PDA

View Full Version : Margin Of Victory

Coballs
12-12-2016, 05:43 PM
The 49-point victory @ UNLV got me thinking about the largest margin of victory Duke has had in recent years. Off the top of my head, I can't recall a true road game that they've won by more. Was there any reference made to this during the broadcast? Does anyone here know their largest margin of victory in a true road game during the Coach K era?

BandAlum83
12-12-2016, 05:47 PM
The 49-point victory @ UNLV got me thinking about the largest margin of victory Duke has had in recent years. Off the top of my head, I can't recall a true road game that they've won by more. Was there any reference made to this during the broadcast? Does anyone here know their largest margin of victory in a true road game during the Coach K era?

Was this a true road game? Will UNLV be playing all of their future home games here? I believe this was the first basketball game played in the new arena.

Coballs
12-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Was this a true road game? Will UNLV be playing all of their future home games here? I believe this was the first basketball game played in the new arena.

I could be wrong but I think UNLV will still be playing the majority of their games at the Thomas and Mack Center. However I also think this was still considered a true road games since it was in Vegas and about 5-10 minutes from their campus. And ESPN had the game listed as Duke @ UNLV. It's just like when Villanova plays some of their bigger conference games at the Wells-Fargo Center or St. John's plays at MSG.

cato
12-12-2016, 06:09 PM
82-50. Such a beautiful score.

Wait. What was the question?

BLPOG
12-12-2016, 06:18 PM

That one was the first to come to mind for me. Such sweet satisfaction to witness in person, especially the first half, when we were on track to break our all-time MOV record against them.

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 06:22 PM
The 82-50 game was in Cameron. Probably hard to spin that as a true road game.

Duke defeated Virginia Tech 88-56 in Blacksburg in 2013. That counts.

pfrduke
12-12-2016, 06:41 PM
We won by 46 @ UNCG in the 2011 season (12-29-2010) and by 33 in the 2006 season, but games at the Greensboro Coliseum are sort of true road games with an asterisk.

In addition to the VT game Jim mentioned, we beat FSU by 32 in 2005. And we beat Georgia Tech by 32 in 2002.

That's the sum total of 30+ wins in true road games since 2002, although I would be remiss in not pointing out the 29-point drubbing we handed to the Tar Heels in the Dean Dome in 2002 (side note on the 2002 team: between January 6 (loss at FSU by 1 point) and Feb. 17 (loss at Maryland), we won 11 straight by margins of 25, 19*, 21, 23, 10*, 13, 29*, 10*, 31, 32*, and 27 (asterisks indicate road games). We then followed the Maryland game by winning 3 of 4 regular season games with margins of 29*, 42, and 25, and then swept the ACCT by 12, 15, and 30. That team was real good).

cato
12-12-2016, 06:52 PM

Duke defeated Virginia Tech 88-56 in Blacksburg in 2013. That counts.

Details, details. The key point remains: Duke beat Carolina by 32 points, the first of 10 consecutive wins culminating in that win in IN.

Am I finding an excuse to bring up a delightful string of games? Perhaps. But margin of victory is a key indicator of post-season success.

Even if some of those games are against hapless smurf blue cupcakes.

BLPOG
12-12-2016, 06:58 PM

Of course, which is why I decided not to post it; but as cato said, "Wait. What was the question?"

UrinalCake
12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
I could be wrong but I think UNLV will still be playing the majority of their games at the Thomas and Mack Center. However I also think this was still considered a true road games since it was in Vegas and about 5-10 minutes from their campus. And ESPN had the game listed as Duke @ UNLV. It's just like when Villanova plays some of their bigger conference games at the Wells-Fargo Center or St. John's plays at MSG.

I'm pretty sure it was considered a neutral site game (though if someone proves me wrong I won't be shocked). I think the criteria for having a secondary venue count as a school's second home court is the number of games played there, not the distance from campus. If you play more than a certain percentage of your games in the nearby big arena, then you can count it as your home court and your opponent can count it as a true road game. This is similar to when we played Georgetown in the MCI Center (or whatever it was called) in DC in front of the President in 2009-2010. It was classified as a neutral site game but obviously had the feel of a road game.

As to margin of victory, our 1998-1999 team had many huge wins but for some reason I've never forgotten a 100-54 win at Virginia. This wasn't the Tony Bennett version of Virginia, they were a pretty bad team, but that score has always stuck in my head as a complete demolition of what was at least a major conference opponent in a true road game.

Olympic Fan
12-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Pomeroy counts the Vegas game as "semi-away" ... game at Greensboro are usually counted as "semi-home" (although the up-coming game with Elon is listed as neutral).

For NCAA (and RPI) purposes, there are only three categories -- home, away and neutral. To qualify as a homecourt, a team must play three regular season games on that court.

UNLV still plays its home games in the Thomas and Mack Center, so the NCAA would consider the game Saturday as a neutral court game.

FWIW: Six of the seven largest victory margins in Duke history were all at home. The one possible exception was the largest margin of all -- an 80-point win over Furman in 1910 (85-5). Duke records don't show where that game was played -- it could have been played in the Ark on East Campus (where the team played its home games in those days), but it could have been somewhere else.

tbyers11
12-12-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it was considered a neutral site game (though if someone proves me wrong I won't be shocked). I think the criteria for having a secondary venue count as a school's second home court is the number of games played there, not the distance from campus. If you play more than a certain percentage of your games in the nearby big arena, then you can count it as your home court and your opponent can count it as a true road game. This is similar to when we played Georgetown in the MCI Center (or whatever it was called) in DC in front of the President in 2009-2010. It was classified as a neutral site game but obviously had the feel of a road game.

As to margin of victory, our 1998-1999 team had many huge wins but for some reason I've never forgotten a 100-54 win at Virginia. This wasn't the Tony Bennett version of Virginia, they were a pretty bad team, but that score has always stuck in my head as a complete demolition of what was at least a major conference opponent in a true road game.

Agree with your designation of the UNLV game as neutral and the general rule about number of games played at a site for it to be considered home. However, games against Georgetown at the Verizon Center are away games. That is their home arena. They play one game a year on campus at McDonough Arena.

devilseven
12-12-2016, 09:11 PM
In 1964, Duke beat UNC-CH 104 to 69 in Chapel Hill. Maybe Duke's greatest true road victory ever!!

Olympic Fan
12-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Agree with your designation of the UNLV game as neutral and the general rule about number of games played at a site for it to be considered home. However, games against Georgetown at the Verizon Center are away games. That is their home arena. They play one game a year on campus at McDonough Arena.

That's a Big East thing -- one of the things the league originally dictated was that schools must play in big arenas. Hence, St. John's plays home games at both Carneseca Arena on campus and at Madison Square Garden (which DOES count as a homecourt for St. Johns). Villanova has a beautiful on campus facility (the Pavillion), but the Wells Fargo Arena also counts as a homecourt. Marquette plays in the Bradley Center. Providence plays in the Dunkin Donuts Arena.

Now that Gavit is gone, a few current Big East teams play on campus (for instance, Butler is in Hinkle Field House)

OldPhiKap
12-12-2016, 09:21 PM

If this answer is wrong, I would respectfully request that the question be rephrased until it is correct.

There is no universe worth existing where this answer is wrong, despite niggling things like the truth or accuracy of the response. Seriously.

Newton_14
12-12-2016, 09:22 PM

82-50 is the only one that matters. All others are irrelevant and pale in comparison;):cool::D

moonpie23
12-12-2016, 09:29 PM
82-50 was a true rode game....

cause duke rode those guys like rented donkeys...

Newton_14
12-12-2016, 09:34 PM
If this answer is wrong, I would respectfully request that the question be rephrased until it is correct.

There is no universe worth existing where this answer is wrong, despite niggling things like the truth or accuracy of the response. Seriously.

82-50 is always the right answer no matter the question.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Personally, I am excited about the possibility that this is the year we might stop talking abou lt 82-50...

Draw your own conclusions.

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 10:51 PM
The most impressive regular-season neutral site win in Duke history may well have been Duke's 97-66 win over Texas in December 2005. Duke was number one, Texas number two. J.J. Redick had 41 points, while Shelden Williams played LaMarcus Aldridge to a draw.

I believe it is still the third-largest margin of victory in a 1 v. 2 game. Kentucky beat St. John's-coached by Frank McGuire--81-40 in December 1951 and UCLA beat Houston
101-69 in the 1968 Final Four.

The UCLA-Houston game was the only one of the three games mentioned in which number two beat number one. It was a payback game from Houston's win earlier that season in the Astrodome. Houston was undefeated. Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar chewed up Elvin Hayes and spit him out. Truly devastating display of dominance.

Back to Duke. There was a remarkable game in 1963 when fourth-ranked Duke beat sixth-ranked West Virginia 111-71. This was at Duke. But still, sixth-ranked teams don't lose games by 40 points.

Art Heyman and Jeff Mullins had 28 and 27 points respectively for Duke, while WVU star Rod Thorn was held to 11 points.

Good times.

mph
12-12-2016, 11:15 PM
We won by 46 @ UNCG in the 2011 season (12-29-2010) and by 33 in the 2006 season, but games at the Greensboro Coliseum are sort of true road games with an asterisk.

This was the first Duke game for my kids. For those that don't remember this was a very good day for Duke fans even though we were playing our 4th game without Kyrie. 12-29-2010 was the day Coach K passed Dean Smith for 2nd on the all-time win list before leaving him in the rear view mirror.

GoB
12-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Jan 5, 1977: @ Davidson

Duke 102 - Davidson 51

As far as I can tell Duke - UNLV is 2nd to that for away games (and first outside of NC)

GoB
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM
The record books have nothing for away games but for greatest margin of victory in all games there's 1910's Duke 85 - Furman 5.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WW7EgBfQn_MC&lpg=PA33&ots=nZIIAOmIy4&dq=duke%20largest%20away%20margin%20of%20victory&pg=PA392#v=onepage&q=duke%20largest%20away%20margin%20of%20victory&f=false

Hopefully that wasn't someone compiling the record book by looking through dusty old records and blindly copying a typo...

GoB
12-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Another source corroborating on the Furman score (or at least a 79-point win):

1910 Feb 01

Trinity beats Furman by either 84 or 85-5 in basketball.

In an early instance of a blowout, the Trinity basketball team defeated the Furman team by the score of 84 (or 85; sources differ) to 5. A home game with Wake Forest that year had to be canceled because the Trinity team wouldn't agree to play according to Wake's rules. Obviously, this was before the NCAA was established.

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/collections/creators/corporations/dukeuniversity/

Indoor66
12-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Another source corroborating on the Furman score (or at least a 79-point win):

1910 Feb 01

Trinity beats Furman by either 84 or 85-5 in basketball.

In an early instance of a blowout, the Trinity basketball team defeated the Furman team by the score of 84 (or 85; sources differ) to 5. A home game with Wake Forest that year had to be canceled because the Trinity team wouldn't agree to play according to Wake's rules. Obviously, this was before the NCAA was established.

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/collections/creators/corporations/dukeuniversity/

That must be the group that founded DBR, :o:D:cool: