PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. App State (Sat 11/26, 12 ET, RSN TV) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Duke takes on Appalachian State this Saturday at noon in Cameron. The game will be on regional sports networks. I haven't seen a coverage map yet or a specific list of networks. More to come soon.

Bob Green
11-24-2016, 09:56 AM
I haven't seen a coverage map yet...

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38879-Viewing-Options-for-App-State-Game

Indoor66
11-24-2016, 10:20 AM
The game is on SunSports in South Florida.

richardjackson199
11-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Fox Sports South in Winston-Salem

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-24-2016, 11:53 AM
ESPN3-ACC Network Extra

budwom
11-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Originally this had been scheduled as a 7pm game, and appears as such on some schedules, so certain people have to take note of the time change (e.g. me).

MChambers
11-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Channel 576, CSNMA in DC area.

Tappan Zee Devil
11-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Apparently,
YES (the Yankee station) in NYC

toughbuff1
11-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Any word on if any of the injured freshmen are playing?

uh_no
11-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Any word on if any of the injured freshmen are playing?

as these injuries go, we'll usually find out as they show up on the floor in normal warmups, and then go into the game.

Native
11-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Originally this had been scheduled as a 7pm game, and appears as such on some schedules, so certain people have to take note of the time change (e.g. me).

Thought I was going crazy — could've sworn this was a 7PM tip!

hallcity
11-24-2016, 07:16 PM
Any hope for Giles playing? K said he was the closest to returning of the injured frosh.

Newton_14
11-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Any hope for Giles playing? K said he was the closest to returning of the injured frosh.

I would think so based both on what I saw and heard last night. It would make sense if Giles is ready, to get some "feet wet" minutes in the App St game and then be more acclimated heading into the Mich St game.

But, at this point, I have learned to expect the worst and hope for the best in terms of the injured playing in a given game. (Worst, meaning they don't play that game. I'm not going for the foolishness of them not playing at all)

UrinalCake
11-24-2016, 07:53 PM
I was at the W&M game. All three freshmen took shots during the very early shootaround (an hour before the game). Once the team came out for actual pre-game warmups, Tatum sat in a chair watching while Giles and Bolden went through the layup line. Giles even lightly dunked a couple times. Those two also participated in warmups before the start of the second half. It certainly feels like they are close to being ready to play.

I'm hoping we come out looking a little sharper this time. Against W&M we had very little energy and most of our offense was shooting threes. Can't blame the team for being tired physically and emotionally, but we'd like for them to keep improving every game.

TruBlu
11-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Well, the "out of action/injury bug" has spread to the fan base. I was supposed to attend App State with The Wife of TruBlu, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter. The Wife of TruBlu has a virus and the daughter is having morning sickness. Looks like only the son-in-law and I will be making the trip.

Please, no need to start a vigil for them (yet). But myself and son-in-law may be in the doghouse upon our return, and may need a vigil.

PirateDevil119
11-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Not sure where this belongs, so please move this post if necessary. I will be attending my first game next month and will be sitting (standing) in section 17 where the crazies sit (stand). I want to ensure that I am in the front row floor level, so I know I should plan to arrive early. My question is, how early should I get there for a 7:00 tipoff? Also, is there any other decorum I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
11-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Not sure where this belongs, so please move this post if necessary. I will be attending my first game next month and will be sitting (standing) in section 17 where the crazies sit (stand). I want to ensure that I am in the front row floor level, so I know I should plan to arrive early. My question is, how early should I get there for a 7:00 tipoff? Also, is there any other decorum I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Go Duke!

Can't tell your the time and I'm the wrong one to ask about decorum. What I can tell you is: have a blast, cheer loudly, and participate in whatever happens to come along. Ad-libbing by the crowd is part of the fun.

Saratoga2
11-25-2016, 09:11 AM
as these injuries go, we'll usually find out as they show up on the floor in normal warmups, and then go into the game.

It has been an interesting year for injuries so far. With a 16 man roster, we have Obi (Not expected to play this year) and the three freshmen who have yet to play a game.

Obi, Tatum, Giles, Bolden

We have the walking wounded, although recovering game to game

Jeter, Allen, Jefferson

And the healthy players

Kennard, DeLaurier,Jones, Jackson, Vrankovic, White, Pagliuca, Robinson, Besser

I would think practices are light to avoid getting any one else hurt. Still, with Jeter and Jefferson nearly at full strength, we should have enough to beat App St. If Giles can get into the game for some minutes, it will be a plus for him to get some in game reps prior to the real test of mich St.

Newton_14
11-25-2016, 09:52 AM
It has been an interesting year for injuries so far. With a 16 man roster, we have Obi (Not expected to play this year) and the three freshmen who have yet to play a game.

Obi, Tatum, Giles, Bolden

We have the walking wounded, although recovering game to game

Jeter, Allen, Jefferson

And the healthy players

Kennard, DeLaurier,Jones, Jackson, Vrankovic, White, Pagliuca, Robinson, Besser

I would think practices are light to avoid getting any one else hurt. Still, with Jeter and Jefferson nearly at full strength, we should have enough to beat App St. If Giles can get into the game for some minutes, it will be a plus for him to get some in game reps prior to the real test of mich St.

After attending the W&M game and getting an up close view of the guys, I don't think Chase is close to a 100% unfortunately. His lack of normal lift is the most noticeable thing, but he is also struggling with lateral agility at the moment too. I am still amazed he was able to provide spot minutes last Sunday. Don't know how they accomplished that. Hopefully he gets enough treatment during this 2.5 week stretch where they don't leave the friendly confines of home/campus, to get back to 100%. Same wish for Grayson.

hallcity
11-25-2016, 10:28 AM

Go Duke!

Gates open one hour before tip so that's when you should be there. You can get into the hall of fame before that.

fraggler
11-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Go Duke!

I'm seeing that the game is at 12pm. So you might want to check on the time. It has been a long time since I was a student in the Crazies' section, but even for a Thanksgiving weekend game, I'd imagine you would need to be there several hours prior, especially if you want front row. Good luck, and have a blast!

Olympic Fan
11-25-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm seeing that the game is at 12pm. So you might want to check on the time. It has been a long time since I was a student in the Crazies' section, but even for a Thanksgiving weekend game, I'd imagine you would need to be there several hours prior, especially if you want front row. Good luck, and have a blast!

Actually, last Wednesday night, they only opened the doors one hour before tipoff -- although there were a couple of hundred people in line then.

And nobody really gets first row -- the front rows are blocked by the benches and scorer's table on one side; press row on the other; special guest seats in the end zones.

DavidBenAkiva
11-25-2016, 11:43 AM
My fiancée is diligently preparing for a job interview next week, which leaves me with a lot of free time this Black Friday. So I wrote a game preview. I hope you enjoy it!

First, the question on everyone's mind: will the Freshmen Ward play on Saturday? I doubt it, but the important thing to keep in mind is "soon." Stephen Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun had some quotes from Coach K up after the William & Mary game. In a surprising turn of events, Harry Giles, followed by Marques Bolden, appear closest to returning (https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/801611671445848064) to action. We know the most about Jayson Tatum's injury - foot sprain - which occurred during the Pro Day practice. That seemed like the smallest of injuries compared to the vague "lower leg issue" of Bolden and the far more serious situation with Harry Giles. And yet, all three freshmen suited up for William & Mary while Giles and Bolden participated in pre-game warmups (https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/801570480603992064). So the answer to the question is that we don't know when one ore more of the freshmen will return, but it looks promising for December.

Now on to the matchup with Appalachian State. The Mountaineers are, in a word, mediocre. They enter the game at 2-2, losing by double-digit margins to Davidson and Tennessee followed by a blowout win over Warren Wilson (non-DI) and 9-point victory over Hartford. Everybody plays for 3rd-year coach Jim Fox. Of the 15 players on the roster, 12 have been in all 4 game. The player with the most minutes is averaging a scant 25.5 per game while the 12th man is getting 7.5 minutes a contest.

The men from Boone are guard-oriented with 5 of their 6 top scorers playing in the backcourt. Sophomore guard Ronshad Shabazz is the primary scorer. The 6'5" shooter has taken more than twice as many field goal attempts as the next closest player while dishing out exactly 3 assists on the season. Averaging 17.3 points in just 25.5 minutes per contest shows how good of a scorer this kid is. It shouldn't be surprising that he has a usage rate of 31.5%. Sounds like a good assignment for Matt Jones. Freshman Patrick Good is also a gunner, shooting 12-22 from deep (54.5%). The 6 footer appears stuck on the perimeter as he has only attempted 6 field goal attempts inside the arc so far. A few other guards are putting up a modest amount of shot attempts per game. Junior Jake Babbit and freshman Kelvin Robinson are the primary distributors, but neither is averaging more than 3 assists per game. Robinson has almost as many turnovers as assists on the young season.

Up front, the Mountaineers have some height to throw at the Blue Devils, if only in spurts. The roster includes 5 men 6'8" or taller, topping out with sophomore center and Raleigh native Jake Wilson at 7'1". Junior Griffin Kenney, sophomore Tyrell Johnson, and freshman Isaac Johnson get the majority of the playing time as forwards/centers. Two of them weigh in at just 200 points each, so posting up might not prove to be much of a problem for either Amile Jefferson or Chase Jeter.

In his third year, coach Jim Fox has assembled a team mostly of his own players. With just one senior on the squad, the Mountaineers hope to improve off of a 9-22 campaign that saw them end the season missing out on the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament. The team appears to be overmatched against a talented if injured Blue Devils squad. It should be another opportunity to see the team execute on both ends of the court in front of a friendly crowd while providing opportunities for Javin DeLaurier, Antonio Vrankovic, and Jack White to make a case for expanded roles. I expect another blowout victory with the Blue Devils winning by 30+. Let's Go Duke!

WiJoe
11-25-2016, 02:54 PM
I would be surprised to see any of the freshmen play before the Dec. 3 Maine game, at the earliest.

Edouble
11-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Gates open one hour before tip so that's when you should be there. You can get into the hall of fame before that.

In his post though, he says that he wants to be sure that he is front row, floor level!

He needs to get there much earlier than the time that the doors open, I would think.

awhom111
11-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Duke takes on Appalachian State this Saturday at noon in Cameron. The game will be on regional sports networks. I haven't seen a coverage map yet or a specific list of networks. More to come soon.

Somehow the ACC still has not managed to post an official list of stations.

Dukehky
11-25-2016, 05:31 PM
I'd be shocked to see any of the kids play either tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Would love to see them on the floor.

Dukemomof2
11-25-2016, 07:16 PM
It's going to be on channel 50 if you're in the Raleigh area and have Time Warner.

Indoor66
11-25-2016, 07:19 PM
South Florida Comcast is HD Channel 402.

gep
11-25-2016, 09:29 PM
WatchESPN / ACC Network Extra... Fortunately, I can stream this on my Apple TV in HD on my HDTV. JOY!!!:cool:

awhom111
11-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Somehow the ACC still has not managed to post an official list of stations.

They finally have one:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-rsn-appalachian-state-at-duke-11-26-2016

DukieInBrasil
11-26-2016, 09:46 AM
WatchESPN / ACC Network Extra... Fortunately, I can stream this on my Apple TV in HD on my HDTV. JOY!!!:cool:

but can you stream it on your dongle? :cool:

riverside6
11-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/App State, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/appalachian-state-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11262016

DavidBenAkiva
11-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Bolden and Giles both participated in warmups again today while Tatum dressed but remained on the sideline. Sean Obi is in "street clothes" again. It certainly looks like Bolden and Giles are near court time, if not today. I doubt they play against App State or Michigan State on Tuesday, but early December looks promising.

In other news, the starting five is small ball again: Jackson-Allen-Jones-Kennard-Jefferson

fuse
11-26-2016, 01:16 PM
The FSN feed on TWC is horrible at best.

rsvman
11-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Grayson tweaking the ankle again? He was finally looking like he was feeling better....

ChillinDuke
11-26-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure exactly what happened to Grayson. I played it in slo-mo. It didn't look like he made contact with someone. Didn't land on someone's ankle of even really get in the air. He was cutting and on a pass he maybe caught his foot on an App State player's hip as he ran by. But nothing seemed particularly quirky about it.

Ugh

- Chillin