PDA

View Full Version : Dare I say it but... Dunk City?

SupaDave
12-11-2016, 10:50 AM
I haven't seen us dunk this much in a very long time. This could be an incredible season. The last time I can recall us dunking so much was when everyone on the team was dunking except Hurley - and he did indeed get him one that year.

Javin is good for one alley-oop a game. I've come to expect this.

Bolden goes straight up with it.

Matt Jones has SEVERAL dunks this year. Certainly not a previous weapon.

Grayson could be a highlight reel all year.

In case you're wondering - if Giles is Giles - expect some 360's and windmills.

Tatum is surprisingly more aggressive to the rim than I originally thought.

Frank the tank really reminds me of a bigger, faster, stronger Thomas Hill - but angry.

I'm not sure if Amile had one dunk his freshmen year - now he makes it look easy.

And Luke - man he's made the sophomore jump perhaps better than any other Duke player. Scheyer comes to mind. Perhaps Nolan. But wow. He's the guy they said he was.

This team is highlight city.

Reilly
12-11-2016, 10:59 AM
I thought Durham was the City of Medicine, but I'm OK if we want to change it to Brickeyville, USA.

Devilwin
12-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Brickey. Now there was a dunker. Recall him slamming one right in Scott Williams face...

fuse
12-11-2016, 12:00 PM
SupaDave said:

Frank the tank really reminds me of a bigger, faster, stronger Thomas Hill - but angry.

I agree Frank plays with a chip on his shoulder.

The statement above made me google T. Hill, who was 6'5" to Frank Jackson's alleged 6'1" or 6'2".
Faster than T. Hill? Likely. Bigger or stronger? Doubtful.

The real question is can Frank do a reasonable impression of crying Thomas Hill on the sideline? :rolleyes:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-11-2016, 12:14 PM
SupaDave said:

The statement above made me google T. Hill, who was 6'5" to Frank Jackson's alleged 6'1" or 6'2".

The real question is can Frank do a reasonable impression of crying Thomas Hill on the sideline? :rolleyes:

Let's give him the opportunity!

SupaDave
12-11-2016, 12:19 PM
SupaDave said:

GoDuke lists Hill at 6'5 and 200 pounds. They list Jackson as 6'3 and 205. So bigger - yes. Stronger? That certainly aint no baby fat on Jackson.

Dukeford
12-11-2016, 01:19 PM
everyone on the team was dunking except Hurley - and he did indeed get him one that year.

Are you sure about that?
I saw him try to dunk at a ACC Senior Barnstorming game, and he wasn't very close.

Newton_14
12-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Are you sure about that?
I saw him try to dunk at a ACC Senior Barnstorming game, and he wasn't very close.
Yeah I think Supa is misremembering on this one. I remember them showing video prior to a game one time, from the early shoot around and Laettner was standing at the rim and he would toss the ball up right in front of the rim as Hurley ran in, jumped and tried to one hand dunk it. Hurley was oh so close on most every attempt but did not get any of them to stay down. I am almost positive Hurley could not and did not dunk in a game at Duke. Not sure if that changed at all in his very short partial season in the NBA prior to the wreck that ruined his career.

stevoflurane
12-11-2016, 03:15 PM
And Luke - man he's made the sophomore jump perhaps better than any other Duke player. Scheyer comes to mind. Perhaps Nolan. But wow. He's the guy they said he was.

Grayson Allen says hi.

DukieInBrasil
12-11-2016, 03:20 PM

Luke's teammate Grayson Allen had the largest scoring increase from Fr. to So. year of anyone in the league last year, maybe ever at Duke? From 4+ ppg to 21. Allen grew his game in every category from Fr. to So. year.
I'm a big fan of what Luke is doing this year and his game has grown in every category as well, but it's hard to say that his jump has been bigger than Grayson's was, and that was just last year.

mo.st.dukie
12-11-2016, 03:40 PM
The thing I'm excited to see is whether this team can consistently create live-ball turnovers to get out in transition and turn defensive rebounds into run-outs. In theory this team should be well-built to utilize full court pressure, put a lot of pressure on ball handlers in the half court, and overplay passing lanes due to the amazing depth we have and the great size and length at all positions.

DukieInBrasil
12-11-2016, 04:04 PM
The thing I'm excited to see is whether this team can consistently create live-ball turnovers to get out in transition and turn defensive rebounds into run-outs. In theory this team should be well-built to utilize full court pressure, put a lot of pressure on ball handlers in the half court, and overplay passing lanes due to the amazing depth we have and the great size and length at all positions.

strangely enough, i don't remember Duke doing all that much full court pressure yesterday, certainly not the aggressive trapping kind. UNLV gave us lots of turnovers anyway. There was the sequence when Grayson got the huge run down the lane slam in which UNLV turned it over 3 strait times, and at least 2 of them were lazy, sloppy passes.
UNLV put a full-court light pressure on us pretty much every time they made a basket. I don't remember it causing any turnovers, but it did slow us down in the half court quite a bit.
It certainly seems like Duke has the bodies for full court press this year, maybe Coach K is just waiting until he has some time to have the whole team practice it before it deploying it, or maybe we just won't see it very much this year. I too like the idea off creating lots of live ball turnovers to create opportunities for high-flying highlight reel plays!

OldPhiKap
12-11-2016, 05:02 PM
SupaDave said:

No offense to any poster on DBR, but whoever chose "WeepingThomasHill" as a name hit the grand slam.

You can see the "oh, my God!" look on his face of incredulity.

What a moment.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-11-2016, 05:28 PM
No offense to any poster on DBR, but whoever chose "WeepingThomasHill" as a name hit the grand slam.

What a moment.

Burned into my brain. Don't even need to look it up. Impressionable moment on this young man.

wilson
12-11-2016, 05:32 PM

What a moment.

Burned into my brain. Don't even need to look it up. Impressionable moment on this young man.One of my favorite moments too. But FWIW, Thomas Hill says he wasn't actually crying (http://deadspin.com/5897795/thomas-hill-dukes-famous-weeper-finally-confesses-i-wasnt-crying).

SupaDave
12-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Luke's teammate Grayson Allen had the largest scoring increase from Fr. to So. year of anyone in the league last year, maybe ever at Duke? From 4+ ppg to 21. Allen grew his game in every category from Fr. to So. year.
I'm a big fan of what Luke is doing this year and his game has grown in every category as well, but it's hard to say that his jump has been bigger than Grayson's was, and that was just last year.

Grayson Allen says hi.

I understand that Grayson's numbers jumped but I don't really see it as a jump in skills per se. Grayson was talented - he just lacked some of the opportunity and consistency - and then of course the light bulb went on when given some time. What was his career high as a freshmen? 27 points or something? I had people calling me from Peach Jam when he was in high school like "you're gonna love this kid - he dunks on everybody" - so pardon me if I'm not as surprised by Grayson taking the ball and running with it. The kid I saw dominate the Final Four was the one I had been hearing about.

Meanwhile, we watched Luke struggle with what was supposed to be a money shot last year. This year - it's money. Luke also had some confidence issues (and I concede Grayson had those too but I'm thinking that had more to do with being the last man off the bench than actual skills - once he was needed - he answered). He's found his comfort zone and it shows. Behind the back dribbles, pump fakes, right hand, light hand, hesitation, cross-over, behind the back pass - dude is just sick right now.

SupaDave
12-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Are you sure about that?

I'm getting old man but I swear I remember Hurley getting one in a meaningless game and the whole team going crazy. But alas, could be some other short point guard I wished would dunk...

Because Hurley's own words:

"He said he has only managed to do so five times in his life -- once in a high school pickup game, once in a Duke practice, twice in pickup games last summer and then once this preseason in a practice. The last time, he hung on the rim like Charles Barkley, and the Kings could be heard screaming as far away as Reno." :p

BandAlum83
12-11-2016, 09:17 PM
1983 NCAA final. The NC State Jim Valvano masterpiece. There's a great 30 for 30 on that season. If you haven't already seen it, make sure you do. It's called "Survive and Advance," if I remember correctly.

It was my senior year, and a bunch of my roommates made our way to the backyard in Raleigh that night. Probably some DBR poster's and lurkers also.

Anyway, why do I bring this up?

The team NC State beat was the Houston Cougars, coached by Guy Lewis (grandpa on the Munsters). They had, among others, hakeem olojuwan and Clyde drexler on that team, for you younguns.

They earned the nickname Phi Slamma Jamma. In the semi final, I believe 12 of their baskets came off dunks.

Going into the game, Valvano told his team to not give up any dunks. Foul if you have to, but by God, do not give up any dunks. They didn't!

Houston ended up off balance. The most prolific dunking college team that year and for a long time did not get one dunk in that losing effort. Olajuwan got to tournament's MOP, but no dunks in the final.

Fun fact: there are 2 dunks in that game: one to open the scoring, and the last most famous one, to finish the game. Both were by the Pack.

So when we start talking dunk city, I get a little nervous and think back to Phi Slamma Jamma.

SupaDave
12-11-2016, 09:20 PM
1983 NCAA final. The NC State Jim Valvano masterpiece. There's a great 30 for 30 on that season. If you haven't already seen it, make sure you do. It's called "Survive and Advance," if I remember correctly.

It was my senior year, and a bunch of my roommates made our way to the backyard in Raleigh that night. Probably some DBR poster's and lurkers also.

The team NC State beat was the Houston Cougars, coached by Guy Lewis (grandpa on the Munsters). They had, among others, hakeem olojuwan and Clyde drexler on that team, for you younguns.

They earned the nickname Phi Slamma Jamma. In the semi final, I believe 12 of their baskets came off dunks.

Going into the game, Valvano told his team to not give up any dunks. Foul if you have to, but by God, do not give up any dunks. They didn't!

Houston ended up off balance. The most prolific dunking college team that year and for a long time did not get one dunk in that losing effort. Olajuwan got to tournament's MOP, but no dunks in the final.

Fun fact: there are 2 dunks in that game: one to open the scoring, and the last most famous one, to finish the game. Both were by the Pack.

So when we start talking dunk city, I get a little nervous and think back to Phi Slamma Jamma.

I love this. The good news is that we've been the direct recipients of love from Phi Slamma Jamma. Got us a Championship too. He dunked pretty well his dang self...

Indoor66
12-11-2016, 09:32 PM
But Guy Lewis does not coach at Duke.

Reilly
12-11-2016, 09:46 PM
... Phi Slamma Jamma ...

... Phi Slamma Jamma ...

Has there ever been a better nickname? I cannot think of any. I just googled, and it looks like it was coined by a Houston Post writer, Thomas Bonk, and the Slama is spelled with just one "m": http://www.houstonpress.com/news/phi-slama-jama-lives-onbut-not-in-houston-6728133

YmoBeThere
12-11-2016, 09:51 PM
During either the 1991/1992 season, Cable 13 or the Athletic Department put together an excellent video of many of the dunks from that year. I think it was set to music from one of the Rocky films. They played it on the screens in Cameron during the Final Four. Does anyone else recall this?

BandAlum83
12-11-2016, 10:42 PM
I love this. The good news is that we've been the direct recipients of love from Phi Slamma Jamma. Got us a Championship too. He dunked pretty well his dang self...

I don't believe Justice's dad, Ricki played on that team. He joined in fall of 83 and graduated in 87.

But point taken. :)

WeepingThomasHill
12-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I would love if Frank Jackson turns into Thomas Hill 2.0.

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I would love if Frank Jackson turns into Thomas Hill 2.0.

I don't see the comparison. Hill was an outstanding run/jump athlete who turned into a very good spot-up shooter.

But he was a 6-5 2/3 with no discernible play-making skills. In 141 games at Duke, Hill had 177 assists and 189 turnovers.

I'm reasonably certain that none of us want Jackson to average 1.3 assists per game over his Duke career.

I see Jackson more as Jason Williams-lite. If he would stick around for three years, he might develop into an All-America caliber player.

But that's an enormous if.

DukieInBrasil
12-12-2016, 12:41 PM
I don't see the comparison. Hill was an outstanding run/jump athlete who turned into a very good spot-up shooter.

But he was a 6-5 2/3 with no discernible play-making skills. In 141 games at Duke, Hill had 177 assists and 189 turnovers.

I'm reasonably certain that none of us want Jackson to average 1.3 assists per game over his Duke career.

I see Jackson more as Jason Williams-lite. If he would stick around for three years, he might develop into an All-America caliber player.

But that's an enormous if.

Yeah, that's a big if. Tatum sure does look like 1&D material so far, can't say as far as Giles goes. Bolden has not looked 1&D-ish to me, but that may just be the lingering effects of the mysterious lower-leg injury. Daniel Orton got taken as a 1&D on less, so i s'pose it's possible.
Jackson OTOH, has shown no signs of not being in the 1&D discussion. He's shown excellent athleticism, of the run&jump variety, but also the explosive first step to get by defenders variety, followed by good play-making skill in the paint. He's shooting 40% on 3s this year and has been excellent at the FT line. He's been the nominal PG (sort of?) so far and has not done so poorly so that people would write him off as a PG. I guess i would say he's not a "natural" PG, that's all. He may not be a starter in any games for the rest of the year, and that may not hold him back from being a 1&D, seeing as how Corey Maggette did the same.
It would be super sweet if he stayed a 2nd year, but i don't see how the lure of the NBA wouldn't pull him away after his So. year, if not this year.
ed: to keep this post on topic: that follow tip-dunk he had was nasty!!!!

MChambers
12-12-2016, 12:58 PM

I completely agree. I think Hill had to be converted to a guard while at Duke. Pretty sure he played down low in high school.

English
12-12-2016, 01:17 PM

ESPN has also recently released a 30 for 30 about Phi Slama Jama, creatively enough entitled "Phi Slama Jama." I recommend that one, too. From ESPN:

"They were the most popular fraternity on the campus of college basketball in the early 1980s. Led by a Nigerian soccer player named Hakeem Olajuwon and a lightly recruited hometown kid named Clyde Drexler, the University of Houston Cougars not only electrified the NCAA Final Four with three straight appearances (1982-84), but they also helped transform the game itself. In this 30 for 30 film, director Chip Rives ("Brian and The Boz") brings back the high-flying circus act under ringmaster Guy V. Lewis and spins a tale of true greatness and crushing heartbreak. But while exploring that larger narrative, Rives also focuses on the disappearance of enigmatic role player Benny Anders and the lasting brotherhood that compels teammates and 1981-82 co-captains Eric Davis and Lynden Rose to try and find him after more than two decades of mystery. "

The story of Benny Anders, which is sort of woven throughout the fun basketball stuff, is pretty depressing and could be taken as a bit of a cautionary tale for young athletes.

WeepingThomasHill
12-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Jim, been a long time fan of yours.

On the Frank Jackson to Thomas Hill comparison, agree it doesn't really work this season, as Hill was not a true PG and Jackson is being asked to fill that role. In the future, if Jackson moves off the ball (if we get a true PG in next year - perhaps Quade Green), we could see him fill a Hill role of perimeter shooting and attacking the rim, while also playing tough defense.

ChillinDuke
12-12-2016, 02:28 PM

On the Frank Jackson to Thomas Hill comparison, agree it doesn't really work this season, as Hill was not a true PG and Jackson is being asked to fill that role. In the future, if Jackson moves off the ball (if we get a true PG in next year - perhaps Quade Green), we could see him fill a Hill role of perimeter shooting and attacking the rim, while also playing tough defense.

Well we won't be getting Quade, seeing as he committed to Kentucky. But your larger point stands.

- Chillin

Edouble
12-12-2016, 03:16 PM
ESPN has also recently released a 30 for 30 about Phi Slama Jama, creatively enough entitled "Phi Slama Jama." I recommend that one, too. From ESPN:

"They were the most popular fraternity on the campus of college basketball in the early 1980s. Led by a Nigerian soccer player named Hakeem Olajuwon and a lightly recruited hometown kid named Clyde Drexler, the University of Houston Cougars not only electrified the NCAA Final Four with three straight appearances (1982-84), but they also helped transform the game itself. In this 30 for 30 film, director Chip Rives ("Brian and The Boz") brings back the high-flying circus act under ringmaster Guy V. Lewis and spins a tale of true greatness and crushing heartbreak. But while exploring that larger narrative, Rives also focuses on the disappearance of enigmatic role player Benny Anders and the lasting brotherhood that compels teammates and 1981-82 co-captains Eric Davis and Lynden Rose to try and find him after more than two decades of mystery. "

The story of Benny Anders, which is sort of woven throughout the fun basketball stuff, is pretty depressing and could be taken as a bit of a cautionary tale for young athletes.

Actually, he was named Akeem Olajuwon!

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 03:21 PM

Thomas Hill and Bobby Hurley were classmates. I'm reasonably certain Thomas Hill never played a second of point guard in his Duke career.

There are better Duke analogs IMO. Johnny Dawkins, Jason Williams, Jeff Capel, Nolan Smith, et. al. all about Jackson's size, all of whom played both point and shooting guard at Duke.

MChambers
12-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Quinn Snyder as a comp for Jackson? Jackson's more talented, obviously.

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Another dunk for the pantheon.

Mike Krzyzewski's first NCAA game, 1984, Duke loses a close and controversial game to Washington and its German imports Detlef Schrempf and Christian Welp.

Fast forward to the next season. Duke hosts Washington and brings its A game. Seriously pumped.

Second half. Duke's David Henderson gets the ball in transition. Washington has a player named Reggie Rogers. An okay basketball player, a great college football player. Played as a defensive tackle in the NFL, 6-6, 280 or so. Had some serious substance abuse issues and died young and tragically.

But that was all in the future. And I suspect Rogers wasn't 280. But at least 240. But Henderson just elevated over Rogers and posterized him.

I've seen more graceful dunks, more athletic dunks, dunks with more elevation. But for sheer ferocity, this one was pretty close to the top of the list.

Duke won 71-59, btw.

ricks68
12-12-2016, 06:51 PM
But Guy Lewis does not coach at Duke.

Really didn't coach much at Houston during those glamour years, either., That's the reason he keeps getting rejected as a HOF coach, IMHO. He just let those guys play. I was living in Houston at the time, and PSJ was all the rage. Their talent was astounding. The problem was that they chose to just play on instinct without their coach having much effect. On a number of occasions, the huddle during timeouts had a mike in there, and showed that the players did not listen to what Lewis wanted them to do after breaking the huddle. Heck, most of the Houston guys learned what to do from playing at Fonde rec center off campus while playing against the pros in pick up games. For those in the know, that was some of the best basketball being played anywhere. Not only were current pros playing there when in town (which was often), but there were a number of retired pros living in town (one was my neighbor, McCoy McLemore) and current and retired Globetrotters that played at Fonde on a regular basis. There are a number of stories out there on how Olajuwon was "schooled" by a number of players over there on his way to stardom, some of which were Moses Malone and Elvin Hayes. Penny Hardaway, Nick Van Exel, Calvin Murphy, T.J. Ford, John Lucas and Dennis Rodman also made appearances there on numerous occasions, along with so many more.

"To play here," reads the plaque on the Fonde Recreation Center's gym wall, "your game has got to be established, your desire must be proven, and your love for the game had better be pure." Heck, they even have their own Hall of Fame of players that play in their yearly Pro Am league summer games.

That's how PSJ players honed their craft. Unfortunately, it was their lack of decent college coaching that ultimately failed them.

ricks

OldPhiKap
12-12-2016, 09:12 PM

Thomas was a glue guy leader, and agree that Frank can fill that role over time. An unbroken chain of good guard leaders.

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Frank Jackson came to Duke with the understanding that Duke would help him refine the point-guard skills he will need to play at the next level.

sagegrouse
12-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Really didn't coach much at Houston during those glamour years, either., That's the reason he keeps getting rejected as a HOF coach, IMHO. He just let those guys play. I was living in Houston at the time, and PSJ was all the rage. Their talent was astounding. The problem was that they chose to just play on instinct without their coach having much effect. On a number of occasions, the huddle during timeouts had a mike in there, and showed that the players did not listen to what Lewis wanted them to do after breaking the huddle. Heck, most of the Houston guys learned what to do from playing at Fonde rec center off campus while playing against the pros in pick up games. For those in the know, that was some of the best basketball being played anywhere. Not only were current pros playing there when in town (which was often), but there were a number of retired pros living in town (one was my neighbor, McCoy McLemore) and current and retired Globetrotters that played at Fonde on a regular basis. There are a number of stories out there on how Olajuwon was "schooled" by a number of players over there on his way to stardom, some of which were Moses Malone and Elvin Hayes. Penny Hardaway, Nick Van Exel, Calvin Murphy, T.J. Ford, John Lucas and Dennis Rodman also made appearances there on numerous occasions, along with so many more.

"To play here," reads the plaque on the Fonde Recreation Center's gym wall, "your game has got to be established, your desire must be proven, and your love for the game had better be pure." Heck, they even have their own Hall of Fame of players that play in their yearly Pro Am league summer games.

That's how PSJ players honed their craft. Unfortunately, it was their lack of decent college coaching that ultimately failed them.

ricks

Considering his Final Four teams in the 1960's with Elvin Hayes and Don Chaney, which gives him five Final Fours, it seems ridiculous he isn't in the Hall of Fame.

RPS
12-13-2016, 12:34 PM
The team NC State beat was the Houston Cougars, coached by Guy Lewis (grandpa on the Munsters).

Grandpa on The Munsters was *Al* Lewis (http://www.si.com/vault/1985/06/10/620877/al-lewis-bounces-from-stage-to-screen-to-the-basketball-bushes), actor, activist, Columbia Ph.D. and big-time hoops aficionado. When I worked in New York back in the day he was often at Knicks games (when he wasn't beating the basketball bushes).

dukebluesincebirth
12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Think Trevon Duval is ready to join "Dunk City?"...

http://fansided.com/2016/12/10/five-star-recruit-trevon-duval-unleashes-poster-dunk-6-foot-8-defender/

BandAlum83
12-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Grandpa on The Munsters was *Al* Lewis (http://www.si.com/vault/1985/06/10/620877/al-lewis-bounces-from-stage-to-screen-to-the-basketball-bushes), actor, activist, Columbia Ph.D. and big-time hoops aficionado. When I worked in New York back in the day he was often at Knicks games (when he wasn't beating the basketball bushes).

I was going by looks...with wardrobe and makeup they would be indistinguishable! Last name doesn't hurt either.

Of course, with ted Cruz also, they could be the three amigo grandpas.

RPS
12-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Of course, with ted Cruz also, they could be the three amigo grandpas.

Excellent point.

niveklaen
12-14-2016, 04:23 PM
https://theringer.com/disrespectful-nba-dunks-russell-westbrook-zach-lavine-andrew-wiggins-c928fa2b547b#.if9vwshfq

This site gives a handy guide for measuring the disrespect factor for dunks

ricks68
12-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Considering his Final Four teams in the 1960's with Elvin Hayes and Don Chaney, which gives him five Final Fours, it seems ridiculous he isn't in the Hall of Fame.

Guy Lewis was a fantastic recruiter in Houston and surrounding areas. Couple that with the outstanding talent there, and some great teams came out of it. (Just look at what we have picked up from there.) His actual coaching of those teams, however, did not appear to match his recruiting. It was pretty well known in the Houston area that his teams often did not follow his coaching dictates, and played on their own. (And if they had, it might have even turned out worse.) That's my take on the HOF situation, as I lived in Houston post Hayes and Chaney, but during and after Olajuwon and company.

ricks