PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Williams' #1 to be Retired

burnspbesq
12-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Elizabeth Willams jersey to be retired at the Kentucky game on 12/29.

Spencer's Daddy
12-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Chris Moreland's #24 needs to be up there.

killerleft
12-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Congrats to Elizabeth!

Several Devils should be rafterized. Moreland and Schweitzer are two strong candidates.

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Missed Burns' announcement. Congrats to Ewill. :)

OldPhiKap
12-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Missed Burns' announcement. Congrats to Ewill. :)

Well-deserved. Congrats!!

wandalee
12-05-2016, 06:58 PM
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18210167/duke-blue-devils-retire-elizabeth-williams-no-1-jersey

Dukehky
12-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Nicest girl ever. Glad she's alongside Alana and Lindsay.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Chris Moreland's #24 needs to be up there.

In 1986, Chris Moreland was voted athlete of the year at Duke over Johnny Dawkins. Think about that.

Hard to believe this has not already been done.

Jim3k
12-06-2016, 04:45 AM
In 1986, Chris Moreland was voted athlete of the year at Duke over Johnny Dawkins. Think about that.

Hard to believe this has not already been done.

Yup.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Well deserved and glad they are doing it but why do it over a break when no students will be around?

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Well deserved and glad they are doing it but why do it over a break when no students will be around?

It would need to tie in with Elizabeth's schedule, too. Looking at the team she plays for in Russia, they have a break from December 19th to January 8th, so my guess is that she will be coming home herself for the holidays. The Kentucky game is a good one to do it since it will be a high profile match-up.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Russia/Nadezhda_Orenburg/7636?Page=2

jtelander
12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

How many students attend WBB games these days?
How many that attend were enrolled when EW was at Duke?

In other words, why is student presence on campus relevant to the date selection?

Just wondering

I agree that the award is well deserved.

Inonehand
12-06-2016, 11:59 AM
EWill was very vocal about her displeasure with Coach P earlier in the year. Wonder if that relationship is on the mend.

Truth&Justise
08-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Didn't know a good spot to post this, but I had the pleasure of watching Elizabeth Williams play for the Atlanta Dream on Saturday. Much of the game came down to a matchup of Williams v. former-Blue-Devil-turned-UConn-Huskie Azura Stevens. Williams dominated.

With Liz Cambage out for Dallas, Williams was able to control the paint on defense (9 rebounds and 5 blocks). Her emphatic blocked shots fired up the team. And with Dallas closing to within three points late in the 4th quarter, the Dream went inside to Williams on back-to-back possessions. She converted both times (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMGwNUmvPWw&t=7m43s), finishing with 19 points in a 92-82 victory for the Dream.

The game was a blast, and it was so satisfying to see an all-time great Duke player just dominate inside at the most crucial moments.

WakeDevil
08-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Please move the apostrophe to the correct place.

rsvman
08-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Please move the apostrophe to the correct place.

Thank you. I was going to post that unless her last name is William, the apostrophe is in the wrong spot. Not only that, but the apostrophe should be followed by another "s," like this: Elizabeth Wiliiams's jersey to be retired.

Jim3k
08-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Thank you. I was going to post that unless her last name is William, the apostrophe is in the wrong spot. Not only that, but the apostrophe should be followed by another "s," like this: Elizabeth Wiliiams's jersey to be retired.

Wait a minnit! They's to many i's in her nayme. [Please note use of apostrophe here, not designating a possessive but trying to figure out how to make a plural.]

Mebbe sobuddy shulda noticed that thishere thread is 20 months old. Way passed time fer pickin nits.

But I love Strunk and White's possessive rule being enforced here on a name ending in s.

All in good nature, folks. All in good nature.

rsvman
08-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Wait a minnit! They's to many i's in her nayme. [Please note use of apostrophe here, not designating a possessive but trying to figure out how to make a plural.]

Mebbe sobuddy shulda noticed that thishere thread is 20 months old. Way passed time fer pickin nits.

But I love Strunk and White's possessive rule being enforced here on a name ending in s.

All in good nature, folks. All in good nature.

D'oh! You're right. Not enough l's and too many i's. Sigh.