PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 93, App State 58 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

Bob Green
11-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Hopefully, Grayson Allen is okay. His foot injury continues to be concerning.

tbyers11
11-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Hopefully, Grayson Allen is okay. His foot injury continues to be concerning.

Yeah, it definitely looked like Grayson hurt that toe that I believe he first injured in that awkward fall at the end of the first half vs Kansas.

He drove to the hole pulled up lame in his right foot (the one with bad toe) without stepping on anything. After spending a few minutes on the bench, he walked to the huddle gingerly and the ref asked him what happened. You could see Grayson say "my toe". He looked quite healthy in the first half so tweaking the toe again is unfortunate. Hopefully, it is better by Tuesday.

As for the rest of the game, hot shooting early. Grayson looked great. Some sketchy D at points in the first half. But a very nice first 3 minutes of the second half on both ends to make it a total laugher

DukieInBrasil
11-26-2016, 02:17 PM
Great chance for the bench to contribute, and they sure did! 14pts 16 rebs 3 blocks! Well done.
Nice to see Allen return to good shooting form.
Kennard was way off with his shot today, but he rebounds really well for a guard and had a coupla dimes.
Amile missed out on a 4th strait double-double, but better to let him rest than risk injury.
Yet again, Duke with 5 10-point or better scorers, great balance.

gam7
11-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Yeah, it definitely looked like Grayson hurt that toe that I believe he first injured in that awkward fall at the end of the first half vs Kansas.

He drove to the hole pulled up lame in his right foot (the one with bad toe) without stepping on anything. After spending a few minutes on the bench, he walked to the huddle gingerly and the ref asked him what happened. You could see Grayson say "my toe". He looked quite healthy in the first half so tweaking the toe again is unfortunate. Hopefully, it is better by Tuesday.

I'm starting to think that our team trainer, Annie Wilkes, may have something to do with all of these lower leg problems.

mr. synellinden
11-26-2016, 02:37 PM
I implore everyone to get familiar with this guy (http://angels.about.com/od/RPatronSaints/g/Saint-Raphael-The-Archangel.htm) - whatever faith means to you.

Indoor66
11-26-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm starting to think that our team trainer, Annie Wilkes, may have something to do with all of these lower leg problems.

Are you sure that the team trainer is not Nurse Ratchet?

NashvilleDevil
11-26-2016, 02:50 PM
The Hobbled 3 will not play against Michigan St.

jv001
11-26-2016, 03:05 PM
I thought before Grayson tweaked his toe/foot, he showed more lift on his shot. He looked to have more confidence in his game as well. I'm hoping he's ready for Michigan State. GoDuke!

wavedukefan70s
11-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Id be willing to give up allen the next game to get everyone healthy.
Regroup get ready for a championship run.if we can be ready by january.

devildeac
11-26-2016, 03:45 PM
WTH? No vigil yet? :rolleyes:

DU82
11-26-2016, 04:05 PM
During the game, I noticed that Grayson was not diving on the floor for balls the same way he did previously. I thought he was protecting his foot/leg/shoulder. He was mostly a spot up shooter and didn't do too bad. (During warmups for the second half, I think he missed only one of the dozens he shot.) Not a lot of drives to the basket, either. He left that for Frank. As previously mentioned, when Grayson went out, he sat at the end of the bench with Jose for a long time, hunched over in a lot of pain.

Overall, a lot more energy from the team than on Wednesday. Good to see the bench get so much playing time. I thought Antonio in particular played well. A little sloppy at the end, which is why K called the full TO with 2 minutes left. He didn't chew out the team, but was clearly unhappy.

SupaDave
11-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Vrank was spectacular today. Jeter and Javin took a backseat to him. What a pleasant development.

Everyone but the walk-ons played today.

dukelifer
11-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Vrank was spectacular today. Jeter and Javin took a backseat to him. What a pleasant development.

Everyone but the walk-ons played today.

Vrank is a decent player. He can be as good as Marshall down low. He is big, knows his strengths and will only get stronger.

Dukehky
11-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Vrank is a decent player. He can be as good as Marshall down low. He is big, knows his strengths and will only get stronger.

I think he's our best bench player right now. Jeter was playing well, but he is clearly hobbled and still just throws the ball at the hoop.

Vrank's ceiling is much closer to Zoubek's than Marshall. Marshall had little touch around the rim to speak of but was a physical freak. Vrank is a big body with a couple post moves and some decent touch, but he is greatly lacking in the athleticism department (as far as for 7 footer basketball players go I suppose).

He's gonna have to play and play well until the other bigs get back and get healthy.

I sure do wish we could get healthy though...

arnie
11-26-2016, 06:02 PM
The Hobbled 3 will not play against Michigan St.

So Allen and Jeter are out - who's the third?

uh_no
11-26-2016, 06:21 PM
So Allen and Jeter are out - who's the third?

Tatum Giles Bolden

dukebballcamper90-91
11-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Vrank's free throw stroke looks darn good. We need to pick it up on defense just a tad bit. They beat us multiple times on backdoor cuts. We did a good job on the glass today.

Newton_14
11-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Tatum Giles Bolden
Someone's sarcasm meter needs calibrating...:cool:

devildeac
11-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Someone's sarcasm meter needs calibrating...:cool:

Hey, I resemble that remark :o .

JasonEvans
11-26-2016, 07:43 PM
In the DBR's writeup of the game, Jim Sumner says --

Jefferson led Duke with five assists. The last time he led a team in assists? He’s says he can’t remember if it’s ever happened before.

12/2/15... vs Indiana (http://www.espn.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400809408). Perhaps Duke's best game of last season.

Newton_14
11-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark :o .
Well, I wasn't going to bring that up....:cool:

I hope Grayson is ok. He landed on the foot of an App St player. I thought it was an ankle turn similar to Chase, but sounds like it was the toe again.

Grayson came out so strong today, looking like the player of the year candidate we were expecting. Having him get re-injured just stinks.

But like I said in the Carter thread, when/if we finally get healthy, the team we trot out there is going to look nothing like the team we have put on the floor so far this year. I was so excited in the pre-season and admit the wait is starting to get to me. It's just weird how the injuries have been handled. Grayson and Chase go out there looking a lot less healthy than Giles, Bolden, and Tatum...I am ready to see our full complement of players.

jv001
11-27-2016, 07:05 AM
Well, I wasn't going to bring that up...:cool:

I hope Grayson is ok. He landed on the foot of an App St player. I thought it was an ankle turn similar to Chase, but sounds like it was the toe again.

Grayson came out so strong today, looking like the player of the year candidate we were expecting. Having him get re-injured just stinks.

But like I said in the Carter thread, when/if we finally get healthy, the team we trot out there is going to look nothing like the team we have put on the floor so far this year. I was so excited in the pre-season and admit the wait is starting to get to me. It's just weird how the injuries have been handled. Grayson and Chase go out there looking a lot less healthy than Giles, Bolden, and Tatum...I am ready to see our full complement of players.

This has been my thought as well. The 3 freshmen have been on the bench but Grayson and Jeter have been playing. I think this is kind of odd but K get's the real big $$$$$$$$$$$$$, so who am I to second guess the GOAT. GoDuke!

Indoor66
11-27-2016, 07:50 AM
This has been my thought as well. The 3 freshmen have been on the bench but Grayson and Jeter have been playing. I think this is kind of odd but K get's the real big $$$$$$$$$$$$$, so who am I to second guess the GOAT. GoDuke!

I know nothing - but maybe it relates to the nature of the injury and likelihood of aggravation or further injury?

Devilwin
11-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Coach said after the game Grayson stubbed his toe again, says he hopes he will be able to go Tuesday against MSU. I think he'll go.

TruBlu
11-27-2016, 08:30 AM
Coach said after the game Grayson stubbed his toe again, says he hopes he will be able to go Tuesday against MSU. I think he'll go.

Unless he's 'tied down with battleship chains'

(Georgia Satellites)

uh_no
11-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Unless he's 'tied down with battleship chains'

(Georgia Satellites)

I can lend those yellow ropes we use to block the court after the game if need be....

duke74
11-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Here's the story from the App State perspective. The reporter is the son of a friend of mine who now lives in the Charlotte area.

http://theappalachianonline.com/2016/11/26/blue-devils-much-handle-mountaineers/

mattman91
11-27-2016, 10:51 AM

Dear God. I hope it doesn't turn in to this again...

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23559-Saving-Kyrie-s-Toe-amp-Other-Toe-tal-Chatter-(From-the-Vigil-Thread)

azzefkram
11-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Nice to see the bench get a bunch of court time. I thought Vrank looked solid. Javin and Jack had their moments. It was good to rest up our nicked up players. I have a nagging suspicion we won't see the Hobbled 3 until UNLV. That would give them a game, a layoff, two games, another layoff and then ACC. Not ideal but lemonade from lemons.

kmspeaks
11-27-2016, 12:15 PM
It's just weird how the injuries have been handled. Grayson and Chase go out there looking a lot less healthy than Giles, Bolden, and Tatum...I am ready to see our full complement of players.

I know nothing - but maybe it relates to the nature of the injury and likelihood of aggravation or further injury?

Just about every coach I've ever had has always drawn a distinction between being hurt and being injured. Hurt players can play through pain, injured players are physically unable to play regardless of their toughness or desire. I think it's really as simple as that.

freshmanjs
11-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Just about every coach I've ever had has always drawn a distinction between being hurt and being injured. Hurt players can play through pain, injured players are physically unable to play regardless of their toughness or desire. I think it's really as simple as that.

So, Chase Jeter was not injured last Sunday?

kmspeaks
11-27-2016, 03:34 PM
So, Chase Jeter was not injured last Sunday?

No, he was hurt. Let me elaborate a little.

Hurt = scrapes, cuts, bruises, sprains, or strains - these can be painful and limit performance but playing with them does not risk further damage
Injured = broken bones, torn ligaments, tendons, or muscles, or anything in the hurt category that because of its location or severity has a risk of leading to a more serious injury - for example people typically don't play with even a minor hamstring strain because of the risk of a more severe strain or tear

So we have three options here:

A) Grayson and Chase are playing hurt much like Matt last year, Jahlil the year before, or Seth Curry in 2013. Harry, Jayson, and Marques are injured and will play when they are healed and cleared by trainers/doctors.

B) Grayson, Chase, Harry, Jayson, and Marques are injured and Grayson and Chase are being asked to or allowed to play while the other 3 are not, maybe because of their age or NBA draft status.

C) Grayson, Chase, Harry, Jayson, and Marques are hurt and the first 2 are playing through it while the other 3 are not, maybe because of their age or NBA draft status.

Now this is not aimed at you specifically freshman, but there have been a string of posts in several threads that have implied B or C and I find that absurd. I know people are frustrated at not getting to see our full team on the court but to believe B or C requires us to believe something negative about either K and the medical staff or our 3 sitting freshmen that is ridiculous absent some actual proof.

freshmanjs
11-27-2016, 05:17 PM
No, he was hurt. Let me elaborate a little.

But, last Saturday, Chase was injured? He must have been because if he were merely hurt on Saturday, he would have played. So, sometime between Saturday and Sunday, he went from injured to hurt.

In 2015, when Jah rolled his ankle during UNC game, he was initially hurt (came back in the game), then was injured (missed Clemson game), then was hurt (played rest of games)?

Saratoga2
11-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Tatum Giles Bolden

They sound like the legal team of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe from the old Bob and Ray show. A little levity is needed on the injury front at this point.

6th Man
11-27-2016, 06:11 PM
I've found the start of the season to be one of the more frustrating so far in all of the seasons that I remember. I can remember games pretty clearly back to the early 80's. Banks and Gminksi are a little fuzzy but Dawkins, Alarie, D. Henderson and Bilas are very well ingrained into my memory.

I think coming into this season there was a sense of a special year somewhat like the expectations of 1992 and 1999. We are soon to be 8 games in and from what I understand, still no signs of our prized 3 freshmen. I'm not doing the math as I'm not looking at how many games are remaining, but am assuming we will not see these guys for 25-33% of our season. I'd have to imagine that is eating at these 3 guys as this is their one college season.

The one thing that has bothered me is that I heard Coach K say that he was shutting the 3 freshmen down because he didn't want any injuries to linger this season. Regardless of the injuries if you make a statement like that, then Allen and Jeter should have been shut down too. Obviously Allen's injury is lingering. I just wish Duke would call it what it is. It's the protection of 3 lottery picks and not doing anything to jeopardize their future. Now I absolutely think that Coach K has to do that and especially with our one and done approach. This probably only helps him with future one and dones as they see K has their best interest at heart. I just think it should be called what it is. When I have watched Grayson limp around for several straight games I go back to K's comments about shutting down the 3 to avoid anything lingering.

I know a lot don't agree and that is perfectly fine. We are all entitled to our own opinions. I just don't see consistency in the statements and what is actually occurring. Having said all that, I'm hoping the 3 make it back injury free and the special season we were all anticipating soon takes off. I think our team minus the 3 to this point is still a tremendous team capable of doing special things. I can't imagine what it could be like when the big 3 get integrated back in. Should be fun!

Wheat/"/"/"
11-27-2016, 08:53 PM
I've found the start of the season to be one of the more frustrating so far in all of the seasons that I remember. I can remember games pretty clearly back to the early 80's. Banks and Gminksi are a little fuzzy but Dawkins, Alarie, D. Henderson and Bilas are very well ingrained into my memory.

I think coming into this season there was a sense of a special year somewhat like the expectations of 1992 and 1999. We are soon to be 8 games in and from what I understand, still no signs of our prized 3 freshmen. I'm not doing the math as I'm not looking at how many games are remaining, but am assuming we will not see these guys for 25-33% of our season. I'd have to imagine that is eating at these 3 guys as this is their one college season.

The one thing that has bothered me is that I heard Coach K say that he was shutting the 3 freshmen down because he didn't want any injuries to linger this season. Regardless of the injuries if you make a statement like that, then Allen and Jeter should have been shut down too. Obviously Allen's injury is lingering. I just wish Duke would call it what it is. It's the protection of 3 lottery picks and not doing anything to jeopardize their future. Now I absolutely think that Coach K has to do that and especially with our one and done approach. This probably only helps him with future one and dones as they see K has their best interest at heart. I just think it should be called what it is. When I have watched Grayson limp around for several straight games I go back to K's comments about shutting down the 3 to avoid anything lingering.

I know a lot don't agree and that is perfectly fine. We are all entitled to our own opinions. I just don't see consistency in the statements and what is actually occurring. Having said all that, I'm hoping the 3 make it back injury free and the special season we were all anticipating soon takes off. I think our team minus the 3 to this point is still a tremendous team capable of doing special things. I can't imagine what it could be like when the big 3 get integrated back in. Should be fun!

Coach K is a leader, and leaders get all the hard decisions.

The question for the OAD guys is at what point is a injury risk too great? It's a tough one with no clear, one size fits all, answer for players already injured and a certain NBA future.

IMO, It has to be determined by each individual player, first and foremost, or it will bite the coach later if an unfortunate injury was to happen and the player felt rushed. The player has to be 100% confident he's ready.

All a coach can do is give the best advice he can and input from the medical staff then let the player decide.

One thing is certain, these kids are mainly focused on getting to the NBA as healthy and as fast as possible. The last thing Coach K would want is to be accused of rushing a player back, so he's taking his time. As he should.

Coach K would never want to put a kids future career at risk, he's a players coach. I think they start playing as soon as they tell him they are ready.

For a player with an uncertain NBA path, it's an easy call. You play and take the gamble, it's what players do.

Players always want to play, but for a certain NBA draft pick, it's less clear on what amount of risk is acceptable to them, and each individual is different. Millions are at stake.

Coach K is likely to continue to err on the side of caution early in the season, especially while Duke continues to win and there's no rush. And he'll also be very cautious with their PT when they do decide to come back.