PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Florida (Dec 6, 2016)

JBDuke
12-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Florida tonight?

JBDuke
12-06-2016, 11:36 PM
At least 3 good options - Amile with a ridiculous 24 and 15 got my vote, but Luke almost hit for 30 again, Jayson Tatum came alive late in the first half and nearly put up a double-double himself with 22 and 8, and even Grayson Allen, who had a dreadful shooting night had 8 assists. Pretty sure that's a career high.

devildeac
12-06-2016, 11:36 PM
A split decision: 1/3 Amile, 1/3 Luke, 1/3 Tatum

vfefrenzy
12-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Amile. Luke and Jayson were great, but Amile was a cut above.

FerryFor50
12-06-2016, 11:38 PM
I went with Amile. He was a rock in the middle and only picked up 2 fouls. Duke needed his inside presence to open things up.

Luke and Tatum both deserving though.

gep
12-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Is Amile playing his way into NPOY consideration???

Ballboy1998
12-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Had to go with Amile. He brought it on both ends of the floor from the opening tip to the final whistle.

jacone21
12-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Amile set the tone, so he gets my vote.

jipops
12-06-2016, 11:52 PM
I'm going with Amile but I could easily be convinced to go for two others.

HCheek37
12-07-2016, 06:12 AM
I hope that vote for Matt was a joke...I went with Amile because of his all around effort. Looked close to getting another technical in the second half though, two refs had to tell him to chill after a foul call.

mgtr
12-07-2016, 06:41 AM
I am amazed at how much Amile has developed his game at Duke, even though Duke can't develop big men!!! He must sleep every night with a John Wooden book under his pillow ("the glass is your friend") Now if he starts making 10-12 foot jumpers, he will definitely be playing in the league next year. Jayson is definitely the missing component from the team. This was not Grayson's game, but he did get 8 assists. Lots of good passing last night.

left_hook_lacey
12-07-2016, 07:20 AM

No. But Luke is.

left_hook_lacey
12-07-2016, 07:25 AM
I am amazed at how much Amile has developed his game at Duke, even though Duke can't develop big men!!! He must sleep every night with a John Wooden book under his pillow ("the glass is your friend") Now if he starts making 10-12 foot jumpers, he will definitely be playing in the league next year. Jayson is definitely the missing component from the team. This was not Grayson's game, but he did get 8 assists. Lots of good passing last night.

And to me, this has to be the most scary thing for opposing teams looking on. If Grayson, and the whole team for that matter, are willing to play this unselfish all year and just take what the defense gives them......look out.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Amile. He's become a stud! But what a pleasure to watch both Luke and Jayson last night! GGLC! And K says that Giles will be playing before Christmas! As he and Marques get acclimated and gain playing time, wow! Just wow! LGD GTHc!

Saratoga2
12-07-2016, 07:43 AM
I went with Amile but Luke could easily been my pick. Both were great.

whereinthehellami
12-07-2016, 08:49 AM
I went with Luke because he is playing like he tapped into the matrix. The baseline pass to Amile was brilliantly executed, he was at least a step ahead.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2016, 08:58 AM
It is worth listening to Florida Coach White's post-game press conference. Amile is the man, often in ways you can only tell from courtside. For example, White noted how much Amile talks on defense and that he is the anchor of a very impressive effort on that end of the floor. Let alone the scoring and rebounds, which are off the chain.

devildeac
12-07-2016, 09:02 AM
A split decision: 1/3 Amile, 1/3 Luke, 1/3 Tatum

After overnight deliberation, I voted for Amile after his 24/15. That's almost insane.

Ichabod Drain
12-07-2016, 09:12 AM

No. But Luke is.

Kenpom has Amile at #3 in his KPOY ratings and Luke at #4 fwiw.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2016, 09:13 AM
After overnight deliberation, I voted for Amile after his 24/15. That's almost insane.

Plus two blocks, two assists, a steal and at least one key charge taken. Not to mention being the guy who essentially runs the defense.

AND he went to a funeral a day or two before the game for his grandmother who helped raise him.

We have had a lot of true warriors at Duke. Amile does not take a back seat to any of them. He is my favorite player over quite some time.

Bull City, out. __] [__

rsvman
12-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Tough choice, what with Luke being otherwordly in the first half, and Tatum being unstoppable in the second half, but I voted for Amile. He was a man among boys out there and does all the little things.

Indoor66
12-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Tough choice, what with Luke being otherwordly in the first half, and Tatum being unstoppable in the second half, but I voted for Amile. He was a man among boys out there and does all the little things.

If we made your last clause "and does all the things." I believe it would be more accurate. Amile was spectacular throughout this game - and for the year.

rsvman
12-07-2016, 09:46 AM
If we made your last clause "and does all the things." I believe it would be more accurate. Amile was spectacular throughout this game - and for the year.

I'm good with your correction. Makes it much more accurate. Thanks. :cool:

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2016, 10:11 AM
It was obviously a joke. gurufrisbee has been vociferous in his dislike of Matt Jones' game. He apparently values run/jump athleticism and offensive prowess, and doesn't see value in Jones' lockdowns of Miles Bridges this year and Sam Dekker in the 2015 championship game. He apparently sees in Jones just a slow, low-jumping, limited offensive player, and thinks Jones' lack of athleticism and offensive skills means he is the least useful of our regulars. Despite comments to the contrary by Coach K. Despite comments to the contrary by opposing coaches like Izzo. So he appears taking an opportunity to take a jab at Jones in what was obviously a bad game for him.

In fairness, Jones has been atrocious on offense of late. In the last 3 games, he's shooting 2-15, including 1-10 from 3. And he's open on the vast majority of these shots.

That said, Jones is making up for it with excellent ball handling (2 TOs in those three games), assists (9 total), and his usual excellent man-on-man D. But he's clearly lost with all of these potent offensive players. Hopefully, his shot starts falling sooner rather than later (and he only takes open, smart shots).

CDu
12-07-2016, 10:24 AM
In fairness, Jones has been atrocious on offense of late. In the last 3 games, he's shooting 2-15, including 1-10 from 3. And he's open on the vast majority of these shots.

That said, Jones is making up for it with excellent ball handling (2 TOs in those three games), assists (9 total), and his usual excellent man-on-man D. But he's clearly lost with all of these potent offensive players. Hopefully, his shot starts falling sooner rather than later (and he only takes open, smart shots).

Oh, absolutely. There is no argument that Jones is among the top 5 or 6 offensive players on this Duke team. He might very well be the 8th best offensive player on this team (once Giles is healthy), and I'd argue that he's no better than 7th offensively. But his value is his defense. He's fantastic on that end. And on a team with as many offensive weapons as this Duke team has, having a good defensive player who doesn't need the ball on offense is hardly a bad thing.

It's worth noting that him (and Jackson) bringing the ball up court against pressure has some value in that it allows Kennard and Allen to steal a few seconds of rest on each possession. That's not intended to overstate Jones' skill; he's very much just a caretaker with the ball, not a PG. And yes, Jackson does this well, too. But having a caretaker to save the legs of our key offensive playmakers isn't a bad thing. And what Jones does better than Jackson is play defense, both individually and at the team level.

DukieInBrasil
12-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Oh, absolutely. There is no argument that Jones is among the top 5 or 6 offensive players on this Duke team. He might very well be the 8th best offensive player on this team (once Giles is healthy), and I'd argue that he's no better than 7th offensively. But his value is his defense. He's fantastic on that end. And on a team with as many offensive weapons as this Duke team has, having a good defensive player who doesn't need the ball on offense is hardly a bad thing.

It's worth noting that him (and Jackson) bringing the ball up court against pressure has some value in that it allows Kennard and Allen to steal a few seconds of rest on each possession. That's not intended to overstate Jones' skill; he's very much just a caretaker with the ball, not a PG. And yes, Jackson does this well, too. But having a caretaker to save the legs of our key offensive playmakers isn't a bad thing. And what Jones does better than Jackson is play defense, both individually and at the team level.

everything you said here is true, and i have learned to value Matt's contributions more and more over time. Even the "no athleticism" canard isn't as true as it used to be, as Matt has thrown down several dunks this year!
However, last night Matt made a few un-Matt-like plays (the out-of-bounds-under-opponents-basket save) and coughed up the ball with very little pressure on him, and a play that ended up not being a big deal but could have hurt us in a different game (the intentional foul in which Florida got 0 pts). He wasn't really able to stay with his man, and particularly early in the game, this put immense pressure on our interior D leading to fouls and all sorts of points in the paint for Florida. K made some adjustments and this didn't continue to be as much of an issue.
Despite being simply a caretaker of the ball when he plays "PG", he is still prone to cough it up under pressure. I think that his teammates have to be more proactive in this type of situation, and realize that it's coming and go to him for easy passes.
Matt has his limitations, and he seems to know them, and usually plays well within those limits. His overall value to this team is much more than either his ppg or his shooting percentages can indicate. Count me in the "Matt Fan Club".

CDu
12-07-2016, 12:10 PM
everything you said here is true, and i have learned to value Matt's contributions more and more over time. Even the "no athleticism" canard isn't as true as it used to be, as Matt has thrown down several dunks this year!
However, last night Matt made a few un-Matt-like plays (the out-of-bounds-under-opponents-basket save) and coughed up the ball with very little pressure on him, and a play that ended up not being a big deal but could have hurt us in a different game (the intentional foul in which Florida got 0 pts). He wasn't really able to stay with his man, and particularly early in the game, this put immense pressure on our interior D leading to fouls and all sorts of points in the paint for Florida. K made some adjustments and this didn't continue to be as much of an issue.
Despite being simply a caretaker of the ball when he plays "PG", he is still prone to cough it up under pressure. I think that his teammates have to be more proactive in this type of situation, and realize that it's coming and go to him for easy passes.
Matt has his limitations, and he seems to know them, and usually plays well within those limits. His overall value to this team is much more than either his ppg or his shooting percentages can indicate. Count me in the "Matt Fan Club".

I wouldn't call him "prone" to coughing it up. He does so pretty rarely. But he definitely had three awful plays last night:
- the intentional foul
- getting picked near half court on a lazy crossover
- after winning a rebound battle with UF's big, while falling out of bounds, he made the cardinal sin of saving the ball under his own basket... right to a UF player for a layup.

Last night definitely does not go down as a positive for his play. He was mostly just meh, with a dose of awful. Unfortunately his defense didn't stand out and his offense stunk. Thankfully that was atypical of his typical defensive play, as were the brain farts on offense.

Lar77
12-07-2016, 12:57 PM
I voted for Jefferson because he was a beast not only on the court but in the time outs (his intensity has to help raise our entire defense).

Kennard carried us throughout the game, especially in the first few minutes. Tatum's coming out party sealed the game for us.

Count me in as a Jones fan. He made a couple of bad plays (violating the cardinal rule of don't throw the ball under the opposing basket as you're going out), but his defense overall was very good.

Allen is off (2 airballs???!!!), but he made some great plays at the right time.

Back to Jones. He is unspectacular but is under control and brings control to the rest of the team, which we need. We have plenty of offense, and I don't care if he never takes a shot. I want to see him in the game as much as possible.

Florida is a very good team and they got hot towards the end. This was not an easy win, but as Mike White said at halftime, we were just better.

mgtr
12-07-2016, 03:57 PM
There was another Jones, KC Jones, during the heyday of the Celtics (and later as a coach). Red Auerbach said something to the effect that KC was not the fastest player, the best jumper, or the best shooter, but when he was in the game the Celtics won. Something like that may also be true for our Matt Jones.