PDA

View Full Version : Yearly Question

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Here comes the yearly UNC/Kentucky match up. How do other posters feel about potential outcomes of this game?

I obviously love watching both teams lose, and short of the nuclear option, I think I would prefer to see UNC beat Kentucky. Mostly because it assists in the "ACC is the best" narrative, but also because I feel any chinks in the Big Blue armor makes our recruiting chances better for top tier players. Also, we will get plenty of chances to humble UNC on our own.

Now I would like to open the floor to discussion.

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Here comes the yearly UNC/Kentucky match up. How do other posters feel about potential outcomes of this game?

I obviously love watching both teams lose, and short of the nuclear option, I think I would prefer to see UNC beat Kentucky. Mostly because it assists in the "ACC is the best" narrative, but also because I feel any chinks in the Big Blue armor makes our recruiting chances better for top tier players. Also, we will get plenty of chances to humble UNC on our own.

ABC, my friend. ABC.

ABK doesn't have the same ring to it. And we don't have any obnoxious UK fans posting on this site.

camion
12-12-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm still pulling for d) giant sink hole. :eek:

devildeac
12-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Meteor. Two of them in fact. One for each bench.

BD80
12-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Depends on the site.

At chapel hill, I favor the sink hole, something that would rid us of as much baby blue infrastructure as possible without affecting the Triangle in general or Duke in particular.

At Lexington, I prefer a pathogen type event. The area is very pretty, so something that would just rid us of the attendees and perhaps those they contact within the next 12 hours.

rsvman
12-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Ummm...this is the yearly no question about it. I never root for UNC, it's pretty simple.

SCMatt33
12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Never root fo UNC. I'd wear that shirt with Calipari's face on it for this one.

royalblue
12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Below is the take for any true fan that would like to be on Mt Hatemore.
The bucket list dream is the University of Not attending Class always needs to lose no exceptions. I would like the game at Rupp and I would like to wear a Laettner Duke jersey and pull as hard as I can for UK. Having the jersey on should make it clear that I do not like UK and that the cheering will end at the finish of the game.

aimo
12-12-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm still pulling for d) giant sink hole. :eek:

Yes! My favorite team in games like this is ALWAYS the sinkhole!

budwom
12-12-2016, 09:46 AM
I don't even know why this is a question.

jjredickrules
12-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Whenever I watch a game in which I have no rooting interest, I tend to pull for whomever is less likely to challenge Duke in prestige and/or seeding. I'm not sure who that would be in this matchup. I could potentially be convinced that it's UNC.

Of course, I cannot emotionally pull for UNC. Ever. And I have a degree from there. Basically: "The heart is not so easily changed, but the head can be persuaded."

#teamgiantsinkhole

UrinalCake
12-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Logic would dictate that you should pull for UNC, because Kentucky is a bigger threat to us both on the court and on the recruiting trail. But when it comes to the CHeats, logic goes out the window.

The other consideration is that if Berry doesn't play (along with Pinson) then a loss by UNC will be more easily explained away and ignored by the Selection committee, whereas a loss by Kentucky would look really bad for them. But again, it's ABC, baby!!!

Ichabod Drain
12-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Focus on the positive, one of them will lose Saturday. Also whoever loses, at least their fanbase, will be very upset that they lost to the other.

Billy Dat
12-12-2016, 09:59 AM
AB"MF"C

(the board doesn't allow 3 character posts)

wilson
12-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Below is the take for any true fan that would like to be on Mt Hatemore.
The bucket list dream is the University of Not attending Class always needs to lose no exceptions. I would like the game at Rupp and I would like to wear a Laettner Duke jersey and pull as hard as I can for UK. Having the jersey on should make it clear that I have a death wish.FIFY

Teton Jack
12-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Given UNC's dubious status as a place of "higher education" (Oh, Lord, it is hard to say "even compared to UK"), does it really matter? Besides, what I saw of Tennessee vs. UNC, the Cheaters can't shoot from the outside to save themselves. I expect a slaughter.

BLPOG
12-12-2016, 10:13 AM
I recall a time not too long ago when the responses to this question would have been much more mixed.

The revelations about the academic scandal really moved the needle, and rightfully so. The rivalry has changed.

ABC.

JasonEvans
12-12-2016, 10:14 AM
I know I am an aberration, but I will be happiest with Carolina winning this game as it is good for the ACC's reputation and will make our thumping of Carolina (2 or 3 times) seem all the more impressive. Plus, as others have mentioned, Kentucky is Duke's rival in recruiting and any decline they suffer is good for us.

That said, no matter how the game comes out, I will be happy because one of these two horrible schools (both cheat and flaunt the rules, mercilessly, and both make a mockery of the term student/athlete) will lose a game... which is always a good thing.

-Jason "here's to both coaches getting multiple technical fouls" Evans

Indoor66
12-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Choice 1: THEY BOTH LOSE

Choice 2: THEY ARE BOTH PUT ON PROBATION

Choice 3: unCheat loses by 50.

moonpie23
12-12-2016, 10:31 AM
how can this still be a thing?

if you are pulling for UNC.......EVER.....for ANY REASON...

you need to go look in the mirror and say " i am pulling FOR UNC !"

jv001
12-12-2016, 10:32 AM
9F-------------9F--------------------9F

I'm still hoping the cheats get slammed by the NCAA!
GoDuke!!!!!!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
I know I am an aberration, but I will be happiest with Carolina winning this game as it is good for the ACC's reputation and will make our thumping of Carolina (2 or 3 times) seem all the more impressive. Plus, as others have mentioned, Kentucky is Duke's rival in recruiting and any decline they suffer is good for us.

That said, no matter how the game comes out, I will be happy because one of these two horrible schools (both cheat and flaunt the rules, mercilessly, and both make a mockery of the term student/athlete) will lose a game... which is always a good thing.

-Jason "here's to both coaches getting multiple technical fouls" Evans

Glad to know I am not alone in my thinking. Was worried I would get booted from DBR. Your rationale is exactly mine, meaning we should probably both get our heads examined.

Saratoga2
12-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Glad to know I am not alone in my thinking. Was worried I would get booted from DBR. Your rationale is exactly mine, meaning we should probably both get our heads examined.

The certain news is that one of them will pick up a loss.

Troublemaker
12-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Whenever I watch a game in which I have no rooting interest, I tend to pull for whomever is less likely to challenge Duke in prestige and/or seeding. I'm not sure who that would be in this matchup. I could potentially be convinced that it's UNC.

I'm keeping it simple - ABC.

However, UNC probably is slightly more of a seeding threat. Duke wants to be the #1 seed in the East so we can play the S16 and E8 games in Madison Square Garden, which has sort of become our home away from home and is a place that we've played twice in already this season. Because the committee places teams by geography when possible, Villanova is our biggest threat to take the #1 seed in the East; Kentucky is much less of a threat because they would be geo-placed in the South regional (Memphis). After Villanova, our biggest threat is probably the 2nd-best team in the ACC, which could be UNC. Imagine a scenario in which Duke wins the regular season at 15-3 and UNC goes 13-5 and the two teams split our series 1-1. Now, unfortunately Duke gets upset in the ACC tournament semis, and UNC goes on to win it. Between Duke and UNC, who should get the #1 seed in the East? I would argue Duke but it would help if UNC's non-conference resume isn't too impressive.

Now, obviously, let's hope Duke goes 18-0 in conference AND wins the tournament to make it easy. But contingencies should be planned for in case things don't work out as we had hoped.

But like I said, I'm keeping it simple - ABC.

Sir Stealth
12-12-2016, 10:56 AM
My brain cannot even process the idea of a Duke fan ever rooting for UNC, especially now that they have fallen from "worthy-but-still loathsome rival" to "multi-generational fraud manifested as an athletics program." I have no love for the attitude about Duke among Kentucky fans or for Calipari, but none of that even puts UK in the same universe as UNC. I hope Kentucky wins by 100.

OldPhiKap
12-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Anybody But Carolina. Then, now, forever. Without exception.

9F.

hudlow
12-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Can't decide if I want the cheats to lose by 40 or if I want their hearts ripped out on a last second tap in...

Trinity_93
12-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Kentucky, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Why? Remember a few years ago there was a one-and-done (class of John Wall?) at UK who got some attention in the press because he knew he wasn't coming back and essentially dropped out after Christmas.

And at Kentucky, they could tell the difference.

UrinalCake
12-12-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm keeping it simple - ABC.

However, UNC probably is slightly more of a seeding threat.

I would argue that Kentucky is a greater seeding threat. Geography aside, they could reasonably expect to go undefeated in the weak SEC and win their conference tournament as well. In other words, entering the NCAA's with only 1 loss wouldn't be an outrageous notion if they were to beat UNC.

OTOH, the CHeats have to play us twice along with a conference schedule that is brutally backloaded. So just in terms of record, I think UK is almost guaranteed to be a #1 seed but if they lose to UNC while we beat UNC twice then we would have geographic preference over them.

mattman91
12-12-2016, 11:32 AM
When UNC is playing --- the ACC.

GTHC GTH

Troublemaker
12-12-2016, 11:38 AM
I would argue that Kentucky is a greater seeding threat. Geography aside, they could reasonably expect to go undefeated in the weak SEC and win their conference tournament as well. In other words, entering the NCAA's with only 1 loss wouldn't be an outrageous notion if they were to beat UNC.

Under that scenario, Kentucky would just get the #1 seed in the South. The prize we're after is the East and Madison Square Garden. In fact, the better Kentucky does, the more likely they are to end up in Memphis.

jacone21
12-12-2016, 11:39 AM
I will rooting for a short-lived but highly severe gastrointestinal illness that results in multiple instances of on court barfing by the players and coaches, and which leads to uncontrolled sympathy barfing throughout the arena. A true barf-o-rama, much like the blueberry pie one caused by LardAss and recounted by Gordie in Stand By Me.

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Under that scenario, Kentucky would just get the #1 seed in the South. The prize we're after is the East and Madison Square Garden. In fact, the better Kentucky does, the more likely they are to end up in Memphis.

Which I really like. I want the East, not the South. For Duke and selfish reasons, gimme the East ten times out of ten.

Also, ABC. It represents the following:

-Anyone But Carolina
-Three letters that UNC players cannot read, despite being as easy as 1,2,3

MChambers
12-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Meteor. Two of them in fact. One for each bench.

Classic meteor game.

gep
12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
What about this. Kentucky loses... then unc gets post-season ban the next day along with vacated wins and championships.

English
12-12-2016, 11:52 AM

OTOH, the CHeats have to play us twice along with a conference schedule that is brutally backloaded. So just in terms of record, I think UK is almost guaranteed to be a #1 seed but if they lose to UNC while we beat UNC twice then we would have geographic preference over them.

The bolded is certainly possible, but I wouldn't really call it a reasonable expectation. Going undefeated in conference play, even in a conference as mediocre as the SEC, is incredibly tough. Cal's monster 39-1 team even needed a TON of help to pull it off in 2014-15. The SEC was no better that year, but UK still needed OT to beat Ole Miss by 3pts, they needed 2OT to beat TAMU, and they squeaked by LSU by a basket that year. We've already seen this iteration lose wire-to-wire to a stiff (but beatable) IU team in Rupp.

I guess this is a bit beside the point since they almost certainly won't need to go undefeated in conference to get a 1-seed (probably not even to get the #1 overall seed) and challenge the good guys for NCAAT seeding. And also because 9F, 9F, 9F!

I'm hoping for a sloppy, disjointed 53-51* type game where the biggest takeaways are: 1) it seems both teams are wildly overrated; 2) I guess one team won because they couldn't both lose, but my God, that was unwatchable; 3) I've never seen both teams foul out their entire starting lineups in a game before; 4) I've never seen both coaches get two T's and get ejected in the same game before; 5) what an embarrassment to both conferences that display was.

*UK win hits a tear-your-heart-out buzzer beater by someone not in the starting lineup.

Ichabod Drain
12-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Which I really like. I want the East, not the South. For Duke and selfish reasons, gimme the East ten times out of ten.

Also, ABC. It represents the following:

-Anyone But Carolina
-Three letters that UNC players cannot read, despite being as easy as 1,2,3

The biggest challenge for the east will be Villanova. They might drop a couple in the Big East play but I could easily see them finishing the season with only 2-3 losses. They'll win out their non-con in December but they do have a late January game vs Virginia.

Troublemaker
12-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Yep. I'm speculating here but I think what UrinalCake might be afraid of wrt Kentucky is Calipari's spite for Duke. It is theoretically possible that if UK gets the #1 overall seed, they would select the East as their preference (since overall #1 seeds can do that this season (http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/ncaa-tournament-s-no-overall-seed-will-be-able-to/article_a3edb08c-4d5b-11e6-94b5-c7d429188173.html)) in order to spite Duke. But most likely, they would just choose their natural region the South so their fans have less travel time.

jipops
12-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I really don't care about the "ACC is the best conference" narrative. I hope UK thumps the cheats by 50 and then Calipari develops laryngitis right before post-game. UK's supreme over confidence then becomes their doom for the rest of the season.

SlapTheFloor
12-12-2016, 12:58 PM
This is the rare game where Calipari actually has the moral high ground. Go Team That is At Least Wearing the Right Shade of Blue!

Ichabod Drain
12-12-2016, 01:00 PM
This is the rare game where Calipari actually has the moral high ground. Go Team That is At Least Wearing the Right Shade of Blue!

I would say Roy and Calipari are probably on the same moral plane, just in different quadrants.

elvis14
12-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I saw this thread last night. My first thought is that this is not a yearly question. It's never a question. Just to be complete, however, I did some research and came up with the complete list of times that's it's OK to root for UNCheat.

The List:

In depth research has shown this list to be complete although I thought it might have been two characters too long.

9F, 9F and 9MF'inF those cheating <redacted> of a <redacted> motherless <redacted> <redacted> and the <redacted> horse that they rode in on!

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2016, 01:07 PM
I saw this thread last night. My first thought is that this is not a yearly question. It's never a question. Just to be complete, however, I did some research and came up with the complete list of times that's it's OK to root for UNCheat.

The List:

In depth research has shown this list to be complete although I thought it might have been two characters too long.

9F, 9F and 9MF'inF those cheating <redacted> of a <redacted> motherless <redacted> <redacted> and the <redacted> horse that they rode in on!

Dude! Not cool! You can't blame the horse!

English
12-12-2016, 01:26 PM

The horse wrote most of the athletes' thesis papers. That's a violation (that will go unreported).

elvis14
12-12-2016, 01:27 PM

Good point. My bad. Folks, please do NOT <redacted> the horse those <redacted> <redacted> of a <redacted> rode in on.

vfefrenzy
12-12-2016, 01:30 PM
I have a good friend that went to grad school at UK. We both enjoy expressing our disdain for the other's favorite team. I suggested that we watch Saturday's game together, as it will be the only time all season we agree on who to cheer for.

devildeac
12-12-2016, 01:38 PM

The List:

Part of that last line looks very familiar...

:)

devildeac
12-12-2016, 01:41 PM
The horse wrote most of the athletes' feces papers. That's a violation (that will go unreported).

Clarification.

(anyone make the bolded words connection? :rolleyes::o)

brlftz
12-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Even going with the rational approach, my answer is still to go with Kentucky. The elimination of UNC as a recruiting rival has been awesome for us. I think keeping UNC down is more likely to be helpful to us than anything that helps UNC climb back into consistent relevance.

BandAlum83
12-12-2016, 01:52 PM
The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

'Nuff said.

rsvman
12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Can't decide if I want the cheats to lose by 40 or if I want their hearts ripped out on a last second tap in...

Oh, it's much better if they lose in the very last nanosecond in the most painful possible way. Last year's national championship game was close to ideal.

However, a slightly improved version goes like this: Kentucky makes an improbable (make it a banked-in) 3-pointer with 4 seconds left to play to take a two-point lead. The Cheats toss the ball inbounds quickly, pass it up the court to Jackson, who takes a long three (28 feet or so) right at the buzzer that swishes through; nothing but net. UNC fans everywhere have a huge adrenaline rush and jump up and down, screaming for joy.

But then, the replay shows that the clock hit double zilch when one angstrom of the ball was still connected to Jackson's finger, and therefore the points are removed from the board and the Cheaters lose by two.

That would be ideal. :D

UrinalCake
12-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Oh, it's much better if they lose in the very last nanosecond in the most painful possible way. Last year's national championship game was close to ideal.

For the final game of the season, yes. We want an ending that maximizes their pain and anguish, on a shot that will be replayed over and over until the end of time. But for a game during the season, I don't like this scenario as much because it gives them confidence in a moral victory, knowing they were that close to winning and could very well have won. Moving forward they could use the loss to build off of. I'd prefer for them to get blown out in embarrassing fashion, make them feel like they're not really an elite team.

However, a slightly improved version goes like this:

Here is my ideal ending to last year's title game: the score is tied when Paige hits his crazy three point shot, which happens right at the buzzer. Confetti falls and CHeat fans rejoice. But then the refs watch the replay and discover that he didn't get the shot off in time. The facilities crew has to spend the next 30 minutes cleaning all the crap off of the court, while the CHeat players and fans stew in their own anger. The overtime goes back and forth and ends with Jenkins's buzzer beater.

wilson
12-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks to this thread, I've discovered that it's pretty fun to Google "unc fans Villanova" and see what pops up.
This video (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article69975172.html), for example, is every bit as good as the one from chapel hill during/after the Austin Rivers shot.

COYS
12-12-2016, 02:39 PM
I have a pretty deep dislike of Calipari, even if I actually don't really hate some of the recent UK teams or players (KAT and AD were fun to watch . . . it was even more fun to pick apart how poorly Calipari used KAT on offense). I generally want UK to lose every single game . . . except when they play UNC. Because no matter how much I'd love to see Cal go 1-25 every season for the rest of his career . . . I will ALWAYS want that 1 victory to be an absolute demolition of UNC.

In fact, I remember rooting for UK in the tournament a few years back because I thought they had the best chance to knock off Barnes and UNC in the Elite Eight. I got my wish. I will gladly risk UK winning a championship if it means increasing the chances that UNC will lose.

ABC all the time in everything. It's a way of life.

niveklaen
12-12-2016, 03:34 PM
The answer to this question has always and will always be ABC.

But the question itself has changed over time. Before UK it was UCONN. We actually had way more cause to root against UCONN than we do against UK today. But even robbing us of 2 likely titles (99 and 04) did not push true Duke fans to abandon ABC purity. Personally, I do not think that UK is anywhere near as deserving a foil as UCONN was in these yearly questions. Its just hard for most folks to hang on to the hate now that Calgoon has retired. But that is the difference. UK will be irrelevant after Calapari leaves just like UCONN, but UNC will always be the enemy.

I am rooting for a soul shattering crushing of UNC similar to the one we just laid down on UNLV, but I predict only a 20pt win.

BLPOG
12-12-2016, 04:11 PM
The answer to this question has always and will always be ABC.

But the question itself has changed over time. Before UK it was UCONN. We actually had way more cause to root against UCONN than we do against UK today. But even robbing us of 2 likely titles (99 and 04) did not push true Duke fans to abandon ABC purity. Personally, I do not think that UK is anywhere near as deserving a foil as UCONN was in these yearly questions. Its just hard for most folks to hang on to the hate now that Calgoon has retired. But that is the difference. UK will be irrelevant after Calapari leaves just like UCONN, but UNC will always be the enemy.

I am rooting for a soul shattering crushing of UNC similar to the one we just laid down on UNLV, but I predict only a 20pt win.

I hear what you are saying about UConn and I largely felt the same way, but that's because I remember watching those games live.

For the folks that watched games in '66 or '78, they've experienced something else.

UK fans also tend to be less bearable than UConn fans (in my experience), though they are positively charming compared to the fans rooting for the miscreants in chappaheeya.

JasonEvans
12-12-2016, 05:03 PM
This video (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article69975172.html), for example, is every bit as good as the one from chapel hill during/after the Austin Rivers shot.

I like the straight haired brunette wearing a Carolina jersey but just laughing at everyone around her crying. She is the epitome of fair-weathered fan.

Reminds me of my all-time favorite Chronicle cartoon from my days at Duke. It was published the day after the heartbreaking 1986 national championship game against Louisville -- a drawing of 3 guys with Duke t-shirts, obviously distraught and more than a little buzzed who just watched the game on the big screen on main West. They are approached by a guy with a full backpack over his shoulders. He says to them, "Hey, how did we do? I was in the library studying?"

The cartoon was titled, "There was only one report of violence on campus last night..."

JasonEvans
12-12-2016, 05:04 PM
What about this. Kentucky loses... then unc gets post-season ban the next day along with vacated wins and championships.

I like what you have to say and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

ricks68
12-12-2016, 05:50 PM
So many good answers. In the end, however, there is no way I root for UNC at any time---now, or in the future. They are a disgrace to the ACC, and to humanity, in general.:mad:

GTHC

ricks

BD80
12-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Why attempt to bring logic or reason into this?

While watching the game, your heart will tell you who you are rooting for, no matter who you "decide" to root for.

Of course, if you can watch a carolina game and find your heart rooting for the tar heels, you are NOT welcome to watch the game with me!

Indoor66
12-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Why attempt to bring logic or reason into this?

While watching the game, your heart will tell you who you are rooting for, no matter who you "decide" to root for.

Of course, if you can watch a cheat game and find your heart rooting for the tar heels, you are NOT welcome to watch the game with me!

FIFY

Newton_14
12-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Never root fo UNC. I'd wear that shirt with Calipari's face on it for this one.

What he said x2

msdukie
12-12-2016, 10:34 PM
i saw this thread last night. My first thought is that this is not a yearly question. It's never a question. Just to be complete, however, i did some research and came up with the complete list of times that's it's ok to root for uncheat.

The list:

in depth research has shown this list to be complete although i thought it might have been two characters too long.

9f, 9f and 9mf'inf those cheating <redacted> of a <redacted> motherless <redacted> <redacted> and the <redacted> horse that they rode in on!

THIS. Times infinity.

msdukie
12-12-2016, 10:35 PM
What he said x2

X Infinity

msdukie
12-12-2016, 10:37 PM
I have a pretty deep dislike of Calipari, even if I actually don't really hate some of the recent UK teams or players (KAT and AD were fun to watch . . . it was even more fun to pick apart how poorly Calipari used KAT on offense). I generally want UK to lose every single game . . . except when they play UNC. Because no matter how much I'd love to see Cal go 1-25 every season for the rest of his career . . . I will ALWAYS want that 1 victory to be an absolute demolition of UNC.

In fact, I remember rooting for UK in the tournament a few years back because I thought they had the best chance to knock off Barnes and UNC in the Elite Eight. I got my wish. I will gladly risk UK winning a championship if it means increasing the chances that UNC will lose.

ABC all the time in everything. It's a way of life.

Excellent, concise summary of the way of things.

msdukie
12-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Reminder: If you root for unc in any sport for even a nanosecond at any point ever, you are not a duke fan.

weezie
12-12-2016, 11:21 PM
hole loses to kitties by 18 and Ol' Huck preserves each and every one of his timeouts. Even that first half one.

I'm enjoying what a goof Kennedy Meeks seems to still be.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Reminder: If you root for unc in any sport for even a nanosecond at any point ever, you are not a duke fan.

Easy now.... that is a pretty serious accusation to levy.

gurufrisbee
12-13-2016, 12:48 AM
I understand the question.

It's nearly impossible to ever imagine wanting Kentucky to win.

Nearly.

WillJ
12-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Son: How big is infinity, Dad?
Me: Really big.
Son: How big?
Me: Would you feel sorry for UNC if they had lost 100 times in a row?
Son: No.
Me: What if they had lost 100 times every season for 100 years? Would you feel sorry for them then?
Me: Is there any number of games that UNC could lose in a row that would lead you to feel sorry for them?
Me: That's infinity, son. Your hate for UNC is infinite.
Son: Wow, I didn't know infinity was that big, Dad.
Me: It's that big, son. It's that big.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Son: How big is infinity, Dad?
Me: Really big.
Son: How big?
Me: Would you feel sorry for UNC if they had lost 100 times in a row?
Me: What if they had lost 100 times every season for 100 years? Would you feel sorry for them then?
Me: Is there any number of games that UNC could lose in a row that would lead you to feel sorry for them?
Me: That's infinity, son. Your hate for UNC is infinite.
Son: Wow, I didn't know infinity was that big, Dad.
Me: It's that big, son. It's that big.

Gonna be hard to top this post today!

JasonEvans
12-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Gonna be hard to top this post today!

I predict WillJ's spork count is about to quadruple.

niveklaen
12-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I predict WillJ's spork count is about to quadruple.

How do you spork someone? (I don't see a button to push...) ...or do you have to achieve a certain status before you can hand out sporks?

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 01:28 PM
How do you spork someone? (I don't see a button to push...) ...or do you have to achieve a certain status before you can hand out sporks?

Should be a square on the bottom left of his post, with a green smiley face and a red frowny face on it (kind of). Click that, then leave an "I appprove" message.

niveklaen
12-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Should be a square on the bottom left of his post, with a green smiley face and a red frowny face on it (kind of). Click that, then leave an "I appprove" message.

Thx - just handed out my first spork.

Indoor66
12-13-2016, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the club.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Careful -- it's a gateway to bad puns.

BD80
12-13-2016, 02:11 PM

Please spork responsibly.

What does it say about our social enclave that the system REQUIRES you to spork multiple posters before you can spork a select poster again?

cato
12-13-2016, 02:13 PM

What does it say about our social enclave that the system REQUIRES you to spork multiple posters before you can spork a select poster again?

If you can't spork the one you love, spork the one your with.

toooskies
12-13-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm in disagreement with the majority of posters. I heard a story once (on this board, or elsewhere) of someone who said, "I want UNC to win every game except the ones against Duke. Because that makes the Duke victories more meaningful and the losses easier to swallow." I'm not 100% on board with that (I'd like to see UNC lose in championship games), but I see the advantage.

This was reinforced the year Carolina was TERRIBLE under Doherty, when I was a student on campus. Tenting for UNC was a joke (I was registered in tent 58 a few days before the game), someone lit a pizza box on fire for the "bonfire", and the game itself doesn't even register in my memory anymore, but I think we won by 30+, and I was bored.

The UNC rivalry would lose its luster if UNC was never any good. I want them to be good, and often great. And I want Duke to smite them when they care the most, when they expect to win the most. I want bragging rights among near-equals, not the feeling of mere superiority over an also-ran. I want my friends who root for UNC engaged with the team, not disconnected.

UNC being good is good for Duke. The yang to our yin. The darkness to our light. The balance which makes Tobacco Road the path through which college basketball runs. Let them be happy, so we can subsequently crush them at their highest moments.

devildeac
12-13-2016, 03:17 PM

And, you should be using the proper (anti-viral, of course :p ) protection for your sporking equipment...

...whether it be a PC, laptop or hand-held mobile device...

cato
12-13-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm in disagreement with the majority of posters. I heard a story once (on this board, or elsewhere) of someone who said, "I want UNC to win every game except the ones against Duke. Because that makes the Duke victories more meaningful and the losses easier to swallow." I'm not 100% on board with that (I'd like to see UNC lose in championship games), but I see the advantage.

This was reinforced the year Carolina was TERRIBLE under Doherty, when I was a student on campus. Tenting for UNC was a joke (I was registered in tent 58 a few days before the game), someone lit a pizza box on fire for the "bonfire", and the game itself doesn't even register in my memory anymore, but I think we won by 30+, and I was bored.

The UNC rivalry would lose its luster if UNC was never any good. I want them to be good, and often great. And I want Duke to smite them when they care the most, when they expect to win the most. I want bragging rights among near-equals, not the feeling of mere superiority over an also-ran. I want my friends who root for UNC engaged with the team, not disconnected.

UNC being good is good for Duke. The yang to our yin. The darkness to our light. The balance which makes Tobacco Road the path through which college basketball runs*. Let them be happy, so we can subsequently crush them at their highest moments.

* Well, in spite of HB2 and its effects

The rivalry died when Carolina cheated to maintain relevance. Shut the program down and sign Duke up for a home and away with Kentucky. And take away every win with players that would not have been eligible to play but for the institutionalized cheating.

Edouble
12-13-2016, 04:43 PM

UNC being good is good for Duke. The yang to our yin. The darkness to our light. The balance which makes Tobacco Road the path through which college basketball runs*. Let them be happy, so we can subsequently crush them at their highest moments.

Yes, if unc was perpetually bad, the rivalry would lose its luster, but if you didn't enjoy the 8-20 season, you were doing something wrong!

Edouble
12-13-2016, 04:44 PM
If you can't spork the one you love, spork the one your with.

In lieu of flames... "you're"!!!!

Sir Stealth
12-13-2016, 04:58 PM

The problem with this is that, unless the NCAA does it's duty, UNC is still ahead of Duke on the all time wins list. There are some other areas where they can still claim to have accomplished more as a program. As long as that is still the case, no UNC win is ever acceptable. The fact that hundreds of those wins are ill-gotten gains aided by massive fraud only multiplies this. Until there is absolutely no metric by which UNC can claim to be greater than or equal to Duke, it's not worth it to support UNC success just because you want more luster/stakes to the Duke matchups. The beatdowns are just as fun anyway, and better for heart health.

BandAlum83
12-13-2016, 06:11 PM

No cork, no Spork!

No pork, no Spork!?

No stork, no.......nevermind.

Just be careful, you never know where that poster's mouse has been.

DukieInKansas
12-13-2016, 06:33 PM

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

DukieInKansas
12-13-2016, 06:42 PM
If you can't spork the one you love, spork the one you're with.

FIFY

Newton_14
12-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Chris Jenkins Chris Jenkins Chris Jenkins.... oh how sweet it was. The only thing that could have made it better would have been the ridiculous Marcus Paige 3 had given the cheats a 2 point lead instead of tying it.... then the dagger from Jenkins would have made them cry even harder, hurt more, and made the list of "what ifs" even longer!!

But then there's 82-50 and the vision of Kyle Singler raising both arms high in euphoria at the sight of Miles Plumlee slamming home a two-handed putback dunk with authority!

Yeah.... decisions decisions decisions indeed my fellow Dukie In Kansas!

English
12-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Kris Jenkins Kris Jenkins Kris Jenkins... oh how sweet it was.

Let's pay proper respect to the hero of 2016 hoops.

ricks68
12-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Yes, if unc was perpetually bad, the rivalry would lose its luster, but if you didn't enjoy the 8-20 season, you were doing something wrong!

I have that shirt also----and it no longer fits either.😢

ricks

ipatent
12-14-2016, 12:02 PM

I miss those days when Duke would have home and home series with top nonconference teams like Kansas.

-jk
12-14-2016, 04:05 PM
I miss those days when Duke would have home and home series with top nonconference teams like Kansas.

Those away game were fun - and intense. I got to a bunch in the '80s.

I was there when Herb the "Crazy Towel Guy" almost got arrested into protective custody... Priceless! (Kansas had a bunch of video cameras strategically placed to record evidence of "incidents" that regularly occured there. Way before surveillance cameras were a regular thing...)

Of course, Herb really got arrested a little later after the Revenge of the Hawks game in the final four in Kansas City ('88), picked up for scalping - and finding an outstanding parking ticket from the '64 final four. Herb...

-jk

BluDvlsN1
12-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Well it's always, all ways, ABC.

It's not even the lesser of two evils, I cannot openly root for kentucky, karma will take care of them.

The only way thru this, is to focus on the ABC's of it, the cheats must lose
so that outcome in paramount, from a focused observer standpoint.

Sure it's all semantics, but Schadenfreude, it is.

(ok jk?)

OldPhiKap
12-17-2016, 10:15 AM
since this is a game that should be pretty interesting, let's prognosticate !! :)

well, since i didn't get the poll set up quickly enough (really? 5 min "deadline"??) i wasn't allowed to post my poll....then, when i went back and tried to DELETE this tread, and start over....oh..no...none of that mr pie...

sheesh...

Berry is expected to play, FWIW.

mattman91
12-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Go Big Blue!

OldPhiKap
12-17-2016, 10:30 AM
UNC 82, UK 75.

Not what I hope, but what I think.

MChambers
12-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Meteor 2, UK & UNC 0

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Yawn. Who cares. Whichever cheaters win doesn't mean a thing. I'm going to be busy doing something more important -- washing my socks.
Love, Ima

brevity
12-17-2016, 12:44 PM

What I like about this thread is how it started, asking about outcomes rather than rooting interests.

Unfortunately, it became yet another thread about rooting interests. It's fine if people WANT to root for one team or the other, but I will never, for the life of me, understand why people NEED a rooting interest to watch what should be an interesting game. Who cares? Watch dispassionately.

Let me tell a story to illustrate my point.

The year is 2028. Time travel is possible, but expensive. Someone grabs me from 2016, brings me 12 years forward, and says, "Take my ticket. I've lived this day before, and all I can say is that you need to attend the Big Ten basketball game between Shanghai State and Jupiter Tech." (Note: the Big Ten has since expanded somewhat.)

"What am I looking for?" I reply.

"Just watch the game."

So I do. Obviously, I know nothing about Shanghai State or Jupiter Tech, but the game turns out to be very exciting. There are many ties and lead changes, and I find myself switching allegiances regularly just so the score can stay close. Everyone is glued to the stands through regulation and three overtimes, and the ending does not disappoint. I meet up with the time traveler after.

"You're right, that was amazing! That might be the best game I've ever seen!"

"Told you."

"I can't believe that was a Big Ten game. Does that conference become more offense-minded in the future?"

"Well, all of the teams except Wisconsin."

"That head coach of Jupiter Tech. I heard them say his name, and it sounded familiar. Is he related to John Calipari?"

Laughter. "No, he's just part squid."