PDA

View Full Version : Amile Jefferson 15 x 15

BullBlue
12-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Amile Jefferson has been having an amazing year so far and has been so much fun to watch. I started working on this after the Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament last month. In that weekend, Amile had back-to-back games with at least 15 points and 15 rebounds, 16P and 15R vs Penn State and 17P and 15R vs Rhode Island. And now he has done it again with his monster game vs Florida with 24P and 15R. He also had one last year against Kentucky. I got to wondering how often does a Duke player record a 15 x 15 game?

Going back to the start of the 1980 season, Coach K's first year, there have been 45 games in which a Duke player has scored at least 15 points and grabbed at least 15 rebounds. It happens on average 1.25 times per season or on average about once every 28 games. There have been 20 different Duke players to accomplish a 15 x 15 in the last 36 years:

1X - Marshall Plumlee, Brian Zoubeck, Josh McRoberts, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy, Chris Burgess, Greg Newton, Cherokee Parks, Mark Alarie and Kenny Dennard
2X - Jabari Parker, Kyle Singler, Danny Ferry,
3X - Jahlil Okafor, Mason Plumlee, Carlos Boozer
4X - Amile Jefferson, Elton Brand, Christian Laettner
10X - Sheldon Williams

The fact that Amile has accomplished this feat in 3 of the last 7 games with two of those games against top 25 teams is impressive.

niveklaen
12-08-2016, 04:39 PM
If Amile passes the landlord this season its either very good (title) or very bad (Giles/Bolden never get healthy/break into the rotation).

Bob Green
12-08-2016, 05:02 PM
How many posts before someone points out it is Shelden? Uh, never mind...

bob blue devil
12-08-2016, 05:28 PM
wow - amile is keeping some pretty good company on this one.

flyingdutchdevil
12-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Amile Jefferson has been having an amazing year so far and has been so much fun to watch. I started working on this after the Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament last month. In that weekend, Amile had back-to-back games with at least 15 points and 15 rebounds, 16P and 15R vs Penn State and 17P and 15R vs Rhode Island. And now he has done it again with his monster game vs Florida with 24P and 15R. He also had one last year against Kentucky. I got to wondering how often does a Duke player record a 15 x 15 game?

Going back to the start of the 1980 season, Coach K's first year, there have been 45 games in which a Duke player has scored at least 15 points and grabbed at least 15 rebounds. It happens on average 1.25 times per season or on average about once every 28 games. There have been 20 different Duke players to accomplish a 15 x 15 in the last 36 years:

1X - Marshall Plumlee, Brian Zoubeck, Josh McRoberts, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy, Chris Burgess, Greg Newton, Cherokee Parks, Mark Alarie and Kenny Dennard
10X - Sheldon Williams

The fact that Amile has accomplished this feat in 3 of the last 7 games with two of those games against top 25 teams is impressive.

Damn - Jahlil had three of those games in one freshman season? Why can't he replicate those rebounding numbers in the NBA?

BLPOG
12-08-2016, 06:16 PM

I'm pretty sure I've made the mistake before, but it's been bad lately. Even one of the home page articles got it wrong a few days back.

Spanarkel
12-09-2016, 07:13 AM

Or Zoubek?

OldPhiKap
12-09-2016, 07:20 AM

10X - Sheldon Williams

Great info, thanks for assembling!

SkyBrickey
12-09-2016, 08:59 AM
I would bet tomorrow will be Amile's last shot at 15/15 for the season. Too much help on the way on the boards with Bolden and Giles, both with reputations as rebounding beasts. So proud of the season Amile is having though - even with the guys coming back, I think he's playing his way to an All-ACC season and a second round draft pick.

uh_no
12-09-2016, 09:11 AM
I would bet tomorrow will be Amile's last shot at 15/15 for the season. Too much help on the way on the boards with Bolden and Giles, both with reputations as rebounding beasts. So proud of the season Amile is having though - even with the guys coming back, I think he's playing his way to an All-ACC season and a second round draft pick.

on the flip side, more often he'll get to rebound against shorter folks when giles and bolden are in....does it even out? we'll see.

Indoor66
12-09-2016, 10:30 AM

I think you will be surprised at Amile's remainder of this season. He will average a Double Double and will see 15/15 several more times. Experience counts.

ricks68
12-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Take a deep breath, select an appropriate beer, settle down in a nice comfortable chair, and then just wait patiently for the next time it happens. (Bet it won't be a long wait.)

ricks

DukieInKansas
12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Take a deep breath, select an appropriate beer, settle down in a nice comfortable chair, and then just wait patiently for the next time it happens. (Bet it won't be a long wait.)

ricks

Is this the new drinking game?

BullBlue
12-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Or Zoubek?

Well dang. My apologies to both Mr. Shelden Williams and Mr. Brian Zoubek for mangling their names. I even had them written down correctly in my notes. May I offer my congradulations to Mr. Williams for being Duke's all time leading rebounder, and to Mr. Zoubek for his outstanding rebounding during Duke's 2010 championship run as a form of reparation.

uh_no
12-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Is this the new drinking game?

put me in, coach.

BandAlum83
12-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Well dang. My apologies to both Mr. Shelden Williams and Mr. Brian Zoubek for mangling their names. I even had them written down correctly in my notes. May I offer my congradulations to Mr. Williams for being Duke's all time leading rebounder, and to Mr. Zoubek for his outstanding rebounding during Duke's 2010 championship run as a form of reparation.

I think the gauntlet has been thrown. We all need to up our games when it comes to posting.

I'll admit, I've never referred to notes before, during, or after posting. I fear that perhaps all my posts have been found lacking (as well as deserving of vacations from time to time).

edit: I know there was something else I wanted to add to this post, but I just can't remember what it was.

jimsumner
12-12-2016, 05:46 PM
I think the gauntlet has been thrown. We all need to up our games when it comes to posting.

I'll admit, I've never referred to notes before, during, or after posting. I fear that perhaps all my posts have been found lacking (as well as deserving of vacations from time to time).

edit: I know there was something else I wanted to add to this post, but I just can't remember what it was.

You can use notes?

Geez, now you'll never get me to shut up.

Indoor66
12-12-2016, 07:14 PM
You can use notes?

Geez, now you'll never get me to shut up.

Bonk doesn't allow Notes.:cool:

BandAlum83
12-12-2016, 08:08 PM

OMG! Bonkistry? Sporks to you!

BLPOG
12-12-2016, 08:13 PM

Funny you should say that, because from what I know Bonk did allow notes to be used during tests (while I was there). I never took his late-career offering, Chem 83, but I'm confident there are other posters on the board who took that class in his last years of teaching and could provide their insight.

Billy Dat
12-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Amile's defense this year has been amazing. I bet he'll get some more 15 x 15 because he'll continue to play big minutes anchoring the D.

Spanarkel
12-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Funny you should say that, because from what I know Bonk did allow notes to be used during tests (while I was there). I never took his late-career offering, Chem 83, but I'm confident there are other posters on the board who took that class in his last years of teaching and could provide their insight.

Professor Bonk was very ambidextrous IIRC, just like Luke's moves around the basket.

Indoor66
12-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Professor Bonk was very ambidextrous IIRC, just like Luke's moves around the basket.

The question put forth by those with inquiring minds is: Was he amphibious?