PDA

View Full Version : ACC finishes 1-2 in Heisman

Olympic Fan
12-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Louisville's Lamar Jackson won the award and Clemson's Deshawn Watson finished second. Mayfield, Westbrook and Peppers finished 3-5 in that order.

Pretty amazing ...

Jackson will be back next year to try and become the second player to win two Heismans (Archie Griffin is the only two-time winner so far). Luckily, Duke won't have to play him next year until the ACC title game.

Watson is headed for the NFL draft.

So is Pitt RB James Connor, who announced tonight.

FSU running back Dalvon Cook is also supposed to come out, but he hasn't announced yet. (Note: We DO play FSU next season).

There are a few more possibilities -- including UNC QB Mitch Trubisky.

Devilwin
12-11-2016, 05:18 AM
Congrats to Jackson. Certainly an amazing football player.

KenTankerous
12-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Luckily, Duke won't have to play him next year until the ACC title game.

That's cute that you think that.

Not a Louisville fan though I live deep amongst them, but Duke football has to take the two steps forward after the three steps back it bumbled this year to even think about making a bowl game.

League title game - brogro, please...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-11-2016, 07:56 AM

Not a Louisville fan though I live deep amongst them, but Duke football has to take the two steps forward after the three steps back it bumbled this year to even think about making a bowl game.

Sheesh, buzzkill!

Congrats Lamar on a deserved honor.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Louisville's Lamar Jackson won the award and Clemson's Deshawn Watson finished second. Mayfield, Westbrook and Peppers finished 3-5 in that order.

Pretty amazing ...

Jackson will be back next year to try and become the second player to win two Heismans (Archie Griffin is the only two-time winner so far). Luckily, Duke won't have to play him next year until the ACC title game.

Watson is headed for the NFL draft.

So is Pitt RB James Connor, who announced tonight.

FSU running back Dalvon Cook is also supposed to come out, but he hasn't announced yet. (Note: We DO play FSU next season).

I happen to agree with him. As I said before, when we open with Alabama in 2019, Jones will be going for HIS repeat Heisman!:cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Olympic Fan
12-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Actually, I think Louisville is the one with the toughest path to the title game -- they were a heavily senior-laden team this year that collapsed at the end. On the other hand, FSU has a pretty fair QB of its own in Deondre Francois. They should be able to replace Cook at TB with a solid player (there will be some dropoff) and the return the heart of their defense. If their offensive line matures, they are the Atlantic favorite. Plus the carryover of this season's Louisville beatdown of FSU -- and the rematch is in Tallahassee -- should give the 'Noles the edge. I still like Clemson, but I have to see what kind of dropoff they have replacing Watson at QB.

As for Duke, the ACC title game may be a bit of a reach -- but not much. We were there just three years ago with a less loaded team. I don't think there's any question that Duke will be the ACC's most improved team (there was even a note about that on ESPN last week). The combination of inexperience and injuries hurt this year's team badly, but Duke will return the most experienced team in the ACC ... and the injuries mean that even more youngsters got experience. We have the strongest redshirt class in school history (Bracy, Birmingham, Brown and three stud OL among others). Then there is the Daniel Jones factor -- he started before he was ready, but emerged as a legit pro prospect after an impressive freshman season. And don't forget the likely return of Thomas Sirk. If he can come back healthy, he'll be a major weapon -- although not at QB.

Still a few rough edges -- Cut has to find a reliable placekicker and a non-blitz pass rush would help big time -- but the prospects are very bright -- better overall than in 2013. Remember, this past team, for all its troubles, beat UNC (probably the most talented team in the Coastal) and played Coastal champion VPI tough (losing only on a blocked FG). We also played Louisville very tough -- essentially losing on the blown fumble call inside the 10 and the roughing the kicker call late (not necessarily the wrong call, but a tough one to make).

Coastal Division champs in 2017 is optimistic, I know ... but it is a reasonable goal for this team.