PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 12/5-12/11

pfrduke
12-05-2016, 02:54 PM
A strong showing in the challenge, picking up 9 wins (even if Virginia and Clemson made it a little hairier than it should have been) but then a less strong showing on the weekend. Notre Dame is the only remaining undefeated ACC team (of 11 nationwide) and if they hold that status this time next week I'll be ecstatic (and I'm not even a Notre Dame fan).

Monday
[23]Syracuse vs. [80]Connecticut in Madison Square Garden (7:00, ESPN2)

Tuesday
[31]Florida State hosts [320]Southern Mississippi (7:00, ACCN)
[29]Miami hosts [328]South Carolina State (7:00, ACCN)
[6]Virginia hosts [151]East Carolina (7:00, ACCN)
[55]Wake Forest hosts [182]Charlotte (7:00, ACCN)
[2]Duke vs. [11]Florida in Madison Square Garden (9:00, ESPN)
[25]Notre Dame hosts [117]IUPU-Fort Wayne (9:00, ESPNU)

Wednesday
[57]Pittsburgh hosts [118]Buffalo (7:00, ACCN)
[7]Louisville hosts [167]Southern Illinois (7:00, ACCN)
[190]Boston College hosts [163]Harvard (7:00, ACCN)
[125]Georgia Tech at [43]Virginia Commonwealth (7:00, ESPNU)
[33]Virginia Tech hosts [334]Maryland-Eastern Shore (8:30, ACCN)
[3]North Carolina hosts [68]Davidson (9:00, ESPN2)

Thursday
[31]Florida State hosts [309]Nicholls (9:00, ESPNU)

Friday
[190]Boston College hosts [325]Hartford (7:00, ACCN)
[55]Wake Forest at [164]UNC-Greensboro (7:00, ESPN3)

Saturday
[23]Syracuse hosts [154]Boston University (12:00, ACCN)
[25]Notre Dame vs. [1]Villanova in Newark (12:00, CBS)
[7]Louisville hosts [171]Texas Southern (2:00, ACCN)
[57]Pittsburgh vs. [99]Penn State in Newark (2:30, CBSSN)
[36]Clemson hosts [189]Mercer (4:00, ACCN)
[63]NC State hosts [140]Tennessee State (4:00, ACCN)
[2]Duke vs. [183]UNLV in Las Vegas (5:15, ESPN)

Sunday
[33]Virginia Tech hosts [100]Mississippi (12:00, ESPNU)
[31]Florida State hosts [12]Florida (4:00, ESPNU)
[3]North Carolina hosts [95]Tennessee (5:00, ESPN)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 93-24
ACC Record vs. Power 6*: 21-18
America East: 3-0
American Athletic: 2-2
Atlantic Sun: 2-0
Atlantic Ten: 5-2
Big 12: 1-6
Big East: 2-3
Big Sky: 1-0
Big South: 8-0
B1G Ten: 15-5
Big West: 3-0
Colonial: 4-0
Conference USA: 2-0
Horizon: 1-0
Ivy: 4-0
MAAC: 3-0
MAC: 1-1
MEAC: 4-0
MVC: 3-0
MWC: 1-0
Northeast: 3-0
Ohio Valley: 2-0
Pac 12: 2-0
Patriot: 5-0
SEC: 1-4
Southern: 5-0
Southland: 1-1
Sun Belt: 2-0
SWAC: 2-0
WAC: 4-0
Non-D1: 1-0

*Big XII, B1G, Big East, Pac-12, SEC

Troublemaker
12-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Horrible loss by Cuse to UConn tonight. They really need Lydon to step up. He was supposed to be a breakout star this season but has been mediocre.

brevity
12-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Horrible loss by Cuse to UConn tonight. They really need Lydon to step up. He was supposed to be a breakout star this season but has been mediocre.

One could say that Lydon has been downright Rotten. What a punk.

Olympic Fan
12-06-2016, 12:33 AM
I have mixed feelings about the Syracuse gag job ...

On one hand, I pull for the ACC (except for the Cheats) outside the ACC and 'Cuse's meltdown is not good for the ACC's case as the best league.

On the other hand, I think I was the strongest preseason critic of the idea that Syracuse was a top 25 team -- I had them 12th in the league.

This is three losses in their last four games (and the one win was a lackluster victory at home over North Florida). With three losses already with a very weak non-conference schedule, Syracuse is going to need a very strong ACC showing to be an NCAA team.

ChillinDuke
12-06-2016, 09:28 AM

On one hand, I pull for the ACC (except for the Cheats) outside the ACC and 'Cuse's meltdown is not good for the ACC's case as the best league.

On the other hand, I think I was the strongest preseason critic of the idea that Syracuse was a top 25 team -- I had them 12th in the league.

This is three losses in their last four games (and the one win was a lackluster victory at home over North Florida). With three losses already with a very weak non-conference schedule, Syracuse is going to need a very strong ACC showing to be an NCAA team.

I was at the game last night (with great seats, I might add. Shout out to Al for the hook up!). Both teams looked pretty bad. Neither had what I would deem a very structured, well-run offense. UConn was very slow to react to the 'Cuse zone - way too slow to attack it appropriately. On the other hand, the 'Cuse zone did not look as bothersome as it has in the past. It seemed much more collapsed/inside the 3-pt arc than I'm used to when they are at their toughest. And UConn couldn't hit threes. I think they went ~25% from deep and ~30% from the field. Bad stuff.

The only way a team wins with those kind of shooting numbers is when the other team goes 23% and 25%, respectively. I mean can somebody hit a shot please?

Both teams also wanted to run a lot. Which was fun to watch because neither seemed very good at it. A lot of ragtag attempts, falling/flailing, driving when there's nothing there.

I'm 2 for 2 watching some pretty terrible college basketball at The Garden this year. Hoping to buck the trend tonight with our Devils!

- Chillin

Troublemaker
12-06-2016, 10:02 AM
One could say that Lydon has been downright Rotten. What a punk.

He's got to become more pistol than pop gun for them.

I think you were prescient that the Orange don't belong in the top tier of the conference. But I'd also be surprised if they finished below 10th when it's all said and done. They have more shooters than they usually have (although that was obviously not in evidence last night), and if the zone remains functional and Lydon can give them a bit more going forward, they're probably looking at 10-8 / 9-9 record in conference.

flyingdutchdevil
12-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18217960/duke-blue-devils-rest-teams-cannot-take-your-eyes-better-worse

Section on Duke:

Of course you're watching Duke, which possesses the top offense in America per KenPom.com. Yes, we get it. And we all know about the injuries Mike Krzyzewski's team endured last month. We're still waiting for the debut of Harry Giles. But how will this work when everyone is healthy? On Saturday, freshmen Marques Bolden (7 points) and Jayson Tatum (10 points) made their collegiate debuts. And Luke Kennard scored ... 35 points??!!! The Blue Devils have a Kardashian-level pool of stars. Everyone, however, can't be Kim. Someone has to be Rob, and someone has to be Tyga. So how will these lineups flow if and when Giles returns? Who accepts a reduced role? What happens with Kennard and young guard Frank Jackson? So many intriguing questions about a team seeking another national title.

Never would I have thought that Duke would be compared to the Kardashian family (I'm a little offended but more surprised than anything by that analogy), but I get it.

And, for the record, EVERYONE is talking about Kennard now. There is no way you plan to stop Allen, Kennard, or Tatum. That ain't happening. And that doesn't include Amile (our best post scorer) and Jackson (our best driver). It's nuts.

English
12-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18217960/duke-blue-devils-rest-teams-cannot-take-your-eyes-better-worse

Section on Duke:

Never would I have thought that Duke would be compared to the Kardashian family (I'm a little offended but more surprised than anything by that analogy), but I get it.

And, for the record, EVERYONE is talking about Kennard now. There is no way you plan to stop Allen, Kennard, or Tatum. That ain't happening. And that doesn't include Amile (our best post scorer) and Jackson (our best driver). It's nuts.

Funny write-up, and to keep the laughs coming, the author compares NCSU's team to the bro in the pick-up game who's only about the buckets and couldn't care a whit about any defense. Seems appropriate.

Olympic Fan
12-07-2016, 01:09 PM
One note from Tuesday night's game that wasn't in the ACC roundup on the front page.

In Miami's easy win over South Carolina State, freshman Bruce Brown recorded the first ACC triple double since 2011 -- 11 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

It was just the 27th recorded triple double in ACC history.

I say "recorded" because until the early 1970s, assists, blocks and steals were not official stats.

Duke's Art Heyman has the ACC's first recorded triple double -- in came against Virginia in the 1963 ACC Tournament opener. For some strange reason, the conference DID count assists during the conference tournament, so Heyman's 21 points, 18 rebounds and 12 assists were recorded.

He probably had half a dozen other triple doubles during his career that weren't recorded. He wasn't the only ACC player from the '50s and '60s to lose recognition because of the stat-keeping rules of the time.

devildeac
12-07-2016, 04:47 PM
One note from Tuesday night's game that wasn't in the ACC roundup on the front page.

In Miami's easy win over South Carolina State, freshman Bruce Brown recorded the first ACC triple double since 2011 -- 11 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

It was just the 27th recorded triple double in ACC history.

I say "recorded" because until the early 1970s, assists, blocks and steals were not official stats.

Duke's Art Heyman has the ACC's first recorded triple double -- in came against Virginia in the 1963 ACC Tournament opener. For some strange reason, the conference DID count assists during the conference tournament, so Heyman's 21 points, 18 rebounds and 12 assists were recorded.

He probably had half a dozen other triple doubles during his career that weren't recorded. He wasn't the only ACC player from the '50s and '60s to lose recognition because of the stat-keeping rules of the time.

Wonder if he had a quadruple double during the infamous fight game where "punches landed" would have counted? :rolleyes:

arnie
12-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Love the amplified sound of shoes squeaking at the Dome. End zone lower level empty and heels scoreless at 16:45

duke4ever19
12-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Love the amplified sound of shoes squeaking at the Dome. End zone lower level empty and heels scoreless at 16:45

Lots of empty seats. Strangely, they had to stop play because stuff was falling from the ceiling. There are video clips of it, plus the many empty seats.

www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-uncs-dean-dome-appears-to-be-falling-apart-game-stopped-due-to-falling-debris/

Olympic Fan
12-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Good win in OT for Georgia Tech on the road at VCU.

Career game by Tadrick Jackson (although he forced a bad 3 at the end of regulation that could have cost them). Great performance by Ben Lammers in the middle.

Good win for Tommy as Harvard beats BC for like the fifth time in the last six years.

Everybody else playing in the ACC tonight won easily against weak opposition.

There were two non-ACC upsets of note. TCU and Butler -- two of the last 11 unbeaten -- were upset by SMU and Indiana State, respectively.

Nine unbeaten left.

brevity
12-08-2016, 02:10 AM
Strangely, they had to stop play because stuff was falling from the ceiling. There are video clips of it, plus the many empty seats.

www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-uncs-dean-dome-appears-to-be-falling-apart-game-stopped-due-to-falling-debris/

CHAPEL HILL, NC -- Game play between the North Carolina men's basketball team and visiting Davidson was interrupted Wednesday night when confetti-like debris fell from the ceiling of the Dean E. Smith Center. The dozens of fans on hand were left to wonder what caused the incident.

"I told them that I wasn't an architect or a contractor, and that I only took one class in Art Restoration, but they had me perform repairs a few years ago," confessed J.P. Tokoto, former UNC player. "They said that if Tyler Hansbrough could negotiate an African treaty, then I could do this."

ESPN personality Dick Vitale pleaded with university officials to fix the building properly. "Are you kidding me? Dean Smith was like Michelangelo, and this is the Sistine Chapel. You have to restore it to greatness, baby! Get a professional in here, even that weird guy with the accent from Ghostbusters II!"

One Davidson player suggested another theory. "The bus driver that brought us here is a Duke fan, and he told us that the Smith Center is nothing but a house of cards built by the lies of a corrupt program, and it would soon fall apart," explained Jack Gibbs, star guard for the Wildcats. "He said that this was the worst structural manifestation of dirty basketball since the old Pyramid Scheme in Memphis under John Calipari."

UNC's bitter rival was also on the mind of its head coach. "It's a good thing this didn't happen at the frickin' Duke game," grumbled Roy Williams. "Once our fans get little bits of drywall in their cheese fondue, they'll never come back."

JasonEvans
12-08-2016, 09:50 AM
CHAPEL HILL, NC -- Game play between the North Carolina men's basketball team and visiting Davidson was interrupted Wednesday night when confetti-like debris fell from the ceiling of the Dean E. Smith Center. The dozens of fans on hand were left to wonder what caused the incident.

"I told them that I wasn't an architect or a contractor, and that I only took one class in Art Restoration, but they had me perform repairs a few years ago," confessed J.P. Tokoto, former UNC player. "They said that if Tyler Hansbrough could negotiate an African treaty, then I could do this."

ESPN personality Dick Vitale pleaded with university officials to fix the building properly. "Are you kidding me? Dean Smith was like Michelangelo, and this is the Sistine Chapel. You have to restore it to greatness, baby! Get a professional in here, even that weird guy with the accent from Ghostbusters II!"

One Davidson player suggested another theory. "The bus driver that brought us here is a Duke fan, and he told us that the Smith Center is nothing but a house of cards built by the lies of a corrupt program, and it would soon fall apart," explained Jack Gibbs, star guard for the Wildcats. "He said that this was the worst structural manifestation of dirty basketball since the old Pyramid Scheme in Memphis under John Calipari."

UNC's bitter rival was also on the mind of its head coach. "It's a good thing this didn't happen at the frickin' Duke game," grumbled Roy Williams. "Once our fans get little bits of drywall in their cheese fondue, they'll never come back."

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on brevity again.

Someone please take care of this for me.

devildeac
12-08-2016, 09:57 AM

Done.

PackMan97
12-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Lots of empty seats. Strangely, they had to stop play because stuff was falling from the ceiling. There are video clips of it, plus the many empty seats.

It does appear that Chapel Hill is finally freezing over :)

Stray Gator
12-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Maybe it was just some of the confetti they had planned to release on the crowd that was there watching the telecast of the Villanova game last April.

chrishoke
12-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Good win in OT for Georgia Tech on the road at VCU.

Career game by Tadrick Jackson (although he forced a bad 3 at the end of regulation that could have cost them). Great performance by Ben Lammers in the middle.

Good win for Tommy as Harvard beats BC for like the fifth time in the last six years.

Everybody else playing in the ACC tonight won easily against weak opposition.

There were two non-ACC upsets of note. TCU and Butler -- two of the last 11 unbeaten -- were upset by SMU and Indiana State, respectively.

Nine unbeaten left.

Semi had 23 in the big win over TCU, although he took 20 shots to do it.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Maybe it was just some of the confetti they had planned to release on the crowd that was there watching the telecast of the Villanova game last April.

I'm guessing it's the documents shredded instead of turned over to Weinstein. Must've hid them at the top of the Nose Dome.

kmspeaks
12-08-2016, 04:44 PM

Hilarious!
Dang it, I couldn't spork either.

Olympic Fan
12-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Big night for FSU Thursday -- 118 points against Nichols State.

Amazing that seven players hit double figures and an eighth missed it by one point ... AND none of that includes freshman Jonathan Isaac, who mssed a second straight game with minor injury.

Lot's of depth there.

Two lousy games tonight ... although the Wake-UNCG game does happen to be the 1,000th game ever played between the ACC and the Southern Conference since the ACC broke off from the Southern Conference in 1953. The ACC is 810-189 in such games.

Olympic Fan
12-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Wow ... two amazing finishes.

At BC, Hartford hits a 3 with two seconds left for a 65-63 win over Boston College.

In Greensboro, Bryant Crawford hits a 3 with two seconds left to give Wake Forest a 78-75 victory over UNCG.

DU82
12-10-2016, 06:25 PM
State needs overtime in Reynolds to beat our next opponent, Tennessee State. (They did win by 12, outscoring TSU 17=5 in OT.)

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-10-2016, 07:26 PM
State needs overtime in Reynolds to beat our next opponent, Tennessee State. (They did win by 12, outscoring TSU 17=5 in OT.)
Reynolds? Did they quit the Pork Palace?

CDu
12-10-2016, 07:28 PM

It was their annual one game in Reynolds.

devildeac
12-10-2016, 11:25 PM

PNC Arena=Pork Nutritional Center Arena :rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
12-11-2016, 12:48 AM
I watched the end of the NC State-Tennessee State game on replay.

Freshman point guard Dennis Smith saved them -- he hit an amazing shot -- as he was floating out of bounds -- to tie the game at the end of regulation ... then blocked a shot in the lane at the other end to keep it tied. Then his steal and layup to open the OT got State off to a good start. Even though they ended up winning by 12 in the extra period, it wasn't that easy. They were u[p one when with a minute left in OT, Tennessee State missed a shot in the lane ... State finished the game on an 11-0 run in the final 56 seconds to make it look easy.

State still doesn't have their full team -- Yurtseven becomes eligible Dec. 15 -- plus they need some time to work Rowan back into the rotation.

Just noticed that the next 48 hours represent a little ACC-SEC Challenge.

Three games Sunday -- Ole Miss at VPI; Florida at FSU and Tennessee at UNC (Rick Barnes still looking for his first win in Chapel Hill).

One game Monday -- Auburn at Boston College.

The ACC trails the SEC 2-4 in head-to-head matchups so far. And the Auburn BC game is almost a sure loss ... so the ACC needs to sweep Sunday to get even with the SEC.

On the other hand, Pitt beat Penn State Saturday -- that makes the ACC a healthy 16-6 against the Big Ten.

devildeac
12-11-2016, 02:54 PM
I watched the end of the NC State-Tennessee State game on replay.

Freshman point guard Dennis Smith saved them -- he hit an amazing shot -- as he was floating out of bounds -- to tie the game at the end of regulation ... then blocked a shot in the lane at the other end to keep it tied. Then his steal and layup to open the OT got State off to a good start. Even though they ended up winning by 12 in the extra period, it wasn't that easy. They were u[p one when with a minute left in OT, Tennessee State missed a shot in the lane ... State finished the game on an 11-0 run in the final 56 seconds to make it look easy.

State still doesn't have their full team -- Yurtseven becomes eligible Dec. 15 -- plus they need some time to work Rowan back into the rotation.

Just noticed that the next 48 hours represent a little ACC-SEC Challenge.

Three games Sunday -- Ole Miss at VPI; Florida at FSU and Tennessee at UNC (Rick Barnes still looking for his first win in Chapel Hill).

One game Monday -- Auburn at Boston College.

The ACC trails the SEC 2-4 in head-to-head matchups so far. And the Auburn BC game is almost a sure loss ... so the ACC needs to sweep Sunday to get even with the SEC.

On the other hand, Pitt beat Penn State Saturday -- that makes the ACC a healthy 16-6 against the Big Ten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbOtWeAEnY

DukieInBrasil
12-11-2016, 03:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbOtWeAEnY
perhaps the best line in all of American folk music is in Rocky Top:

"...once i had a girl up on ol' Rocky Top, half bear the other half cat/
wild as a mink and sweet as soda pop, i still dream about that..."

Olympic Fan
12-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Where have I seen this before?

Rick Barnes on the sideline in Chapel Hill. His team, dressed in orange, leads UNC the whole way, gives up the lead in the final seconds, then botches the final shot.

Amazing ... and BRW that was an awful last shot with one second left and the Vols down two.

The ACC goes 3-0 against the SEC.

VPI choked away 13 points of a 14-point lead, but played the final minute with pose to win.

FSU took control of the Florida game last and won.

PS FWIW, UNC is not nearly the same team with Joel Berry on the sidelines.

Devilwin
12-11-2016, 07:14 PM
UNC hung on to beat Tennessee by two points. The Vols lead nearly the entire game, but blew it at the end. UNC did not impress me, heck, UNLV looked as good as Tennessee.:rolleyes:

slower
12-11-2016, 07:18 PM
How about we move this to the "This Week in The ACC" thread and not dignify it with its own thread?

Indoor66
12-11-2016, 07:28 PM
How about we move this to the "This Week in The ACC" thread and not dignify it with its own thread?

Good idea for this game and all cheat games.

NO cheat threads.

NashvilleDevil
12-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I know at this point it is pointless to pile on Ol' Roy but here it goes. Justin Jackson scored the go ahead basket for Carolina tonight, good on him putting his 2/14 night behind him when he hit the layup. I remember Jackson being in the same class as Jah, Tyus, and Justise. I went ahead and looked at the RSCI for the four of them and Jackson was rated higher than Tyus and Justise. Hard to believe he's still at Carolina since Roy gets his top 10 recruits ready for the league.

Edit: I was wrong. Tyus was rated higher than Jackson in the final RSCI.

Olympic Fan
12-11-2016, 08:19 PM
I know at this point it is pointless to pile on Ol' Roy but here it goes. Justin Jackson scored the go ahead basket for Carolina tonight, good on him putting his 2/14 night behind him when he hit the layup. I remember Jackson being in the same class as Jah, Tyus, and Justise. I went ahead and looked at the RSCI for the four of them and Jackson was rated higher than Tyus and Justise. Hard to believe he's still at Carolina since Roy gets his top 10 recruits ready for the league.

Edit: I was wrong. Tyus was rated higher than Jackson in the final RSCI.

It's been pointed out before that Jackson AND Pinson are the two highest ranked players from their class who haven't gone pro yet.

And to continue the theme, Isaiah Hicks is the highest rated player in HIS class who haven't gone pro.

NashvilleDevil
12-11-2016, 08:23 PM
It's been pointed out before that Jackson AND Pinson are the two highest ranked players from their class who haven't gone pro yet.

And to continue the theme, Isaiah Hicks is the highest rated player in HIS class who haven't gone pro.

I wonder if Kevin Knox pays attention to that? The big one for me with Roy was Harrison Barnes staying 2 years. Consensus top player in the class and stays 2 years that is not a good look in today's college basketball landscape.

OldPhiKap
12-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Yeah, but they get a degree from UNC. So if they are ever out of toilet paper, they're set.

devildeac
12-11-2016, 08:42 PM
As Ozzie and his friends chanted at Rick Barnes at MSG when Duke demolished Texas: "Just like Clemson-clap/clap/clap-clap-clap."

"That's just the way it is.
Some things will never change."

juise
12-12-2016, 01:31 AM
As Ozzie and his friends chanted at Rick Barnes at MSG when Duke demolished Texas: "Just like Clemson-clap/clap/clap-clap-clap."

That game was in the Izod Center (NJ) and was the day of the Heisman ceremony. The Texas fans in the parking lots, trying to grasp for dignity, said mocking things about Duke football. We were like "Yeah, well Reggie Bush is about to win the Heisman" (over Vince Young). We were right, but of course Vince and Texas got the last laugh in the Rose Bowl.

Green Wave Dukie
12-12-2016, 06:26 AM

But don't you believe them.

devildeac
12-12-2016, 07:02 AM
[/B]

But don't you believe them.

Sad, but true. Even yesterday, with UT leading the cheats, I kept looking at the Vols bench and seeing Barnes and thought, "He's gonna figure out yet another way to lose in chappaheeya." :mad:

OldPhiKap
12-12-2016, 07:30 AM
ROY KNEW.

Not on point, but felt like saying it this morning.

Indoor66
12-12-2016, 07:52 AM
ROY KNEW.

Not on point, but felt like saying it this morning.

So did Dean!😠

OldPhiKap
12-12-2016, 08:49 AM
So did Dean!😠

Darn straight, skippy.

devilseven
12-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Sad, but true. Even yesterday, with UT leading the cheats, I kept looking at the Vols bench and seeing Barnes and thought, "He's gonna figure out yet another way to lose in chappaheeya." :mad:

You guys shouldn't be so hard on Rick. Remember when he was at Clemson, he got up in Dean's face and called him out. Save Coach K, no one else would do that. Rick's a hero in my mind!!