PDA

View Full Version : The ACC and The Bowl Games

CharlestonDave
12-05-2016, 06:17 AM
There are 42 Bowl games this year and 11 out of the 14 ACC teams are playing in them . ONly Duke, Syracuse and Virginia are not ( not they deserved to be in one ).

I cannot imagine , unless you are an alumni of one of the schools, why you would watch Old Dominion-Eastern Michigan, Colorado State -Idaho, Toledo-Appalachian State, USF-South Carolina, Air Force -South Alabama, Ohio -Troy , Kentucky- Georgia Tech, ( unless you are Ashley Judd ) , etc. etc.

There are, however, some interesting games, Western Michigan , ( only undefeated team other than Alabama ) - Wisconsin, Penn State - USC, , Michigan-Florida State, Louisville- LSU and of course the National Championship matchups , although Alabama-Washington in my mind is a mis- match

Olympic Fan
12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
There are 42 Bowl games this year and 11 out of the 14 ACC teams are playing in them . ONly Duke, Syracuse and Virginia are not ( not they deserved to be in one ).

I cannot imagine , unless you are an alumni of one of the schools, why you would watch Old Dominion-Eastern Michigan, Colorado State -Idaho, Toledo-Appalachian State, USF-South Carolina, Air Force -South Alabama, Ohio -Troy , Kentucky- Georgia Tech, ( unless you are Ashley Judd ) , etc. etc.

There are, however, some interesting games, Western Michigan , ( only undefeated team other than Alabama ) - Wisconsin, Penn State - USC, , Michigan-Florida State, Louisville- LSU and of course the National Championship matchups , although Alabama-Washington in my mind is a mis- match

Everybody has their own prejudices. Don't project yours on everybody else. I am a casual fan and I have no interest in several of the games you mention, but I'll definitely be watching Georgia Tech-Kentucky and Air Force-South Alabama (I LOVE watching triple option football). Yeah, there are too many bowl games, but so what -- better than some undeserving teams get bowls than deserving teams don't. I doesn't hurt anybody.

I still remember Duke's 7-3-1 team in 1988 that DIDN'T get a bowl -- a team that won at Tennessee -- and how disappointed I was.

PS I thought there are really just 40 FBS bowls, involving 80 teams. Sometimes the CFP championship game is counted to get to 41 -- but that's just two teams playing twice. A 42nd bowl would be the Celebration Bowl, which is an FCS bowl matching the two best historically black colleges for the unofficial Black National Championship. This year it's Gambling vs. the NCCU team that Duke beat.

CharlestonDave
12-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Everybody has their own prejudices. Don't project yours on everybody else. I am a casual fan and I have no interest in several of the games you mention, but I'll definitely be watching Georgia Tech-Kentucky and Air Force-South Alabama (I LOVE watching triple option football). Yeah, there are too many bowl games, but so what -- better than some undeserving teams get bowls than deserving teams don't. I doesn't hurt anybody.

I still remember Duke's 7-3-1 team in 1988 that DIDN'T get a bowl -- a team that won at Tennessee -- and how disappointed I was.

PS I thought there are really just 40 FBS bowls, involving 80 teams. Sometimes the CFP championship game is counted to get to 41 -- but that's just two teams playing twice. A 42nd bowl would be the Celebration Bowl, which is an FCS bowl matching the two best historically black colleges for the unofficial Black National Championship. This year it's Gambling vs. the NCCU team that Duke beat.

Didn't mean to insult anyone. If I did then I apologize. Would like to see the ratings on ESPN for Kentucky- Georgia Tech and Air Force - South Alabama. Maybe I am wrong .

BigWayne
06-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Even more bowl games are slated to be added in 2020. (http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/06/report-three-bowl-games-added-2020/)

One is expected to be including an ACC team in Wrigley Field.

Reilly
06-11-2018, 07:32 PM
So Coastal Carolina in Conway would host the Myrtle Beach bowl.

AtlDuke72
06-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Even more bowl games are slated to be added in 2020. (http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/06/report-three-bowl-games-added-2020/)

One is expected to be including an ACC team in Wrigley Field.

The Bears used to play at Wrigley. The left field wall was one yard behind the end zone at one end. The other end zone was not full sized with one end shortened at one end by the first base dug out which clipped off part of it. I don’t know how they can play there now.

BigWayne
06-11-2018, 07:49 PM
The Bears used to play at Wrigley. The left field wall was one yard behind the end zone at one end. The other end zone was not full sized with one end shortened at one end by the first base dug out which clipped off part of it. I don’t know how they can play there now.
NW has a game scheduled there against Wisconsin and claim they will have two end zones. (https://www.insidenu.com/2018/5/30/17410946/northwestern-wisconsin-football-wrigley-field-2020-announcement-big-ten) They played a game there in 2010 using only one end zone. (https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/sports/ncaafootball/20wrigley.html)

Bluedog
06-11-2018, 07:49 PM

When Northwestern played there a few years ago, they had the offense always go in the same direction (except on turnovers of course). It's possible that with the $1B stadium renovation, they put something in place to make things removable for a football game. Wouldn't shock me...

BigWayne
06-11-2018, 07:54 PM
When Northwestern played there a few years ago, they had the offense always go in the same direction (except on turnovers of course). It's possible that with the $1B stadium renovation, they put something in place to make things removable for a football game. Wouldn't shock me...

You are correct. Apparently, they are moving the dugouts, which will make it possible to fit the field. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-wrigley-field-bowl-game-cubs-spt-0106-20170105-story.html)

jimsumner
06-12-2018, 11:25 AM
We should have a series of bowl games matching 5-7 teams. Call them the Losing-Eight-Games-And-Still-Calling-the-Season-a-Success Bowls.

DukieInKansas
06-12-2018, 12:20 PM
We should have a series of bowl games matching 5-7 teams. Call them the Losing-Eight-Games-And-Still-Calling-the-Season-a-Success Bowls.

There were a number of years prior to Coach Cutcliffe arriving that I would suggest Duke plas Kansas in the Mediocre Bowl. Your bowl name has a better ring to it.

uh_no
06-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Tyson Chicken Terribowl
Head-On Horribowl
United Airways Untolerabowl
Century Link Laughabowl
AA Middle Seat Miserabowl
Equifax Forgettabowl

OldPhiKap
06-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Lebowski Shabbat Bowl

HereBeforeCoachK
06-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Tyson Chicken Terribowl
Head-On Horribowl
Century Link Laughabowl
Equifax Forgettabowl

or a nickname for all of them once the TV schedule is out...the "What's On Netflix Now" Bowl

Related question: is anyone else still haunted by the clock management issues at the end of the first half in the Chick Fil-A Bowl? I am. If it's 42-17 instead of 38-17, I think that's a bridge too far for Johnny FB and A&M.

uh_no
06-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Lebowski Shabbat Bowl

Smokey the Bear Smoke-a-Bowl

Tappan Zee Devil
06-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Smokey the Bear Smoke-a-Bowl

so - what are you smoking?

devildeac
06-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Tyson Chicken Terribowl
Head-On Horribowl
Century Link Laughabowl
Equifax Forgettabowl

If you're one of the posters that hates puns, then shame, shame on you.

If however, you're one of the cognoscenti who greatly appreciates the fine art of punnery (:rolleyes:), then well played, sir.

AustinDevil
06-13-2018, 10:42 AM
or a nickname for all of them once the TV schedule is out...the "What's On Netflix Now" Bowl

Related question: is anyone else still haunted by the clock management issues at the end of the first half in the Chick Fil-A Bowl? I am. If it's 42-17 instead of 38-17, I think that's a bridge too far for Johnny FB and A&M.

Yes. And in retrospect we should've tried to punch it in.

devildeac
06-13-2018, 10:56 AM

We were seated in the end zone opposite from where we had the ball. I still swear I saw a goal line ref on the far right side (looking from our seats) signal TD with about 10 seconds remaining and I think our players and staff were elated/confused and allowed several critical seconds to elapse before we realized what had "happened." If someone is willing to go back and watch it...

HereBeforeCoachK
06-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Not retrospect..... I was screaming at the TV at the time.....WTF are you guys doing??? CALL TO. By the time they did, it was FG time. We were rolling.......we never rolled like that since......not in the second half of that bowl game, and never since then.

Roper left, Montgomery took over, and well....Boone went backwards....don't get me started...(I guess I already am). Seriously though, Duke was a DADGUM GOOD TEAM for that half. Really really good.

Wander
06-13-2018, 01:25 PM

It's amazing how college football is simultaneously the best and worst sport.