dog. Some things are above the rivalry.

Sounds to me like you're grievancing for Roy...the dog, that is.

Reilly
12-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Sounds to me like you're grievancing for Roy...the dog, that is.

I have more grievance in my little finger over one Carolina fan's dead dog than the rest of you have had over all of your pets, ever. I don't know why I care more than the rest of you or, more accurately, why you don't care as much as I do. I'll grab a Coke and a massage and think on that, and go shoot some folks that don't care as much as me. This is the 53rd grievance note I've sent to a fan just like Coach Smith taught and I don't know why this one is causing a fuss.

sagegrouse
12-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Is it just me, or is his use of the word 'grievance' totally wrong here?

So unless someone out there can educate me why I am wrong, I'll continue to think this quote just makes Huckleberry look gosh darn stupid.

Maybe Ol' Roy is a union sympathizer and he thinks there some sort of job-action underway.

weezie
12-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Ok, Ok, Ok so let's just commit to kicking a hole-tar. A real live one. Or perhaps five+ of them on Feb 9 and Mar 4 and any possible other meetings.

No canine should suffer for those shameful cheaters.

DukieInKansas
12-13-2016, 04:42 PM
I can't believe that PETA didn't go after the dog owner when she named the poor, innocent little pup Roy Williams. :D

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 05:15 PM
I can't believe that PETA didn't go after the dog owner when she named the poor, innocent little pup Roy Williams. :D

Maybe they thought it was the football player. Just ambiguous enough to avoid drawing The Fuzz.