PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Price to Replace Brodhead

CrazyNotCrazie
12-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Duke announced its new president - Vincent Price from Penn. He should be a real Thriller.

https://today.duke.edu/2016/12/presannouncement

Stray Gator
12-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Duke announced its new president - Vincent Price from Penn. He should be a real Thriller.

Who could be better qualified to lead a community of Devils? ;)

OldPhiKap
12-02-2016, 10:14 AM
No truth to the rumor that Elvira is going to be the new Dean of Student Affairs.

Lon Chaney would be a great head of public relations though. His hair is perfect.

uh_no
12-02-2016, 10:15 AM

apparently a "noted public opinion scholar"......

I suppose you can't do worse than the outgoing guy on that regard....

Indoor66
12-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Bela Lugosi for Provost.

Edouble
12-02-2016, 10:19 AM
So, can we expect Coach K to entertain a $15 million dollar contract offer from the Cavs following the 2017 NBA Draft?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Will all our games become Thrillers now?

luvdahops
12-02-2016, 10:57 AM
No truth to the rumor that Elvira is going to be the new Dean of Student Affairs.

Lon Chaney would be a great head of public relations though. His hair is perfect.

Is there a Trader Vic's in Durham?

killerleft
12-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Break out a cask of Amontillado.

mgtr
12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
He is real fly! ;)

FadedTackyShirt
12-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Product of my era, but always call the President's seats the Nan seats. The Fuqua seats (center court right on the rail) kick the crap out of three point line a few rows back even on an aisle. Palestra's a pretty sweet gym, if Vinny were a baller he'd have held out for a CIS seating upgrade.

DukeFanSince1990
12-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Read title to post, assumed what I would find in the comments, was not disappointed. :)

CrazyNotCrazie
12-02-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm just hoping that the Price is right. The all-time Duke Price team of Ricky, Reynolds and now Vincent is getting pretty formidable.

Faustus
12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
It's the labradoodle bit at the very end of the piece that I'm a little concerned about.

luvdahops
12-02-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing he's quite an Egghead, too...

budwom
12-02-2016, 11:41 AM
It's the labradoodle bit at the very end of the piece that I'm a little concerned about.

me too, I'm no fan of doodles (labs, on the other hand)...

oakvillebluedevil
12-02-2016, 12:00 PM
*Opens thread*

*Confused by jokes, consults Wikipedia*

*Shakes head, closes thread, goes back to being an uncultured millennial*

:cool:

niveklaen
12-02-2016, 12:23 PM
*Opens thread*

OMG - you have never seen a better 3pt shooter at Duke than Matt Jones - people talking about JJ and Langdon are just old fogies who don't understand that pops could never hang with today's players - I almost want to cry

oakvillebluedevil
12-02-2016, 12:36 PM
OMG - you have never seen a better 3pt shooter at Duke than Matt Jones - people talking about JJ and Langdon are just old fogies who don't understand that pops could never hang with today's players - I almost want to cry

Did Langdon play after they cut the bottoms out of the peach baskets, or before? :D

Just to defend myself a little bit, I'm very fluent in knowledge back through the 98 team (including watching every game JJ played and youtube highlights at least 2x / week to this day), and pretty competent for all of K's time.

Before K, though, I fully admit I rely on and genuinely enjoy the wisdom of the folks around here to keep me honest.

Cold War era actors, though? Waaaayyyy over my head.

brevity
12-02-2016, 12:41 PM
The Twitter account for the estate of the other Vincent Price responds:

Vincent Price @MasterofMenace (https://mobile.twitter.com/MasterofMenace/status/804721334915911682)

This gives new meaning to the idea of reincarnation!! Vincent Price is honored to be given such a prestigious... http://fb.me/3eP2zUedU

8:18 AM - 2 Dec 2016

weezie
12-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Will all our games become Thrillers now?

He was AWESOME on that track.

aimo
12-02-2016, 12:49 PM
*Opens thread*

Wow. You probably shouldn't have admitted that. At the very least you know him from the Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii episodes.

CameronBlue
12-02-2016, 12:56 PM
He was AWESOME on that track.

I would TRIPLE my annual gift to Duke TIP if at every public appearance Price was introduced with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBR8knRM2w

chris13
12-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Wow. You probably shouldn't have admitted that. At the very least you know him from the Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii episodes.

How is a millenial going to know a show that went off the air in 1974? I must be missing something.

I have an unrelated question. Reading the biography Duke picked the kind of person I expect they would pick, an administrator one level below the President (provost in this case) from a peer institution (Penn). I wonder if Duke, or a similar instituation, would ever pick a former public official, similar to Terry Sanford back in the day. In other words, would there be any value in making an unconventional (non-academic) pick? To be clear, I know nothing about academic governance, especially of a place as large and multi-faceted as Duke. Since I live in Durham, I hope Price is great AND he continues what has been in my view, an much improved relationship between Duke and Durham during the last decade.

weezie
12-02-2016, 01:32 PM
... I have an unrelated question...

No sir! You actually have a highly related question. I'm afraid some of us might have the Friday yippees today...

FadedTackyShirt
12-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Sucks that Liberace won't be coming to Duke. K knows what he's doing in choosing VP. Dun over Casey J worked out OK.

IsInTheDetails
12-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Duke's new president rhymed his intro of Lin-Manuel Miranda at Penn's 2016 commencement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLv-ao5Za-Q

I'm sold. Did we even need to ask for a resume or interview?

BigWayne
12-02-2016, 02:42 PM
In other words, would there be any value in making an unconventional (non-academic) pick?

There would be enormous value in making a non-academic pick. Universities, especially the "elite" ones are clinging to a model that keeps prices high and protects the jobs of the professors and administrators. Traditional residential universities are about the only place left in our society that has failed to take advantage of the productivity of the internet to flatten or reduce costs. Hiring a president that comes from a place that has moved into the 21st century in terms of business and technology would be a breath of fresh air.

hallcity
12-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Just got a tweet saying that former Duke President Keith Brodie has died. He was Duke President in 1995. Brodie was a physician -- actually a very prominent psychiatrist. We'll never know the story of exactly what happened that season. We shouldn't unless Coach K eventually decides to write about it. I expect Brodie knew.

cspan37421
12-02-2016, 02:52 PM
"... the Actor? Then who's vice-president? Jerry Lewis?"

- Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future

Tripping William
12-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Just got a tweet saying that former Duke President Keith Brodie has died. He was Duke President in 1995. Brodie was a physician -- actually a very prominent psychiatrist. We'll never know the story of exactly what happened that season. We shouldn't unless Coach K eventually decides to write about it. I expect Brodie knew.

Brodie's tenure ended in 1993. He was replaced by Nan Keohane that year, my first year on campus. Keohane was president for the 1994-95 season to which you make reference.

luvdahops
12-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Brodie's tenure ended in 1993. He was replaced by Nan Keohane that year, my first year on campus. Keohane was president for the 1994-95 season to which you make reference.

Pretty sure Brodie remained on the faculty and the staff at Duke Hospital

Tripping William
12-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Pretty sure Brodie remained on the faculty and the staff at Duke Hospital

May well be true. My only quibble was with the sentence: "He was Duke President in 1995."

luvdahops
12-02-2016, 03:05 PM
May well be true. My only quibble was with the sentence: "He was Duke President in 1995."

Fair enough. So we are both right!

Indoor66
12-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Fair enough. So we are both right!

Not exactly. You were partially correct and partially incorrect.

orrnot
12-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Product of my era, but always call the President's seats the Nan seats. The Fuqua seats (center court right on the rail) kick the crap out of three point line a few rows back even on an aisle. Palestra's a pretty sweet gym, if Vinny were a baller he'd have held out for a CIS seating upgrade.

The Keohead seats are also on the rail.

To my recollection, the HKH Brodie seats were in an analogous position one section closer to the Duke Bench. The Brodies attended games well after his tenure as president and may still own those tickets.

Mike Corey
12-02-2016, 05:29 PM
So, can we expect Coach K to entertain a $15 million dollar contract offer from the Cavs following the 2017 NBA Draft?

http://cdn.niketalk.com/e/ec/900x900px-LL-ecfdcdf7_ZwiqF.gif

Mike Corey
12-02-2016, 05:40 PM
On a serious note, if any of you would like to reach out to the Brodie family directly, just let me know.

President Brodie was featured in Towerview Magazine during my brief tenure as its editor. This piece (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2004/12/lost-transition), by Matt Sullivan--who has continued his career in journalism--was always special to me.

Matt was the most gifted writer I encountered at Duke, and he grew tremendously from the time he arrived in Durham to the time he graduated.

Edit: I see that only part of the article appears online. Have reached out to The Chronicle to address this.

rocketeli
12-02-2016, 07:52 PM

A lot of people know. And since Mickie K (Coach K's wife) came out in a ESPN article a couple of years ago and stated K was depressed and suicidal I guess it's not a "hippa" violation to talk about it. It is an outrage that even in this day and age mental health issues are considered so shameful that no one in the media had any response...

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread of jokes about the new Duke president and a deceased actor sharing the same name.

YmoBeThere
12-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Brodie's last act as President should have been to preside over the graduation of the Class of 1993. Unfortunately, he was not well and was not able to attend.

lotusland
12-03-2016, 09:09 AM

The very idea that The Brady Bunch was the highlight of Vincent Price's TV career is way off base:

https://youtu.be/RUfNBHigR90

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-03-2016, 11:38 AM
*Opens thread*

I give you sporks for admitting something so dastardly.

duke79
12-03-2016, 02:15 PM
How is a millenial going to know a show that went off the air in 1974? I must be missing something.

I have an unrelated question. Reading the biography Duke picked the kind of person I expect they would pick, an administrator one level below the President (provost in this case) from a peer institution (Penn). I wonder if Duke, or a similar instituation, would ever pick a former public official, similar to Terry Sanford back in the day. In other words, would there be any value in making an unconventional (non-academic) pick? To be clear, I know nothing about academic governance, especially of a place as large and multi-faceted as Duke. Since I live in Durham, I hope Price is great AND he continues what has been in my view, an much improved relationship between Duke and Durham during the last decade.

Interesting question (highlighted). My guess is that, in today's world, almost any major research university (whether private or public) would be hesitant to appoint someone to the presidency who does not have, at least, significant administrative experience at a similar large university (or at a college). I'm not familiar with the talent pool for jobs like the Duke presidency (or other similar institutions) but I would guess that it is hard to find someone who has significant experience both in academia AND in the private sector (or at high government levels). One of the few that I'm familiar with is Condoleeza Rice who has a Ph.D. in Political Science, taught and was the Provost at Stanford, and then served as National Security Advisor and Secretary of State for George W. Bush, and is now back teaching at Stanford (I was wondering if Duke considered Secretary Rice for the presidency? It seems like she could have brought a lot to the table).

But I think it would be good to have someone with experience and knowledge outside of the academic environment run a college or university. I worry that many institutions of higher learning have become very insular places.

Based on what I have read and seen (I watched some of videos on Youtube from his first day at Duke after the announcement), Dr. Price seems like a very solid choice for the presidency. He's a very good public speaker (for what that is worth) and seems to say all the right things. Let's hope he leads Duke to bigger and greater goals!

FadedTackyShirt
12-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Larry Summers had a mixed record at Harvard after a stint in government. Harvard picked Drew Gilpin Faust from Penn to clean up some of Summers' baggage.

Don't think it was calculated, but Stanford founded the Hoover Institute think tank at a time when CA was much more conservative. Hoover Institute gives them an advantage in attracting former GOP types (Rice, George Schultz) post-government service.

Mitch Daniels is very well regarded at Purdue.

dukelifer
12-03-2016, 03:48 PM

The coaches at Penn make considerably less than the President. She makes over 3.5M. If he has demanded more than K that would be over 7.5M.

sagegrouse
12-03-2016, 03:54 PM
But I think it would be good to have someone with experience and knowledge outside of the academic environment run a college or university. I worry that many institutions of higher learning have become very insular places. Well,... it's really tough to come in as a college president without some background in academia. When Gen. Eisenhower became president of Columbia, he referred to the faculty as "employees of Columbia University," which brought the retort from a senior professor, "We are Columbia University."

I understand how Mitch Daniels and David Boren, both former governors, could succeed at Purdue and Oklahoma. Large private universities are different, not dependent (much) on state legislatures and not having to deal with home-state athletic boosters with lots of money and political influence.

I know there must be examples in the last few decades of non-academics successfully running prestidigitation private universities, but the only one that comes to mind is Terry Sanford. When he became President in 1969, it was during the height of the Vietnam War protests on campus, linked (I don't mean to be unkind) to the end of automatic student deferments from military service. Every single private university president resigned during that era, except Kingman Brewster at Yale, who actually joined the protestors.

Sanford was an inspired choice for the times because of his political skills, which were then a paramount consideration.

Here are the resignation dates for presidents at elite private universities during the Vietnam War.
Perkins at Cornell in 1969
Knight at Duke in 1969
Sterling at Stanford in 1968 and Pitzer in 1970 (a twofer!)
Pusey at Harvard in 1971
Harnwell at UPenn in 1970
Heffner at Brown in 1969
Kirk at Columbia in 1968 and Cordier in 1970 (another twofer!)
Dickey at Dartmouth in 1970
Goheen at Princeton in 1972

Brewster at Yale lasted until 1977.

dukelifer
12-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Well,... it's really tough to come in as a college president without some background in academia. When Gen. Eisenhower became president of Columbia, he referred to the faculty as "employees of Columbia University," which brought the retort from a senior professor, "We are Columbia University."

I understand how Mitch Daniels and David Boren, both former governors, could succeed at Purdue and Oklahoma. Large private universities are different, not dependent (much) on state legislatures and not having to deal with home-state athletic boosters with lots of money and political influence.

I know there must be examples in the last few decades of non-academics successfully running prestidigitation private universities, but the only one that comes to mind is Terry Sanford. When he became President in 1969, it was during the height of the Vietnam War protests on campus, linked (I don't mean to be unkind) to the end of automatic student deferments from military service. Every single private university president resigned during that era, except Kingman Brewster at Yale, who actually joined the protestors.

Sanford was an inspired choice for the times because of his political skills, which were then a paramount consideration.

Here are the resignation dates for presidents at elite private universities during the Vietnam War.
Perkins at Cornell in 1969
Knight at Duke in 1969
Sterling at Stanford in 1968 and Pitzer in 1970 (a twofer!)
Pusey at Harvard in 1971
Harnwell at UPenn in 1970
Heffner at Brown in 1969
Kirk at Columbia in 1968 and Cordier in 1970 (another twofer!)
Dickey at Dartmouth in 1970
Goheen at Princeton in 1972

Brewster at Yale lasted until 1977.

Next Duke Capital Campaign " Make Duke Great Again"

aimo
12-04-2016, 12:57 PM
The very idea that The Brady Bunch was the highlight of Vincent Price's TV career is way off base:

https://youtu.be/RUfNBHigR90

Geez! Have you people never heard of sarcasm?!? I guess since I didn't use an emoji you have no idea I wasn't serious.