PDA

View Full Version : 2016 College Football Coaching Carousel

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Didn't see a thread on this yet, but it's been an interesting, if slower, year for sure. This thread will be on fire next year, I think, but in the meantime, here is where we stand:

Texas - Strong out, Herman in
LSU - Miles out, Orgeron in
Houston - Herman out, ????
Oregon - Helfrich out, ????
Baylor - Briles/Grobe out, ????
Purdue - Hazell out, ????
FAU - Partridge out, ????

Missing any?

Oregon and Baylor are intriguing. I'd argue Baylor should take a year or two off, but that won't happen. They need to make a Charlie Strong like hire from a character perspective. Tilman Fertitta, Houston's big booster, after whining about the ethics of Herman leaving openly considered whether UH should bring Briles back. Wow.

Oregon will look at Harsin, Frost, and maybe Fleck. Fleck may stick around this year if he can't get Oregon. There will be a TON of openings next year (the whole of the SEC other than Alabama, Florida, and probably South Carolina and Georgia, may be on the hot seat). Purdue is a dead-end job unless you get a great offensive mind in there (Leach, Tiller, Mumme, Briles) to scheme some 8-4/9-3 seasons. I don't think Fleck is that.

I hope that Charlie Strong can grab a spot at FAU or UCF if Frost goes to Oregon. He will be successful again despite his failure at UT. I think he knows how to win, he just needs to get better experience at how to run a program and manage a game as THE guy. He has deep ties in Florida and can be successful there, I think, allowing an upgrade a few years down the line.

sagegrouse
12-01-2016, 11:17 AM
What was Helfrich's record at Oregon? 34-16, I believe. There must be a lot more to the story than just one 4-8 year. Failure to recruit, maybe. I hear he's a good guy and everyone likes him in Eugene.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-01-2016, 11:53 AM
What was Helfrich's record at Oregon? 34-16, I believe. There must be a lot more to the story than just one 4-8 year. Failure to recruit, maybe. I hear he's a good guy and everyone likes him in Eugene.

I believe the feeling was that Helfrich had his early success by using Kelly's scheme and players. He did a poor job recruiting and now that it is almost only his recruits, things are going down hill. He apparently has an $11+ million buyout (that's a lot of Nikes) so I don't feel too bad for him.

Brian Kelly of Notre Dame is apparently on a very short leash but I think the administration there has wisely realized that they need to be 100% sure they can find a better option before getting rid of him.

Bob Green
12-01-2016, 12:02 PM
A couple of comments citing my normal source - Sports Radio Talking Heads:

1. The issue at Oregon is poor recruiting, specifically poor results with quarterback recruits.
2. Larry Fedora is one of multiple names being thrown around as in the running for the Baylor job.

JasonEvans
12-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Helfrich apparently has an $11+ million buyout (that's a lot of Nikes) so I don't feel too bad for him.

Phil Knight is worth... wait for it... $23.7 billion.

The word in the sports world is that he is willing to foot the bill for a $10 mil coach for Oregon football. I'm betting they end up hiring someone none of us thought was possible.

Nick Saban ain't leaving Alabama, but I'm not sure anyone else is off the table for Oregon. Urban Meyer is the 2nd highest paid coach in college football at $6.5 mil per season. Would he leave Ohio State for $10 mil a year at Oregon?

-Jason "Knight won't let Oregon football hire anyone but a superstar, I suspect... though he does not have a direct line to the AD office the way he did when he installed Pat Kilkenny in the job" Evans

Troublemaker
12-01-2016, 12:21 PM

The word in the sports world is that he is willing to foot the bill for a $10 mil coach for Oregon football. I'm betting they end up hiring someone none of us thought was possible.

Nick Saban ain't leaving Alabama, but I'm not sure anyone else is off the table for Oregon. Urban Meyer is the 2nd highest paid coach in college football at $6.5 mil per season. Would he leave Ohio State for $10 mil a year at Oregon?

-Jason "Knight won't let Oregon football hire anyone but a superstar, I suspect... though he does not have a direct line to the AD office the way he did when he installed Pat Kilkenny in the job" Evans

I'm not sure Meyer is gettable either since he's from Ohio.

Chip Kelly denies any interest in returning to Oregon (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwizrsCOwNPQAhUKqFQKHShjAW4QqQIIHjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fnews%2Fchip-kelly-refutes-any-possibility-of-leaving-49ers-to-go-back-to-oregon-203614468.html&usg=AFQjCNFo9sFh668vHwhUzJtyC61CDZv_Xw&sig2=je1SspHltdTCrSQE2NrYlA&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc) but considering how poorly his NFL career has gone, I won't fully believe it until another Oregon coach is actually announced.

devildeac
12-01-2016, 12:33 PM
A couple of comments citing my normal source - Sports Radio Talking Heads:

1. The issue at Oregon is poor recruiting, specifically poor results with quarterback recruits.
2. Larry Fedora is one of multiple names being thrown around as in the running for the Baylor job.

If he considers/takes the Baylor job, would he have to change his name to Larry Stetson? :o :rolleyes:

grad_devil
12-01-2016, 12:37 PM
If he considers/takes the Baylor job, would he have to change his name to Larry Stetson? :o :rolleyes:

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2016, 12:40 PM

McIntyre from Florida was an interesting name that I saw come up somewhere. He's from Montana and may want to get back west. Hell, Phil may have a side deal to get Chip Kelly back for all we know.

Reilly
12-01-2016, 12:42 PM

And leave Chapeau Hill?

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Other than with respect to Oregon (or if another P5 job pops up), I think you are going to see guys like Fleck, Fedora, etc. wait until next year. Chad Morriss at SMU could have had the Baylor job but backed off. Next year, you are looking at possible coaching changes at:

Notre Dame (edited to add, and added to top)
Both Arizona schools
UCLA
Michigan St. (if they have another down year given Dantoni's age -- wouldn't be fired)
Texas Tech
A&M
Arkansas
Auburn
Tennessee
Any of Ole Miss, Miss St., LSU, Georgia or South Carolina if they flame out to like 3-9 or something
Georgia Tech
NC State
Maryland

That's just off the top of my head...

devildeac
12-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Other than with respect to Oregon (or if another P5 job pops up), I think you are going to see guys like Fleck, Fedora, etc. wait until next year. Chad Morriss at SMU could have had the Baylor job but backed off. Next year, you are looking at possible coaching changes at:

Notre Dame (edited to add, and added to top)
Both Arizona schools
UCLA
Michigan St. (if they have another down year given Dantoni's age -- wouldn't be fired)
Texas Tech
A&M
Arkansas
Auburn
Tennessee
Any of Ole Miss, Miss St., LSU, Georgia or South Carolina if they flame out to like 3-9 or something
Georgia Tech
NC State
Maryland

That's just off the top of my head...

Fedora? I see what you did there ;) .

devildeac
12-01-2016, 12:52 PM
And leave Chapeau Hill?

Well done. Spork count increased accordingly. ;)

CrazyNotCrazie
12-01-2016, 12:56 PM
McIntyre from Florida was an interesting name that I saw come up somewhere. He's from Montana and may want to get back west. Hell, Phil may have a side deal to get Chip Kelly back for all we know.

McElwain (corrected) was being mentioned a lot for it because most of his career has been on the west coast and I think Florida has a new AD but he has very vocally removed his name from consideration. As with Chip Kelly and other candidates, I won't believe that he is fully removed from consideration until a new coach is officially hired.

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2016, 01:04 PM
McElwain (corrected) was being mentioned a lot for it because most of his career has been on the west coast and I think Florida has a new AD but he has very vocally removed his name from consideration. As with Chip Kelly and other candidates, I won't believe that he is fully removed from consideration until a new coach is officially hired.

Yes. Thank you. I confused him with the CU coach who has done such a good job. Spoke to Buffs fans that think he's solid as his son is currently on the team.

Olympic Fan
12-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Yes. Thank you. I confused him with the CU coach who has done such a good job. Spoke to Buffs fans that think he's solid as his son is currently on the team.

And you know that McIntyre was Cutcliffe's defensive coordinator in his first two seasons at Duke, right?

BTW: I hear gossip (that's all it is, don't take it to the bank) that Les Miles is going to take the Purdue job.

TexHawk
12-01-2016, 01:21 PM

Baylor has one 2017 football commit (http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/baylor-football-class-of-2017.html). ONE. That's good for 160th best class in the country. Fedora, and anyone else remotely average, should laugh and hang up if Baylor called.

TexHawk
12-01-2016, 01:29 PM

MacIntyre would not be accepted in Oregon, he's a defensive guy. Those folks need their identity of fun offense and points.

(He actually could be perfect there, given his background on the west coast and in the NFL, but it won't happen.)

TexHawk
12-01-2016, 01:32 PM

Dantonio is an interesting case. He's been more successful than pretty much any previous Spartan coach, but it's looking like a lot of that had to do with the dumpster fire in Ann Arbor. He's just not going to be able to consistently beat Harbaugh (and Meyer) on the recruiting trail. This would be a fantastic spot for Fleck if it were to open. He is an A+ recruiter and obviously knows Michigan.

ehdg
12-01-2016, 01:43 PM

Isn't Urban actually third behind Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh of Michigan and then Urban?

JasonEvans
12-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Baylor has one 2017 football commit (http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/baylor-football-class-of-2017.html). ONE. That's good for 160th best class in the country. Fedora, and anyone else remotely average, should laugh and hang up if Baylor called.

Good. We play Baylor in 2017 and 2018. I don't need them to be a top 10 fixture at that point. We've already got FSU in 2017 and Clemson in 2018 as our cross-division opponents those years. We don't need another powerhouse.

-Jason "I wish there was some way to make the rotations work better... we won't play NC State again until 2020" Evans

sagegrouse
12-01-2016, 03:16 PM

If Larry had any sense whatsoever, he would wear a fedora on the sidelines at Carolina. Then get a hat contract. so I doubt that he would even grasp the significance of Larry Stetson.

Pghdukie
12-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Can't remember where I've seen this, but Narduzzi from Pitt and Purdue may have had interest in each other. Sorry I can't recall the source.

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Can't remember where I've seen this, but Narduzzi from Pitt and Purdue may have had interest in each other. Sorry I can't recall the source.

That would be a coup for Purdue. If I'm Narduzzi, I look at the Coastal as a potential backdoor to the playoff given the current strengths of the divisions right now. Purdue seems like such a dead end job. Or as I said above, a job that an innovator will need to take a risk at.

Speaking of schools in Indiana -- Indiana is firing Kevin Wilson after giving him a 6 year extension. Rumors are that he was trying to bring back a little Bobby Knight attitude back to Bloomington. That is an up and coming team that Wilson left in better shape than whe he got there. If I am Fleck, I may jump on that one.

Pghdukie
12-01-2016, 03:46 PM
ESPN is reporting that Indiana fire their coach Kevin Wilson tomorrow.

sagegrouse
12-01-2016, 04:48 PM
ESPN is reporting that Indiana fire their coach Kevin Wilson tomorrow.

Six seasons
1-11, 0-8 in Big Ten
4-8, 2-6
5-7, 3-5
4-8, 1-7
6-6, 2-6
6-6, 4-5

That's progress, and this year's 33-28 loss to Wake at home turns out to be a big deal, unless he had truly become persona non grata. Also, last year's loss to Duke in the Pinstripe Bowl.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Six seasons
1-11, 0-8 in Big Ten
4-8, 2-6
5-7, 3-5
4-8, 1-7
6-6, 2-6
6-6, 4-5

That's progress, and this year's 33-28 loss to Wake at home turns out to be a big deal, unless he had truly become persona non grata. Also, last year's loss to Duke in the Pinstripe Bowl.

This ESPN article leads one to believe it was primarily related to player treatment, though one always wonders if they would have been more tolerant of poor treatment of players if his record was better. Though two years in a row of 6-6 at Indiana generally would be enough to get some job security.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18181577/indiana-hoosiers-fire-football-coach-kevin-wilson

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2016, 05:12 PM
This ESPN article leads one to believe it was primarily related to player treatment, though one always wonders if they would have been more tolerant of poor treatment of players if his record was better. Though two years in a row of 6-6 at Indiana generally would be enough to get some job security.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18181577/indiana-hoosiers-fire-football-coach-kevin-wilson

Indiana has had back to back rookie runners in the NFL, their QB last year, I believe, is on the Redskins. They had a potent offense this year and played Michigan pretty tough a couple of weeks ago. They are either going to fall back to Purdue/Illinois land after this year, or use the opportunity, a la University of Houston, to throw money at a PJ Fleck or the USF coach or someone like that to accelerate the momentum Wilson brought. First things first, I bet they have to get Wilson to agree to settle for less or gamble they can fire him with "cause."

brevity
12-04-2016, 12:09 AM
That would be a coup for Purdue. If I'm Narduzzi, I look at the Coastal as a potential backdoor to the playoff given the current strengths of the divisions right now.

If I'm Narduzzi, I'm getting in touch with Oregon and sending them a few recent box scores. But according to this ESPN article (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18195873/oregon-ducks-athletic-director-meets-usf-bulls-willie-taggart-boise-state-broncos-bryan-harsin), he's not even in the mix.