PDA

View Full Version : RIP H Keith H

CrazyNotCrazie
12-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Very surreal that on the day Duke appoints its next president, a former president dies. I was only at Duke during the Nan era so I will defer to my elders to eulogize him.

https://today.duke.edu/2016/12/former-duke-university-president-keith-brodie-dies

cspan37421
12-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Brodie took the helm when I arrived on campus. He seemed like a decent fellow. Based on a quote I saw from him in the thread on Vincent Price, he was not particularly suited to the job of President. In fact, based on that quote, it's not clear to me why he was in university governance at all. Perhaps he was mutually respected by opposing factions. He did well enough in the role, but Duke was already on the national upswing by the close of Uncle Terry's presidency. [famously, "Hot College" on the cover of NYT Magazine].

Sad to hear of his passing ...

Sixthman
12-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Keith Brodie was a precocious and brilliant man with an exceptional basic decency in his world outlook and his relations with people. He was not the best president Duke ever had in the same way that not every player with his number hanging in the rafters at Cameron was as tough Hurley, as clutch as Laettner, or as complete as Battier. Duke is better for having been graced with his leadership.

yancem
12-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Wow, that hits a little close to home since I went to grade school with his son. I haven't talked to Cameron in over 30 years, I wish him and his family my deepest sympathies. Losing a parent is always very difficult.

BLPOG
12-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Maine post-game press conference with K (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ID=5810272)

I recommend watching it

-jk
12-03-2016, 10:33 PM
I mostly knew HKHB peripherally. My mom was a spook in his dept for years! She respected him and enjoyed his leadership. My occasional interactions were always fabulous.

A good man.

-jk

Deslok
12-04-2016, 01:10 AM
I always had fond memories of Brodie, who left Duke just before I did. Of course, my enduring memory of him was in an interview, him stating that "the continued use of Hanes Annex is an embarrassment to the University." While I was living in the Annex of course.

Indoor66
12-04-2016, 08:04 AM
I met Keith Brodie before he was inaugurated as President at Duke. I found him go be both interesting and interested. He was affable and inquisitive. Brenda was as delightful as Keith - a wonderful couple to be around.