PDA

View Full Version : Poor Old Roy

OZ
12-01-2016, 10:07 AM
“It was a wonderful crowd. Gosh. I'd like to play in front of a crowd like that in the Smith Center every night other than the frickin' Duke game."

Bless his heart; he just can't seem to find the players and/or the fans who share his enthusiasm for unc. Gosh darn frickin fans at the Dean Dome.

ChillinDuke
12-01-2016, 10:13 AM
“It was a wonderful crowd. Gosh. I'd like to play in front of a crowd like that in the Smith Center every night other than the frickin' Duke game."

Bless his heart; he just can't seem to find the players and/or the fans who share his enthusiasm for unc. Gosh darn frickin fans at the Dean Dome.

Link? If so, this is absolutely fantastic.

- Chillin

CameronBlue
12-01-2016, 10:14 AM

Ol Roy's bus needs new tires.

devildeac
12-01-2016, 10:17 AM

- Chillin

I thought the same thing when I read this a few minutes ago. If he really said this, it's amazing he'd insult the t*rh**l faithful like that. Of course, we insult them on multiple levels here on an hourly basis (or, in my case, even more frequently :D).

devildeac
12-01-2016, 10:19 AM

I'm not sure his bus fleet is large enough to throw that many people under it/them.

BLPOG
12-01-2016, 10:22 AM

- Chillin

I tried to find video last night, but the recording of the press conference on the Tar Heel site didn't include it. It was reported by Andrew Carter on Twitter last night. It turns out he wrote an article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article118129703.html) in the N&O about it published today.

Billy Dat
12-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Brice Johnson ‏@bjohnson_23 11h11 hours ago
Everyone coming up with reasons for the lost but it's plain and simple they out played us, especially the first half! Can't happen!

Then, in respone to Roy's "Frickin Duke game" tweet

Maybe y'all will rearrange the seating now? Move the students from in the upper deck to closer to the court!

Brice Johnson ‏@bjohnson_23 10h10 hours ago
I love our fans to death but it shouldn't take just a dunk or duke coming into town for y'all to be going crazy!!

If y'all didn't know Carolina is called the "wine and cheese crowd" I don't know about y'all but that's embarrassing!

OldPhiKap
12-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I tried to find video last night, but the recording of the press conference on the Tar Heel site didn't include it. It was reported by Andrew Carter on Twitter last night. It turns out he wrote an article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article118129703.html) in the N&O about it published today.

I loved this comment on the article you linked, could be almost any poster here:

Mike Chandler · Statesville, North Carolina
Thin-skinned, petty, and self-absorbed, Ol' Roy cannot help but again take a swipe at his own fans and point out how the fans should be working harder to make Roy's million-dollar job easier for Ol' Roy Williams.

Home crowd not loud enough? Maybe UNC could go back to pumping in fake crowd noise over the PA in the Smith Center like they used to do. They seem to like "fake" over there on the Hill. Maybe the crowd has wised up that they have been sold a fake product over the years: hoops played by fake students who took fake classes to stay eligible, all played against a backdrop of fake crowd noise and a fake "Carolina Way." At Carolina, its all about keeping up appearances. To Seem Rather Than To Be.

UNC fans, wake up: You may love and respect your basketball coach, but he sure doesnt love or respect you. He will, however, accept your cash and donations. After all, its hard being Ol' Roy.

Neals384
12-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Everyone coming up with reasons for the lost but it's plain and simple they out played us, especially the first half! Can't happen!

Maybe y'all will rearrange the seating now? Move the students from in the upper deck to closer to the court!

I love our fans to death but it shouldn't take just a dunk or duke coming into town for y'all to be going crazy!!

If y'all didn't know Carolina is called the "wine and cheese crowd" I don't know about y'all but that's embarrassing!

Hey, Brice, welcome to the "Foot in Mouth Tweet Club." You have some famous company in that club, of course!

flyingdutchdevil
12-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Hey, Brice, welcome to the "Foot in Mouth Tweet Club." You have some famous company in that club, of course!

He's also part of the "Foot in Groin Club", compliments of Mr. Winslow. At least a recipient of it!

Dukehky
12-01-2016, 10:35 AM

How did he put his foot in his mouth?

Those things seemed to flow pretty well from each other, and he's also right.

PSurprise
12-01-2016, 10:36 AM

He misspelled wine.

UrinalCake
12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Of course the fans aren't showing up for Roy. Roy has more passion in Roy's pinky than those fans do. Roy.

mr. synellinden
12-01-2016, 10:52 AM

It was all over SportsCenter last night with video of his comments. Should be easy to find. SVP also did a segment on it.

Here is the ESPN print story which references it:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116606/at-indiana-big-wins-now-business-as-usual

Reilly
12-01-2016, 10:53 AM
I thought the Dean Dome crowd laid low b/c they didn't want to get hit as Roy fired his BB gun into the crowd at opposing fans.

BigWayne
12-01-2016, 10:56 AM

- Chillin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3SDQhxWis

It's pretty much right at the start about 25 seconds in. Right after he rips his team for not showing up like Indiana did at the start.

OZ
12-01-2016, 10:57 AM

- Chillin

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article118129703.html

PSurprise
12-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I thought the Dean Dome crowd laid low b/c they didn't want to get hit as Roy fired his BB gun into the crowd at opposing fans.

Or thrown under his bus.

Reilly
12-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I've disliked all ACC expansion starting with FSU, but Sam Cassell's truth-telling helps make up for it.

I didn't realize his quote was after FSU's first-ever ACC hoops game; and per this 1993 article, his quote was actually "cheese and wine".

“This is like a cheese and wine crowd here” …

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1993-01-27/sports/9301270793_1_cheese-and-wine-19-fsu-tar-heels

hudlow
12-01-2016, 11:14 AM
"Frickin'"...I didn't know that anyone - other than reality TV show "stars" - used that term.

OZ
12-01-2016, 11:25 AM
"Frickin"... I didn't know that anyone - other than reality TV show "stars" - used that term.

"Frickin" Roy at his frickin best...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article69039897.html

slower
12-01-2016, 11:36 AM
"Frickin'"...I didn't know that anyone - other than reality TV show "stars" - used that term.

But that's what Roy IS, right?

alteran
12-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I've disliked all ACC expansion starting with FSU, but Sam Cassell's truth-telling helps make up for it.

I didn't realize his quote was after FSU's first-ever ACC hoops game; and per this 1993 article, his quote was actually "cheese and wine".

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1993-01-27/sports/9301270793_1_cheese-and-wine-19-fsu-tar-heels

That comment has stung them for years and it never goes away.

Edouble
12-01-2016, 11:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3SDQhxWis

It's pretty much right at the start about 25 seconds in. Right after he rips his team for not showing up like Indiana did at the start.

Exact quote, after listening to the link:

“It was a wonderful crowd. Gosh. I'd like to play in front of a crowd like that in the Smith Center every now and then other than frickin' Duke game."

MChambers
12-01-2016, 11:43 AM

Not just FSU's first ACC hoops game, but the first win, in Chappa Heeya, of all places!

But I agree with you on expansion.

Spanarkel
12-01-2016, 11:43 AM
How did he put his foot in his mouth?

Those things seemed to flow pretty well from each other, and he's also right.

He(Brice Johnson) put his foot in his mouth by being right(eg, "the emperor has no clothes.")

slower
12-01-2016, 11:55 AM
He(Brice Johnson) put his foot in his mouth by being right(eg, "the emperor has no clothes.")

I'd be perfectly content to have Brice Johnson keep his foot permanently inserted in his piehole.

English
12-01-2016, 01:22 PM
He(Brice Johnson) put his foot in his mouth by being right...

All of the UNC folks I've spoken to today agree on basically three things:
1. Brice is mostly right, but he should be talking to whomever reached the Smith Center-Rams Club agreement decades ago or who is in a position to affect any real change, as unlikely as that would be (and probably not use Twitter as his platform of choice);
2. Roy's refusal to use timeouts to quell an onslaught by the opposition, effectively putting the game out of reach, is very frustrating*;
3. Roy's insistence to play a 10-man rotation, even when he doesn't have 10 D-1 caliber players on the roster, is infuriating (looking at you, Luke Maye)*.

*Shocking that there are some among that fanbase who don't blindly defend Roy's illogical coaching tactics, like the ones trolling these parts.

And let me echo that this Challenge was especially satisfying for me, like most here.

ehdg
12-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Am I the only one who had a very hard time rooting in last nights unc/Indiana game? I'm sorry but I really don't like/care for Tom Creen at all. It was hard to watch and be happy that unc was losing cause I don't like Creen and Indiana any either. I just felt dirty watching that darn ole game!!

TKG
12-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Roy's gee-whiz, dadgum, frickin', golly, shucks schtick is as fabricated as the Carolina Way and the pumped in crowd noise in The Smith Center. Is there anything authentic in the Cheats athletic program?

Edouble
12-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Am I the only one who had a very hard time rooting in last nights unc/Indiana game? I'm sorry but I really don't like/care for Tom Creen at all. It was hard to watch and be happy that unc was losing cause I don't like Creen and Indiana any either. I just felt dirty watching that darn ole game!!

Tom Crean

I am not a huge fan of Crean either, but once I saw Assembly Hall rocking and those powder blue uniforms, I had no problem cheering for the Hoosiers.

ricks68
12-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I loved this comment on the article you linked, could be almost any poster here:

(See mention of fake crowd noise in article linked.)

Please note that it was apparent to me from the seats that I normally sit in that the crowd noise at the Michigan State game was definitely amplified. It sounded like a typical Duke/UNCheaters game with the base turned up a little. The seats I normally sit in are at the very top on the side and are not in an area that is conducive to being surrounded by the true general engulfing loudness of CIS. This time was noticeably different and I did not like it because I felt a sense of commercial betrayal---just like what the humongous unnecessary increase in security that has destroyed the intimate family atmosphere of CIS for everyone has done. Change for the better has always been welcomed for this old Crustie, but to be now lumped in with mainstream ordinary cookie - cutter sports programs has taken away too much of the unique qualities of the Duke experience for me. Very, very, very disappointing.😢 Sigh.😐

ricks

elvis14
12-01-2016, 02:10 PM

Yes, you are the only one. 9F

ricks68
12-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Yes, you are the only one. 9F

Yep. You should be feeling very lonely right now, and deservedly so.

ricks

weezie
12-01-2016, 02:32 PM

Y'ALL better hush up now, y'all. Brice is done worn his thumbs to nubs with all that tweetering, y'all. Obviously, the man is losing sleep too.
Y'all.

budwom
12-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Y'ALL better hush up now, y'all. Brice is done worn his thumbs to nubs with all that tweetering, y'all. Obviously, the man is losing sleep too.
Y'all.

Luv the way he humiliated his own fan base....is that a tweetering fox paw?

Eakane
12-01-2016, 02:37 PM
“It was a wonderful crowd. Gosh. I'd like to play in front of a crowd like that in the Smith Center every now and then other than frickin' Duke game."

After we won last year at Carolina, didn't Roy complain after the game that he needed some "dadgum help" (parphrasing) from the crowd? He went on about it for a bit IIRC. So which is it? Is he unhappy with the support most of the time, or all of the time?

moonpie23
12-01-2016, 02:54 PM
be happy that unc was losing

all that matters....

MCFinARL
12-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Tom Crean

I am not a huge fan of Crean either, but once I saw Assembly Hall rocking and those powder blue uniforms, I had no problem cheering for the Hoosiers.

Agree. The coach is kind of odious, but the Indiana fans were terrific. And thankfully, the ACC had already clinched a challenge win, so the last shred of ambivalence was gone.

devildeac
12-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Agree. The coach is kind of odious, but the Indiana fans were terrific. And thankfully, the ACC had already clinched a challenge win, so the last shred of ambivalence was gone.

Ambivalence? Rooting against the cheaters? NEVER!!!!

sagegrouse
12-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Ya' gotta believe that Roy's quote seems like a great "Fake News" story, except that it is true word-for-word. I can imagine Brevity or DevilDeac or OPK making up something like this. Then Brice Johnson comes roaring in and throws some more logs on the fire.

devildeac
12-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Ya' gotta believe that Roy's quote seems like a great "Fake News" story, except that it is true word-for-word. I can imagine Brevity or DevilDeac or OPK making up something like this. Then Brice Johnson comes roaring in and throws some more logs on the fire.

Thanks, but when it comes to ol roy, he makes/writes/quotes his own material. Who could ever forget, "I don't give a sh*t about c*rolina." (asterisks mine :o)

In fact, did DBR have a shirt with that quote on it many years ago? I've still got the GTHC shirt (in fact, I proudly own several of them ;)) and had the I Said No to Dean shirt (from the D'oh hire) with all the folks who turned down the cheaters' MBB coaching job a while back but can't remember if the famous KU quote was ever put on a tee.

Edouble
12-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks, but when it comes to ol roy, he makes/writes/quotes his own material. Who could ever forget, "I don't give a sh*t about c*rolina." (asterisks mine :o)

In fact, did DBR have a shirt with that quote on it many years ago? I've still got the GTHC shirt (in fact, I proudly own several of them ;)) and had the I Said No to Dean shirt (from the D'oh hire) with all the folks who turned down the cheaters' MBB coaching job a while back but can't remember if the famous KU quote was ever put on a tee.

I believe the shirt read "I agree with Roy".

Also, where are my sporks in the "Do We Still Use The Quote with the Blue Devil Inside" thread that were promised?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30556-Do-we-still-use-the-quot-D-with-Blue-Devil-inside-quot-logo/page2

BLPOG
12-01-2016, 04:57 PM

That "I Said No to Dean" shirt was awesome. I wish I had one. My only DBR gear is one of those hats that says "Duke Basketball Report."

It just occurred to me that the hat might be older than next year's incoming class.

BD80
12-01-2016, 05:39 PM
I thought the same thing when I read this a few minutes ago. If he really said this, it's amazing he'd insult the t*rh**l faithful like that. Of course, we insult them on multiple levels here on an hourly basis (or, in my case, even more frequently :D).

Does internal dialogue count? Then it is every second of every day, 24/7, awake or asleep.

I'm not sure his bus fleet is large enough to throw that many people under it/them.

Well, the dean domers don't move very fast, so one bus has time to go back and forth multiple times - but those walkers will take a toll on the bus tires. Also, if you start throwing the whine and cheese crowd under the bus toward the end of the game, most have already left the stadium.

OZ
12-01-2016, 06:04 PM

I just threw mine away a few months ago - it had become mere threads. The only thing legible was that Elián González had said, "no," to carolina.

blueprofessor
12-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Does internal dialogue count? Then it is every second of every day, 24/7, awake or asleep.

Well, the dean domers don't move very fast, so one bus has time to go back and forth multiple times - but those walkers will take a toll on the bus tires. Also, if you start throwing the whine and cheese crowd under the bus toward the end of the game, most have already left the stadium.

This whining is par for the course for Ol' Roy, isn't it.

In regard to another reference to "wining", however, Andrew Carter made a mistake in today's N&O article. Sam Cassell's comment about the "wine and cheese" UNCHeat crowd was made on the occasion of the first meeting between UNC and FSU as ACC-member schools---December 15, 1991-- not in 1993. I know because I was on the team plane and attended the game. I was an FSU professor, having just returned from a professorship at the University of Cambridge. I had founded the Duke Club in North Florida and was asked by a friend, the executive director of Seminole Boosters, to accompany the FSU team on its first several road trips--to Virginia, NC State, UNC, and Duke. That was a really big deal to me, a basketball fan from a small town in central Florida.:)

At my recommendation the FSU team and party stayed at the Washington Duke Inn, not in Chapel Hill. The 20 fans who accompanied the team had a lovely tour of the Duke campus and a luncheon at the Duke alumni house. I wanted to keep my friends away from Chapel Hill and the UNC campus.

At that December game, the FSU fans got to observe first hand the arrogant behavior of Dean Smith, who on a couple of occasions during the game spoke directly to FSU players, including Charlie Ward, when in bounding the ball near the UNCHeat bench. Needless to say, that and other Smith stunts raised Pat Kennedy's ire, and ever after he hated Smith's guts to the nth degree. When Pat got angry, his face turned beet red. He was red that game.

Kennedy had determined to back door that UNC team to death. It worked. I had met up with Pat at a local watering hole in Tallahassee a few days before the trip and, responding to my question about how he was planning to beat UNC, Pat smiled and diagrammed 3 plays on a napkin, detailing the variations of the back doors he would use. He was always nervous as a cat before games; on this occasion several days before the game, he was calm and predicted that UNC would not stop his team. FSU would, as well, win the Tallahassee rematch the following February 110-96. Players like Cassell, Ward, Doug Edwards, Bob Sura, Rodney Dobard, and Chuck Graham were too talented, too quick for the CHeats. FSU finished 2nd in the league that season to Duke and the following season to UNC.

On the bus heading back to Durham after the game, Cassell was being kidded by Charlie Ward (who would go on to win the 1993 Heisman Trophy) about the former's reference to the UNC crowd. No one knew at the time that Sam's "wine and cheese" comment would enter Tobacco Road basketball lore.

BTW, Kennedy greatly admired Duke and K. Pat used to say that there were two unstoppable forces in college sports in the early '90s: Bobby Hurley dribbling a basketball and Charlie Ward anywhere on a football field.

FSU players were unanimous after the game that the Dean Dome was not particularly intimidating. The FSU party also contrasted the boorishness of Dean Smith with the warm welcome Duke had provided. One person, who had played for FSU many years before, contrasted Smith with Duke, as follows: "No class vs. class." That was before the vast apparatus of the athletic/academic cheating scheme was exposed. I think he got it right.;)

As an aside, I have enjoyed reading the many fine comments at this site over the last several years, although a bout of bad health has prevented me from posting. We Duke fans are fortunate that so many fans care enough to post here.:D
Best regards.
Blue Professor

sagegrouse
12-01-2016, 06:52 PM
This whining is par for the course for Ol' Roy, isn't it.

In regard to another reference to "wining", however, Andrew Carter made a mistake in today's N&O article. Sam Cassell's comment about the "wine and cheese" UNCHeat crowd was made on the occasion of the first meeting between UNC and FSU as ACC-member schools---December 15, 1991-- not in 1993. I know because I was on the team plane and attended the game. I was an FSU professor, having just returned from a professorship at the University of Cambridge. I had founded the Duke Club in North Florida and was asked by a friend, the executive director of Seminole Boosters, to accompany the FSU team on its first several road trips--to Virginia, NC State, UNC, and Duke. That was a really big deal to me, a basketball fan from a small town in central Florida.:)

At my recommendation the FSU team and party stayed at the Washington Duke Inn, not in Chapel Hill. The 20 fans who accompanied the team had a lovely tour of the Duke campus and a luncheon at the Duke alumni house. I wanted to keep my friends away from Chapel Hill and the UNC campus.

At that December game, the FSU fans got to observe first hand the arrogant behavior of Dean Smith, who on a couple of occasions during the game spoke directly to FSU players, including Charlie Ward, when in bounding the ball near the UNCHeat bench. Needless to say, that and other Smith stunts raised Pat Kennedy's ire, and ever after he hated Smith's guts to the nth degree. When Pat got angry, his face turned beet red. He was red that game.

Kennedy had determined to back door that UNC team to death. It worked. I had met up with Pat at a local watering hole in Tallahassee a few days before the trip and, responding to my question about how he was planning to beat UNC, Pat smiled and diagrammed 3 plays on a napkin, detailing the variations of the back doors he would use. He was always nervous as a cat before games; on this occasion several days before the game, he was calm and predicted that UNC would not stop his team. FSU would, as well, win the Tallahassee rematch the following February 110-96. Players like Cassell, Ward, Doug Edwards, Bob Sura, Rodney Dobard, and Chuck Graham were too talented, too quick for the CHeats. FSU finished 2nd in the league that season to Duke and the following season to UNC.

On the bus heading back to Durham after the game, Cassell was being kidded by Charlie Ward (who would go on to win the 1993 Heisman Trophy) about the former's reference to the UNC crowd. No one knew at the time that Sam's "wine and cheese" comment would enter Tobacco Road basketball lore.

BTW, Kennedy greatly admired Duke and K. Pat used to say that there were two unstoppable forces in college sports in the early '90s: Bobby Hurley dribbling a basketball and Charlie Ward anywhere on a football field.

FSU players were unanimous after the game that the Dean Dome was not particularly intimidating. The FSU party also contrasted the boorishness of Dean Smith with the warm welcome Duke had provided. One person, who had played for FSU many years before, contrasted Smith with Duke, as follows: "No class vs. class." That was before the vast apparatus of the athletic/academic cheating scheme was exposed. I think he got it right.;)

As an aside, I have enjoyed reading the many fine comments at this site over the last several years, although a bout of bad health has prevented me from posting. We Duke fans are fortunate that so many fans care enough to post here.:D
Best regards.
Blue Professor

Thanks a mil! Wow! We have among us a witness to some of the great moments in ACC history. Be well!

Olympic Fan
12-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Great story, Blueprof ...

I was also in the Dean Dome that day. I can confirm that Cassell told the media about the "cheese and wine crowd" (he reversed the familiar order) ... but he also explained that he was just repeating what he was told by one of the FSU assistants before the game.

I've always wondered whether the assistant used the term "cheese and wine crowd" or whether he used the more common "wine and cheese crowd" and Cassell got it wrong when he repeated it to the press?

I will say that UNC has improved the atmosphere in the Dean Dome 100 percent since the late '80s and '90s. They had a home game with Maryland in 2000 (I think that's the year) when snow conditions were so bad that the opened the doors and let students (who were just about the only ones that could get there) in to sit anywhere. The atmosphere was so good that the powers that been worked in the offseason to redistribute seating to put students closer.

As I say, they improved the atmosphere tremendously -- although it remains one of the least intimidating venues in the ACC (except, as Roy notes, for "the freakin' Duke game").

PS ESPN Classic just got finished showing the 2012 game from the Smith Center -- the Austin Rivers moment of glory.

sagegrouse
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM

I was also in the Dean Dome that day. I can confirm that Cassell told the media about the "cheese and wine crowd" (he reversed the familiar order) ... but he also explained that he was just repeating what he was told by one of the FSU assistants before the game.

I've always wondered whether the assistant used the term "cheese and wine crowd" or whether he used the more common "wine and cheese crowd" and Cassell got it wrong when he repeated it to the press?.
I suppose the question about "right" or "wrong" is whether the UNC crowd was "cheesier" or "whinier?"

Indoor66
12-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Thank you, Blue Professor. I love history and hearing personal accounts of events. I hope that you are able to post often.

WiJoe
12-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Didn't ol' Huck used to cheat, mhm coach at a place that always had enthusiastic sellout crowds. You're not in Kansas anymore, Huck!
:cool:

Pghdukie
12-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Great story blueprof ! Thanks for sharing!

aimo
12-01-2016, 08:22 PM

It did say I AGREE WITH ROY on the front and "I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now" on the back. I have one that I had him autograph. DBR posted a photo of it a long time ago. Maybe it'll be worth something one day . . .

blueprofessor
12-02-2016, 04:51 PM

I've always wondered whether the assistant used the term "cheese and wine crowd" or whether he used the more common "wine and cheese crowd" and Cassell got it wrong when he repeated it to the press?

Olympic Fan, I think I can answer your questions about the original source of Sam Cassell's "cheese and wine" comment, as well as whether Sam changed the words in that original expression or repeated verbatim what he had heard before the game.

As you know, in past decades a bus driver usually was exclusively assigned to transport the visiting team and often got to know the players. On the occasion of the December 15, 1991, FSU-UNC game, that specific driver was a folksy, diehard Duke fan. He accompanied the Seminole players for the shoot-around at the Dean Dome the morning of the game. After 15 minutes or so of warm ups, that bus driver observed the seated, resting players looking around the spacious dome and decided to give the players an informal pep talk. Several players, including Charlie Ward, Byron Wells (more about him later), and Sam Cassell were sitting down with still other players mingling around or shooting. The coaches, including the indispensable rock of the team Tom Carlson (Pat Kennedy's brother-in-law) and the brainy and subtle motivator/psychologist Dave Zimroth, were nearby listening to the bus driver's amusing trash talk. Everybody, including the players, was chuckling at this Tobacco Road original's take down of all things UNC. The bus driver quickly settled on the CHeat fans: "Don't worry about these folks here; they sit on their hands 'cause they are a wine and cheese crowd!"

Now, Sam heard this remark as he was sitting next to Byron (with whom I chatted yesterday-- he is a principal in a local company). Byron confirmed this fact. Visualization of success, without any diversion, was particularly important that day, as Doug Edwards, as a consequence of brawling in the Florida A&M game, was suspended for the UNC game. Tom Carlson assured me that no coach would have ever told Sam anything about a crowd because it would, as Tom put it, "stir the pot", meaning mess with the player's mind. If Sam actually said that a coach (as opposed merely to someone) told him about the Dean Dome crowd, he misspoke, according to Tom. Or Sam was misquoted.

So, the original source of the wine and comment was a jocular and likable Tobacco Road, Duke loving bus driver who had befriended the FSU players in the short time he had spent with them. Byron said that the driver acted as if Duke had just won the national championship after FSU destroyed the Heels that day. He was genuinely happy for the players apart from his ultimate loyalty (the Good Lord and Duke, probably in that order). Moreover, Tom and Byron both confirmed the original comment was "wine and cheese" and that Sam merely had reordered the elements of the expression.

Byron Wells also recounted to me that Pat Kennedy had devised an offense, without Doug Edwards, that would work quite well against the Heels on that 1991 day. In practice several days before the trip, Kennedy placed 4 strips of tape around the perimeter and told each of Sam, Ward, Byron, and Sura to position himself on a tape strip and cut and back pick the entire game. Rodney Dobard, one of the most underrated ACC players of the period and the quickest, best jumper on the team, was to play near the basket. That offense played to FSU's strong suit of quick and good ball handlers who could shoot, thereby producing consistently good looks and made baskets. Kennedy kept it the rest of the year, even following Edwards' return from suspension. It worked well in the season's Tallahassee rematch with the CHeats to the tune of a 110-96 rout.:p

Unfortunately, the return engagement in Chapel Hill on January 27,1993, did not have a happy ending, although for 28 minutes and 17 seconds FSU destroyed UNC. Doug Edwards and Charlie Ward were sick with the flu that day, and Pat, in building a 21 point lead with just under 12 minutes to play, had not adequately rested the starters, who actually plead with the coaches to get a blow, too often without success. In fact, the starters, including the enervated Ward and Edwards, played 182 of the 200 minutes. With 11:43 to play, Coach Smith unleashed a full court press with the result that George Lynch's dunk with a bit over a minute to play put UNC ahead for good. After the game, a dejected Kennedy apologized to the team for his failure to provide the needed in-game rest. The UNC crowd, at full dome capacity with students on campus unlike the December 15, 1991, game, rushed the court. Before the game, the students had chanted, " Wine and blue cheese!" The FSU players, Byron and Sam Cassell included, remain super ticked off to this day that a coaching misjudgment cost them a 13-3 ACC regular season record and a tie with UNC as league leader. The effort expended in the 2nd half comeback may have affected UNC in their next two games: losses to Wake and Duke, respectively.

Byron confirmed what I posted here yesterday about Dean Smith's arrogance during the game, but enlarged the number of occasions of Smith's improper comments to FSU players during that 1991 game. According to Byron, no one on the FSU team had any doubt that Smith was trying to "get in the heads of our players." He said he and most of the players put UNC second only to Florida on their loathing list. His words, as well: "That Carolina Way is a complete sham." If he, instead, had used the phrase Potemkin village, it would not have surprised me, as he is a very smart fellow.

Byron Wells was cheered by the UNC crowd when he was introduced before that 1993 game and congratulated with high fives during the crowd rush afterward for something that had not even happened that day. Byron, in the Duke game in Tallahassee, just 3 days earlier, had shot the game winning 3-pointer in overtime for the FSU win. That play was interesting, as Byron explained. The play called by Kennedy in the huddle was for Sam Cassell to take the inbound pass and with Charlie Ward and Rodney Dobard to set back screens (Edwards for FSU and Grant Hill had fouled out) to free Bob Sura on the right side and Wells on the left corner. When they broke the huddle, Sam told Byron,
"B, I am passing you the ball." Byron thought, "Sure, Sam!" as Sam was not inclined to ever not take a big shot. Everyone on the floor for the Devils, as well, obviously expected Cassell to take it, as was his habit 100% of the time until then. Unfortunately, everyone included Cherokee Parks, who was assigned to close out Wells. Cherokee took a step toward the dangerous Cassell who instantly passed to a surprised Wells. Wells, a 50% shooter that year but with only 25% from the arc (with a fairly low sample size because, in fairness, he had won the Florida three-point shooting title as a senior in high school), took his normal, very soft shot. It grazed the rim and curved around the far side rim as if in a whirlpool and dropped in as though pulled though by a weight. The next play, Ward, atoning for his missed assignment on the screen on the Wells' basket, stole the inbound pass from Hurley to seal the game 89-88. Byron since has good-naturedly referred to his shot as Wells' English.:)

Even though I still feel the pain, I am happy for Byron as he is a very fine fellow. I was not happy for my later co-chairman of the Duke AAA committee for 15 years: a former outstanding Duke women's tennis player, a partner in a prominent law firm, who found her office totally papered by her FSU partners. Unfortunately the Wells' heroics would portend a number of close Duke losses and other white-knuckle games in Tallahassee.:eek:

Best regards.
Blue Professor

DM_keggy_the_keg
12-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Olympic Fan, I think I can answer your questions about the original source of Sam Cassell's "cheese and wine" comment, as well as whether Sam changed the words in that original expression or repeated verbatim what he had heard before the game.

As you know, in past decades a bus driver usually was exclusively assigned to transport the visiting team and often got to know the players. On the occasion of the December 15, 1991, FSU-UNC game, that specific driver was a folksy, diehard Duke fan. He accompanied the Seminole players for the shoot-around at the Dean Dome the morning of the game. After 15 minutes or so of warm ups, that bus driver observed the seated, resting players looking around the spacious dome and decided to give the players an informal pep talk. Several players, including Charlie Ward, Byron Wells (more about him later), and Sam Cassell were sitting down with still other players mingling around or shooting. The coaches, including the indispensable rock of the team Tom Carlson (Pat Kennedy's brother-in-law) and the brainy and subtle motivator/psychologist Dave Zimroth, were nearby listening to the bus driver's amusing trash talk. Everybody, including the players, was chuckling at this Tobacco Road original's take down of all things UNC. The bus driver quickly settled on the CHeat fans: "Don't worry about these folks here; they sit on their hands 'cause they are a wine and cheese crowd!"

Now, Sam heard this remark as he was sitting next to Byron (with whom I chatted yesterday-- he is a principal in a local company). Byron confirmed this fact. Visualization of success, without any diversion, was particularly important that day, as Doug Edwards, as a consequence of brawling in the Florida A&M game, was suspended for the UNC game. Tom Carlson assured me that no coach would have ever told Sam anything about a crowd because it would, as Tom put it, "stir the pot", meaning mess with the player's mind. If Sam actually said that a coach (as opposed merely to someone) told him about the Dean Dome crowd, he misspoke, according to Tom. Or Sam was misquoted.

So, the original source of the wine and comment was a jocular and likable Tobacco Road, Duke loving bus driver who had befriended the FSU players in the short time he had spent with them. Byron said that the driver acted as if Duke had just won the national championship after FSU destroyed the Heels that day. He was genuinely happy for the players apart from his ultimate loyalty (the Good Lord and Duke, probably in that order). Moreover, Tom and Byron both confirmed the original comment was "wine and cheese" and that Sam merely had reordered the elements of the expression.

Byron Wells also recounted to me that Pat Kennedy had devised an offense, without Doug Edwards, that would work quite well against the Heels on that 1991 day. In practice several days before the trip, Kennedy placed 4 strips of tape around the perimeter and told each of Sam, Ward, Byron, and Sura to position himself on a tape strip and cut and back pick the entire game. Rodney Dobard, one of the most underrated ACC players of the period and the quickest, best jumper on the team, was to play near the basket. That offense played to FSU's strong suit of quick and good ball handlers who could shoot, thereby producing consistently good looks and made baskets. Kennedy kept it the rest of the year, even following Edwards' return from suspension. It worked well in the season's Tallahassee rematch with the CHeats to the tune of a 110-96 rout.:p

Unfortunately, the return engagement in Chapel Hill on January 27,1993, did not have a happy ending, although for 28 minutes and 17 seconds FSU destroyed UNC. Doug Edwards and Charlie Ward were sick with the flu that day, and Pat, in building a 21 point lead with just under 12 minutes to play, had not adequately rested the starters, who actually plead with the coaches to get a blow, too often without success. In fact, the starters, including the enervated Ward and Edwards, played 182 of the 200 minutes. With 11:43 to play, Coach Smith unleashed a full court press with the result that George Lynch's dunk with a bit over a minute to play put UNC ahead for good. After the game, a dejected Kennedy apologized to the team for his failure to provide the needed in-game rest. The UNC crowd, at full dome capacity with students on campus unlike the December 15, 1991, game, rushed the court. Before the game, the students had chanted, " Wine and blue cheese!" The FSU players, Byron and Sam Cassell included, remain super ticked off to this day that a coaching misjudgment cost them a 13-3 ACC regular season record and a tie with UNC as league leader. The effort expended in the 2nd half comeback may have affected UNC in their next two games: losses to Wake and Duke, respectively.

Byron confirmed what I posted here yesterday about Dean Smith's arrogance during the game, but enlarged the number of occasions of Smith's improper comments to FSU players during that 1991 game. According to Byron, no one on the FSU team had any doubt that Smith was trying to "get in the heads of our players." He said he and most of the players put UNC second only to Florida on their loathing list. His words, as well: "That Carolina Way is a complete sham." If he, instead, had used the phrase Potemkin village, it would not have surprised me, as he is a very smart fellow.

Byron Wells was cheered by the UNC crowd when he was introduced before that 1993 game and congratulated with high fives during the crowd rush afterward for something that had not even happened that day. Byron, in the Duke game in Tallahassee, just 3 days earlier, had shot the game winning 3-pointer in overtime for the FSU win. That play was interesting, as Byron explained. The play called by Kennedy in the huddle was for Sam Cassell to take the inbound pass and with Charlie Ward and Rodney Dobard to set back screens (Edwards for FSU and Grant Hill had fouled out) to free Bob Sura on the right side and Wells on the left corner. When they broke the huddle, Sam told Byron,
"B, I am passing you the ball." Byron thought, "Sure, Sam!" as Sam was not inclined to ever not take a big shot. Everyone on the floor for the Devils, as well, obviously expected Cassell to take it, as was his habit 100% of the time until then. Unfortunately, everyone included Cherokee Parks, who was assigned to close out Wells. Cherokee took a step toward the dangerous Cassell who instantly passed to a surprised Wells. Wells, a 50% shooter that year but with only 25% from the arc (with a fairly low sample size because, in fairness, he had won the Florida three-point shooting title as a senior in high school), took his normal, very soft shot. It grazed the rim and curved around the far side rim as if in a whirlpool and dropped in as though pulled though by a weight. The next play, Ward, atoning for his missed assignment on the screen on the Wells' basket, stole the inbound pass from Hurley to seal the game 89-88. Byron since has good-naturedly referred to his shot as Wells' English.:)

Even though I still feel the pain, I am happy for Byron as he is a very fine fellow. I was not happy for my later co-chairman of the Duke AAA committee for 15 years: a former outstanding Duke women's tennis player, a partner in a prominent law firm, who found her office totally papered by her FSU partners. Unfortunately the Wells' heroics would portend a number of close Duke losses and other white-knuckle games in Tallahassee.:eek:

Best regards.
Blue Professor

As a younger Duke and Dartmouth fan (hence, keggy the keg) thank you, blueprofessor!

I agree with Olympic Fan, Sagegrouse, Indoor66, Pghdukie -- what great posts and fascinating stories with your providing so much eyewitness background to memorable events that are huge in ACC basketball history. Please post as often as you can!

Merlindevildog91
12-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I was EXCEPTIONALLY bored (and home with stomach flu) last week and ventured over to hear the whining on IC about this topic. Some of the unhappy sheep backed old Roy for pointing out the quietness of the Nose Dome and the old fuddyduds down front. (One even said he had gone to a game and one of the moldy oldies had poked him with his cane when he got up to cheer). Others were mad at Old Roy for throwing another group of people under the bus.

As an aside, we attended the Maine game yesterday. Shout out to the Crazies, who were hopping all game. No, it wasn't exactly superior competition, but you wouldn't have known it from the crowd noise. And there weren't many empty seats. Wonder what sounds would have emanated from the lower level of the Nose Dome if the sheep played Maine.

devildeac
12-04-2016, 07:57 PM
I was EXCEPTIONALLY bored (and home with stomach flu) last week and ventured over to hear the whining on IC about this topic. Some of the unhappy sheep backed old Roy for pointing out the quietness of the Nose Dome and the old fuddyduds down front. (One even said he had gone to a game and one of the moldy oldies had poked him with his cane when he got up to cheer). Others were mad at Old Roy for throwing another group of people under the bus.

As an aside, we attended the Maine game yesterday. Shout out to the Crazies, who were hopping all game. No, it wasn't exactly superior competition, but you wouldn't have known it from the crowd noise. And there weren't many empty seats. Wonder what sounds would have emanated from the lower level of the Nose Dome if the sheep played Maine.

I'd guess bleating and/or flatulence.

:o:rolleyes:

Edouble
12-05-2016, 03:46 PM
The popping of corks, the pouring of wine into waiting goblets, and the warm whispers of soft brie spread across the crusty tops of toast points!

OldPhiKap
12-05-2016, 05:02 PM
The popping of corks, the pouring of wine into waiting goblets, and the warm whispers of soft brie spread across the crusty tops of toast points!

I picture them as more of a Boone's Farm and Velveeta crowd.

BD80
12-05-2016, 07:18 PM
I picture them as more of a Boone's Farm and Velveeta crowd.

Velveeta makes canned cheese?

No wait, it's the crowd noise that's canned.

Tom B.
12-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Byron Wells was cheered by the UNC crowd when he was introduced before that 1993 game and congratulated with high fives during the crowd rush afterward for something that had not even happened that day. Byron, in the Duke game in Tallahassee, just 3 days earlier, had shot the game winning 3-pointer in overtime for the FSU win. That play was interesting, as Byron explained. The play called by Kennedy in the huddle was for Sam Cassell to take the inbound pass and with Charlie Ward and Rodney Dobard to set back screens (Edwards for FSU and Grant Hill had fouled out) to free Bob Sura on the right side and Wells on the left corner. When they broke the huddle, Sam told Byron, "B, I am passing you the ball." Byron thought, "Sure, Sam!" as Sam was not inclined to ever not take a big shot. Everyone on the floor for the Devils, as well, obviously expected Cassell to take it, as was his habit 100% of the time until then. Unfortunately, everyone included Cherokee Parks, who was assigned to close out Wells. Cherokee took a step toward the dangerous Cassell who instantly passed to a surprised Wells. Wells, a 50% shooter that year but with only 25% from the arc (with a fairly low sample size because, in fairness, he had won the Florida three-point shooting title as a senior in high school), took his normal, very soft shot. It grazed the rim and curved around the far side rim as if in a whirlpool and dropped in as though pulled though by a weight. The next play, Ward, atoning for his missed assignment on the screen on the Wells' basket, stole the inbound pass from Hurley to seal the game 89-88. Byron since has good-naturedly referred to his shot as Wells' English.:)

Best regards.
Blue Professor

I must spread some comments around before I spork you again.

I'm really enjoying these stories, so keep 'em coming. Here's a clip of the famous (or infamous, depending on your perspective) Byron Wells three-pointer that beat Duke in 1993. The shot actually hit the front of the rim, caromed backwards, bounced off the backboard, then off the rim again, and dropped through. Still pisses me off.

http://bit.ly/2h2fPnW

uh_no
12-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Poor Old Roy thy name we sing
ever complaints he'll raise, he'll raise
of crazies begrudging for everlasting days
a sea of empty seats (vroom vr-vroom)
the fans they just don't care
as ramses meakly bleats
"I'll have the camembert"

blueprofessor
12-06-2016, 01:39 PM
I must spread some comments around before I spork you again.

I'm really enjoying these stories, so keep 'em coming. Here's a clip of the famous (or infamous, depending on your perspective) Byron Wells three-pointer that beat Duke in 1993. The shot actually hit the front of the rim, caromed backwards, bounced off the backboard, then off the rim again, and dropped through. Still pisses me off.

http://bit.ly/2h2fPnW

Tom B, great find!
I did not see a trigger warning in your post.:)

With all kind regards, I will refrain, at least until I am sufficiently, liquidly fortified, from reliving the agony.

All the best.
Blue Professor

UrinalCake
12-06-2016, 01:42 PM
The highly intimidating crowd from last weekend's game against Radford:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy3UiWYWgAA9-py.jpg

devildeac
12-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Well, what'd you expect? It's not the "frickin' Duke game!" ;)

BD80
12-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Yeah, but the total age still exceeded a full Cameron crowd.

Hell, with an average age of 117, the total age might exceed a full "Big House" at 110,000+

Merlindevildog91
12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Love all the StubHub ad space. Probably those Radford tickets were hard to come by....

MarkD83
12-06-2016, 04:09 PM
The ad does say "your ticket out" so maybe things are so bad that you have to pay to leave the dean dome

OldPhiKap
12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Two ways to get a Heel:

1. "Carmichael was much more intimidating."

2. "Dean would have won that game."

rasputin
12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Yeah, but the total age still exceeded a full Cameron crowd.

Hell, with an average age of 117, the total age might exceed a full "Big House" at 110,000+

It looked like a couple of boxes of Franzia and a can of Cheez Whiz would take care of this group.

OZ
12-06-2016, 04:28 PM
My memory is the LAST person to utter an audible sound from the "whine and cheese" section was forcibly removed. He just misunderstood protocol and yelled during a free throw. The fact that he was wearing a Presbyterian shirt should have had no bearing on the situation. Giving Roy the benefit of the doubt, perhaps, not being accustomed to noise from that area, the yell startled him and he over reacted.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Most fans stay back out of bb gun range from the home bench.

rasputin
12-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Most fans stay back out of bb gun range from the home bench.

And they stay away from the bus too.

NSDukeFan
12-06-2016, 07:06 PM
The ad does say "your ticket out" so maybe things are so bad that you have to pay to leave the dean dome

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave?

Indoor66
12-06-2016, 07:12 PM

Why would you ever want to check in?😈😠😎

Green Wave Dukie
12-06-2016, 07:34 PM

... no pink campaign on ice

ricks68
12-07-2016, 11:23 AM
I believe the shirt read "I agree with Roy".

Also, where are my sporks in the "Do We Still Use The Quote with the Blue Devil Inside" thread that were promised?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30556-Do-we-still-use-the-quot-D-with-Blue-Devil-inside-quot-logo/page2

I'll see if I am allowed to give you some sporks for that. By the way, I have all the shirts mentioned plus the "We can play" shirt from the early 90's-----they just don't fit any more. (See the beer thread.) If anyone deserves sporks for that, it's obviously me. Ha!

ricks

ricks68
12-07-2016, 11:28 AM
I'll see if I am allowed to give you some sporks for that. By the way, I have all the shirts mentioned plus the "We can play" shirt from the early 90's-----they just don't fit any more. (See the beer thread.) If anyone deserves sporks for that, it's obviously me. Ha!

ricks

This old Crustie just saw that I did spork you already for that. I am old.

ricks

Merlindevildog91
12-07-2016, 12:08 PM

ricks

I still have the "Duke takes a bite out of Tark's Sharks" and, for good measure, a football T-shirt from when we beat Clemson in 1989.

Perhaps this explains why I had to take a nap before the game last night to make sure I could stay up until the end and still function this morning.

And get off my lawn.