PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs UNLV, (Sat. 12/10, 5:15 pm) ESPN, Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
12-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Discuss the game here. Duke is currently a 20.5 points favorite in Vegas.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

Kedsy
12-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Discuss the game here. Duke is currently a 20.5 points favorite in Vegas.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

My understanding was that in Vegas you're not actually allowed to bet on UNLV games. Is that not true?

brevity
12-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Fun Fact: the UNLV of 1990 and 1991 was so long ago that Larry Johnson is now a Grandmama.

According to Wikipedia, here are the head coaches who succeeded Jerry Tarkanian:

Rollie Massimino
Tim Grgurich
Howie Landa
Cleveland Edwards
Bill Bayno
Charlie Spoonhour
Lon Kruger
Dave Rice
Todd Simon
Chris Beard (19 days!)
Marvin Menzies

So basically the job is the Muggle equivalent of the perennially open Defense Against the Dark Arts position at Hogwarts. It's almost as if beating the Blue Devils in 1990 by a final four historical margin formed some kind of perpetual misfortune for them. What to call such a phenomenon?

gam7
12-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Who is going to Vegas?

ricks68
12-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Fun Fact: the UNLV of 1990 and 1991 was so long ago that Larry Johnson is now a Grandmama.

According to Wikipedia, here are the head coaches who succeeded Jerry Tarkanian:

Rollie Massimino
Tim Grgurich
Howie Landa
Cleveland Edwards
Bill Bayno
Charlie Spoonhour
Lon Kruger
Dave Rice
Todd Simon
Chris Beard (19 days!)
Marvin Menzies

So basically the job is the Muggle equivalent of the perennially open Defense Against the Dark Arts position at Hogwarts. It's almost as if beating the Blue Devils in 1990 by a final four historical margin formed some kind of perpetual misfortune for them. What to call such a phenomenon?

We already have a name for it: The Duke Curse.

ricks

BD80
12-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Who is going to Vegas?

Umm. Those that go to Vegas can't talk about Vegas. It's the first rule of Fight Club.

MartyMcJames
12-09-2016, 11:57 PM
I first became a Duke fan during the 86 National Championship against Louisville. I've been a die hard fan for 30 years. Ironically, I'm a '06 UNLV post grad. So this game has caused mixed feelings. I have no doubt that our guys will be all over the Rebels. The turnover this year for Coach Menzies is incredible and I have little doubt in the outcome. But I love the historical significance for both programs, the local newspapers have covered the game in great detail. Plus a great recruiting game for Duke and wonderful trip for Duke fans/alumni. Have fun. I wish I could have made it to the T-Mobile.

Phoenix22
12-10-2016, 01:50 AM
Who is going to Vegas?

Me. Driving in from Phoenix in the morning. I know a bunch of people who are going to be there. Looking forward to a big Duke turnout!

gep
12-10-2016, 03:10 AM
Me. Driving in from Phoenix in the morning. I know a bunch of people who are going to be there. Looking forward to a big Duke turnout!

Me too. Does nyome know if fans can meet the team after the game?

burnspbesq
12-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Driving up from OC later this morning. If you see someone wearing a 2005 ACC Tournament ballcap, that will likely be me.

Faison1
12-10-2016, 11:52 AM
The Father in me really hopes Jeter gets a significant amount of playing time today.

Bob Green
12-10-2016, 11:57 AM
From the Father in me, I really hope Jeter gets a significant amount of playing time today.

I expect Jeter will be given every opportunity to shine in front of his hometown fans.

richardjackson199
12-10-2016, 12:07 PM
We should win big today, no worries. I've flown from NC to Vegas many times, and the thing that always impresses me is the dehydration factor. I now have the cab stop at the grocery store on the way from the airport to Bellagio so I can pick up a case of bottled water and gatorades. The team will need to hydrate much more than they realize after that 5 hour flight, and stay hydrated. My goal for this game is to finish it with NOBODY else getting hurt!

uh_no
12-10-2016, 12:08 PM
I expect Jeter will be given every opportunity to shine in front of his hometown fans.

Yeah I imagine he'll get minutes. I also wouldn't be surprised if grayson sits this one out (for the same reason he sat the maine game..and K has hinted at hoping grayson gets healthy in this relative sparse stretch of games).

That being the case, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of tatum at the 3 allowing chase, bolden and potentially vrank to each get a good chunk of minutes.

My guess:
Lineup:
frank
luke
matt
T-bone
amile

luke: 35
matt: 35
frank: 25
small jason: 25

t-bone: 5
amile: 30
bolden: 15
chase: 20
vrank: 10

Bob Green
12-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but who is T-bone?

Billy Dat
12-10-2016, 12:20 PM
I know a bunch of people who are going to be there. Looking forward to a big Duke turnout!

Social media shows me a lot of Duke alums using this game as a Vegas "boys/girls" reunion weekend. Very cool, I had not even thought of that. Duke should hold a game in Vegas every year and invite UCLA/Arizona/UNLV/Gonzaga/St Mary's for this reason alone, lots of reasonable hotel rooms, flights from everywhere, etc.

Lon Kruger
So basically the job is the Muggle equivalent of the perennially open Defense Against the Dark Arts position at Hogwarts.

Kruger being the exception here, he's had a great career and used UNLV to continue his upward trajectory.

I am looking forward to seeing lots of Tatum and Bolden today - and how K will continue to mix and match the line-ups. The last game for 9 days and, hopefully, the last game pre-Harry. I am interested to see how Grayson is moving, whether Kennard and Jefferson can continue their torrid offense, will Tatum continue to rebound like a machine, how does Frank continue to be used with the expanded rotation, will Matt still be bringing the ball up a lot, will Chase play much in his neighborhood, how does the defense look with rarely used line-ups, etc.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2016, 12:28 PM
The Father in me really hopes Jeter gets a significant amount of playing time today.

Me too.

Me too.

Indoor66
12-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Yeah I imagine he'll get minutes. I also wouldn't be surprised if grayson sits this one out (for the same reason he sat the maine game..and K has hinted at hoping grayson gets healthy in this relative sparse stretch of games).

That being the case, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of tatum at the 3 allowing chase, bolden and potentially vrank to each get a good chunk of minutes.

My guess:
Lineup:
frank
luke
matt
T-bone
amile

luke: 35
matt: 35
frank: 25
small jason: 25

amile: 30
bolden: 15
chase: 20
vrank: 10

Upon whom have you bestowed the appellation of "t-bone" and why? Seems most inappropriate and disrespectful to me.

BandAlum83
12-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Upon whom have you bestowed the appellation of "t-bone" and why? Seems most inappropriate and disrespectful to me.

I'm guessing it's Jayson Tatum.

I believe T-Bone may be Jayson at the 4, and
"Small Jason" May be Jayson at the 3.

Thus, although Jayson will start at the 4, the vast majority of his time will be at the 3, because one of either Bolden, Chase or Vrank will be on the floor with Amile and Jayson at the same time.

If so, it might make sense as K works lineups in advance of Harry's return. The other guys can serve as stand ins for Harry, as K gets a look at Tatum at the 3?

Just guessing, maybe I should let him/her speak for him/her self.

I don't think the moniker was meant to be disrespectful.

uh_no
12-10-2016, 01:02 PM

how is it disrespectful? is vrank the tank off limits too?

it's awesome... like the steak. and if you don't like steak...... then that's just unamerican!

i thought it fitting given he is a ball of muscle that can score and board against bigger guys

in typical techie fashion, is common to refer to things as whatever comes to mind....."did you see bandicoot cumberbund is in that movie the wrath of the khans?" (benedict cumberbatch)

Billy Dat
12-10-2016, 01:02 PM

I had to be Grayson. If it's in reference to the steak, I googled and found the following, "I think that a cut of steak is something considered fairly rugged and manly"

Sounds about right.

uh_no
12-10-2016, 01:05 PM
how is it disrespectful? is vrank the tank off limits too?

it's awesome... like the steak. and if you don't like steak... then that's just unamerican!

i thought it fitting given he is a ball of muscle that can score and board against bigger guys

in typical techie fashion, is common to refer to things as whatever comes to mind..."did you see bandicoot cumberbund is in that movie the wrath of the khans?" (benedict cumberbatch)

i also recommend Tatum at the three being "the filet" (a bit more precise and refined) and in general he is the porterhouse.

budwom
12-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I can't think of any logical reason why Allen should play today...we have three gimme games until December 31, which
represents an opportunity for The Toe to heal...it would also allow some other guys to get minutes such as Frank, Jeter, etc...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-10-2016, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't see "T-Bone" as in any way disrespectful. DBR does seem to enjoy nicknames.

Excited for this game. Our team is growing in ways that are pretty damn promising.

Faison1
12-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Not trying to start an argument, but why do you find "T-Bone" disrespectful? It was usually used in endearing terms with the guys I knew who had the nick-name.

sagegrouse
12-10-2016, 03:01 PM
I can't think of any logical reason why Allen should play today...we have three gimme games until December 31, which
represents an opportunity for The Toe to heal...it would also allow some other guys to get minutes such as Frank, Jeter, etc...

I agree with you, but here's one reason. The coaches let him on the plane, and there is no power thereafter to keep him off the court.

Indoor66
12-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Not trying to start an argument, but why do you find "T-Bone" disrespectful? It was usually used in endearing terms with the guys I knew who had the nick-name.

Why do any of us presume the right to give anyone on the Duke team a nickname? Additionally, the nickname is out of the blue and has, to my knowledge, no significance to the player other than that the poster thinks it's cute.

BD80
12-10-2016, 04:06 PM
The really important questions are:

1) What beer goes best with T-bone?

2) How many minutes for T-bone?

DukieInBrasil
12-10-2016, 04:10 PM
any info about what radio station we might be able to internet listen to the game today?
I noticed that ESPN3 will be carrying the SPANISH version of the game, but ESPN will be carrying the English broadcast.

Faison1
12-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Why do any of us presume the right to give anyone on the Duke team a nickname?

Again, not trying to start an argument, but isn't it always better to receive a nickname from someone else, than to give yourself one? You remember the Black Pigeon, right?

BandAlum83
12-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Again, not trying to start an argument, but isn't it always better to receive a nickname from someone else, than to give yourself one? You remember the Black Pigeon, right?

Have we heard from the OP?

I was just guessing it's Jayson at the 4.

Edouble
12-10-2016, 04:20 PM
i also recommend Tatum at the three being "the filet" (a bit more precise and refined) and in general he is the porterhouse.

But a t-bone is a porterhouse. So you couldn't call him t-bone as a 4 and then call him porterhouse generally.

-jk
12-10-2016, 04:41 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

burnspbesq
12-10-2016, 04:45 PM
ESPN must have put up serious $ for this game in order for Duke to fly the band cross-country.

gep
12-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Looks like the alumni band?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-10-2016, 05:23 PM
But a t-bone is a porterhouse. So you couldn't call him t-bone as a 4 and then call him porterhouse generally.

A filet is the small side of a porterhouse, so.... to-may-to, to-mah-to?

I don't see any problem with nicknames, but what do I know? People in college called me Mustard.

rocketeli
12-10-2016, 05:28 PM
game must be pretty dull to some if they're already comment jousting in the first five minutes.
playing Derek Jeter and having Jason Tatum on the bench is like having a maserati in your garage and driving a chevette.

FadedTackyShirt
12-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Great to see the '91 clips, but bums me out that Duke doesn't wear the royal blue road unis more often.

Tripping William
12-10-2016, 05:37 PM
game must be pretty dull to some if they're already comment jousting in the first five minutes.
playing Derek Jeter and having Jason Tatum on the bench is like having a maserati in your garage and driving a chevette.

Dunno who this "Jason" person is, but he must be a really good shortstop ..... :rolleyes:

riverside6
12-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Little late, but live tempo-based stats for Duke/UNLV here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-unlv-basketball-live-stats-12102016

rocketeli
12-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Dunno who this "Jason" person is, but he must be a really good shortstop .... :rolleyes:

Ha. I was thinking of baseball so I wouldn't get too excited...I meant JaYson of course, just a typo.

BLPOG
12-10-2016, 06:24 PM
Dunno who this "Jason" person is, but he must be a really good shortstop .... :rolleyes:

Seriously. I thought the board had already raised the spelling-awareness issue in the last few days.

What if his parents read DBR? What if recruits' parents read DBR? They won't let their kids go to a school whose fans can't spell. We didn't go to chappaheeya!

Faison1
12-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Welp, Grayson came to play. From the get-go, it looked like he wanted to make a statement.

Tripping William
12-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I agree with you, but here's one reason. The coaches let him on the plane, and there is no power thereafter to keep him off the court.

Seems Sage was on to something.....

gurufrisbee
12-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Grayson looks fantastic tonight. Hard to imagine a better offensive pair right now in college than him and Kennard.

In a couple months, maybe it will be Tatum and Giles. I could live with that.

rocketeli
12-10-2016, 06:59 PM
seems Allen's toe is better

BullBlue
12-10-2016, 07:05 PM
seems Allen's toe is better

If its not, I can't wait to see him play when it is.