PDA

View Full Version : The Firearm Thread

mattman91
12-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Any fellow gun enthusiasts on DBR? What do you have? What do you want? If you have one, what is your EDC? Do you hunt or just shoot for fun?

I have never hunted, not really my thing as I could never kill an animal, but I do love going to the range. Right now all I have is a Glock 19 (3rd gen) that I got as a gift from my father about a year ago. It is the perfect handgun in my opinion because of it's versatility. The high capacity and concealable design make it ideal for those of us who don't have the means for an arsenal of handguns. It's recent adoption from the Navy Seals and USMC says a lot about the 19's reliability, imo. Being a 9mm, it is also budget friendly to shoot.

What do you guys/gals have?

mph
12-09-2016, 12:27 AM
Cool thread. Thanks for starting it. I've enjoyed shooting for a while and I've become and avid hunter over the past 6 years. For trap, I own an old Ithica 12 gauge that will break your shoulder and a Benelli Vinci that shoots like a dream. I also use the Benelli to hunt turkey. For deer I use a Tikka T3 .30-06 and my son hunts with a Ruger American .243. I have two rifles I enjoy taking to the range. The first is a little Cricket .22 LR I bought for my kids. Very safe and accurate rifle that the kids (or you) can shoot all day. The second is a SIG 516 Patrol FDE. It's a 5.56/.223 patrol rifle that I equipped with an Aimpoint red dot sight. It's great at the range and will be my go to weapon during the zombie apocalypse. My only handgun is a Springfield XD 40. Also fun at the range and good for personal protection when camping in the George Washington National Forest. I like the Glock but went with them XD because the slightly smaller grip felt better in my hand. I'm thinking about adding a laser sight to the XD but haven't made up my mind.

DUKIECB
12-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Any fellow gun enthusiasts on DBR? What do you have? What do you want? If you have one, what is your EDC? Do you hunt or just shoot for fun?

I have never hunted, not really my thing as I could never kill an animal, but I do love going to the range. Right now all I have is a Glock 19 (3rd gen) that I got as a gift from my father about a year ago. It is the perfect handgun in my opinion because of it's versatility. The high capacity and concealable design make it ideal for those of us who don't have the means for an arsenal of handguns. It's recent adoption from the Navy Seals and USMC says a lot about the 19's reliability, imo. Being a 9mm, it is also budget friendly to shoot.

What do you guys/gals have?I'm similar to you as I don't hunt (like to fish though) and like to visit the range on occasion. I also have a Glock 19 but mine is a 4th gen. It's hard to beat a Glock for reliability and ease of use.

I also have a Sig Sauer P238 which is a really cool little .380. It's built like a miniature 1911 in that it has the exposed hammer and is single action. Very fun to play with and very accurate to be such a little firearm because of the single action. It has the wood grips and stainless steel barrel and is gorgeous in my opinion.

Lastly, I own a Kahr PM9 which is a compact 9mm. Sweet little gun and super accurate to be that small and firing a 9mm round.

If you like to look at different guns and hear about the pros and cons I would highly recommend watching Hancock45 on YouTube. He has the most awesome shooting range in his backyard I've ever seen and I don't think there is a firearm made he hasn't reviewed.

bjornolf
12-09-2016, 09:49 AM
I have a few guns. Been shooting since I was 10 with my dad. Right now, I'm lusting after the Sig Sauer P226 Legion Series in .357 Sig and .40 convertible. Just something I think is very cool.

My pride and joy is my Smith & Wesson .38 Special M&P 6" barrel round heel revolver. It's from 1928, and it was my great grandfather's last service piece when he retired from the secret service. It's in almost perfect condition with just the slightest wear on the muzzle and cylinder edge from him holstering it. I'm a sucker for old revolvers. I feel like they're tangible pieces of our history.

For home defense, I love the first gun I ever purchased with my own money. Back in 1996 when I was 21, I plunked down around $600 for an H&K USP in .40 S&W. At the time, I figured if the USP was good enough for the Navy Seals, it was good enough for me. I liked the mechanical safety and exposed hammer. It's a DA/SA. I still love that thing. Very smooth and accurate. Back then I chose the .40 over the 9mm or .45 because I was a little worried about the kick and lower capacity of a .45, but wanted more stopping power than a 9mm. The .40 seemed like a good compromise at the time, and I haven't regretted it.

I'm an NRA certified RSO and BPI (basic pistol instructor). So, you could say firearms are my job. I also write for a website called gun values board. We help people figure out the age and value of guns they've found, bought, are thinking of buying, or inherited. I work in the S&W section, but there are sections for almost any gun. There's also great advice on there for legally and safely purchasing and selling guns, and even some repair. Check it out if you want. It's completely free.

PackMan97
12-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I only have one...an antique muzzle loader.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/12295/12691605_1.jpg?v=8CEFB51E1FB8AA0

It makes a great home defense weapon. The 6' long barrel makes a great blunt weapon!

Indoor66
12-09-2016, 10:46 AM
I only have one...an antique muzzle loader.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/12295/12691605_1.jpg?v=8CEFB51E1FB8AA0

It makes a great home defense weapon. The 6' long barrel makes a great blunt weapon!

I have one like it but the holster hits my ankle when I walk.

BLPOG
12-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Any advice for a first-time buyer? I keep putting it off because I'd like to get in some range time to evaluate options. I want something usable for CC, which probably means on the smaller side since I'm a short guy.

Indoor66
12-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Any advice for a first-time buyer? I keep putting it off because I'd like to get in some range time to evaluate options. I want something usable for CC, which probably means on the smaller side since I'm a short guy.

Take a look at the KelTec line. I have two and find them quite reliable. You can have .32, .380 or 9mm in a very concealable weapon.

DUKIECB
12-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Any advice for a first-time buyer? I keep putting it off because I'd like to get in some range time to evaluate options. I want something usable for CC, which probably means on the smaller side since I'm a short guy.There are tons of things to think about with CC but the absolute most important piece of advice I can give you is purchase a firearm you can comfortably carry. If you don't you will not carry it. You might think you will but I'm telling you if it is cumbersome in the least you will quit carrying it.

There are tons of epic debates about carrying .380's for personal defense and whether or not it's enough but if you buy bigger and don't carry it, then what do you have? YMMV and you may be able to carry something larger just fine and plenty of people do but my personal experience is start small and if you are comfortable then try something larger. Usually folks do just the opposite. My Sig P238 fits this bill perfectly as I hardly ever carry anything larger anymore.

Also, I'll second your own advice about trying out options on the range first.

bjornolf
12-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Definitely see what's comfortable in the hand as well as to conceal. Take a course. Or two. Or three. Practice A LOT. If this is your first gun purchase, and you have limited experience with firearms in general, I know it's cliche, but nothing is safer and more reliable than a good, old-fashioned revolver. There are several of them that are easily concealed. Reliability and repeatability are SO important, especially if the unthinkable happens and you have to actually use it, and a revolver has, by far, the shortest path to repeatability.

If you absolutely want to go semi-auto, I really like the Smith & Wesson Shield.

mattman91
12-09-2016, 02:02 PM

What everyone here has suggested has been great advice. the Keltec PF-9 would be a fine choice. They retail for around $350 brand new and are very reliable, and easy for cc.

If you have smaller hands, the Glock 26 (9) or Glock 27 (40) are nice choices as well, if you don't mind paying about $200 more. If you are OK with a .380, the Glock 42 is a great single stack .380 so you may prefer it over the others named since you are smaller framed. The 42 may actually be my next purchase as the 19 can be a little more difficult to carry in the summer time. Can you tell I'm a Glock fanboy? :cool:

But again, you can'y go wrong with anything that has already been suggested. Smith and Wesson makes some great options, as well as Ruger. I would recommend checking out different manufacturers websites to see what is available, and of course, go to a local gun range and shoot a few different styles.

IMO, the debate over caliber size for handguns is pointless. As a previous poster said, get what you are comfortable with. I would also add that hollow point ammo is the only kind of ammunition I recommend for concealed carry.

mattman91
12-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Definitely see what's comfortable in the hand as well as to conceal. Take a course. Or two. Or three. Practice A LOT. If this is your first gun purchase, and you have limited experience with firearms in general, I know it's cliche, but nothing is safer and more reliable than a good, old-fashioned revolver. There are several of them that are easily concealed. Reliability and repeatability are SO important, especially if the unthinkable happens and you have to actually use it, and a revolver has, by far, the shortest path to repeatability.

[B][B]If you absolutely want to go semi-auto, I really like the Smith & Wesson Shield.

I will second this.

mattman91
12-09-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm similar to you as I don't hunt (like to fish though) and like to visit the range on occasion. I also have a Glock 19 but mine is a 4th gen. It's hard to beat a Glock for reliability and ease of use.

I also have a Sig Sauer P238 which is a really cool little .380. It's built like a miniature 1911 in that it has the exposed hammer and is single action. Very fun to play with and very accurate to be such a little firearm because of the single action. It has the wood grips and stainless steel barrel and is gorgeous in my opinion.

Lastly, I own a Kahr PM9 which is a compact 9mm. Sweet little gun and super accurate to be that small and firing a 9mm round.

If you like to look at different guns and hear about the pros and cons I would highly recommend watching Hancock45 on YouTube. He has the most awesome shooting range in his backyard I've ever seen and I don't think there is a firearm made he hasn't reviewed.

Love that guy, but I think it is hickok45. I have been subscribed to him for a while, and I agree, his range is bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!

DUKIECB
12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Love that guy, but I think it is hickok45. I have been subscribed to him for a while, and I agree, his range is bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!You are right, it is Hickok45:)

Devilwin
12-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Ithaca Single shot 12 gauge shotgun.

.357 magnum Smith and Wesson revolver.

Eight shot Ruger double action .22 revolver.

Strictly home defense, as I don't hunt, but may take it up when I've caught all the bass on earth. But since I practice catch and release, that's not possible.:cool:

grad_devil
12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
If you absolutely want to go semi-auto, I really like the Smith & Wesson Shield.

I love the M&P line from Smith & Wesson. I have the FS .40 cal, as well as the Shield for my concealed carry. Love the single stack of the Shield - conceals nicely.

Tommac
12-09-2016, 09:30 PM

I just recently purchased my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson MP Shield 9mm. Last week I shot a friend's Glock 19 and loved it. Thinking about buying one for myself. It seemed more accurate on the range and held 14 bullets. The S&W would probably be better sized for concealed use though.

Indoor66
12-10-2016, 07:42 AM
I have always liked wheel guns. I have a Smith & Wesson 642 that, with +P ammo is quite a weapon. In considering concealed carry, I look at weight and dimensions. I have no expectation of getting into a Falusia style gunfight, so large capacity mags or # of cylinders is not a concern. Double stack mags just get too thick. That is one reason I like the KelTec PF-9 - 12.9 oz empty.

bjornolf
12-10-2016, 08:09 AM
I just recently purchased my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson MP Shield 9mm. Last week I shot a friend's Glock 19 and loved it. Thinking about buying one for myself. It seemed more accurate on the range and held 14 bullets. The S&W would probably be better sized for concealed use though.

When you get into good quality firearms (Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Sig Sauer, etc.) accuracy becomes a rather subjective thing, unless you're shooting from a gun vice on a stable platform. (On top of that, the vast majority of easily concealed handguns have very short barrels and are light in weight, so long range accuracy is generally not one of their strengths.) It comes down to your stance and grip, your comfort level, your experience and skill. Even ammunition choice affects it (some guns seem to do better with certain ammo than with others). A gun that is "super accurate" for one person might not work well for someone else. The important thing is to find the gun that works best for you. Part of my job is offering advice to people on what gun to get. I can help narrow them down to a group, but then I always tell the person to try several and find what works and feels best for him or her.

The most important thing is practice. Practice, practice, practice. If you fire 5,000 rounds with any well-functioning gun, you can get accurate with it. But also, classes and practice on situations where your gun comes into play are even more important. The vast majority of situations where a person needs to use their concealed carry firearm occur within 10 feet of a shooter and happen VERY fast. Is your "accuracy" with plenty of time on a range at 15 or 20 or even 25 yards at a small bullseye going to mean a dang thing when a large man is ten feet away from you advancing and pulling a knife? Learning when to use it and when NOT to (most classes teach evade, hide, THEN shoot only as a last resort), and how, is very important. Practicing it not until you get it right, but until you can't get it wrong is extremely important, because if you ever HAVE to use it, you're going to be under a ton of stress and you can't afford to get it wrong at that point.

One of my teachers told me that practicing your draw is the most important skill for concealed carry situations. In those situations, you want the time it takes you to access your gun (move clothing out of the way, draw, and get into firing position) to be no more than 1.5 seconds. THAT takes A TON of practice. I'm still working on that. In his opinion, how accurate you are at a distance with your concealed carry gun is secondary to how well you can conceal it and how fast you can draw and use it. He recommends purchasing a dummy gun and practicing at home in a mirror with it. Most handguns on the market these days have a plastic counterpart that match it in size and weight exactly.

Now, if you want a home defense gun, accuracy jumps up the list. The draw and ability to conceal will PROBABLY be less of a factor in a home defense scenario. However, you should measure the longest "straight" distance in your home. That would be the longest shot you'd ever have to take in a home defense scenario, and even that is unlikely. It's probably shorter than you think. Also, in a home defense scenario, you have the home field advantage. You should use it. Get very familiar with your home, the corners, the sight lines, exposure points and hiding places. A dummy gun is good for this too. Where is the best place to shoot if you have to? You probably want to avoid the hall where your kids, or spouse, are sleeping right on the other side of the wall with nothing to protect them but a couple layers of sheetrock.

Many teachers recommend the fortress approach. Teach your family to quickly gather in your room. Practice it. Hide them in the bathroom or closet. Lock the door. Call 911 and wait them out. Only use the gun if they break down the bedroom door and you have to. Unfortuntely, most homes' designs make it unrealistic that your kids could get to your room without exposing themselves to danger from the intruder. It might be better to teach them to barricade and hide in their own rooms and wait for you to come get them. Every home and situation is different. The best defense is an armed alarm system. The vast, VAST majority of burglars and home invaders will flee if the alarm goes off.

Ammo is very important in a home defense situation too. Hollow points are a good choice, because they have great stopping power and do a lot of damage. However, they spend that energy VERY quickly, so they are FAR less likely to hurt your family through those two layers of sheetrock than, say, a full metal jacket solid core bullet. For similar reasons, a lot of people like shotguns for home defense. A BAD choice would be your 30-06 deer rifle. That'll hurt the family next door.

Basically, like I said, every situation is different and every person is different, and the best gun and ammo for every person is different. I guess the long and short of it is analyze your needs, try several, and pick what's best for you. Sorry for the long, rambling response.

bjornolf
12-10-2016, 08:28 AM
I have always liked wheel guns. I have a Smith & Wesson 642 that, with +P ammo is quite a weapon.

Cool! The .38 Special Centennial Airweight stainless shrouded. Awesome gun. Do you have the Lady Smith version (probably not) or the original with the black rubber grips? Do you have the post 1996 version or the pre 1992?

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-10-2016, 08:38 AM

My top five CC weapons and most of my friends favorites, (all military with combat experience)

1. Glock 19
2. Glock 19
3. Glock 19
4. Glock 19
5. Glock 19

and if I had to pick a sixth

6. Glock 19

Indoor66
12-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Cool! The .38 Special Centennial Airweight stainless shrouded. Awesome gun. Do you have the Lady Smith version (probably not) or the original with the black rubber grips? Do you have the post 1996 version or the pre 1992?

I got mine in the 80's. It has stock rubber grips. Hundreds of rounds through it makes it shoot like an old friend.

Newton_14
12-10-2016, 11:39 PM

Glock fan here. Can't beat them. I have the GEN4 G19 & G22, and my wife has the GEN3 G26. All of them shoot great. I grew up hunting and fishing so have always had shotguns and rifles since I was a kid. started with the Daisy Pump BB Gun, then a Crossman Multi-Pump Crossman Pellet Rifle. It was a lot of fun squirrel hunting with that one! You had to be a great shot. I killed my fair share. Graduated to a 22 Rifle sometime around 11 or 12. Had that an a .410 single shot, shotgun. I was so small I was well into my teens before my shoulder could endure the recoil of a 12 Gauge.

I rarely hunt much anymore but we enjoy target shooting. It's fun.

Indoor66
12-11-2016, 08:06 AM
Glock fan here. Can't beat them. I have the GEN4 G19 & G22, and my wife has the GEN3 G26. All of them shoot great. I grew up hunting and fishing so have always had shotguns and rifles since I was a kid. started with the Daisy Pump BB Gun, then a Crossman Multi-Pump Crossman Pellet Rifle. It was a lot of fun squirrel hunting with that one! You had to be a great shot. I killed my fair share. Graduated to a 22 Rifle sometime around 11 or 12. Had that an a .410 single shot, shotgun. I was so small I was well into my teens before my shoulder could endure the recoil of a 12 Gauge.

I rarely hunt much anymore but we enjoy target shooting. It's fun.

When I was 9 or 10 I went with my neighborhood best friend to his Uncle's farm up in south Alabama. Red clay everywhere. We went out back with his Uncle and he had is shotgun with him. I had been shooting .22's and even .38 revolvers by then, but never a shotgun. I put that 12 ga to my shoulder, aimed, squeezed the trigger and landed on my butt. A heck of an experience that I will never forget - though it was a lot of years ago now.

wavedukefan70s
12-11-2016, 10:08 AM
I have a sako 308 .ar 15 shoots both 5.56 and 223.a m1 garand .i have two rugur p95 dc one 9mm one 40.
For home defense we have a utility mag pump 12 guage from mossburg.i use #6 bird shot .havent shot any of them in a while. I need to though.

rsvman
12-14-2016, 08:49 PM
... started with the Daisy Pump BB Gun....

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

TruBlu
12-15-2016, 05:55 AM
When I was 9 or 10 I went with my neighborhood best friend to his Uncle's farm up in south Alabama. Red clay everywhere. We went out back with his Uncle and he had is shotgun with him. I had been shooting .22's and even .38 revolvers by then, but never a shotgun. I put that 12 ga to my shoulder, aimed, squeezed the trigger and landed on my butt. A heck of an experience that I will never forget - though it was a lot of years ago now.

Funny story about shotguns:
I lived on a farm as a kid. When I was 6, I started bugging my dad for a 12 gauge shotgun. To dissuade me, he told me that if I could shoot his 12 gauge pump three times, he would get me one for Christmas. He loaded it with super high power shells, knowing it would knock my scrawny butt on the ground. It did. With tears in my eyes, I got back up and repeated the sequence two more times. He muttered a few of his words (learned in the Navy, but forbidden by mom), but kept his word . . . sorta.

He got me a 12 gauge, 34" barrel, full choke, breach action shotgun, thinking that I would not be able to break it open to actually load it. Initially I couldn't, but after trying for several days I found that if I sat the stock on the ground with my legs wrapped around the stock, I could break it open using my arms and back. Again he muttered the forbidden words. After some serious safety lessons (he was a Gunners Mate in the Navy) he and I became hunting partners.

Still have that shotgun,along with his 12 gauge pump (RIP, dad). Since then I also added a .22 semi automatic rifle, a single shot .22 rifle, a S&W .357 revolver, and a S&W MR15.

Just for the record, I would like to state that if a novice wants to purchase a handgun for protection, I highly recommend that you consider a revolver instead of a semi automatic. There are far too many accidental firings of semi's by inexperienced users (and even absent minded experienced users). And in either case, please take safety courses and refresher courses!!!

(And no, my dad passed away from natural causes, not from hunting with his idiot son.)

bjornolf
12-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Great story. You remind me of myself... very stubborn. :cool:

mgtr
12-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Interesting thread. I am confused, since most are using handguns. I thought that for home defense (as opposed to CC) the general rule was that a pump shotgun would be the best all around weapon. Is this wrong?
I currently own no weapon, last one was a Ruger 22 rifle for killing groundhogs at a country home I owned. Quite effective if you could get two quick shots in.
We travel a lot (by motorhome), and there seems to be confusion about CC from state to state (at least I was confused). I could carry a shotgun in the motorhome, as many friends do, and have some protection that way.
I am willing to be educated.

bjornolf
12-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Interesting thread. I am confused, since most are using handguns. I thought that for home defense (as opposed to CC) the general rule was that a pump shotgun would be the best all around weapon. Is this wrong?
I currently own no weapon, last one was a Ruger 22 rifle for killing groundhogs at a country home I owned. Quite effective if you could get two quick shots in.
We travel a lot (by motorhome), and there seems to be confusion about CC from state to state (at least I was confused). I could carry a shotgun in the motorhome, as many friends do, and have some protection that way.

Pump action shotguns are solid guns for home defense if you have the money. They are better for the "fortified" home defense method I talked about earlier upthread. Some people worry if they are going to roam the house that the two feet of steel preceding the home owner around corners can cause issues (from announcing your presence to being vulnerable to grabbing in close).

However, many people can't afford multiple guns so a handgun is often better for all around use. Recent advances in hollow point ammo have helped handguns make up some ground on the shotgun.

As for concealed carry laws in states, they change all the time. Best thing to do is check http://www.handgunlaw.us as they have an interactive map updated constantly with the laws of each state. There are some wild laws out there, so I recommend checking often. In DC, for example, you can be arrested for having a spent shell casing in your car. How crazy is that?!

bjornolf
12-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Pump action shotguns are solid guns for home defense if you have the money. They are better for the "fortified" home defense method I talked about earlier upthread. Some people worry if they are going to roam the house that the two feet of steel preceding the home owner around corners can cause issues (from announcing your presence to being vulnerable to grabbing in close).

However, many people can't afford multiple guns so a handgun is often better for all around use. Recent advances in hollow point ammo have helped handguns make up some ground on the shotgun.

As for concealed carry laws in states, they change all the time. Best thing to do is check http://www.handgunlaw.us as they have an interactive map updated constantly with the laws of each state. There are some wild laws out there, so I recommend checking often. In DC, for example, you can be arrested for having a spent shell casing in your car. How crazy is that?!

The website I mentioned includes laws for carrying firearms of all types through states/DC in an RV or other vehicle for many states.

davekay1971
12-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Several great thoughts and words of advice upthread. I'd also advise that, if you have a concealed carry permit, to look up reciprocity agreements between states. My wife carries a concealed carry S&W Airweight .38 (has a nice little CC pouch in her purse), has a NC CC permit, and is very careful about looking up reciprocity for any states we're driving to, or through.

Our primary home defense weapon is Casey, our 85 pound Czech Border Patrol German Shepherd. Our secondary home defense weapon is a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 gauge shotgun. The 18.5 inch barrel makes it easier for moving around the house. Fine piece of equipment. Looks and sounds almost as intimidating as Casey, and is almost as lethal. But, lets be honest, if I had to choose one or the other to clear the house of bad guys, I'd take Casey. Fortunately, I don't have to go with "or". "Or" sucks. I'll take the b-a dog AND the b-a shotgun.

My wife and I each have a S&W Airweight, although I still need to take the time to get my CC permit. So my Airweight is currently our tertiary home defense weapon, since I can't really take it out anywhere. So, I rely on harsh language and/or the forbearance of my fellow man for personal defense when I'm out and about (assuming I don't have Casey with me). My wife, having a more practical nature, has her CC and relies on hollow point .38 cal rounds in her Airweight for personal defense when she's out and about. So far, fortunately, our tactics have been equally effective.

We have a S&W MP 15 for target shooting but it has no functional home defense use in our house given that the houses of our burbclave have typical TMAWH orientation and construction and I'm not particularly interested in shooting through the bad guy, my wall, the neighbors wall, and the neighbor.

PS: Bonus points and eternal respect for correctly identifying the literary reference in my last paragraph.

bjornolf
12-17-2016, 07:38 AM
Sorry, I can't identify it. However, I love it and use it at least once or twice a year. I'd love to know where I heard it.

As for the CC laws, that handgunlaws.us website I linked above has the reciprocity laws for each state. I use it all the time. There are some books about it, but the laws change so often that many of them are obselete by the time you can read them.

davekay1971
12-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Sorry, I can't identify it. However, I love it and use it at least once or twice a year. I'd love to know where I heard it.

As for the CC laws, that handgunlaws.us website I linked above has the reciprocity laws for each state. I use it all the time. There are some books about it, but the laws change so often that many of them are obselete by the time you can read them.

Thanks for that. I'll bookmark it. I think my wife has gone through the effort of going to each state's website. This looks easier.

Newton_14
12-17-2016, 08:52 PM

You are correct in that the shotgun is the best option for sure. Especially for females. Having both that and a good handgun is a bonus for sure. Also, just a note... in all states except for New Jersey, and I think California, possibly New York too, it is legal to carry a handgun in a vehicle as long as it isn't concealed, which in reality means, place it on the dash if you go through a license check, or get pulled. Most people are confused on that and think you need a permit. You don't. NC is actually an open carry state, meaning you can carry your handgun in a holster on your hip or whatever legally. There are several other states that are open carry. That said, for those that do own handguns and carry them in their vehicle some of the time or all of the time, I always recommend that them and their spouse get their CC License. It's important that both do it in cases where maybe the husband has his CC and has a handgun in his vehicle, forgets to remove it and the wife hops in the vehicle and drives it not knowing the gun is in there.

In most states, it is not against the law and one does not need a permit to have a long gun (shotgun or rifle) in their vehicle. The shotgun would be a great choice for your motorhome. Especially the Mossberg w/18in Barrel mentioned up thread. Just be sure to check the website linked by others to educate yourself on the laws and rules in any state you may be traveling through or to.

Hope that helps!

Indoor66
12-18-2016, 08:16 AM
You are correct in that the shotgun is the best option for sure. Especially for females. Having both that and a good handgun is a bonus for sure. Also, just a note... in all states except for New Jersey, and I think California, possibly New York too, it is legal to carry a handgun in a vehicle as long as it isn't concealed, which in reality means, place it on the dash if you go through a license check, or get pulled. Most people are confused on that and think you need a permit. You don't. NC is actually an open carry state, meaning you can carry your handgun in a holster on your hip or whatever legally. There are several other states that are open carry. That said, for those that do own handguns and carry them in their vehicle some of the time or all of the time, I always recommend that them and their spouse get their CC License. It's important that both do it in cases where maybe the husband has his CC and has a handgun in his vehicle, forgets to remove it and the wife hops in the vehicle and drives it not knowing the gun is in there.

In most states, it is not against the law and one does not need a permit to have a long gun (shotgun or rifle) in their vehicle. The shotgun would be a great choice for your motorhome. Especially the Mossberg w/18in Barrel mentioned up thread. Just be sure to check the website linked by others to educate yourself on the laws and rules in any state you may be traveling through or to.

Hope that helps!

Nah, way to common sense. You need more statistics and advanced metrics to make a meaningful argument. Also, the post needs to be about 15 paragraphs longer.:cool:

cspan37421
12-18-2016, 09:30 AM
We have a S&W MP 15 for target shooting but it has no functional home defense use in our house given that the houses of our burbclave have typical TMAWH orientation and construction and I'm not particularly interested in shooting through the bad guy, my wall, the neighbors wall, and the neighbor.

PS: Bonus points and eternal respect for correctly identifying the literary reference in my last paragraph.

Neal Stephenson?

mgtr
12-18-2016, 10:21 AM

Hope that helps!

great info! Thanks a lot.

bjornolf
12-18-2016, 01:47 PM

Hope that helps!

Woah, woah, woah. That is simply not true. MANY states require a handgun to be unloaded and locked in the trunk or in a lockbox, inaccessible the driver and passengers. There are states that allow open carry in a car, but many states, unless you have a CC for that state or one it reciprocates with, require the gun be unloaded and locked up. See here for details: http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/gun-travel-transporting-handgun-united-states/ These states or city (DC) that prohibit loaded handguns in cars include but are not limited to: Alabama, California, Connecticut, DC, Florida (requires snapped holster), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine (can be in plain view but must be unloaded), Maryland, Massachussetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska (different areas have different laws), New Jersey basically doesn't want it in their state period, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington state. Several states that allow open carry don't want the gun accessible in the car. I guess they're trying to avoid road rage shootings.

davekay1971
12-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Neal Stephenson?

You are my Hiro Protagonist.

bjornolf
12-18-2016, 06:30 PM
You are my Hiro Protagonist.

Whoa, Neal Stephenson? The Snow Crash guy? I loved that book!

Newton_14
12-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Woah, woah, woah. That is simply not true. MANY states require a handgun to be unloaded and locked in the trunk or in a lockbox, inaccessible the driver and passengers. There are states that allow open carry in a car, but many states, unless you have a CC for that state or one it reciprocates with, require the gun be unloaded and locked up. See here for details: http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/gun-travel-transporting-handgun-united-states/ These states or city (DC) that prohibit loaded handguns in cars include but are not limited to: Alabama, California, Connecticut, DC, Florida (requires snapped holster), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine (can be in plain view but must be unloaded), Maryland, Massachussetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska (different areas have different laws), New Jersey basically doesn't want it in their state period, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington state. Several states that allow open carry don't want the gun accessible in the car. I guess they're trying to avoid road rage shootings.

Thanks for the info. I will research the site you linked.. I know for sure you can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle in NC without any permit as long as it is not concealed. I will read up on that site regarding the states you listed.

Also, up until recently a NC CC Permit was reciprocated in Virginia, however they no longer do that, but like NC it is legal to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as it is not concealed, in the state of Virginia. I am very surprised that Alabama does not allow that.

Edit: I just checked the site and Alabama allows a NC CC Permit Holder to have a loaded handgun in the vehicle with them. Those that don't have a CC must store them unloaded in the trunk, or in a locked box inaccessible to driver and passengers. Below is from the article:
Alabama
Keep your handguns unloaded and cased in the trunk or locked storage area inaccessible to the driver and passengers, unless you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in your own state. You may only carry a loaded, concealed handgun in your car if you have a permit. You may open carry in Alabama without a permit—certain restrictions apply.
Alabama recognizes all other states’ concealed carry permits.

bjornolf
12-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Well, yeah, a CC permit goes past a lot of these rules assuming the state reciprocates. I was assuming no CC, as the person who asked the question didn't have one, I think.

Handgunlaws.us is really the best, imho. They update constantly and have pretty much every law from every state.

mattman91
05-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Anyone ever purchased anything from Palmetto State Armory?

mattman91
08-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Looks like Glock is releasing Gen 5 soon.

Tommac
08-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Looks like Glock is releasing Gen 5 soon.

I just bought a Glock 19 gen 4 about 6 months ago. I thought it had only been out for about a year. Gen 3 were still available when i bought mine.

mattman91
08-24-2017, 07:35 PM
I just bought a Glock 19 gen 4 about 6 months ago. I thought it had only been out for about a year. Gen 3 were still available when i bought mine.

I have the gen 3 19 and love it. I also thought the gen 4 were newer, but they apparently came out in 2010.

bjornolf
08-24-2017, 08:20 PM
I have the gen 3 19 and love it. I also thought the gen 4 were newer, but they apparently came out in 2010.

Gen 4 have been around a while. I bought my gen 4 17 in 2014, and I always wait at least three years to let them work the bugs out. They were still selling the 3s back then though.

Newton_14
08-26-2017, 09:58 AM
I have the gen 3 19 and love it. I also thought the gen 4 were newer, but they apparently came out in 2010. I have the GEN4 19 and love mine as well. Mrs N14 has the GEN 3 26, and I keep my GEN4 22 in the bedroom. All 3 are great guns that shoot really really well. I do love my Glocks!

killerleft
08-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Gen 4 have been around a while. I bought my gen 4 17 in 2014, and I always wait at least three years to let them work the bugs out. They were still selling the 3s back then though.

"What kinds of bugs?", he says, and ducks for any number of reasons.

bjornolf
08-29-2017, 03:52 PM
"What kinds of bugs?", he says, and ducks for any number of reasons.

Every once in a while, you'll see a gun with a recall. My wife, the ME, always recommends wait until Mk III when buying a car with a major redesign. I try to do the same with guns. The corrections to the new design sometimes create new problems, so by year 3, or Mk III, it's usually all good.

Tommac
08-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Local gun store near Burlington, NC is advertising the Glock 17 Gen 5 this week. So I guess Gen 5's are out.

mattman91
02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
I'm interested in a nice entry level AR-15. Any suggestions?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Rough timing...

mattman91
02-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Rough timing...

Huh?

I finally found a local range that allows rifle shooting. The reason I haven't bought one yet is I thought I would not have a place to shoot it and it would just collect dust.

Someone gave me a flaming turd comment and I'm not sure why, or why this is rough timing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Huh?

I finally found a local range that allows rifle shooting. The reason I haven't bought one yet is I thought I would not have a place to shoot it and it would just collect dust.

Someone gave me a flaming turd comment and I'm not sure why, or why this is rough timing.

Not trying to go PPB, but...

One was used yesterday to gun down a whole lot of high school kids. :-/

The flaming turd probably came from someone who assumed you were making a tasteless joke.

I know you better than that, so I assume you had no idea.

mattman91
02-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Not trying to go PPB, but...

One was used yesterday to gun down a whole lot of high school kids. :-/

The flaming turd probably came from someone who assumed you were making a tasteless joke.

I know you better than that, so I assume you had no idea.

Oh, gotcha,

I can't believe someone would think I was making a joke about that.

That being said, I'm still not sure what that has to do with my post/question.

Oh...lets do lunch again maybe next week. I owe you one.

snowdenscold
02-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Huh?

I didn’t flame you but I am quite surprised you have not seen or heard any news of the past 24 hours.

All the articles specifically mention the use of an AR-15, so heads up there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Oh, gotcha,

I can't believe someone would think I was making a joke about that.

Sorry, I probably ought to have just PM'd you. I know you better than that, obviously.

mattman91
02-15-2018, 11:05 PM
I didn’t flame you but I am quite surprised you have not seen or heard any news of the past 24 hours.

All the articles specifically mention the use of an AR-15, so heads up there.

I have heard about it, but I was not thinking about that when I made that post.

mattman91
02-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Sorry folks.

I started this thread over a year ago so that those of us who are gun owners could have a place to discuss our hobby. I never wanted it to become PPB material, and I am sorry that it has started to slip down that path, that was certainly not the plan.

Here is the official gofunme page for the families of the victims. https://www.gofundme.com/stonemandouglasvictimsfund

BLPOG
02-16-2018, 04:54 AM

I'm planning on getting one this summer. I don't have the knowledge to give any advice now, but I'll pass on what I gather to the thread if someone with more experience hasn't already chimed in.

wavedukefan70s
02-16-2018, 09:20 AM

I'm not sure where you are located.but if your anywhere near south carolina.
palmetto state arms has a very good deal every few months.you can get a ar15 and a M.p. 40 for 600 or 700 dollars.

left_hook_lacey
02-16-2018, 10:26 AM
palmetto state arms has a very good deal every few months.you can get a ar15 and a M.p. 40 for 600 or 700 dollars.

And if you're in North Carolina, Academy sports runs some good deals. Just gotta keep an eye out for the sale. If you're in Eastern North Carolina, I can point you to some local mom and pops stores that have the best deals all the time. I try to buy local whenever I can, as a general rule for all products.

mattman91
02-16-2018, 10:31 AM

I was actually going to ask about that. I live in Asheville and have been to the PSA in Greenville before. It is only an hr away from me. I have heard mixed reviews about their products, but they do always have some really sweet deals though.

JasonEvans
02-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Folks,

While the moderation team understands that this thread is not about any public policy issue, the timing of the current discussion (only hours after a terrible incident of gun violence at a Florida school) makes it in extremely poor taste. The mod team is shutting this thread down temporarily. We will reopen in in a week or two when emotions have calmed a bit. Thanks for understanding.

JasonEvans
06-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Folks,

While the moderation team understands that this thread is not about any public policy issue, the timing of the current discussion (only hours after a terrible incident of gun violence at a Florida school) makes it in extremely poor taste. The mod team is shutting this thread down temporarily. We will reopen in in a week or two when emotions have calmed a bit. Thanks for understanding.

After a long break, this thread is being reopened. The conversation is expected to stay non-political. If you stray over the line, you will be slapped with a very serious infraction.

mattman91
06-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Jason.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/deals

I wanted to let you folks know that PSA has a lot of great Father's Day deals this weekend. I ordered a PSA Freedom kit last night. $259 for the upper (blemished), $30 for the lower, and 3 30 round mags for $6.99 each. Tax and shipping included the total came out to $350!

I have a few friends and relatives that have PSA rifles and they like them a lot. The internet seems to have a lot of positive reviews as well.

PackMan97
06-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Thanks Jason!

Long story short...I've come into possession of a few handguns, a pair of rifles and a shotgun. Nothing exotic. What do I need to do to make sure I'm on the right side of the law regarding the possession of these weapons? We live in NC.

mattman91
06-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Thanks Jason!

Long story short...I've come into possession of a few handguns, a pair of rifles and a shotgun. Nothing exotic. What do I need to do to make sure I'm on the right side of the law regarding the possession of these weapons? We live in NC.

Hmm...

You should be fine, depending on how you acquired them.

For the possession you should be fine, as long as you aren't concealing your handguns without a permit.

Acymetric
06-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Hmm...

For the possession you should be fine, as long as you aren't concealing your handguns without a permit.

Pretty much this. You may also be disallowed from open carry by certain cities (don't know which ones, could probably guess), even though open carry is legal at the state level. There are no gun lock or safe requirements in NC (of course if you have kids around they are still a good idea!)*

Basically, don't shoot them in a place you're not supposed to, and definitely don't shoot them into something you're not supposed to, and you should be pretty much good.

*Even though the law doesn't require it, there may be some liability stuff if an improperly secured gun gets used in a crime, I don't know

PackMan97
06-14-2019, 03:17 PM

The truth is stranger than fiction...I do have a story to tell but this is not the place. I would consider it a transfer from one family member to another.

Basically, don't shoot them in a place you're not supposed to, and definitely don't shoot them into something you're not supposed to, and you should be pretty much good.

Shouldn't be too hard. We didn't take any of the ammo. That limits our shooting options.

BLPOG
06-14-2019, 03:35 PM
After a long break, this thread is being reopened. The conversation is expected to stay non-political. If you stray over the line, you will be slapped with a very serious infraction.

Not to complain about a good thing, but...about darn time.

For those in the DC metropolitan area, do you have any recommendations regarding ranges in Northern Virginia or Maryland?

DukieInKansas
06-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Hmm...

Pretty much this. You may also be disallowed from open carry by certain cities (don't know which ones, could probably guess), even though open carry is legal at the state level. There are no gun lock or safe requirements in NC (of course if you have kids around they are still a good idea!)*

*Even though the law doesn't require it, there may be some liability stuff if an improperly secured gun gets used in a crime, I don't know

Interesting - this might not be true for all states. I can't find the link now, but I read an article where someone in NYC got in trouble because he didn't register an inherited gun. Of course, they only found out about it because he shot an intruder.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Thanks Jason!

In NC you must get a permit to buy a handgun. I can only assume you probably need one in order to legally possess one even if you didn’t buy it. You do not need a permit to purchase a rifle or shotgun.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-14-2019, 10:14 PM
In NC you must get a permit to buy a handgun. I can only assume you probably need one in order to legally possess one even if you didn’t buy it. You do not need a permit to purchase a rifle or shotgun.
Double checked... by law in NC, you are required to have a permit in order to receive a handgun from a private party, whether purchased or received as a gift. You apply for the permit(s) at your county sheriff. Currently, you have to have a separate permit for each handgun you buy/own. There is no limit on the number of permits you can apply for and receive.

PackMan97
06-14-2019, 10:51 PM
Double checked... by law in NC, you are required to have a permit in order to receive a handgun from a private party, whether purchased or received as a gift. You apply for the permit(s) at your county sheriff. Currently, you have to have a separate permit for each handgun you buy/own. There is no limit on the number of permits you can apply for and receive.

Thanks! I work downtown Raleigh so that will be easy enough to do! I misspoke earlier, I'm only thinking about taking possession of these weapons. :cool:

mattman91
06-14-2019, 11:24 PM

I'll add that if you have a concealed carry permit you do NOT need to purchase a handgun permit.

PackMan97
06-15-2019, 12:20 AM
I'll add that if you have a concealed carry permit you do NOT need to purchase a handgun permit.

I assume a concealed carry permit has to be in my name? ...because I have one, just not mine. :eek:

Indoor66
06-15-2019, 08:32 AM
I assume a concealed carry permit has to be in my name? ...because I have one, just not mine. :eek:

Depends on how much the picture favors you....:p:cool:

mattman91
06-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Depends on how much the picture favors you...:p:cool:

No pictures on them. Just take a Sharpie and change the name :rolleyes:

Indoor66
06-15-2019, 09:22 AM
No pictures on them. Just take a Sharpie and change the name :rolleyes:

In Florida they have a picture (or should I say Mug Shot).

bjornolf
06-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Not to complain about a good thing, but...about darn time.

For those in the DC metropolitan area, do you have any recommendations regarding ranges in Northern Virginia or Maryland?

Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas is awesome. Chad Dukes on 106.7 the fan does ads for them. Very, very nice.

The NRA national shooting range in Fairfax is very nice but ALWAYS packed.

Blue Ridge Arsenal is fine, but pretty run of the mill.

I’m a member of IWLA, the Izaac Walton League of America. They are a national organization of outdoor sportsman who fight for environmental issues like clean water and land preservation from the hunting/fishing side of the spectrum. They have hundreds of chapters all over the country. Most chapters have shooting ranges that are free to use for dues paying members. Stafford’s chapter has several really nice outdoor ranges: a 25 yard pistol range, a 100 yard rifle range, a fully functional shotgun range, and a woodsy archery range. They also have fishing. Of course, if you don’t live near Stafford, that might not be for you, but there are other chapters in the area. If you shoot a lot, $200-ish per year (depending on chapter) for unlimited range time is a deal. Some chapters have indoor ranges.

There used to be one in Newington called Gilbert’s, but they were bought out and I’m not sure they’re open anymore. They were kinda same level as Blue Ridge. Just looked it up. It’s now called Sharpshooters. It’s in an industrial park, but it’s not a bad little indoor range. Small but not bad. Conveniently RIGHT off I-95 just south of springfield.

Those are the ones I know of. If you want to shoot a lot and like the outdoors (or indoors for other chapters), I’d recommend IWLA. If you want indoor shooting with ALL the bells and whistles, you can’t go wrong with Elite. IMHO.

If you live in VA, I would avoid trying to shoot in MD like the plague. One of my instructors (lives in MD) told me he got arrested once because a cop found an empty brass on the floor of his car during a traffic stop. No gun or live ammo in the car, just an empty brass shell casing. I don’t even want to try to deal with that.

mattman91
06-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Getting anxious about my AR kit that I ordered. Still says "processing":(

devildeac
06-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Getting anxious about my AR kit that I ordered. Still says "processing":(

mattman91
06-17-2019, 10:40 AM

It is my fault. I should have just made the one hour drive and picked it up in person:rolleyes:

mattman91
06-20-2019, 06:05 PM
It has arrived! I just have to pick up the lower after work tomorrow.

Now all I need are the tools and a good YouTube video to explain how to put it together :rolleyes:

BLPOG
06-21-2019, 11:47 AM
It has arrived! I just have to pick up the lower after work tomorrow.

Now all I need are the tools and a good YouTube video to explain how to put it together :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about different ways to finish a lower recently. I haven't done it before so I'm not sure how practical it would be, but I think it would be interesting to try using a very basic home-built EDM rig in place of a drill press, mill, or other tools that not everyone has lying around.

mattman91
03-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Any small snubnose revolver recommendations? I'm leaning towards the S&W 442.

Edouble
03-20-2020, 07:24 PM
Any small snubnose revolver recommendations? I'm leaning towards the S&W 442.

Any way to order one online?

accfanfrom1970
03-20-2020, 07:34 PM

Maybe delivery? Groceries, beer and wine now.

mattman91
03-20-2020, 07:44 PM

My local shops are still open...for now:)

Crisker
03-20-2020, 07:44 PM
Any small snubnose revolver recommendations? I'm leaning towards the S&W 442.I have the S&W 442 Airweight with the Crimson Trace laser grip. It is a superb handgun depending on your needs and uses.

I regularly do remote back-country hikes and primitive camping. I needed something light for pack purposes and night-time protection. My .357 S&W with six inch barrel was just too big and heavy.

It's not uncommon for me to encounter mountain lions, bears, wolves/coyotes, and other critters. I'm not interested in killing anything, but having some protection and scare factor is a good thing.

As a former military guy who grew up around farms and guns, I am picky. The 442 was the right choice and goes with me on all hikes and camping trips.

If you might be using it at night, the Crimson Trace laser grip is the ticket.

Indoor66
03-20-2020, 08:20 PM

Sure you can but it can ONLY be delivered to an FFL dealer and you will have to comply with all background checks and waiting periods as established be Federal and your State's law and procedure.

As to the question re thE S&W 642, it is a great lightweight .38 5 shot revolver - with all attendant + & -'s.

ncexnyc
03-20-2020, 08:45 PM
My local shops are still open...for now:)
But do they have ammo left?

mattman91
03-21-2020, 10:38 AM
I have the S&W 442 Airweight with the Crimson Trace laser grip. It is a superb handgun depending on your needs and uses.

I regularly do remote back-country hikes and primitive camping. I needed something light for pack purposes and night-time protection. My .357 S&W with six inch barrel was just too big and heavy.

It's not uncommon for me to encounter mountain lions, bears, wolves/coyotes, and other critters. I'm not interested in killing anything, but having some protection and scare factor is a good thing.

As a former military guy who grew up around farms and guns, I am picky. The 442 was the right choice and goes with me on all hikes and camping trips.

If you might be using it at night, the Crimson Trace laser grip is the ticket.

Thanks! I do a bit of hiking myself and wondered if it would be adequate. I have larger handguns but my smallest is the Glock 19. I can CC it, but it can be a lot to lug around at times. I could technically open carry, but that is not my style:)

I went to a couple of local gun shops this morning...both super busy which was great to see. One had a strict 10 person limit.

Crisker
03-21-2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks! I do a bit of hiking myself and wondered if it would be adequate. I have larger handguns but my smallest is the Glock 19. I can CC it, but it can be a lot to lug around at times. I could technically open carry, but that is not my style:)

I went to a couple of local gun shops this morning...both super busy which was great to see. One had a strict 10 person limit.Good luck, and as you may have discovered, the model number for the Airweight with laser grip is 642 CT (https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-642-ct-crimson-trace-lasergrips). I picked mine up at a local gun show for considerably less (~$450) than the suggested retail. I don't conceal carry, but always have it attached to the front strap of my backpack while remote hiking. It's the ideal weight and size for this purpose.

mattman91
03-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Good luck, and as you may have discovered, the model number for the Airweight with laser grip is 642 CT (https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-642-ct-crimson-trace-lasergrips). I picked mine up at a local gun show for considerably less (~$450) than the suggested retail. I don't conceal carry, but always have it attached to the front strap of my backpack while remote hiking. It's the ideal weight and size for this purpose.

I saw these listed between $350-400. Might jump on it this week:cool:

Indoor66
03-23-2020, 12:26 PM
I saw these listed between $350-400. Might jump on it this week:cool:

That is a great price.

mattman91
06-03-2020, 12:28 PM
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2020/01/22/palmetto-state-armory-ps9-dagger/

Alright, now this looks intriguing. I already have a Glock 19, but I'd I didn't, I'd jump on this. I'm a fan (and owner) of PSA and their very affordable rifles. I'm sure the quality/value of this is top notch.

duke79
06-03-2020, 04:12 PM
We have all sorts of small varmints (red and gray squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, etc) running around our property and getting into our house, garage and barn. My wife is after me to get a BB gun or pellet gun to try to "cull the herd" (although I'm skeptical of my shooting ability and whether I can kill enough of them to make a difference!). Luckily, in Massachusetts where I live, a BB or pellet gun are not considered "guns" and I do not need a license to purchase one. The gun shop owner I spoke to recommended going with the pellet gun, saying they are more powerful and accurate than the BB gun (and he recommended getting a pellet gun with a scope).

Does anyone on this board have any experience with either one of these (I used to shoot a BB gun when I was a kid but that was decades ago)? Am I going to be able to kill these little critters with a pellet gun? How accurate are they? Is there the potential of shooting myself?

mattman91
06-03-2020, 04:42 PM
We have all sorts of small varmints (red and gray squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, etc) running around our property and getting into our house, garage and barn. My wife is after me to get a BB gun or pellet gun to try to "cull the herd" (although I'm skeptical of my shooting ability and whether I can kill enough of them to make a difference!). Luckily, in Massachusetts where I live, a BB or pellet gun are not considered "guns" and I do not need a license to purchase one. The gun shop owner I spoke to recommended going with the pellet gun, saying they are more powerful and accurate than the BB gun (and he recommended getting a pellet gun with a scope).

Does anyone on this board have any experience with either one of these (I used to shoot a BB gun when I was a kid but that was decades ago)? Am I going to be able to kill these little critters with a pellet gun? How accurate are they? Is there the potential of shooting myself?

Had a pellet gun when I was a young chap. Lots of fun for shooting cans. Idk if it will kill a varmint, then again they probably make higher powered pellet guns now then they had in the 90s:rolleyes:

.22 long rifle would be my recommendation for practicality, 5.56/223 if you want to have fun :cool:

I feel like a pellet gun would be making it too hard. You would have to hit the head from close range. Then you also run the risk of giving the animal a slow, painful death.

Bob Green
06-03-2020, 04:52 PM
.22 long rifle would be my recommendation for practicality...

It depends on Duke79’s property description and location as you cannot safely shoot a .22 rifle in suburbia. If he lives in a rural location, with acreage, I agree.

You can kill a squirrel with a pellet gun.

mattman91
06-03-2020, 05:07 PM
It depends on Duke79’s property description and location as you cannot safely shoot a .22 rifle in suburbia. If he lives in a rural location, with acreage, I agree.

Very true, didn't consider that.

duke79
06-03-2020, 05:27 PM
It depends on Duke79Â’s property description and location as you cannot safely shoot a .22 rifle in suburbia. If he lives in a rural location, with acreage, I agree.

Yea, we have a lot of acreage. Live out in the sticks and no houses close by (although my neighbors two houses down from us were apparently shooting a high powered rifle at a target in their back yard; they missed the target and the bullet went right through the side of the house next door to them (our next door neighbors); through a closet in their kitchen, hit a copper pot hanging in the kitchen and the bullet then split into two and one fragment lodged in a wall on the opposite side of the house and they never found the other fragment). Luckily, the next door neighbor was not home at the time but his cleaning woman was in the house and she was apparently quite startled!).

The gun shop owner claims that a pellet gun should kill the small varmints ("no problem" was his exact quote) and my wife is scared to have me shoot a 22 (with probably good reason). So, I may give the pellet gun a try.

Steven43
06-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Yea, we have a lot of acreage. Live out in the sticks and no houses close by (although my neighbors two houses down from us were apparently shooting a high powered rifle at a target in their back yard; they missed the target and the bullet went right through the side of the house next door to them (our next door neighbors); through a closet in their kitchen, hit a copper pot hanging in the kitchen and the bullet then split into two and one fragment lodged in a wall on the opposite side of the house and they never found the other fragment). Luckily, the next door neighbor was not home at the time but his cleaning woman was in the house and she was apparently quite startled!).

The gun shop owner claims that a pellet gun should kill the small varmints ("no problem" was his exact quote) and my wife is scared to have me shoot a 22 (with probably good reason). So, I may give the pellet gun a try.

I say take care of one or two to send a message and then leave the little guys alone. It’s sad to see wild creatures get killed unless it’s absolutely necessary. They have a difficult enough time surviving as it is.

I’m a daily meat eater, though, so what do I know? I just draw a significant distinction between animals raised exclusively for human consumption versus those living in the wild. Anyway, I’m sure you’ll figure it out one way or the other.

Scary story about that stray bullet, huh? Geez.

ncexnyc
06-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Plenty of interesting videos up on You Tube by a gentleman out of the UK who hunts rats with his air rifle. You'd be amazed what a person can watch when they are in lockdown.

cspan37421
06-03-2020, 09:21 PM

Have not yet shot my eye out. Learn and follow the rules of gun safety and you'll avoid shooting yourself.

Yes, they can be lethal on critters up to, arguably, raccoon/groundhog size. No larger without either a real firearm or a vastly more expensive air rifle in a larger caliber.

Your other question: they can be very accurate at modest to moderate distances. Shooting air rifles (in the biathlon) and air pistols are Olympic sports. Most BB guns are less so, and have a shorter effective range.

I have had almost exactly the same issue with varmints. A bit of background:

Several years ago, we had in our backyard a daytime raccoon, apparently rabid. I sought advice and was passed up the chain of command. Three wildlife agencies (local Animal Control, state Wildlife, and USDA Rabies Control) all told me to shoot it with a 22. I didn't have one, but the rabies person came around to capture the raccoon, euthanize it, and test it. It turned out to have distemper, also a virus like rabies but distinct.

The very next day we had a woodchuck/groundhog. These can be destructive to foundations, and I was told again to take the non-existent 22 to them.

I live a residential suburb, outside of city limits. It is not illegal to shoot a firearm outside city limits, but highly inadvisable in a residential neighborhood for at least 2 reasons. One, the report of the weapon might cause some neighbors to call the police to investigate - and they just might decide you are being reckless, or disturbing the peace, or whatever. Second, you are responsible for the bullet until it stops. Not all shooting angles give me a broad dirt backstop behind the intended target - maybe 10 degrees higher and it's the base of a neighbor's fence. And a bullet from a firearm isn't nearly as likely to stop at/in a fence like a BB or pellet. [it won't at all]

Some pellet rifles are (just barely) suitable with good shot placement for these pests, so I went that route. I set up a 10m target range in the enclosed space under our front porch and zeroed in the scope (repeat this every time you change pellet type). If I have a target for the pellet rifle in the backyard, I go to my 2nd floor and shoot at a sharper angle to the ground.

Long story short, I never saw another raccoon or woodchuck in our yard, so the non-firearms arsenal was never used against them. But recently we've had chipmunk problems, and it's permissible to rid one's yard of them if they're destructive. I have had significant success culling the herd. PM me for the "hunting" details if you like.

I concur with the recommendation of pellet rifle with scope. I use a Crosman single-stroke pneumatic (a "nitro piston") in .177 caliber. You can get pellet rifles in .22 caliber, though you'll give up some velocity and power in exchange for the larger caliber. It's a balancing act. My rifle came with a basic 4x32 scope, apparently one not considered very durable/high quality. But mine has been good, and it sure helps my old eyes. I rest the rifle on a windowsill with a foam pad to help keep it steady. Oh, and I did a trigger upgrade too, so it is much lighter [A heavy trigger pull can be hard to keep on target].

I have 3 other airguns: the famous Daisy Red Ryder (lever action spring piston), a single stroke pneumatic pistol (Weihrauch HW-40), a CO2 BB pistol (Daisy Powerline 815). No multi-pumpers (I had one, its sights were worthless, and it was jarring to pump). Never had a pre-charged pneumatic.

The BB guns are a lot more fun for "plinking", probably because there's a mix of skill and luck involved in shooting BBs. They are inherently less accurate than lead pellets through a rifled barrel. To me, it's reminiscent of a shooting skill game at a state fair midway. It's pretty quiet, too, and steel isn't lead. If you like target shooting, a pellet pistol with a match-grade trigger is a fine skill-builder for chasing the 10-ring. Just build a trap behind the target and capture the pellets for recycling/disposal.

Some websites that may be helpful to you are pyramidair and other retailers, and gatewaytoairguns.org.

bundabergdevil
06-03-2020, 09:33 PM
I live a residential suburb, outside of city limits. It is not illegal to shoot a firearm outside city limits, but highly inadvisable in a residential neighborhood for at least 2 reasons. One, the report of the weapon might cause some neighbors to call the police to investigate - and they just might decide you are being reckless, or disturbing the peace, or whatever. Second, you are responsible for the bullet until it stops. Not all shooting angles give me a broad dirt backstop behind the intended target - maybe 10 degrees higher and it's the base of a neighbor's fence. And a bullet from a firearm isn't nearly as likely to stop at/in a fence like a BB or pellet. [it won't at all]

Well, the third is that there is likely a safety zone. At least in my state, unless permission is specifically granted by a property's owner, it is unlawful to do any sort of shooting within 150 yards of a habitable human structure (house, barn, outhouse, whatever). In most suburbs, your neighbor's safety zone is likely to overlap with a lot of your own property.

Where you tend to run into trouble is the interchange of suburbia and more rural areas.

BigWayne
06-04-2020, 04:48 AM
As cspan detailed, you can take varmints out with a pellet gun, but it's not easy. You will have to practice and be persistent.

On the legal side, using a pellet gun instead of a firearm keeps you from violating a number of laws as well as common sense safety guidelines.
However, in many jurisdictions, legally hunting game species can only be done with a weapon that is classified as a firearm.
You are much more likely to get cited for the firearms laws than the game laws however. Just don't go posting it on the internet.

cspan37421
06-04-2020, 08:24 AM
As cspan detailed, you can take varmints out with a pellet gun, but it's not easy. You will have to practice and be persistent.

On the legal side, using a pellet gun instead of a firearm keeps you from violating a number of laws as well as common sense safety guidelines.

It's worth pointing out too, that the conventional wisdom is that steel BBs are at greater risk of ricochet than lead pellets. But I know which I'd rather have in my lawn. Thus I use a pellet trap when (paper) target shooting.

However, in many jurisdictions, legally hunting game species can only be done with a weapon that is classified as a firearm.
You are much more likely to get cited for the firearms laws than the game laws however. Just don't go posting it on the internet.

Second this. I was surprised to learn that there's a season for squirrels here, but then again, they don't bother me (yet). I actually like how they come clear my yard of acorns, hickory nuts, and so forth. However, the chipmunks came too and didn't limit their activities to that.

Our state does have an exception for some animals for which there is a season:

... a landowner may trap and/or kill any rodent or furbearer (if not threatened or endangered) or small-game species without a permit if that animal is destroying or depredating the landowner’s property.

Another good solution to chipmunks is an outdoor cat.

duke79
06-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Well, the third is that there is likely a safety zone. At least in my state, unless permission is specifically granted by a property's owner, it is unlawful to do any sort of shooting within 150 yards of a habitable human structure (house, barn, outhouse, whatever). In most suburbs, your neighbor's safety zone is likely to overlap with a lot of your own property.

Where you tend to run into trouble is the interchange of suburbia and more rural areas.

It's worth pointing out too, that the conventional wisdom is that steel BBs are at greater risk of ricochet than lead pellets. But I know which I'd rather have in my lawn. Thus I use a pellet trap when (paper) target shooting.

Second this. I was surprised to learn that there's a season for squirrels here, but then again, they don't bother me (yet). I actually like how they come clear my yard of acorns, hickory nuts, and so forth. However, the chipmunks came too and didn't limit their activities to that.

Our state does have an exception for some animals for which there is a season:

Another good solution to chipmunks is an outdoor cat.

Thanks for these suggestions! I did some quick research of Massachusetts law today and it turns out that there is actually "squirrel hunting season" in Massachusetts (and the dates during which you can "hunt" squirrels varies depending on which "zone" you live in in the state). It also turns out that you need a hunting license to shoot squirrels on your own property. Ugh. It does seem somewhat ridiculous to me but I don't know how other states handle this. There are also other fairly onerous regulations; i.e., you can't shoot a gun within 500 feet of an inhabited building. I actually found a link to a new story about a guy in Massachusetts who was arrested for illegally hunting squirrels on his own property!

Given all of the negatives here, I'm re-thinking my "big game" hunting expedition. My wife will be mad but I'm not sure how much success I would have had trying to exterminate the little varmints running around our property. I don't relish the thought of sitting in a lawn chair for hours at a time, hoping I might bag one of the critters. And I'm very skeptical that I could ever kill enough of them to make a difference. We may have to come with Plan B. (And we have had outdoor cats before and they DO seem to help keep the rodent population down but we just have one indoor cat now and she is afraid of mice).

bundabergdevil
06-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Thanks for these suggestions! I did some quick research of Massachusetts law today and it turns out that there is actually "squirrel hunting season" in Massachusetts (and the dates during which you can "hunt" squirrels varies depending on which "zone" you live in in the state). It also turns out that you need a hunting license to shoot squirrels on your own property. Ugh. It does seem somewhat ridiculous to me but I don't know how other states handle this. There are also other fairly onerous regulations; i.e., you can't shoot a gun within 500 feet of an inhabited building. I actually found a link to a new story about a guy in Massachusetts who was arrested for illegally hunting squirrels on his own property!

Given all of the negatives here, I'm re-thinking my "big game" hunting expedition. My wife will be mad but I'm not sure how much success I would have had trying to exterminate the little varmints running around our property. I don't relish the thought of sitting in a lawn chair for hours at a time, hoping I might bag one of the critters. And I'm very skeptical that I could ever kill enough of them to make a difference. We may have to come with Plan B. (And we have had outdoor cats before and they DO seem to help keep the rodent population down but we just have one indoor cat now and she is afraid of mice).

That's pretty funny. When you mentioned the law, I thought, if you have some space, you'll NEVER get a warden coming by unless someone really had an axe to grind and happened to complain...and if you were using a BB or pellet gun, it's hard to imagine someone complaining. But it appears you did your research!

nmduke2001
06-04-2020, 06:07 PM

This sounds crazy but the dude at Lowe's recommended to us that we try moth balls to get rid of the squirrels. We bought a box and put them around the retaining wall where they live. Apparently they hate the smell as much as I do. They left pretty quick. The outside of my house smelled weird for a while, but whatever. The squirrels came back about 2 months later, but I just put more moth balls. It's worth noting that Albuquerque is really dry, so the moth balls likely last longer here.

cspan37421
06-05-2020, 07:54 AM
This sounds crazy but the dude at Lowe's recommended to us that we try moth balls to get rid of the squirrels. We bought a box and put them around the retaining wall where they live. Apparently they hate the smell as much as I do. They left pretty quick. The outside of my house smelled weird for a while, but whatever. The squirrels came back about 2 months later, but I just put more moth balls. It's worth noting that Albuquerque is really dry, so the moth balls likely last longer here.

Pest control pros here recommended anti-vole poison pellets for the chippers.

Hadn't heard of using mothballs! I wonder how far the smell traveled - would neighbors who use their backyards that border yours notice?

cspan37421
06-05-2020, 08:12 AM

Excellent point; that's my situation, in essence. How did you find the rule for where you live? I've been unable to locate anything similar for where I live. My subdivision is actually on the city/county line. [Most of it, including where my house sits, is in the unincorporated county, i.e., not part of any municipality].

As best I can tell the issue becomes a judgment call here, about what is safe, not too loud, etc. I know of no safe-harbor objective numbers (distance, decibels, type/thickness of berm, etc) and so forth that apply.

duke79
06-05-2020, 02:06 PM

Thanks! I've tried moth balls before with various types of critters - woodchucks, mice, skunks, etc. and NEVER had any luck! But maybe I'll try again with the squirrels and chipmunks that have taken over our property. (you would not believe how much I time I have spent over the years on the internet TRYING to figure out how to get rid of the varmints (small and large) that seem to plague our lives. My annual and futile effort, that begins about now, is to rid our kitchen of the "cabinet moths" that appear each year and infiltrate the cereal, rice, pasta, flour, pancake mix, etc. boxes and destroy half the dry food in our kitchen).

bundabergdevil
06-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Excellent point; that's my situation, in essence. How did you find the rule for where you live? I've been unable to locate anything similar for where I live. My subdivision is actually on the city/county line. [Most of it, including where my house sits, is in the unincorporated county, i.e., not part of any municipality].

As best I can tell the issue becomes a judgment call here, about what is safe, not too loud, etc. I know of no safe-harbor objective numbers (distance, decibels, type/thickness of berm, etc) and so forth that apply.

In my state, it's all part of the Pennsylvania Game Code so you can find the info a couple of places. It's in the actual legislation but most people are taught about the safety zone rules when they sign up for a Hunter Trapper Educations course to get their hunting license. I don't know much about other states but I would imagine your state fish/game/wildlife agency would make that info readily available.

If someone felt uncomfortable with their neighbor shooting, let's say, a woodchuck on their property, their first instinct might be to call the police (and I'm sure they could handle it) but it should probably be the Game Wardens called in since their primary responsibility is enforcing hunter/trapping laws.

From what I understand, the majority of issues the Wardens have to deal with are essentially disagreements between land owners...safety zone violations, trespassing, following blood trails onto someone else's property without permission, etc.

Indoor66
06-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Thanks! I've tried moth balls before with various types of critters - woodchucks, mice, skunks, etc. and NEVER had any luck! But maybe I'll try again with the squirrels and chipmunks that have taken over our property. (you would not believe how much I time I have spent over the years on the internet TRYING to figure out how to get rid of the varmints (small and large) that seem to plague our lives. My annual and futile effort, that begins about now, is to rid our kitchen of the "cabinet moths" that appear each year and infiltrate the cereal, rice, pasta, flour, pancake mix, etc. boxes and destroy half the dry food in our kitchen).

Get Charlie Brown off hall monitor duty and have him patrol your yard.

mattman91
06-05-2020, 07:28 PM
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the S&W 442 purchase this weekend.

Indoor66
06-05-2020, 07:40 PM
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the S&W 442 purchase this weekend.

Very good choice. Get +P ammo.

mattman91
08-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Has anyone had any luck buying ammo lately?

Nrrrrvous
08-03-2020, 01:25 PM

It's been about 3 weeks but I was able to get some .30-06 and some 00 Buck 12Ga.

Haven't checked recently on .38 Special.

Devilwin
08-04-2020, 08:07 AM
To duke79.

Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.

TruBlu
08-04-2020, 08:46 AM
To duke79.

Purchase an owl decoy. Horned owl models are great for deterring rodents. Lowe's has them.

Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?

Tommac
08-04-2020, 06:56 PM

I was able to purchase 2 50ct boxes of Federal 9mm 114 gr ammo at my local Dunham Sports store yesterday. The ammo was on their Sunday-Monday special sale but I had to ask for them. The clerk told me that earlier in the day two separate customers had picked up whole cases of bullets from their sale table, so the clerk had to put the rest of the ammo behind the counter and limit customers to 4 boxes when requested.

wavedukefan70s
08-04-2020, 06:58 PM

yes i have gotten 9mm ,45 and 223.
I have a bag of 30 cal and a few boxes of 308 or 30 06 .i have no use for.
Sold a m1 carbine .
So my son could start his collection.
9mm was the most abundant .223 not so much.

wavedukefan70s
08-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Would the owls work for keeping birds away from pecking holes in my cedar siding?

We have a large red headed wood pecker.that beats my chimney cap until i run him/her off.
That may work for me aswell.

cspan37421
08-04-2020, 08:18 PM
To duke79.

Of late, I have had to deal with highly destructive chipmunks. Had a few pest / wildlife control experts come out to give their opinion. I ended up with a combo of mole poison pellets and sharpshooting with my .177 nitro piston. Although I never took pleasure in hunting, it has been so effective, I sort of miss the challenge.

I used to like the chipmunks and squirrels in my yard b/c they ate up the hickory nuts and acorns that would otherwise be much harder to rake up. But the chippers don't stop there, unfortunately.

I'm kind of new to slinging lead, but it appears to me that here in my state, I can't just take out squirrels if I wanted to*, because there's a hunting season for them. Fortunately they're not the problem (well, I had to give up feeding birds b/c of them, but that's small potatoes compared to the chippers).

One of our cats was a very effective chipmunk hunter. However, he's been retired from that for various reasons (first - by bringing in fleas a 2nd time despite flea medicine; second, he's over 14 now and probably wouldn't be so great at it anyway anymore. But in his prime - wow. It was his way of getting around our measured food limitations on him).

I'll have to consider one of those owl decoys to add to my deterrents. Do they work better with a Tootsie Pop in their talons? ;)

* well, technically you can, if they're destructive of private property. But ... IMO their continual defeat of anti-squirrel bird feeder technologies isn't enough of a reason. Though maybe I could give them a harmless sting with a Daisy Red Ryder? As long as I don't shoot my eye out, of course.

Nrrrrvous
08-04-2020, 08:22 PM
Sold a m1 carbine .

Too bad we're not closer. I would take the 30 cal and 30-06 off your hands...

cspan37421
08-04-2020, 08:24 PM
Sold a m1 carbine .

.22 is often available, in some form.

WM still sells shotgun and some rifle ammo. It's behind the counter, and since it's often so hard to find someone to help you, it doesn't get turned over quite so quickly.

Devilwin
08-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Could, but you can buy falcon images that stick on windows that will work.
https://www.amazon.com/Defenders-Flying-Falcon-stooping-Deterrent/dp/B00116R05A

mattman91
08-04-2020, 08:28 PM
I have plenty of 556/223, but running very low on 9mm :(

The problem during ammo shortages are people that panic-buy. I just wanted 2 boxes to shoot at the range :cool:

Nrrrrvous
08-04-2020, 08:30 PM
Had some squirrels destroying the bird feeder up at the place at Smith Mountain Lake.

Hadn't shot my old Marlin .22 in years, used to hunt squirrels with it when I was a kid.

4 shots over 3 days, 4 squirrels.

No more squirrels destroying the bird feeder.

Going back up there this weekend after being away for a few weeks. I wonder if any will have returned?

Devilwin
08-04-2020, 08:34 PM
Had some squirrels destroying the bird feeder up at the place at Smith Mountain Lake.

Hadn't shot my old Marlin .22 in years, used to hunt squirrels with it when I was a kid.

4 shots over 3 days, 4 squirrels.

No more squirrels destroying the bird feeder.

Going back up there this weekend after being away for a few weeks. I wonder if any will have returned?

probably. Sure it's not a bear?

Nrrrrvous
08-04-2020, 08:47 PM
probably. Sure it's not a bear?

Actually I should have clarified. The squirrels were simply eating everything I put out there. Then I took care of the squirrels. Then a bear came along and actually took down the feeder.

It may end up being a losing battle.

plimnko
08-08-2020, 12:09 PM
anyone have any experience with the new glock 44?

Nrrrrvous
08-18-2020, 09:48 PM
Picked up a Winchester Model '94 30-30 the other day. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it is exactly like the first rifle I ever hunted deer with. There's just something about the size/weight/grip/feel of it. But also got a really good deal on a very nice looking used rifle. Hard to pass up.

Can't wait to try it out.

Got the last two boxes of ammo for it that they had, along with some 00Buck and some 30-06. No 9mm or 38special, as is usual these days.

mattman91
08-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Picked up a Winchester Model '94 30-30 the other day. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it is exactly like the first rifle I ever hunted deer with. There's just something about the size/weight/grip/feel of it. But also got a really good deal on a very nice looking used rifle. Hard to pass up.

Can't wait to try it out.

Got the last two boxes of ammo for it that they had, along with some 00Buck and some 30-06. No 9mm or 38special, as is usual these days.

Sweet purchase!

I need to hunt for some 9mm again this weekend.

Nrrrrvous
08-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Sweet purchase!

Good Luck!

OldPhiKap
08-18-2020, 11:11 PM

Are they in season?

Ultrarunner
08-23-2020, 10:51 AM
anyone have any experience with the new glock 44?
Limited, but yes. I helped a friend and his SO sight in their lasers. They had little to no experience so I shot their pistols and adjusted the lasers to the groups.
Shoots reasonably well, very low felt recoil. Reliably accurate (I was shooting .5 inch groups @ 5yds). Fits smaller hands comfortably.
Both pistols were relatively new. No failures to feed or eject shooting inexpensive CCI .22lr standard velocity ammo.

plimnko
08-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Limited, but yes. I helped a friend and his SO sight in their lasers. They had little to no experience so I shot their pistols and adjusted the lasers to the groups.
Shoots reasonably well, very low felt recoil. Reliably accurate (I was shooting .5 inch groups @ 5yds). Fits smaller hands comfortably.
Both pistols were relatively new. No failures to feed or eject shooting inexpensive CCI .22lr standard velocity ammo.

I was skeptical about buying one. I had read and had seen reviews on YouTube. I took it to the range last week and shot mostly CCI and also some bulk Federal. I had one failure in about 300 rounds and that was an ammo issue.....the bulk Federal. I'm glad I didn't listen to the reviews. I found it to be reliable, fun, and cheap to shoot.

wavedukefan70s
08-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Too bad we're not closer. I would take the 30 cal and 30-06 off your hands...

Im near charleston sc.if your close you can have it.

Nrrrrvous
08-24-2020, 09:54 AM

12 hour round trip might be a bit much, even for me.

PackMan97
08-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Is it ok if I send my sister to pick it up, she lives in Hanahan?

On second thought I can just imagine the conversation..."Hey, sis. Can you go to some stranger's house that I met on the internet? he's got some spare ammo he's giving away and I'd like you to pick it up. *click* Sis? Are you there? I guess that was a no".

wavedukefan70s
08-25-2020, 06:12 PM
12 hour round trip might be a bit much, even for me.

yeah thats a run .

wavedukefan70s
08-25-2020, 06:15 PM
Is it ok if I send my sister to pick it up, she lives in Hanahan?

On second thought I can just imagine the conversation..."Hey, sis. Can you go to some stranger's house that I met on the internet? he's got some spare ammo he's giving away and I'd like you to pick it up. *click* Sis? Are you there? I guess that was a no".

yeah its fine thursday or friday .
I can meet at a public area if you woukd like.
Anyways .my email is wavefan70s@gmail.com. email me we can figure details out.

mattman91
08-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Really regret not purchasing the S&W 442 a few weeks back.

Now I can't find it ANYWHERE.

wavedukefan70s
08-28-2020, 07:34 PM

Gunbroker has plenty .you just have to find your local ffl dealer when purchasing .it has to be shipped to a person or buisness with a ffl. Usually between a 25 qnd 50 dollar charge.lIcql firearms dealer can help you.
If your in north carolina you need someone whom knows the laws.i have refused to sell weapons to nc residents because i do not know thier laws .from what i am told they run undercover purchases a lot to catch people.

Nrrrrvous
08-29-2020, 08:54 AM

There is a huge gun show in RVA this weekend. Friend of mine is going. (I'm not going anywhere near it!) I'm going to see if I can get a report back on what they actually have.

Lord Ash
08-29-2020, 10:10 AM

Not sure if I shared these before, but took two of mine shooting a few weeks back up in New Hampshire.

A Baker Rifle, and an 1873 Winchester lever action.

Took this photo after cleaning them:)

Indoor66
08-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Gunbroker has plenty .you just have to find your local ffl dealer when purchasing .it has to be shipped to a person or buisness with a ffl. Usually between a 25 qnd 50 dollar charge.lIcql firearms dealer can help you.
If your in north carolina you need someone whom knows the laws.i have refused to sell weapons to nc residents because i do not know thier laws .from what i am told they run undercover purchases a lot to catch people.

Gee, my locall FFL charges $10.

Nrrrrvous
08-29-2020, 06:58 PM

Not sure if I shared these before, but took two of mine shooting a few weeks back up in New Hampshire.

A Baker Rifle, and an 1873 Winchester lever action.

Took this photo after cleaning them:)

Love 'em! I have a Winchester '94, just picked it up a couple weeks ago.

Lord Ash
08-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Love 'em! I have a Winchester '94, just picked it up a couple weeks ago.

Nice! What round is it chambered for? Mine is a .45.

Love the old guns:) Also have a Bess and a Remington Zouave downstairs:)

wavedukefan70s
08-30-2020, 06:33 PM
Gee, my locall FFL charges $10.

25 and up around here.smh

Indoor66
08-30-2020, 06:43 PM
25 and up around here.smh

I must admit that I last used him about 5 or 6 years ago. He may be higher now.

Nrrrrvous
08-30-2020, 07:29 PM
Nice! What round is it chambered for? Mine is a .45.

Love the old guns:) Also have a Bess and a Remington Zouave downstairs:)

I went with the classic 30-30. Was the first gun I used to hunt deer back about 40 years ago. Felt really good to hold/shoot one again.

BLPOG
08-31-2020, 04:00 AM
I will probably go (with a handful of friends) to the early Oct. show at the Dulles Expo Center. Northern Virgina area folks, if you are interested in saying "Hi," give me a holler. 🙂

PackMan97
08-31-2020, 09:18 AM
I have an antique muzzle loader that's been in my family for quite some time. Does anyone know of a Triangle area dealer that might be able to tell me more about and/or appraise/restore it. It's not in bad shape, but it's had virtually nothing done to it for 30 years. I remember my dad firing it once many many moons ago (maybe 35-40 years).

It makes a great home defense weapon...how needs a baseball bat when you have a six foot long 1/4" thick metal barrel!

Nrrrrvous
08-31-2020, 10:24 AM
I have an antique muzzle loader that's been in my family for quite some time. Does anyone know of a Triangle area dealer that might be able to tell me more about and/or appraise/restore it. It's not in bad shape, but it's had virtually nothing done to it for 30 years. I remember my dad firing it once many many moons ago (maybe 35-40 years).

It makes a great home defense weapon...how needs a baseball bat when you have a six foot long 1/4" thick metal barrel!

Not in the triangle area so can't help but would love to see a pic!

Lord Ash
08-31-2020, 11:42 AM
Def post a photo...I can get it IDed for you.

PackMan97
09-04-2020, 09:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/J5shxlq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NLowCK8.jpg

Here you go...and it's really more like 4 to 4 1/2 feet long. It always seemed bigger as a kid ;)

Nrrrrvous
09-07-2020, 07:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/J5shxlq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NLowCK8.jpg

Here you go...and it's really more like 4 to 4 1/2 feet long. It always seemed bigger as a kid ;)
quick google, you've probably already seen -

Joseph Golcher was a lockmaker who was located in Philadelphia PA circa the mid 19th century. His locks were sold to gunsmiths all over the country, particularly in the East. He made percussion and flint gun locks circa 1825 – 1860. His brother was James Golcher (II) (1810- ). Proprietor, Eagle Gun Works (q.v.). gun and pistol makers, but primarily gun lock makers. [Dirs., 1841, 1846, 1855; O’Brien’s Wholesale Dir., 1849]. The U.S. Census of 1850 showed James Golcher, age 40; Ann, 38, his wife; William, 16; Mary, 12; Ann, 10, all born in England; Thomas, 8; James, 6; Sarah, 2, all born in the United States. This suggests that whatever gunlocks he may have made before 1833 were made in England and production in the U.S. began about that time.

Although it seems that some guns were produced as "replicas" of earlier guns by Great Western Gunworks in Pittsburgh later, 1865 to early 20th century. They were given the same Joseph Golcher stamps.

Are there any other markings on the barrel? Opposite side?

BLPOG
10-12-2023, 11:35 PM
An acquaintance of mine asked me for some firearm advice earlier tonight and I remembered this thread. Perhaps some folks here also have the topic on their minds.

If you have a problem with firearm ownership, please keep it out of this thread, which is not about public policy. Likewise, to avoid attracting people who have a problem with firearm ownership, please refrain from discussing any issues you have with present policy. This should be a thread for practical sharing of information for gun owners and prospective owners. I was pleased to see the thread had been unlocked and would like to keep it that way.

bundabergdevil
10-13-2023, 12:23 AM
Reason number 776 to keep your firearms secure: An escaped convict could run into your garage and just grab one. FFS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna104566

The homeowner called police at 10:10 p.m. ET to say a short Hispanic man wearing no shirt and dark pants had entered the garage while the homeowner was in it and grabbed a .22-caliber rifle leaning in the corner, State Police Lt. Col. George Bivens said at a news briefing Tuesday morning.

wavedukefan70s
10-13-2023, 01:06 PM
Reason number 776 to keep your firearms secure: An escaped convict could run into your garage and just grab one. FFS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna104566

The homeowner called police at 10:10 p.m. ET to say a short Hispanic man wearing no shirt and dark pants had entered the garage while the homeowner was in it and grabbed a .22-caliber rifle leaning in the corner, State Police Lt. Col. George Bivens said at a news briefing Tuesday morning.
1st thing I taught my kids from a early age .secure every thing. Safety is 1st.

The old days of carrying your shotgun in your back glass are long gone.