PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. 2016 Carolina Panthers.

moonpie23
11-27-2016, 08:17 PM
I just can't even..... we basically lost one really good player - josh "i got more trash in my mouth than you do" Norman......

from first to worst..

duke74
11-27-2016, 08:30 PM
I just can't even.... we basically lost one really good player - josh "i got more trash in my mouth than you do" Norman...

from first to worst..

Sorry..no sympathy here...from a Jets fan from the Titan days at the Polo Grounds. Apart from a few fluke years, sustained mediocrity.

Newton_14
11-27-2016, 08:40 PM
I just can't even... we basically lost one really good player - josh "i got more trash in my mouth than you do" Norman...

from first to worst..

Outside of a couple of outliers (Browns, Jets, etc) the NFL is a league full of parity. Lots of pretty much equal teams. One or more of those teams will get hot and stay hot during a given season. Last year it was the Panthers and Bronco's, this year it's my Cowboys, and a couple of others. It is hard for most teams to sustain that after an offseason. A few plays here and there each game can kill you. That's the story of the Panthers season this year. Close but can't finish. All of a sudden you go from great to struggling to win a game.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

moonpie23
11-27-2016, 08:57 PM
i'll pull for zak and zeke............hopefully something good will happen with tony......either on or off the cowboys...

wavedukefan70s
11-27-2016, 09:41 PM
I have no love for the (North)carolina panthers.never liked them from day one .that blue yuck.as for my cowboys i think we may have turned the corner as a franchise.young on offense .we could shore up the D some.if we can do that a superbowl is possible.

Newton_14
11-27-2016, 09:51 PM
I have no love for the (North)carolina panthers.never liked them from day one .that blue yuck.as for my cowboys i think we may have turned the corner as a franchise.young on offense .we could shore up the D some.if we can do that a superbowl is possible.

Agree on Cowboys. Our defense, or lack thereof, will limit our ability to go very far in the playoffs in my opinion. Great offense, with great balance, but man that defense is porous.

wavedukefan70s
11-27-2016, 10:51 PM
Maybe a trade romo for some defensive help.

PackMan97
11-28-2016, 07:43 AM
Can not pull for a team named Carolina that wears Blue. It goes against my core values.

The only difference between the Panthers and Tarheels is that I don't actively cheer against the Panthers and it doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy on the inside when the Panthers lose.

JasonEvans
11-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Maybe a trade romo for some defensive help.

Perhaps in the off-season, but in-season NFL trades are extremely rare and the trade deadline has already passed. You are what you are at this point... and the Cowboys are very good on O with a so-so D.

-Jason "the NFC playoffs should feature some great O (Cowboys and Falcons) against some great D (Seahawks and Minnesota)" Evans

wavedukefan70s
11-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Thats more or less what i was thinking.we need two d lineman and a fast cover guy.

elvis14
11-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Wow did Cam Newton kill my fantasy football team this year. From MVP to sub-par QB in just a few months. He completed 3 passes in the first half yesterday...3. I know the NFS has parity but I'd expect a reasonable drop off for the Panthers would be to end up 10-6 or 9-7.

As for the Cowboys....let's just say that one thing the NFL and Duke Basketball have in common is that it's always been and always will be ABC, Anybody But Cheaters or Cowboys.

Devilwin
11-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Wow did Cam Newton kill my fantasy football team this year. From MVP to sub-par QB in just a few months. He completed 3 passes in the first half yesterday...3. I know the NFS has parity but I'd expect a reasonable drop off for the Panthers would be to end up 10-6 or 9-7.

As for the Cowboys...let's just say that one thing the NFL and Duke Basketball have in common is that it's always been and always will be ABC, Anybody But Cheaters or Cowboys.

O Line and secondary play have killed the Panthers. Too many injuries also. Guess I can't pull for anyone in the playoffs, unless Green Bay gets in. No way I pull for an AFC team, and God knows I hate Dallas.

Jarhead
11-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Can not pull for a team named Carolina that wears Blue. It goes against my core values.

The only difference between the Panthers and Tarheels is that I don't actively cheer against the Panthers and it doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy on the inside when the Panthers lose.

I'm with you, PackMan, I just cannot stomach carowino blue. I have been rooting for Duke, and against the tarheels since my freshman year at Duke, but the panthers I also hate. I have been a loyal Redskins fan since my Dad took me to a 'skins game when I was a freshman in high school. Then when I ended up in NC every 'skins game was on local TV every weekend. Oh, joy. But then, the panthers showed up down here, and the NFL stopped showing Redskins games in North Carolina. So I hate the panthers as much as I hate the tarheels. Hail to the Redskins, hail victory... Fight for old DC.

elvis14
11-28-2016, 03:48 PM
I'm with you, PackMan, I just cannot stomach carowino blue. I have been rooting for Duke, and against the tarheels since my freshman year at Duke, but the panthers I also hate. I have been a loyal Redskins fan since my Dad took me to a 'skins game when I was a freshman in high school. Then when I ended up in NC every 'skins game was on local TV every weekend. Oh, joy. But then, the panthers showed up down here, and the NFL stopped showing Redskins games in North Carolina. So I hate the panthers as much as I hate the tarheels. Hail to the Redskins, hail victory... Fight for old DC.

When they created the Panthers and stopped showing Redskins games every week, it made it just about impossible for me to root for the Panthers. All these years later I'm still a Redskins fan and pretty much apathetic towards the Panthers.

Devilwin
11-28-2016, 03:59 PM
I grew up a Packers fan, and rarely got to see them because of the Redskins..:(

Newton_14
11-28-2016, 10:52 PM
When they created the Panthers and stopped showing Redskins games every week, it made it just about impossible for me to root for the Panthers. All these years later I'm still a Redskins fan and pretty much apathetic towards the Panthers.

I grew up a Packers fan, and rarely got to see them because of the Redskins..:(

And I grew up a diehard Cowboys fan for the same reasons. Redskins was the only game we got... I hated them and thus clinged to their bitter enemies the Cowboys. Haven't wavered since, even during lean years. The early 90's where Duke was winning Natty's and the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls were Heaven for me!

PackMan97
11-29-2016, 08:09 AM
And I grew up a diehard Cowboys fan for the same reasons. Redskins was the only game we got... I hated them and thus clinged to their bitter enemies the Cowboys. Haven't wavered since, even during lean years. The early 90's where Duke was winning Natty's and the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls were Heaven for me!

This! I cheer for the Cowboys only because Redskin fans hate them. Though to be honest, I really don't like the Cowboys...lately with Snider in charge, I haven't even really bothered hating the Redskins, most Redskins fans are hating themselves so much that I don't have to. Since winning the Super Bowl in 1991, they've been downright putrid.

It really leaves me wondering...if UNC sucked for 25 years with only a handful of winning seasons and never making it past the opening round of the NCAA...would I hate them as much? I hope that I get a chance to find out. It's pretty clear Duke and Carolina fans don't hate State as much as they used to :(

rsvman
11-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Cowboys are a house of cards, in my opinion. Trouble on the horizon, maybe as soon add their next game against the Lions? But I can totally see the cowboys waltzing through the regular season almost unscathed and then losing the wheels in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I am a Redskins fan so it's hard for me to be objective.

DukieInKansas
11-29-2016, 01:34 PM

They say everyone has a flaw and I just found yours. :D Two NFL teams I dislike - Cowboys and Raiders. Broncos get honorable mention. That's what happens when you grow up a Steelers fan and then have Chiefs season tickets for 29 years.

PackMan97
11-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Cowboys are a house of cards, in my opinion. Trouble on the horizon, maybe as soon add their next game against the Lions? But I can totally see the cowboys waltzing through the regular season almost unscathed and then losing the wheels in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I am a Redskins fan so it's hard for me to be objective.

I thought the same thing with the Panthers last season and the wheels never fell off, even the Super Bowl was well fought with a chance to drive for the win with 5 minutes left in the 4th.

devildeac
11-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Charlotte Panthers to me. No team is referred to with c*rolina in their name from my lips. Zebulon Mudcats (minor league baseball team). Raleigh Hurricanes, too. And folks want a re-count/re-vote on Mount Hatemore reps. Pfffftt. ;)

I did follow them somewhat last year, just not a big pro football (or baseball or hockey or NBA) fan anymore. Grew up watching the Philadelphia Iggles and cultured quite a bit of dislike for the Cowboys in my yute. Dislike for the 'Skins grew as I got tired of watching them every Sunday in the early/mid 70s during my Duke years.

duke4ever19
11-30-2016, 10:36 AM
I just can't even.... we basically lost one really good player - josh "i got more trash in my mouth than you do" Norman...

from first to worst..

As a Bucs fan, I enjoy your descent into the NFC South basement.

Highlander
11-30-2016, 11:55 AM
I just can't even... we basically lost one really good player - josh "i got more trash in my mouth than you do" Norman...

from first to worst..

For starters, we didn't just lose Norman, we lost our entire defensive backfield. No one who started this year started last. Norman was definitely a huge hit that we got nothing in return for; not one of Gettleman's finest moments. I agree Norton was by far the best player we lost, but you're going to lose good players from time to time. However, cutting a guy you franchised is a head scratcher. Best quote I saw was from Norman, who described the Panthers secondary getting shredded by Atlanta with the line "Well, you get what you pay for." Ouch. Biggest hit is that this was a prime year for our core guys - Cam, Olsen, KB, Luke. Wasted.

Once the season started, injuries have just been killer. We've lost our starting Pro Bowl Center and our LT to IR, our Pro Bowl MLB is in the concussion protocol for the second time in 2 seasons, and our oft injured RB has been, well, oft injured. And that incredible punter we had that could pin our opponents inside the 10 every time? He's on IR too. Part of me wants them to shelve Luke for the season. This year is already lost; why risk him getting hurt anymore?

As for the guys who have been relatively healthy, I thought Kelvin Benjamin would have taken a step forward, but he has basically stayed the same. Newton has looked reluctant to run and scramble, and his passing (which was always hit or miss) has been more miss than hit. And Graham Gano has started to noticeably slip, to the point that anything over 40 yards is a crapshoot. Heck, he's not even money on extra points. I predict he will be gone by the end of the season. Olsen has been a bright spot, but he's one of the only ones on offense.

And then there are the turnovers. The team that led the league last year in takeaways is at the other end of the scale this year, having already equaled the number of turnovers they committed all of last season in just 10 games.

Just lots of self inflicted problems and injuries for a team that last year seemed to have very few of them.

moonpie23
11-30-2016, 02:11 PM
play calling has been suspect....

BD80
11-30-2016, 02:43 PM
As a Bucs fan, ...

Can you name the other 5?

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2016, 04:16 PM
My one shining beacon after every heart wrenching loss (get my hopes up and then squash them flat!) has been the Sad Panthers Fan writeups on WRAL.com

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/sad-panthers-fan-knows-her-team-can-t-help-but-lose-in-a-win/16266205/

moonpie23
12-05-2016, 10:13 PM
so, instead of some other form of punishment for cam not wearing a tie,(what a HORRIBLE transgression:rolleyes:) river-bottom ron forces an impotent ploy that blows up in their face on the first play, and sets the tone for one of the worst defeats in panther history....

time to go, ron...

Olympic Fan
12-06-2016, 12:47 AM
so, instead of some other form of punishment for cam not wearing a tie,(what a HORRIBLE transgression:rolleyes:) river-bottom ron forces an impotent ploy that blows up in their face on the first play, and sets the tone for one of the worst defeats in panther history...

time to go, ron...

The team has a long-standing dress code for plane trips, which Cam flouted. Rivera asked him to put on a tie, but Cam refused. Several teammates asked Cam to put on a tie, but Cam refused.

And it's Rivera's fault?

I think Cam Newton is one of the major reasons I hate the Panthers -- a whiny baby (his post Super-Bowl meltdown is one of the most disgusting displays ever; his whiny complains about getting hit when he runs are embarrassing). I still remember his shady college career ... to me, this is another example of his selfishness and egomania.

Not a fan of Rivera, but this one is on Cam, not the coach.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-06-2016, 07:11 AM
If Cam Newton ever learns to step into a throw instead of chucking every pass off balance from his back foot, he might actually find some consistent accuracy. Infuriating to watch... not b/c I'm a Panthers fan (I grew up a Bucs fan and have endured more than my share of pain) but because he killed my fantasy prospects AGAIN this year.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2016, 07:26 AM
The team has a long-standing dress code for plane trips, which Cam flouted. Rivera asked him to put on a tie, but Cam refused. Several teammates asked Cam to put on a tie, but Cam refused.

And it's Rivera's fault?

I think Cam Newton is one of the major reasons I hate the Panthers -- a whiny baby (his post Super-Bowl meltdown is one of the most disgusting displays ever; his whiny complains about getting hit when he runs are embarrassing). I still remember his shady college career ... to me, this is another example of his selfishness and egomania.

Not a fan of Rivera, but this one is on Cam, not the coach.

Sign me up for this.

elvis14
12-06-2016, 09:57 AM
so, instead of some other form of punishment for cam not wearing a tie,(what a HORRIBLE transgression:rolleyes:) river-bottom ron forces an impotent ploy that blows up in their face on the first play, and sets the tone for one of the worst defeats in panther history...

time to go, ron...

One year removed from a run to the Super Bowl and you are calling for Ron to "to go"? Really? The punishment is on Cam and I applaud Ron for holding him to the same standards as the rest of the team. Hey Cam, there's no "I" in team!

devildeac
12-06-2016, 10:28 AM
One year removed from a run to the Super Bowl and you are calling for Ron to "to go"? Really? The punishment is on Cam and I applaud Ron for holding him to the same standards as the rest of the team. Hey Cam, there's no "I" in team!

Oh, yes there is:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M9ff00bb08bf9fd7d2baa3ca179048685o0&w=299&h=185&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

elvis14
12-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Oh, yes there is:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M9ff00bb08bf9fd7d2baa3ca179048685o0&w=299&h=185&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Nice. I was expecting the obligatory, "There aint no 'we' neither".

moonpie23
01-02-2017, 11:28 AM
as i re-visit this thread, i still think ron should go....

poor coaching results in teams not being ready for gameday. In-game coaching fluctuates, of course, but having the team mentally ready to play is on the coaching staff..

the panthers have been out of synch for the whole year. If you guys want to blame that on cam, you're missing the bigger picture of what's going on...

Ron and Shula need to go........i don't think that will happen, but that's my feeling...

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Charlotte Panthers to me. No team is referred to with c*rolina in their name from my lips. Zebulon Mudcats (minor league baseball team). Raleigh Hurricanes, too. And folks want a re-count/re-vote on Mount Hatemore reps. Pfffftt.

I did follow them somewhat last year, just not a big pro football (or baseball or hockey or NBA) fan anymore. Grew up watching the Philadelphia Iggles and cultured quite a bit of dislike for the Cowboys in my yute. Dislike for the 'Skins grew as I got tired of watching them every Sunday in the early/mid 70s during my Duke years.
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif They've been the Raleigh Hurricanes and Charlotte Panthers to me as long as they've been in existence! Zebulon Mudcats - isn't that what they're called? I've been to a few games in Five County Stadium, back in the day when I lived in Smithfield. I know the owner, he lives in Smithfield and is a member of the CCJC, as I used to be. Nice guy, but I always gave him grief over his chosen name!

No, no recount necessary! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Devilwin
01-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Saw something once on how the world ends. Here, I will substitute "season" for "world".
This is how the season ends
this is how the season ends
Not with a bang
But with a whimper....
Very disappointing year for the Panthers..However, I grew up a Packers fan. At least I got one team to pull for..

BD80
01-02-2017, 12:57 PM
as i re-visit this thread, i still think ron should go...

poor coaching results in teams not being ready for gameday. In-game coaching fluctuates, of course, but having the team mentally ready to play is on the coaching staff..

the panthers have been out of synch for the whole year. If you guys want to blame that on cam, you're missing the bigger picture of what's going on...

Ron and Shula need to go....i don't think that will happen, but that's my feeling...

There will be quite the coaching carousel this year, with more coveted jobs open than usual - LA Rams, Denver Broncos. I even see the 49rs as one of the better jobs, even though the roster has been laid bare.

If you fire Ron, are you really going to get a great coach to come in and deal with Cam? How long until his rookie contract is up and he starts demanding top dollar, plus a bonus for all the "unfair" hits he endures "without complaint?"

devildeac
01-02-2017, 10:20 PM
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif They've been the Raleigh Hurricanes and Charlotte Panthers to me as long as they've been in existence! Zebulon Mudcats - isn't that what they're called? I've been to a few games in Five County Stadium, back in the day when I lived in Smithfield. I know the owner, he lives in Smithfield and is a member of the CCJC, as I used to be. Nice guy, but I always gave him grief over his chosen name!

No, no recount necessary! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

No, they're the c*rolina Mudcats, or, just the Mudcats to me.

moonpie23
01-02-2017, 11:46 PM
There will be quite the coaching carousel this year, with more coveted jobs open than usual - LA Rams, Denver Broncos. I even see the 49rs as one of the better jobs, even though the roster has been laid bare.

If you fire Ron, are you really going to get a great coach to come in and deal with Cam? How long until his rookie contract is up and he starts demanding top dollar, plus a bonus for all the "unfair" hits he endures "without complaint?"

if i'm not mistaken, cam's "rookie" contract was done in summer, 2015......he's got, like, 100 million dollar deal...

OldPhiKap
01-03-2017, 07:20 AM
if i'm not mistaken, cam's "rookie" contract was done in summer, 2015...he's got, like, 100 million dollar deal...