PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Maine (Saturday 12/3 5:30 pm, ESPN2), Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
12-02-2016, 04:54 AM
Discuss the game here.

bob blue devil
12-02-2016, 06:07 AM
so why do we schedule maine anyway? they're one of the worst team's in d1 and haven't fielded a respectable team in recent history - i just don't see how playing such an incredibly over-matched opponent is useful for our guys at this point. surely scheduling a team that is perennially top 200, which is still an easy win, would have been more productive for the team, right?

subzero02
12-02-2016, 06:51 AM
#1 vs. #340 according to Kenpom...

dukelifer
12-02-2016, 06:58 AM
so why do we schedule maine anyway? they're one of the worst team's in d1 and haven't fielded a respectable team in recent history - i just don't see how playing such an incredibly over-matched opponent is useful for our guys at this point. surely scheduling a team that is perennially top 200, which is still an easy win, would have been more productive for the team, right?

For a team with just a few guys- this is a glorified practice at the end of the semester before exams. Until this team is healthy-not sure what we will learn from any game.

arnie
12-02-2016, 06:59 AM
Discuss the game here.

Any hint if all 3 are out for this one?

jv001
12-02-2016, 07:17 AM

I don't know why we scheduled Maine, but I'm glad we did. Playing another big time program right now is not what our 6 man rotation needs. We need a Maine, so that Vrank, Javin and Jack can give the starters some rest. It also gives those 3 players more experience. GoDuke!

richardjackson199
12-02-2016, 07:25 AM

No clue. But Al Featherston's article on the front page was extremely optimistic that they will return sometime in December. He said he would bet serious money. We have been hearing that they're getting better and getting close for a while now.

If and when they are better, I hope they play against Maine if they are healthy. Of course we'll beat Maine with or without them. But I think we will need more than our core 6 guys against Florida on Tuesday. So I want them to start getting incorporated now if they are ready. Florida is really good and is nationally ranked. I watched them against Miami, and Florida was clearly the best team on the floor by far. They have some great players. Miami played as hard as they could, but they had no shot. Florida's only loss is by 5 points to a very good Gonzaga team. I thought Florida looked significantly better than Rhode Island and Michigan State. That is by far the scariest game on our schedule before conference, and it could be a trap. It's neutral court in NY, so we won't have the Crazies support we had against the Spartans.

I'd really love to beat Florida, and probably go into conference play with only 1 loss. That positions us as well as possible to eventually earn a 1 seed, even with an extremely difficult ACC schedule. Like I said, I expect Kentucky and Nova to lock up two 1 seeds. Duke will be competing with Kansas (who beat us), UNC, UVA, Louisville, Xavier, Gonzaga, Baylor, Indiana, Louisville, and Arizona for the 2 others. (You can quibble with that list - I have no clue how the season will play out and who will vie for 1 seeds in March. But you can bet there will be several deserving teams who have an argument).

I know others disagree, and I respect their opinion. But I think nonconference Wins and Losses, even in December can also be a very important factor if a tough call has to be made on who gets the 1 seed. Conference play is more important of course, but all games matter for body of work. I want to beat Florida. And I want to see all our freshmen start getting comfortable on the floor and in our system as soon as they're healthy and ready. I hope that's soon, because I think we may need them to beat Florida.

Saratoga2
12-02-2016, 07:41 AM

As is the usual case for coach K, you will know when the game starts.

bob blue devil
12-02-2016, 08:08 AM
I don't know why we scheduled Maine, but I'm glad we did. Playing another big time program right now is not what our 6 man rotation needs. We need a Maine, so that Vrank, Javin and Jack can give the starters some rest. It also gives those 3 players more experience. GoDuke!

This is a false dichotomy - we can play a better team than Maine without it being a big time program/tough matchup. Maine is gawd awful and a waste of everyone's time.

flyingdutchdevil
12-02-2016, 08:42 AM
This is a false dichotomy - we can play a better team than Maine without it being a big time program/tough matchup. Maine is gawd awful and a waste of everyone's time.

While I completely agree with you that playing Maine does absolutely nothing to gauge our strength, any playing time a) improves chemistry, b) allows Coach K to tinker, and c) allows us fans to watch. Would playing a team ranked between 200-100 be better? Absolutely! But I don't really care either way. It's at Cameron. It's against inferior competition. We'll murder them.

Also, I really hope this is the perfect platform to launch at least one of the 3 amigos's Duke career.

flyingdutchdevil
12-02-2016, 12:03 PM
As per ESPN: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18183686/maine-black-bears-rainbow-themed-warm-ups-vs-duke-blue-devils-protest-controversial-hb2-law

Obviously, they are protesting HB2

I wish Duke would do this as well (White, Coach K have already come out against HB2)

budwom
12-02-2016, 12:19 PM
We are giving Maine a shot to lose to Blue Devils twice in one week, which has to tie a record at least...they lost to the tough Central Connecticut Blue Devils a few days ago by 21 pts.

Nice game to possibly integrate one of the Milk Carton Three.

FWIW, I think we'll see all of them within the next three weeks.

Kfanarmy
12-02-2016, 12:56 PM
As per ESPN: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18183686/maine-black-bears-rainbow-themed-warm-ups-vs-duke-blue-devils-protest-controversial-hb2-law

I wish Duke would do this as well (White, Coach K have already come out against HB2)

While I appreciate your right to an opinion, I'm not sure it is relevant or within the bounds of the discussion.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I remember the Maine. I'm not quite sure why though.

kmspeaks
12-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Because it's such a terrible game and people don't want to go so a friend of a friend gave my dad her tickets and I will get to see my first game in Cameron. Good enough for me ;)

flyingdutchdevil
12-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Because it's such a terrible game and people don't want to go so a friend of a friend gave my dad her tickets and I will get to see my first game in Cameron. Good enough for me ;)

Best. Response. Ever.

Dukehky
12-02-2016, 01:55 PM
I think it's positive that we haven't heard that the 3 are out already. I think we see Tatum for at least a couple minutes at the very least.

I love referring to them as the 3. It's like "The 9" in Lord of the Rings. It's just so ominous. I wish that when they come in the game for the first time together they played that theme song, and maybe have someone shut off all the lights. Like hey, College Basketball, the evil empire is back.

That'd be awesome.

I like the rainbow shirts, but I think it should be a player decision, not a K and Kevin White call if Duke were to do this.

I'm not sure all of our players would be totally in favor of that, and for Duke to force that, would be a really bad look. Then you also have the possibility of singling out a player for not wearing a rainbow shirt, for whatever reason (maybe he doesn't think it goes with his hair, or his shoes).

Lets not begrudge Duke for not trying to use their 18-22 year old stars to push the ideals of those in power. K and White said what they wanted to say. If they want to do something for themselves, perfect. If the players wanted to do something to state their opinions, awesome, but I don't think making, or even asking the basketball team to make some kind of statement is necessarily a great idea (even though I'd be fired up if my boy HG3 came out with a recycled Charlotte All-Star Game shirt)

BandAlum83
12-02-2016, 02:05 PM

Well if their team won't get them any attention, at least their wardrobe will!

BandAlum83
12-02-2016, 02:08 PM
I think it's positive that we haven't heard that the 3 are out already. I think we see Tatum for at least a couple minutes at the very least.

I love referring to them as the 3. It's like "The 9" in Lord of the Rings. It's just so ominous. I wish that when they come in the game for the first time together they played that theme song, and maybe have someone shut off all the lights. Like hey, College Basketball, the evil empire is back.

That'd be awesome.

I like the rainbow shirts, but I think it should be a player decision, not a K and Kevin White call if Duke were to do this.

I'm not sure all of our players would be totally in favor of that, and for Duke to force that, would be a really bad look. Then you also have the possibility of singling out a player for not wearing a rainbow shirt, for whatever reason (maybe he doesn't think it goes with his hair, or his shoes).

Lets not begrudge Duke for not trying to use their 18-22 year old stars to push the ideals of those in power. K and White said what they wanted to say. If they want to do something for themselves, perfect. If the players wanted to do something to state their opinions, awesome, but I don't think making, or even asking the basketball team to make some kind of statement is necessarily a great idea (even though I'd be fired up if my boy HG3 came out with a recycled Charlotte All-Star Game shirt)

Ahhh...but the 3 will play like "The 300"6921

subzero02
12-02-2016, 02:45 PM

That'd be awesome.

K should wait until the first TV timeout and sub all 3 in at the same time... after naming each of the 3 individually, the game announcer should state "Now witness the fire power of this fully armed and operational battle station..."

devildeac
12-02-2016, 05:03 PM

Maybe they're bringing good beer :o :rolleyes: .

http://www.mainebeercompany.com/age.php

Oops, I did it again...

NSDukeFan
12-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Maybe they're bringing good beer :o :rolleyes: .

http://www.mainebeercompany.com/age.php

Oops, I did it again...

Really like that place. Sorry, wrong thread and wrong board.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Oops, I did it again...

Doesn't that belong on the "my favorite rock songs" thread?

NSDukeFan

That'd be awesome.

K should wait until the first TV timeout and sub all 3 in at the same time... after naming each of the 3 individually, the game announcer should state "Now witness the fire power of this fully armed and operational battle station..."

It's more awesome if The Imperial March is playing. If any of Harry, Jayson and/or Marques play it's awesome.

devildeac
Really like that place. Sorry, wrong thread and wrong board.

You know where to join us for some good beer discussions/reviews...

;)

devildeac
12-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Nice catch there.

One quibble: rock songs

:p

gam7
12-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Ahhh...but the 3 will play like "The 300"6921

Who knows, but we already beat the Spartans without them!

OldPhiKap
12-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Nice catch there.

That song defies pigeon-holing. It's jazzraprockablues.

BluDvlsN1
12-02-2016, 05:46 PM

OPK, can't spork you, but that cracks me up..

Krzyzewskiville33
12-03-2016, 09:46 AM
I thought it was strange as well to find Maine on the schedule this year. The only potential explanation I could come up with would be that Coach McCallie coached at Maine for awhile in the 90's so maybe she pulled some strings to get the Maine team a game in Cameron.

uh_no
12-03-2016, 10:21 AM
I thought it was strange as well to find Maine on the schedule this year. The only potential explanation I could come up with would be that Coach McCallie coached at Maine for awhile in the 90's so maybe she pulled some strings to get the Maine team a game in Cameron.

eh. we came off a brutal stretch, exams are coming up, and the ACC is murderer's row again. makes sense to get whatever patsies we can in.....and why WOULDN'T maine come? they get dough, they get to play in cameron...

gurufrisbee
12-03-2016, 11:39 AM
they get to wear their fancy warm up shirts...

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2016, 12:25 PM
they get to wear their fancy warm up shirts...

Awesome rainbow shirts. Go rainbows!!!!

BandAlum83
12-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Rock songs? Really? Lol

Maybe "my favorite pop songs". I would hardly call it rock, but Brit could rock a lot of cute/sexy costumes...

Just sayin'

hudlow
12-03-2016, 01:04 PM
That song defies pigeon-holing. It's jazzraprockablues.

I thought that's what "Americana" was for - the genre for those that make up their own genre...

Edouble
12-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Rock songs? Really? Lol

Maybe "my favorite pop songs". I would hardly call it rock, but Brit could rock a lot of cute/sexy costumes...

Just sayin'

Nice catch there.

Neil Diamond made the list, so the definition of "rock" on that thread is pretty loose.

Indoor66
12-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Awesome rainbow shirts. Go rainbows!!!!

Except they are the Black Bears.

burnspbesq
12-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Only if you're talking about the Richard Thompson cover version.

jimsumner
12-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Only if you're talking about the Richard Thompson cover version.

A Richard Thompson reference on DBR!!!

Be still, my beating heart.

budwom
12-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Duke brings in various chum teams in December....wasn't that long ago Vermont was brought in as sacrificial lambs, and they really should have won that game....not gonna happen with Maine, though.

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Duke brings in various chum teams in December...wasn't that long ago Vermont was brought in as sacrificial lambs, and they really should have won that game...not gonna happen with Maine, though.

Worst win in modern Duke history. Yeah- I'm expecting Jack White to play 15 min today.

MCFinARL
12-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Except they are the Black Bears.

Yes--but today, in the State of North Carolina, they will be the Black Bears wearing rainbow shirts.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Yes--but today, in the State of North Carolina, they will be the Black Bears wearing rainbow shirts.

Phhhht. Tourist bears are the worst bears.

MChambers
12-03-2016, 03:49 PM
A Richard Thompson reference on DBR!!!

Be still, my beating heart.

You're listening to the wrong heartbeat.

SCMatt33
12-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Duke brings in various chum teams in December...wasn't that long ago Vermont was brought in as sacrificial lambs, and they really should have won that game...not gonna happen with Maine, though.

Just for the record, Vermont entered that game ranked 196 in KenPom and ended the year ranked 75. Maine is currently 339. It's tough to look at all opponents ranking at the time of games, because that stat is only available from the opponents team page (and not available at all prior to 2010-11) and not Duke's meaning you'd have to look at all opponent team pages, but among teams who ended the year outside the top 300, Bryant has the best performance in Cameron, losing by 38. It's should be noted they were in the mid 200's at the time of the game though. 2 years ago, Furman lost by 39 and they were both outside the top 300 at the time of the game and at the end of the year. Among games outside of Cameron, Princeton kept the margin to 22 in the first round of the 2007 Maui Invitational.

That's a real long winded way of saying that unless Maine is severely underrated and they're about to shoot up the rankings, it would be unfair to even compare them to Vermont 2013-14.

TKG
12-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Bear's Choice....

uh_no
12-03-2016, 04:25 PM
president elect price is purported to be coming tonight. there is a wreath on president Brodie's seat and there will be a moment of silence pregame

Native
12-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I have it on good authority that Tatum will make his return in today's game.

vick
12-03-2016, 04:45 PM

Sounds like it. (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/805165351721926656)

CDu
12-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Oh heck yeah! One in, two to go!

Native
12-03-2016, 04:47 PM

...aaaaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite. Very interesting, as his injury seemed to me to be the most mysterious of the three.

I'm hopeful we can rest Grayson a little more than normal tonight.

Ian
12-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Didn't K say of the three Tatum was the fartherest from coming back?

Maybe this means the other 2 is back too?

tbyers11
12-03-2016, 04:55 PM
...aaaaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite. Very interesting, as his injury seemed to me to be the most mysterious of the three.

I'm hopeful we can rest Grayson a little more than normal tonight.

Really? We knew had a foot sprain with estimated 2 week timeline originally and that he had a set back before the Marist game.

I knew nothing about Bolden's injury beyond 1) it is his lower leg, 2) it was originally described as rest, 3) he is making progress. That definitely gets my most mysterious vote.

That being said glad that Tatum is back and hope that Bolden and Giles follow in short order.

dukelifer
12-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Really? We knew had a foot sprain with estimated 2 week timeline originally and that he had a set back before the Marist game.

I knew nothing about Bolden's injury beyond 1) it is his lower leg, 2) it was originally described as rest, 3) he is making progress. That definitely gets my most mysterious vote.

That being said glad that Tatum is back and hope that Bolden and Giles follow in short order.

I heard that because Maine is not that good and the other guys have overloaded their minutes- only Tatum, Bolden and Giles will play - 3 against 5. Probably just a rumor.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I heard Grayson Allen's leg fell off overnight, but he will be playing. Coach staff lists him at 60%.

accfanfrom1970
12-03-2016, 05:07 PM
No Grayson or Jackson in warm ups...?

TKG
I heard that because Maine is not that good and the other guys have overloaded their minutes- only Tatum, Bolden and Giles will play - 3 against 5. Probably just a rumor.

Don't forget the guys in the striped shirts are on our side as well! That will make things a little more even. Just ask our critics.

flyingdutchdevil
Oh heck yeah! One in, two to go!

Upside: this is amazing news!

Downside: no more 3 amigos. We need a new nickname ;)

riverside6
12-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Maine, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/maine-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-12032016

Troublemaker
12-03-2016, 05:15 PM

Per radio, Grayson and Frank will not play.

So, yeah, Jayson's return is huge also because he's allowing us to rest some other banged up guys. And Maine being awful is huge, too. Here's the value of a sub-300 opponent.

juise
12-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Duke Basketball social media has Matt/Luke/Jason/Amile/Chase starting.

fisheyes
12-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Any chat tonight?

dukelifer
12-03-2016, 05:30 PM

So, yeah, Jayson's return is huge also because he's allowing us to rest some other banged up guys. And Maine being awful is huge, too. Here's the value of a sub-300 opponent.

Jackson? Hmmm. This season is getting stranger and stranger.

53n206
12-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Tatum to start!

tbyers11
12-03-2016, 05:36 PM

With Tatum back, Grayson makes sense. Rest him here, play against Florida on Tuesday and then rest until at least the 19th.

Jackson, no idea.

subzero02
12-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Wasn't it last week when K said that Giles was the closest to being ready to play?

53n206
12-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Bolden too!

YmoBeThere
12-03-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm beginning to think Coach K may have picked up a thing or two from Popovich this summer.

mike88
12-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Maine's own Bootsy Er

fuse
12-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Anyone know what shoes Tatum is wearing?
Looked like neon green soles.

Bob Green
12-03-2016, 06:27 PM
It appeared Jayson Tatum was pressing a bit early then he settled in to the game flow. Eight points and seven rebounds at the half. It is easy to see what all the hype is about.

Amile Jefferson with 11 points and five rebounds is on his way to his fifth straight double-double.

Luke Kennard was a scoring machine out there. The 3 PT FG to end the half was nice.

arnie
12-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Maine's own Bootsy Er

Kinda glad the guy's having game of his life - forces us to play the 2nd half.

rsvman
12-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Why are we wearing black ribbons on our uniforms?

ipatent
12-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Tatum is the missing piece, hope it was just cramps.

rocketeli
12-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Why are we wearing black ribbons on our uniforms?

H Keith H Brodie

subzero02
12-03-2016, 07:12 PM
I really think that it was cramps that took Tatum out.... he looked good pretty good out there.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Looked like cramp in his right calf. Painful, but not serious.