PDA

View Full Version : Crazies go too far?

DukeWarhead
11-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Yeah, not cool. Public health disasters aren't clever.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18172931/duke-blue-devils-michigan-state-spartans-condemn-sign-referencing-flint-water-crisis

SCMatt33
11-30-2016, 02:59 PM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18172931/duke-blue-devils-michigan-state-spartans-condemn-sign-referencing-flint-water-crisis

Yes, but it should be "Crazie" singular. Didn't see anything that indicated a coordinated effort beyond the person who brought the sign. Not acceptable in the least.

scottdude8
11-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Being a Michigander I was extremely disappointed when I heard about this. Totally agree that it seems like this was one person being an idiot and taking things too far. However, this just gives fuel to the fire for those who pursue the Duke-hating and Crazie-hating agenda.

I would LOVE if the Crazies took the initiative to turn this stupidity into a positive. Someone who is currently at Duke should organize a fundraising effort to get water bottles to Flint (something that is STILL needed given the situation there) or something like that. Show the world that one bad Crazie doesn't reflect all Crazies, nor all who are Duke alums and fans.

Get on it Crazies!

cruxer
11-30-2016, 04:45 PM
That was certainly too far, and like the OSU sign, even 1 makes everyone else look bad. Sometimes I wonder if it's generational in that younger folks don't understand how serious some of these situations are, then I remember that it was the olds like me who actually created the situation in Flint... :mad:

rasputin
11-30-2016, 05:09 PM
That was certainly too far, and like the OSU sign, even 1 makes everyone else look bad. Sometimes I wonder if it's generational in that younger folks don't understand how serious some of these situations are, then I remember that it was the olds like me who actually created the situation in Flint... :mad:

I have had a bad opinion of Arizona State University ever since the Steve Kerr thing decades ago.

Dukehky
11-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Worse than throwing condoms on the floor?

rthomas
11-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Worse than the shoes? or the records?

duke4ever19
11-30-2016, 05:37 PM

If you're going to be cruel and get away with it, you have to be more subtle and creative than that. It didn't even rhyme. "The water tastes better in North Carolina" is not very subtle, therefore it's in bad taste. There should be an element of doubt there which gives one pause to question what exactly is meant by that. It's too much of a bad situation in Flint not to leave oneself an alternative explanation for the meaning.

This particular student should not be allowed to create any more signs.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Meh. Not in good taste. Not the worse that I have seen in Cameron, or in sports.

BD80
11-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Meh. Not in good taste. Not the worse that I have seen in Cameron, or in sports.

Pretty sure I wouldn't do well in today's "everything gets on the internet" society.

Kids have to learn that anything they do is likely to be captured and be around to haunt them for the rest of their lives. Sadly, most of the worst incidents are self-inflicted, via selfie posted on social media.

NovaScotian
11-30-2016, 07:59 PM

I'm with you. I certainly reserve the right to be offended, but I'm having trouble seeing how this makes fun of the victims rather than making fun of the incompetent and irresponsible leaders of Michigan who let this happen. Granted, North Carolina's conscience is not clean when it comes to the government treating folks fairly, but then again, the point of a sports sign is not introspection.

Indoor66
11-30-2016, 08:14 PM
I'm with you. I certainly reserve the right to be offended, but I'm having trouble seeing how this makes fun of the victims rather than making fun of the incompetent and irresponsible leaders of Michigan who let this happen. Granted, North Carolina's conscience is not clean when it comes to the government treating folks fairly, but then again, the point of a sports sign is not introspection.

Obviously your sensitivity meter is not dialed up enough to fully understand and appreciate the level of concern about all things that pervades this board. 😎

Edouble
11-30-2016, 08:58 PM
If you're going to be cruel and get away with it, you have to be more subtle and creative than that. It didn't even rhyme. "The water tastes better in North Carolina" is not very subtle, therefore it's in bad taste. There should be an element of doubt there which gives one pause to question what exactly is meant by that. It's too much of a bad situation in Flint not to leave oneself an alternative explanation for the meaning.

This particular student should not be allowed to create any more signs.

I agree.

I think most topics could be the subject of humor. The sign was in poor taste, in part, because it just wasn't funny. If it had made me laugh and then I felt like "Boy, I'm going to hell for laughing at that," it would be one thing... but it just wasn't well executed. So, it was insulting to the people of Flint, and to ex-Crazies everywhere.

gocanes0506
11-30-2016, 09:03 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I could definitely see it as offensive if they had mentioned the water causing cancer or death but the sign merely mentioned taste. I do agree it isn't clever and lacks humor. People need to turn down their sensitivity if this is offensive. That fan just needs be ridiculed for being dumb not condemned for something deemed offensive. Feel free to feel how you feel though.