PDA

View Full Version : Amile Jefferson Double Double Watch (and other season and career stats)

uh_no
12-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Shelden averaged a double averaged a double double in the 04-05 season. He was the first under K, and I don't think there have been any since. Mason came close twice, averaging 9.9 rebs his senior year.

Currently Amile has 88 rebounds and 132 points over 9 games, putting him 2 rebounds short of the mark.

With 22 games remaining in the regular season, Amile needs 222 rebounds (10.1 per), and 178 points (8.1 per).

The introduction of Bolden, and hopefully soon Giles down low could be either a boon or bust for amile. While when he's on the floor, we'll be going "big" more often, meaning amile will be fighting shorter opponents for boards. On the other hand, his minutes may dip, limiting opportunities. Given coach's respect of senior leadership, hopefully he can keep it going and K can have his second ever double-doubler!

Also to watch, amile needs 171 more points to hit 1000 for his career. He should hit this easily. Perhaps more on the cusp, he needs 269 rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. Matt jones also needs 261 points for 1000.

games
amile boards
jones points

SCMatt33
12-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Thanks for compiling this. Another one to keep an eye on is Luke. After his 35 point outburst, he has exactly 600 points for his career, which depending on how many games are left, his average needed to get to 1000 ranges from 12.9 to 16.7, well within his range. Of course, we're a very long way away from this, but if we're talking about a sophomore who isn't an obvious 1st round pick scoring 1000 points, he could be on track to eventually threaten 2000.

jimsumner
12-03-2016, 11:51 PM
Shelden Williams averaged a double-double in both 2005 and 2006.

Duke lists Mason Plumlee as averaging 10.0 rpg in 2013.

For the record.

uh_no
12-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Shelden Williams averaged a double-double in both 2005 and 2006.

Duke lists Mason Plumlee as averaging 10.0 rpg in 2013.

For the record.

Per duke, he had 359 rebounds in 36 games. Even if they round the per game number when it is displayed, he still came one board short.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=2740

Olympic Fan
12-04-2016, 12:31 AM
Per duke, he had 359 rebounds in 36 games. Even if they round the per game number when it is displayed, he still came one board short.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=2740

359 rebounds in 36 games is 9.972222, but points and rebounds are rounded to the nearest 10th -- so Mason was officially (as Jim said) at 10.0 rebounds a game in 2013.

Arguing that 9.97222 is below 10.0 is like arguing that Ted Williams DID have to play on the final day of the 1941 season. Sure, his average rounded to .400, but technically it was at .39950. The legendary story about how Ted risked his .400 average by playing in the final doubleheader is thereby deflated.

uh_no
12-06-2016, 11:57 PM
against florida, amile had 24 and 15, bringing his totals to 103 boards and 156 points over 10 games, putting him 3 boards and 56 points ahead of the mark. With 21 games remaining, amile needs 207 (9.85) boards and 154 points (7.3). To hit 1000 for his career, he needs 147 points. I'll hold off on the matt points for should he get back to a scoring ways, which given the talent on this team, is not what we need him to do. Amile needs 254 more rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. The breakdown based on games remaining:

games
amile boards

g-money
12-07-2016, 01:22 AM
My favorite moment from tonight's game was when Amile hit a tough bank shot to put Duke up by 10-12 points, then ran down the court and yelled, "let's get a f---ing stop!" The heart of a champion.

I'm going on the record with the prediction that Amile will make an opening-day NBA roster next year. Forget the fact that he's a tweener, no jump shot, etc. The guy is a flat out winner.

Spanarkel
12-07-2016, 07:23 AM
359 rebounds in 36 games is 9.972222, but points and rebounds are rounded to the nearest 10th -- so Mason was officially (as Jim said) at 10.0 rebounds a game in 2013.

Arguing that 9.97222 is below 10.0 is like arguing that Ted Williams DID have to play on the final day of the 1941 season. Sure, his average rounded to .400, but technically it was at .39950. The legendary story about how Ted risked his .400 average by playing in the final doubleheader is thereby deflated.

Always enjoy your posts, Olympic Fan, but IMO Ted Williams DID risk his batting .400+ by playing on the final day of '41(a doubleheader). He batted 8 times that day and recorded 6 hits, but if he had batted those same 8 times and gotten 2 or fewer hits, his final season average would not have rounded up to .400. So, at least the way I interpret risk, he did put his .400 average in jeopardy("risk")but playing those two games on the final day. Of course, as you point out, IF he had not played the final day, his official average would have rounded to .400(and would have been significantly higher if not for his era's rule that SFs counted as at bats).

CDu
12-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Always enjoy your posts, Olympic Fan, but IMO Ted Williams DID risk his batting .400+ by playing on the final day of '41(a doubleheader). He batted 8 times that day and recorded 6 hits, but if he had batted those same 8 times and gotten 2 or fewer hits, his final season average would not have rounded up to .400. So, at least the way I interpret risk, he did put his .400 average in jeopardy("risk")but playing those two games on the final day. Of course, as you point out, IF he had not played the final day, his official average would have rounded to .400(and would have been significantly higher if not for his era's rule that SFs counted as at bats).

Olympic is making the same point as you. He is saying that arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game isn't 10 rebounds per game is the same thing as arguing that Williams shouldn't have been counted as being at .400 without his having played (and hit well) in the last day of that season (because .3995 is not .400). Which would make the legend of his guts to play the last day a lot less legendary. Olympic is indeed arguing - exactly as you are - that Williams WAS a .400 hitter prior to the last day, and that he most certainly DID put his feat at risk. And he's arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game would indeed be 10 rebounds per game.

uh_no
12-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Olympic is making the same point as you. He is saying that arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game isn't 10 rebounds per game is the same thing as arguing that Williams shouldn't have been counted as being at .400 without his having played (and hit well) in the last day of that season (because .3995 is not .400). Which would make the legend of his guts to play the last day a lot less legendary. Olympic is indeed arguing - exactly as you are - that Williams WAS a .400 hitter prior to the last day, and that he most certainly DID put his feat at risk. And he's arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game would indeed be 10 rebounds per game.

I could go into a rant about significant figures and exact values.....but it's not worth it as I doubt anyone will change their mind on the subject.

cato
12-07-2016, 12:33 PM
I could go into a rant about significant figures and exact values....but it's not worth it as I doubt anyone will change their mind on the subject.

Would your rant include a discussion of how meaningless the number 10 is?

ChillinDuke
12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
I could go into a rant about significant figures and exact values....but it's not worth it as I doubt anyone will change their mind on the subject.

Oh, oh! I love rants! Please proceed!

- Chillin

CrazyNotCrazie
12-07-2016, 01:09 PM
A few years ago I found a site that frequently updated a list of how many points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks every Duke player for a long time had and they could be easily sorted to rank the players by a given category. Does anyone know of the site or something similar? It would be fun to track where current players rank, such as Amile's rebounds.

53n206
12-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Oh, oh! I love rants! Please proceed!

- Chillin

And I,fortunate to see Ted Williams play many times,always loved to see him play. Always a threat.

uh_no
12-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Would your rant include a discussion of how meaningless the number 10 is?

I had considered that as well. If a 9.95 is good enough, we should call it a double-nine-and-nineteen-twentieths. It would be just as arbitrary of a stat...but at least it would accurately represent what it claims to.

By and large, I don't care about "milestones"...since they're often small multiples of a power ten....which is only relevant in base 10 anyway.

But people care....so here we are.

niveklaen
12-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Watching Amile these last few games I have been trying to figure out who his post offense reminds me of and it just struck me that the answer is Okafor. I wonder if a season of observing/defending Okafor allowed Amile to learn many of his post moves.

DukieInBrasil
12-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Watching Amile these last few games I have been trying to figure out who his post offense reminds me of and it just struck me that the answer is Okafor. I wonder if a season of observing/defending Okafor allowed Amile to learn many of his post moves.

no way. Okafor had a legit jumper, Amile doesn't. Okafor also had spectacular footwork to get traditional post-player shots. Amile also has great footwork, but his shooting angles are way, way different than Oak's. Amile can drive from the elbow, Oak didn't really do that. Oak was a good rebounder at Duke (not so much in the NBA), but mostly b/c of position, not b/c he was particularly quick or agile to get rebounds out of his area. Amile both gets good position but can also move laterally to get rebounds out of his area pretty well. I see very little similarity between their games, other than the numbers.

elvis14
12-07-2016, 03:36 PM

Not a bad thought but IMHO Amile hasn't overhauled his offense he's just gotten better at it over time. He's always been crafty around the basket. He's gotten even more so over time but he's also gotten much more aggressive and is looking for his shot. I couldn't be happier with his progression but I don't think he's channeling his inner Jah, I just think he's a better player doing what he does as a 5th year senior captain.

Volunteer Duke
12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Amile has a chance to be Duke's 67th 1,000 point scorer.

He currently has 853 points and 25-30 games to do it.

Spanarkel
12-08-2016, 08:05 AM
A few years ago I found a site that frequently updated a list of how many points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks every Duke player for a long time had and they could be easily sorted to rank the players by a given category. Does anyone know of the site or something similar? It would be fun to track where current players rank, such as Amile's rebounds.

Good question. The GoDuke site's Duke Basketball Database is a great source for individual player stats, boxscores of games for the past 70+ years, and team season stats, but it doesn't appear to currently have an all-time records section. Can someone please help? Thanks.

SCMatt33
12-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Good question. The GoDuke site's Duke Basketball Database is a great source for individual player stats, boxscores of games for the past 70+ years, and team season stats, but it doesn't appear to currently have an all-time records section. Can someone please help? Thanks.

There isn't a list like that in the database, though you can find where individuals rank if you go to the "miscellaneous" tab on their player page. For a simple listing of all time Duke leaders, the best source is probably the media guide. It has an extensive records section.

Also a quick update on Luke's chase for 1000. After putting up 29, the averages he needs dropped to between 12.4 and 16.1 ppg depending on how many games are left. Another interesting stat that Luke is chasing is the 50-40-90 club. To my knowledge, no Duke player has ever done it before. At least in the media guide, JJ Redick is he only one to ever have a qualifying season of 90% from the free throw line (though the minimum of 100 makes seems like a lot, not sure if that's standard). JJ never came close to shooting 50% from the field, though with his best mark at 47% and never shooting above 43% in a year in which he hit 90% from the foul line. Luke currently is shooting 52.2% from the field, 41.0% from 3 and 88.1% from the line, and at 37 makes through 10 games is indeed on pace to make 100 FTs if he bumps that up to 90%.

94duke
12-08-2016, 01:26 PM
men's bball media guides:
http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22748

MIKESJ73
12-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Who is the Duke player with the most wins? Just looking at the season by season records, it looks like the best 4 year period is Battier's class that won 133 games.

Amiles Career wins:

freshman - 30 games
sophomore - 26 games
junior year - 35 games
senior year - 8 games

99 wins going into this year...

SCMatt33
12-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Who is the Duke player with the most wins? Just looking at the season by season records, it looks like the best 4 year period is Battier's class that won 133 games.

Amiles Career wins:

freshman - 30 games
sophomore - 26 games
junior year - 35 games
senior year - 8 games

99 wins going into this year...

It is Battier, but he's only credited with 131 wins, as you must play in the game for it to count. Amile had a DNP in 4 games his freshman year, but one of those appears to have been a loss, meaning he started the year with 96 wins, 35 shy of Battier. He's also likely to break the record for games played, currently shared by Laettner and Singnler at 148. Amile began the year with 115 games played.

Hingeknocker
12-09-2016, 02:16 PM
It is Battier, but he's only credited with 131 wins, as you must play in the game for it to count. Amile had a DNP in 4 games his freshman year, but one of those appears to have been a loss, meaning he started the year with 96 wins, 35 shy of Battier. He's also likely to break the record for games played, currently shared by Laettner and Singnler at 148. Amile began the year with 115 games played.

I'm glad this was brought up, as I had been wondering about Amile's (redshirt-inflated) chances at breaking Battier's win total record, but information isn't easy to find online.

And is Battier the NCAA record-holder for win totals? For some reason I have it in my head that he's been referred to as the "winningest player in college basketball history" but I could be inventing that, and as I said I haven't been able to find anything about this record online.

elvis14
12-09-2016, 02:25 PM
This isn't directly related to statistics and double double's but has anyone else noticed that Amile is dunking the ball more? In the past it seemed as though he'd choose to lay up some balls that could have been thrown down. Then he'd miss one every now and then. The last couple of games it seems like someone worked with him on finishing stronger. Seems to me that he's jammin' a bit more. I'm happy about it too!

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-09-2016, 03:09 PM
This isn't directly related to statistics and double double's but has anyone else noticed that Amile is dunking the ball more? In the past it seemed as though he'd choose to lay up some balls that could have been thrown down. Then he'd miss one every now and then. The last couple of games it seems like someone worked with him on finishing stronger. Seems to me that he's jammin' a bit more. I'm happy about it too!
Yeah. I get the sense he has some real urgency about this year and it's coming through in his game. Which wouldn't be surprising since he got the gift of a 5th year... if you can call it that.

SCMatt33
12-09-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm glad this was brought up, as I had been wondering about Amile's (redshirt-inflated) chances at breaking Battier's win total record, but information isn't easy to find online.

And is Battier the NCAA record-holder for win totals? For some reason I have it in my head that he's been referred to as the "winningest player in college basketball history" but I could be inventing that, and as I said I haven't been able to find anything about this record online.

I couldn't find such a list in the NCAA record book, though Duke's media guide does claim that Battier's 131 is indeed an NCAA record. Also, The NCAA record for games played is pretty much unreachable at 157 by David Lighty. Amile technically could tie it, but it would require Duke to fall to a double digit seed in the ACC tourney, then go on a 2011 UConn type run of 5 wins in 5 days before proceeding to a NCAA title run.

rasputin
12-09-2016, 04:13 PM
I couldn't find such a list in the NCAA record book, though Duke's media guide does claim that Battier's 131 is indeed an NCAA record. Also, The NCAA record for games played is pretty much unreachable at 157 by David Lighty. Amile technically could tie it, but it would require Duke to fall to a double digit seed in the ACC tourney, then go on a 2011 UConn type run of 5 wins in 5 days before proceeding to a NCAA title run.

I misunderstood your post at first; normally, to "fall to" a double digit seed means you lose to them. In this context, you meant that we would play badly during the regular season such that we were a 10+ seed.

NSDukeFan
12-10-2016, 05:41 AM

I believe there is a UK guard who has a win or two more than Battier and Shane is second in all time wins. I don't have a link and am going from an unreliable memory.

SCMatt33
12-10-2016, 11:20 AM
I believe there is a UK guard who has a win or two more than Battier and Shane is second in all time wins. I don't have a link and am going from an unreliable memory.

So I tried looking it up. UK's media guide does not track individual wins, but there's only a couple of players who realistically played enough games in the right years to come close. It does appear that Wayne Turner played in the same number of wins as Battier. He played in 151 games from 96-99. The team did win 132 games in that stretch, but Turner's only DNP of his career was the 96 title game, at least based on game logs from bigbluehistory.net. Darius Miller did play all 152 games from 09-12, but the 09 NIT trip kept him from being very close, with only 124 wins. Jamal Magloire and Saul Smith both played over 140 games in the late 90's and early 2000's, but the lack of 30 win season after 98 means there's not enough wins there. Jared Prickett and Anthony Epps both played over 140 in the mid nineties, but there's not enough wins in Epps 4 years. Prickett did have a 5th season played like Amile, but his redshirt year was the 96 title year meaning that even if you maxed out his DNP's over his career with as many losses as possible, he still wouldn't reach 131, so I didn't bother with game logs. The other interesting case was Ralph Beard, who played in the late 40's. I guess the freshman ban wasn't in place yet because he played 4 years. The team, however, only won 130 games. He had 1 DNP, but it's moot given the team numbers. No one else played more than 136 games in UK history and I doubt anyone went a whole career with 5 or less losses.

So I suspect you were thinking of Turner, whose record Battier only tied at least if my numbers are correct.

NSDukeFan
12-10-2016, 12:23 PM
So I tried looking it up. UK's media guide does not track individual wins, but there's only a couple of players who realistically played enough games in the right years to come close. It does appear that Wayne Turner played in the same number of wins as Battier. He played in 151 games from 96-99. The team did win 132 games in that stretch, but Turner's only DNP of his career was the 96 title game, at least based on game logs from bigbluehistory.net. Darius Miller did play all 152 games from 09-12, but the 09 NIT trip kept him from being very close, with only 124 wins. Jamal Magloire and Saul Smith both played over 140 games in the late 90's and early 2000's, but the lack of 30 win season after 98 means there's not enough wins there. Jared Prickett and Anthony Epps both played over 140 in the mid nineties, but there's not enough wins in Epps 4 years. Prickett did have a 5th season played like Amile, but his redshirt year was the 96 title year meaning that even if you maxed out his DNP's over his career with as many losses as possible, he still wouldn't reach 131, so I didn't bother with game logs. The other interesting case was Ralph Beard, who played in the late 40's. I guess the freshman ban wasn't in place yet because he played 4 years. The team, however, only won 130 games. He had 1 DNP, but it's moot given the team numbers. No one else played more than 136 games in UK history and I doubt anyone went a whole career with 5 or less losses.

So I suspect you were thinking of Turner, whose record Battier only tied at least if my numbers are correct.
It was Turner I was thinking about.

BandAlum83
12-10-2016, 01:18 PM

David Lightly? According to his Wikipedia page, he did not see much playing time during his freshman year at Ohio State. He we injured in December of one year and was awarded a medical red shirt, so he did play a fifth year, but if he was little used as a freshman, how did replay in 157 games? I see nothing about him holding the record either.

Do you have a link, and was it clear he PLAYED in 157 games. If he was there for 7 games into december 2008, Ohio state played 157 games during which he would have at least been on the bench from 2006-2011. But I imagine he had DNPs during that period.

vick
12-10-2016, 01:25 PM
David Lightly? According to his Wikipedia page, he did not see much playing time during his freshman year at Ohio State. He we injured in December of one year and was awarded a medical red shirt, so he did play a fifth year, but if he was little used as a freshman, how did replay in 157 games? I see nothing about him holding the record either.

Do you have a link, and was it clear he PLAYED in 157 games. If he was there for 7 games into december 2008, Ohio state played 157 games during which he would have at least been on the bench from 2006-2011. But I imagine he had DNPs during that period.

Here are his stats from sports-reference (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/david-lighty-1.html), 157 games appears correct.

SCMatt33
12-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Here are his stats from sports-reference (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/david-lighty-1.html), 157 games appears correct.

Lighty does hold the record for games played, and it's not really close as no one else currently has more than 152. He does not have the wins record though, as OSU lost 29 games during his career in 07, 08, 10, and 11. He didn't play in any losses in 09.

BandAlum83
12-10-2016, 01:55 PM

Agreed. It appears he played in every game during that period. Impressive. His Wikipedia page could use some updating.

uh_no
12-11-2016, 11:59 AM
against unlv, amile had 10 and 12, bringing his totals to 115 boards and 166 points over 11 games, putting him 5 boards and 56 points ahead of the mark. With 20 games remaining, amile needs 195 (9.75) boards and 144 points (7.2). To hit 1000 for his career, he needs 137 points. Amile needs 242 more rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. The breakdown based on games remaining:

games
amile boards

This is also amile's sixth double double in eight games.

In other news, luke has yet to have an 0-fer from behind the arc this year, something he did 10 times last year.

Olympic Fan
12-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Just on addition to the all-time wins record ---

Kyle Singler is officially No. 2 on the Duke list with 125 wins.

But he has STARTED more wins than any player in NCAA history -- including Battier and Wayne Turner (who are tied with 131 overall wins).

Singler started in 124 of his 125 wins. The only one he missed was an early season game against UNC Asheville his sophomore season when K benched all five starters and started five reserves.

I can't find the research now, but I researched every player on the all-time win list with 124 wins or more and all of them came off the bench for a number of games. For instance, Battier came off the bench in 16 games as a freshman (when K was still trying to get Chris Burgess going) and in 10 games as a sophomore (although one of those was the Cincinnati loss).

uh_no
12-11-2016, 01:47 PM
But he has STARTED more wins than any player in NCAA history -- including Battier and Wayne Turner (who are tied with 131 overall wins).

Singler started in 124 of his 125 wins. The only one he missed was an early season game against UNC Asheville his sophomore season when K benched all five starters and started five reserves.

He had such an incredible career. I'm lucky my years as a student lined up with his. Not losing a single home game to a non-unc opponent in 4 years? And running the table the last two? That's just nuts.

uh_no
12-20-2016, 11:23 AM
against TS, amile had 5 and 18. If you had asked me before the game which stat would keep him from a DD, I'm not sure points would have been my guess. To some degree, he was his own worst enemy...going 1-8 from the line and only 2-7 from the floor, his second worst % since the first game vs marist. Rough. It was also the worst FT shooting night of his career when counting volume and accuracy. He still had a fantastic game, and we don't win that game without his 18 boards. One of my friends referred to it as "a man's line." At one point I think he was at 14 boards and 1 point. Workhorse.

Anyway, it brings his totals to 133 boards and 171 points over 12 games, putting him 13 boards and 51 points ahead of the mark. With 19 games remaining, amile needs 177 (9.3) boards and 139 points (7.3). To hit 1000 for his career, he needs 132 points. Amile needs 224 more rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. The breakdown based on games remaining:

games
amile boards

Also on the radar if Amile continues to put together these monster games: The duke season rebound record is 476. That leaves him 343 away. If we were to play 28 more games, that's only 12.25 boards a game....Long shot? Sure. Amile's RPG over the last 9 games? 12.55.

jv001
12-20-2016, 03:35 PM
against TS, amile had 5 and 18. If you had asked me before the game which stat would keep him from a DD, I'm not sure points would have been my guess. To some degree, he was his own worst enemy...going 1-8 from the line and only 2-7 from the floor, his second worst % since the first game vs marist. Rough. It was also the worst FT shooting night of his career when counting volume and accuracy. He still had a fantastic game, and we don't win that game without his 18 boards. One of my friends referred to it as "a man's line." At one point I think he was at 14 boards and 1 point. Workhorse.

Anyway, it brings his totals to 133 boards and 171 points over 12 games, putting him 13 boards and 51 points ahead of the mark. With 19 games remaining, amile needs 177 (9.3) boards and 139 points (7.3). To hit 1000 for his career, he needs 132 points. Amile needs 224 more rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. The breakdown based on games remaining:

games
amile boards

Also on the radar if Amile continues to put together these monster games: The duke season rebound record is 476. That leaves him 343 away. If we were to play 28 more games, that's only 12.25 boards a game...Long shot? Sure. Amile's RPG over the last 9 games? 12.55.

If Harry and Bolden get in a groove, they might take away some minutes from Amile. But that would be a good thing, even though I really like Amile, the teams the important thing. Amile's the "rock" for this years team. GoDuke!